PDA

View Full Version : Whatever Happen To The Group SkyLark

test

KevLo
08-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Hi this is Kev-Lo

Whatever happen to the group Skylark. After they did the original version Wildflower in 1973 they hav'nt did anything else, at least that I know of. Is the Laed Singer of that group still around

jillfoster
08-30-2010, 12:13 AM
I don't know:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aP6TZSdQN4

jsmith
08-30-2010, 02:54 AM
Their lead singer, Donny Gerrard, went solo ... I'm guessing the group couldn't find a decent replacement for him & broke up.
Donny had solo outings on labels such as Rocket & Greedy.
..... OFF THE NET ........ Smooth soul singer Donny Gerrard started his career as the lead singer of the Vancouver-based pop group Skylark, who recorded two albums and had a Top Ten hit with "Wildflower" in 1973 [[they also launched the career of pop producer extraordinaire David Foster).
After the group broke up, Gerrard embarked on a solo career, issuing his debut single "[[Baby) Don't Let It Mess Your Mind" on Elton John's Rocket label in 1975. He subsequently signed with the Los Angeles-based Greedy label, where he issued his self-titled debut album in 1976. A mix of sweet, romantic ballads, disco, and jazzy flourishes, the album spawned several singles, including the 12" "Greedy [[For Your Love)" [[now a collector's item), "Stay Awhile With Me," "He's Always Somewhere Around," and "Words."
After one further single in 1977, Gerrard made a steady living as a backing vocalist for recording sessions and tours; in this capacity, he worked with some of the biggest names in popular music, including Elton John, Ray Charles, Bette Midler, Bruce Springsteen, Aaron Neville, Neil Diamond, Bob Seger, Donna Summer, Cher, Dolly Parton, Bobby Womack, and a solo John Fogerty, among many others. He also went on to appear on the soundtracks of The Rose and St. Elmo's Fire, and sang television advertising jingles for extra income. A recording of Barbara Lewis' "Baby I'm Yours" for a '90s car commercial led to a deal with WEA subsidiary Lightyear for a brand-new album; released in 1999, The Romantic found Gerrard working in smooth pop territory, à la Nat King Cole or Johnny Mathis.

A 45 [[& LP ) track on Greedy was big on the UK MS scene ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM5eik4uomQ

GeeTee(HPK)
08-30-2010, 06:01 AM
Donny Gerrrad is still around. A few years ago,Donny was singing backup for Mavis Staples.

KevLo
08-30-2010, 08:04 AM
Hi this is Kev-Lo

Wow so he was still active in the music businss and is still around, Thanks for the heads up jsmith and GeeTee

nabob
08-30-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks for posting the query and the video. It's been more than a few years since I last heard the original. I always felt that New Birth owned this song and still do. The original sounds much better today than remembered from years gone by.

mark speck
08-30-2010, 11:25 PM
Carl Graves was in the group as well, wasn't he? He had a single on A&M not too far down the road, "Baby, Hang Up the Phone".

Best,

Mark