PDA

View Full Version : Motown Girl Groups: Did They ever do anything together?

test

dzMusica
12-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Hello Motown Peps!

Have the Motown Girl Groups ever performed or recorded together? I know they did some with the guys but with each other that I haven't heard off?

dzMusica

arrr&bee
12-29-2011, 12:16 PM
You know that's a very good question which would've been something very cool if motown had done it[and i have never seen anything on such a project]it would have been very cool on something[of course we have to remember that miss ross would've commanded the lion's share of leads and that would've gone over like a ton of bricks so maybe berry put such a thing on the shelf to save himself a civil war,hehehehe!!]

smark21
12-29-2011, 01:05 PM
I seem to recall reading that Rosalind Ashford is singing on The Marvelettes song "Silly Boy".

marybrewster
12-29-2011, 02:20 PM
I seem to recall hearing that the Andantes lent their vocals to a Supremes song; I forget which one.

marybrewster
12-29-2011, 02:22 PM
And that was a joke, thank you, I'll be here all week.

The only thing I can think of, truly, would be Florence Ballard going out and touring as a Marvelette, unless you also want to consider the famous [[infamous?) "battle" between the Velvelettes and the Supremes.....where the Velvelettes won.

dzMusica
12-29-2011, 02:43 PM
And that was a joke, thank you, I'll be here all week.

The only thing I can think of, truly, would be Florence Ballard going out and touring as a Marvelette, unless you also want to consider the famous [[infamous?) "battle" between the Velvelettes and the Supremes.....where the Velvelettes won.

What battle between the Velvelettes and the Supremes.?

dzMusica
12-29-2011, 02:46 PM
You know that's a very good question which would've been something very cool if motown had done it[and i have never seen anything on such a project]it would have been very cool on something[of course we have to remember that miss ross would've commanded the lion's share of leads and that would've gone over like a ton of bricks so maybe berry put such a thing on the shelf to save himself a civil war,hehehehe!!]

Well, there probably would have been world war 3 at motown because of the girls but the finished product would have been good LOL

dzMusica

arrr&bee
12-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Oh yeah it would've been real good..of course you know that diana would've done the[intro spoken part-the first verse solo-the middle verses-the last verse with everyone else mixed waaaaaay in the back]hehehehehehehe!!!

Jimi LaLumia
12-29-2011, 04:24 PM
can you imagine Ross doing ANYTHING with Gladys Horton or Martha Reeves?...have ANOTHER drink...

Roger Polhill
12-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Well they accompanied Brenda Holloway on "Goin` To A Go-Go" and the Temptations on "Not Now I`ll Tell You Later" if that is any help.

danman869
12-29-2011, 09:14 PM
"Going To A Go-Go" was originally recorded for The Supremes [[for the "A' Go-Go" sessions, I'm sure) and Brenda Holloway simply overdubbed her vocals onto the track...and then it was promptly put on the shelf. I don't think for one minute that Mary and Florence were brought in to record with Miss Brenda Holloway. In the early days [[see Rosalind Ashford supposedly singing background on The Marvelettes' "Silly Boy" as mentioned above), that might have happened occasionally, but... by 1966, everyone else was way too busy to come in to sing background for someone else's record--they had their own records and tours to worry about. [[And "Not Now, I'll Tell You Later" was recorded by The Tempts and The Supremes in 1963...in those early days I mentioned.)

Roger Polhill
12-29-2011, 09:34 PM
The "battle" was when the Velvelettes and Supremes squared off at the Graystone Ballroom on 28 th. February 1964.Both of the sets are available.The Velvelettes on "Motown Anthology" and the Supremes on "Meet The Supremes" expanded edition. Judge for yourselves.

johnjeb
12-29-2011, 10:26 PM
I seem to recall hearing that the Andantes lent their vocals to a Supremes song; I forget which one.

ROTFLMAO

I think that was the funniest post I have ever read on this Forum.

And to think I wasn't even going to bother with this thread and only did so at the last moment before I logged off for the night. I hope I can get to sleep without laughing.

Thanks, marybrewster!

marybrewster
12-29-2011, 11:49 PM
From a previous thread; in depth info on the Velvelettes VS. Supremes:

http://faac.us/adf/messages/131452/133272.html?1167249544