PDA

View Full Version : Isley Brothers - Soul On The Rocks

test

justanothermotownfan
12-28-2011, 05:05 PM
I've had this album [[CD) for quite some time but could never really get into it; I never liked the stereo master. But I recently just picked up the Isley's Motown Anthology which has their two albums in MONO and man it blew me away! What a seriously underrated album! I think every track is strong, especially "That's The Way Love Is." Makes me wonder why this album wasn't bigger than it was back in 1967...

Many thanks to those involved in putting the project together. "Nevermore," an unrelased track on disc 2 is haunting. One of their finer Motown moments, IMO.

thisoldheart
12-28-2011, 05:32 PM
i have always thought the isley's best work was on motown. most people would disagree [[including the isley bros,!)

justanothermotownfan
12-28-2011, 06:10 PM
They have recorded some OUTSTANDING tracks with Motown but it doesn't seem like they were promoted much, which is odd. I never cared for the cover tracks they did [[Stop! In The Name Of Love, Just Ain't Enough Love, etc), with the exception of Take Me In Your Arms.

Roger Polhill
12-28-2011, 07:18 PM
I`ve always liked the Isley Brothers` Motown work too and there are some great songs- "Got To Have You Back", "Tell Me It`s Just A Rumour Baby" etc. not a dud track and of course "Behind A Painted Smile".The Funk Bros. version of "Rumour" has so much energy, don`t play it in the car or you`ll get a speeding ticket.

robb_k
12-28-2011, 10:26 PM

i have always thought the isley's best work was on motown. most people would disagree [[including the isley bros,!)
I've always thought so, too!

motony
12-28-2011, 10:28 PM
The Isley like Gladys Knight & the Pips were known to have a killer stage show.I think Motown signed both acts so THEY[[Motown)could control their careers , if they hit record wise so be it, BUT they didn't want competetion for their top tier artists.Good business move.

soulster
12-28-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't care Much for the Isley Brothers music until 1969, when they restarted T-Neck Records. I like the album they did with Jimi Hendrix on Atlantic, though.

Motown4Ever518
12-29-2011, 09:59 AM
I "discovered" this album in 1980, and played it to death. I found it on CD about 1995 and was very, very happy. I must say however, that the Anthology left me a tad disappointed. The Mono mix to me wasn't as clear as it could have been, I was really looking forward to this becoming available. What was disappointing to me was the lack of recording information. I agree overall there were too many covers, but I actually prefer Ronnie Isleys take over Mr. Ruffin on "Little Miss Sweetness", [[There was an excellent thread about this a few months back). Overall this was one of the best "Play Both Sides" album of the "Golden Era", however I felt as though they were in a box during their tenure at the label. And if one could agree that they were under promoted, curiously, they had a lot of single releases during the two years they were on Motown.

RossHolloway
12-29-2011, 11:09 AM
@Motony, I don't think Motown signed either the Isleys or GKATP to stop them from competing with other Motown acts but rather because those two groups were TALENTED and added value to Motown. When both acts were signed to Motown both groups were at a lull and weren't really hitting big on the charts. For me personally, I think both groups did some of their best and most memorable work while signed with Motown.

Do I think they both could have been more successful and had bigger hits while with Motown? Yes, of course, but I also think people have to be mindful of all the other successful acts that were signed to the company at the time. The Isleys and GKATP had to compete for attention not just with the Supremes, but also with the Temptation, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops, Martha & The Vandellas, Stevie Wonder, The Miracles and a few others who had been at the company long before they came to the company.

mysterysinger
12-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Isley's fantastic but very under-rated on their Motown stuff, even by me for far too many years. Just like the original post, I couldn't get into the Soul On The Rocks album for a long time and I guess as I've grown older I appreciate these things more.

motony
12-29-2011, 05:00 PM
I like Gladys Knight & the Pips Motown recordings as the best of their career. The Isleys I like their T-Neck funky stuff the best.

Motown Eddie
01-01-2012, 01:05 PM
I read an article about The Isley Brothers in Goldmine magazine back in the early '90s and Ronald Isley stated that when The Isley Bros. first record on Motown, "This Old Heart Of Mine", became a major hit, other Motown acts started to complain about the fact that H-D-H gave the then new-comers at the label such a classic track right out of the box. The upshot of that was, H-D-H stopped working with them. Also, DJ's in the mid '60s around the country started programming Motown records based on who wrote and produced them and many of them didn't play The Isley Bros. records when they started working with other writing and production teams on the label. Finally, like Gladys Knight & the Pips, The Isley Bros. were not on Motown's "A" list when it came to promotion so they received less TV and radio exposure than The Supremes, The Tempts, Four Tops and others.

nabob
01-02-2012, 09:59 AM
. . . like Gladys Knight & the Pips, The Isley Bros. were not on Motown's "A" list when it came to promotion so they received less TV and radio exposure than The Supremes, The Tempts, Four Tops and others.I would bet that Gladys Knight & the Pips also were signed to the Motown booking agent that produced the TV gigs and roadshow appearances. Is it possible that the Isleys were only recording at Motown and were responsible for their own earnings from appearances and performances? This could be the reason for the perception of no promotion support from the company.

motony
01-02-2012, 10:07 AM
oh no, nabob...Motown collected the money , they handled all aspects of the artists career.They did use outside booking agencys, but that was directly through International Talent Management.I am 99.9 per cent sure of that.

RossHolloway
01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Was anyone here lucky enough to see the Isleys live in concert while they were signed with Motown? I'd love to know what their song set list was like..

hambonefunk
01-08-2012, 01:25 AM
I have heard Ronald Isley state that he recorded the original version of "Grapevine" the one with the arrangment Marvin recorded. I belive he said his vocals were erased. Has anyone heard about this ?

Roger Polhill
01-08-2012, 02:02 AM
No I heard that the Miracles were first.Could it have been "What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted" ?