PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite songs by the Impressions?

test

soulster
12-29-2011, 11:28 PM
I love the music of the Impressions, especially with Curtis Mayfield in the group. I grew up with them as my father was a huge fan. I am most familiar with the first five albums, and thereafter a few singles.

Yeah, It reads like almost a singles compilation, but here are my favorites:

Gypsy Woman
Sad Sad Girl And Boy
I'm So Proud
That's What Love Will Do
I've Been Trying
I Ain't Supposed To
Amen
Talking About My Baby
You Must Believe Me
Keep On Pushing
People Get Ready
Meeting Over Yonder
You've Been Cheating
We're A Winner
I Loved And Lost
Fool For You
Choice Of Colors
This Is My Country

REDHOT
12-29-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm So Proud,Keep On Pushing,We're A Winner,People Get Ready,This Is My Country,You Must Believe.
Please stay positive

paladin
12-30-2011, 12:12 AM
All of those you mentioned and so many more from the original group including Jerry Butler plus the later albums that featured Leroy Hutson and then Ralph Johnson on lead vocals, and now we have Reggie Torian doing the honors. I just saw this so I decided to contribute, but their catalog is so vast and covers so many years, that it'll take me some time to gather my favorites. Let me put it this way, I was aware and a fan of their music before I ever knew what a Temptation was.........:cool::cool::cool:

motony
12-30-2011, 10:54 AM
1)Its Alright 2)Keep On Pushin 3)Were A Winner 4)Check Out Your mine 5)Fool For You

daddyacey
12-31-2011, 04:14 AM
paladin said it so nicely, but direct. There is Impressions with Mayfield and then without plus others. I have to say all with Mayfield ,no question. And without , well Mr. Mayfield was such an important part of the IMPRESSIONS being and sound, that when he left it had to be a tramatic yet needed break for all the members. Sort of like Smokey leaving the Miracles. Yet more than IMO Jerry leaving them ,only because he left them so early on. Like too many cooks spoil the soup. The four of them was just too much. The Curtis lead Impressions were a force to be reconed with. Extrodinary is more the word with Curtis's writing and producing, he had no choice but to branch off on his own. Yet he kept an eye on them after he left because his input was a crucial part of their sound. As for post Mayfield tracks of Impressions I love are ,"The Same Thing It Took", "Sooner Or Later" and First Impressions" from the 1975 album and the 76 album ,both on CURTOM. The Cotillion LP is nice , but............

soulster
12-31-2011, 10:24 AM
To me, it was always about Mayfield. He was the force behind it all, and without him, there would have been nothing. Jerry Butler or not, it doesn't matter. When Mayfield went solo in 1970, look what happened. The Impressions stopped having hits for a long time. Even with the last Impressions hits of the 60s, it was basically solo Curtis.

arrr&bee
01-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Always good to see something on the impressions...so many great songs my fav is-never could you be!

robb_k
01-03-2012, 08:22 PM
1. I'm So Proud
2. Gypsy Woman
3. Senorita I Love You
4. Never Let Me Go
5. Young Lover
6. It's All Right
7. You've Been Cheatin'
8. Talking About My Baby
9. You Must Believe Me
10. I'm The One Who Loves You

MotownSteve
01-03-2012, 08:40 PM
You've Been Cheating and Can't Satisfy

mr_june
01-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Yes, it is always good to see something on those fine fellows. Very good memories of them growing up.

arrr&bee
01-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Remember[ilse of sirens]?curtis probobly got the idea from the movie[mutiny on the bounty]curtis was badddd!!