PDA

View Full Version : A Supreme Thread

test

jsmith
12-24-2011, 04:31 AM
How come we hardly ever have threads that relate to DR & the Supremes on here anymore ?!?!?!?!
After all, Motown didn't have any other good artists signed to the label and there are so many more interesting facts we still have to find out about this group [[NOT). :confused:

supreme_lady
12-24-2011, 04:51 AM
Do I detect a bit of sarcasm here????:p

thisoldheart
12-24-2011, 06:23 AM
i would rather read about their work than all the catty diana/mary/florence wars that are the usual talk 'round here! think it is best to separate the artist from their personality. stardom seems to take its toll on most personalities. the work last forever! and haven't we been talking non stop about how we forgot just how good the marvelettes were since their new compilation came out?

redlabs
12-24-2011, 10:08 AM
why not just start another thread on some other artist you feel is being neglected???? i like the 4 tops. anyone else?

144man
12-24-2011, 10:11 AM
i would rather read about their work than all the catty diana/mary/florence wars that are the usual talk 'round here! think it is best to separate the artist from their personality. stardom seems to take its toll on most personalities. the work last forever! and haven't we been talking non stop about how we forgot just how good the marvelettes were since their new compilation came out?

What's going on here?...I've never before agreed with anyone on SDF three times in one day.

Glenpwood
12-24-2011, 12:07 PM
I love the Supremes but I've never understood the internets seeming obsession & dissection of which lineup is best, is someone is a Supreme or a temporary stand in, how much weight did Florence really gain, was Mary really shoved at Motown 25, which Supreme was in the right regarding the RTL tour, how many copies did each 45 sell, and does knowing The Andantes sweetened or outright did total backgrounds on certain Supremes tracks invalidate their enjoyment? It's funny that The Temptations were just as big a group [[in the long run) and had more lineup changes but we really get no threads carrying on about who was or wasn't a real Temptation, why Otis is or isn't a tyrant for having strict rules that have kept the group going to this day [[much in the way Diana & Berry did back in the sixties for The Supremes), and was it really fair to fire David Ruffin? Apparently no one carries the same passion for them that they do The Supremes. I can live with that. But it would be nice to see some informative discussion now and then of the other Motown acts that still apparantly stand in the long shadow The Supremes cast over them and a bigger mix of artist topics in general....

thisoldheart
12-24-2011, 01:50 PM
i am interested in the process. just how did motown achieve such a large number of great songs with a minimum of releases? there is only one other record company that did that, but they released a very small number of records - philles. i would love to read a very well written and serious large book on motown soon, before the cast is ten feet under! jeez, i would love to interview h/d/h, and a ton of other people. i have questions i wanna ask them. i find it all extremely fascinating! my teen year infatuation with motown only increases with more information. but i am an art history major and find attribution to be an important and serious subject. i spent last night making a graph showing when each h/d/h single was recorded [[not released) so that i could understand their writing progression. i don't have much time for the diva stuff. it bores me to tears!