PDA

View Full Version : "T.C.B." may be released on DVD in 2012!

test

marybrewster
12-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Although nothing is official, and I'm not even certain how accurate this is, you heard it here first!

carlo
12-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Thank you.

"May"??? Who is releasing this? Sorry, but I'm not getting my hopes up. The huge problem with these types of DVD releases is the legal hurdles. We were supposed to get Diana Ross Live at Royal Albert Hall on DVD years ago and it never happened. :[[

Roger Polhill
12-23-2011, 02:43 PM
I already have it with "G.I.T." and "Diana!"

bradsupremes
12-23-2011, 02:58 PM
MaryBrewster, where did you hear this??? This is exciting if it's true! I know they haven't been released because Berry has a tight hold over them. I don't know what for. Does he not realize that he can be making a profit off of them instead of having bootlegs being sold around. I'll keep an eye on TVShowsonDVD.com. They announced the possibility of the animated Jackson 5 cartoon being released on DVD.

captainjames
12-23-2011, 03:48 PM
question: Why ?
question 2 : Why release it now ?

carlo
12-23-2011, 06:02 PM
I'm only interested in this if it ends up having superior picture and sound quality. Most fans have already had these specials on VHS/DVD for years.

Calv1971
12-23-2011, 07:02 PM
This would be a wonderful release, the same goes, even more, for a official release of the 1963 Motortown Revue, surely this would be a MEGA seller. Like myself there must be dozens of us with low quality copies, probably that bad that they are near unwatchable, who are hoping and praying for a first generation official release, so PLEASE lets have 2012 another great year for the CD releases and some lovely DVD releases!

Glenpwood
12-23-2011, 08:43 PM
When will this be released in 2012? The Day Will Come Between Sunday And Monday.... Of course;)

candykamaine
12-23-2011, 09:46 PM
I wonder if that supremes in japan concert will ever be released, i just hate the fact that the only thing we have of that concert is a very low quilty youtube video. :[[

I'm talking about this vid.
http://youtu.be/iM4NdOzfy54

jillfoster
12-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Candy... the only reason we have that is because a fan in Japan actually taped it off the air in 1974. the original tape doesn't exist, or so we've been told. And Carlo..... I wouldn't expect stellar picture quality. The reason being that TCB was shot on videotape, and not film. And secondly, all of the late 60's NBC specials used that same brand of videotape, and none of them look all that fabulous.... but they all look the same as far aas picture quality. the 68 elvis special, the 68 Petula Clark Special. If you look at the Andy williams clips on the Supremes DVD... that will be what you can expect.

carlo
12-23-2011, 10:18 PM
I don't expect high definition picture quality, but something better than the old generational VHS copy that's been floating around for years. The only way this will happen is if it receives an official release from Berry Gordy/Suzanne de Passe and/or Universal. Otherwise, it could turn out like the bootleg release of Diana Ross Live At Caesar's Palace '79 DVD, which was not restored at all, just a flat-out transfer.

Jimi LaLumia
12-23-2011, 10:42 PM
I can't imagine why they wouldn't want it out, as a legacy piece[[what black pop stars/groups had a one hour national prime time hit tv special before this?...no one!)

redlabs
12-23-2011, 10:50 PM
perhaps with the supremes dvd REFLECTIONS getting a gold certification, perhaps they decided to go ahead and consider TCB. i'd buy it ,hopefully with the out takes!

franjoy56
12-24-2011, 01:54 AM
i will buy it for the outtakes, because this is a historic show, i seen the show several times since 68,
only Diana Ross has most of the takes.
there is a Mary Wilson & Cindy Birdsong number a believe a dance number that was cut from the show
i would like to see that as well as the three supremes in the skit with the black and white ink spot gowns
on where diana appears to have been tripped check out the lp inside cover top photos.

marybrewster
12-25-2011, 03:05 AM
When will this be released in 2012? The Day Will Come Between Sunday And Monday.... Of course;)

EXACTLY.

Folks, this was intended for a little humor, to lighten things up because everything else is so bitchy and nasty. Once again, I wasn't proved wrong.

carlo
12-25-2011, 12:19 PM
EXACTLY.

Folks, this was intended for a little humor, to lighten things up because everything else is so bitchy and nasty. Once again, I wasn't proved wrong.

???????????

Motown4Ever518
12-25-2011, 01:38 PM
marybrewster,

Thank you for the heads up, It is now on my radar.

ejluther
12-27-2011, 03:44 PM
I, too, would love to see "The Supremes In The Orient" in a better quality version - it's undeniably charming and the live numbers are truly wonderful from all three of them but it sounds like we're lucky to have it at all, though, so that's good. Still I have to believe a better copy is in the Motown Video Vaults, especially since identifiable clips from it [[the trio wearing kimonos on a bridge, singing into one mic while Flo shakes a tambourine, quickly zipping up dresses backstage) can be seen in The Supremes montage on MOTOWN 25...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KujXaiphzJI

As for TCB - bring it on!

candykamaine
12-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Candy... the only reason we have that is because a fan in Japan actually taped it off the air in 1974. the original tape doesn't exist, or so we've been told. And Carlo..... I wouldn't expect stellar picture quality. The reason being that TCB was shot on videotape, and not film. And secondly, all of the late 60's NBC specials used that same brand of videotape, and none of them look all that fabulous.... but they all look the same as far aas picture quality. the 68 elvis special, the 68 Petula Clark Special. If you look at the Andy williams clips on the Supremes DVD... that will be what you can expect.

Aww that's to bad. :[[

ETA: saw the post above me that said there may be still hope that it may be in a vault somewhere. I hope that's the case.

carlo
12-27-2011, 10:23 PM
I remember that clips from "In the Orient" were also shown on the Motown 40 TV special, which aired in 1998. It was produced by Berry and Suzanne de Passe, so they must have this footage sitting somewhere, along with other clips from The Supremes' live shows. Often times, The Supremes' concerts were filmed, but the quality is poor and I think most of the clips do not have accompanying sound [[ie. the 70's Supremes rehersal footage on Youtube or the live clip of DMC featured on the Motown 40 special). A lot of this footage was filmed for the purpose of critiquing the ladies' shows, choreography, etc). Although it would still be cool to get some of this on DVD someday. I really don't know why it's not being put out there. Even if they put these DVD's together on a really tight budget, I'm sure they could make some considerable profit.

sup_fan
01-07-2012, 04:35 PM
i can confirm that motown does have a good quality version of TCB. because i bought one from them back in the mid 90s. i hunted around [[this was pre-internet lol) and found their phone number. i just called them up and made up some story that i was doing collegiate research and was interested in purchasing a copy. The woman on the phone said they could sell this for $100. so i sent off a check and i got a vhs tape with a typed label on it stating TCB - Takin' Care of Business. includes the NBC peacock logo coming on, the "Rowan and Martin's Laugh in will not be seen tonigth so taht we can bring you this special presentation." then the full show including all commercials. unfortunately no outtakes. but film quality is exceptional. you can see each sequin on the green swirl gowns

now i have no idea if this secretary just pocketed the money and then lurked over to the vault and dubbed me a tape. and i don't really care! lolol all i know is i have a flawless copy! lol

Roger Polhill
01-07-2012, 06:50 PM
My "T.C.B." dvd is very good quality and the highlight is Paul doing "For Once In My Life"

mamaspearl2
03-30-2012, 02:27 AM
Isn't that what lawyers are paid for...to clear the hurdles?? Something tells me that no one is really thinking about this footage or they're too scared to take a risk on potentially losing money.

jobeterob
03-30-2012, 04:14 AM
I dont think there would be buckets of money in releasing TCB. I loved it but all the fans have a bootleg copy and isn't it all over Youtube?

Jimi LaLumia
03-30-2012, 06:05 AM
When Diana/Central Park makes money on DVD, they should certainly start thinking about T.C.B. perhaps coupled with GIT On Broadway as a high quality release on DVD...seriously...it's long overdue and don't forget, Temptations fans would also be buying this..

luke
03-30-2012, 09:12 AM
I dont get it. The clip of the Supremes medley on youtube is excellent. My VHS copy is somewhere around but I dont remember it being bad quality.

marybrewster
03-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Those bootlegs have been floating around for years. I have an excellent copy of "TCB" on DVD; coupled with "GIT".

I would certainly buy an "official" release; I'm hoping for a "TCB" 'expanded' edition: CD/DVD. With lush liner notes [[like all of the rest of the 'expanded' editions) this would make a great set for any Supremes / Temptations fan.

Let's start a campaign: "T. C. B. By Two Zero One Three!"

Kamasu_Jr
03-30-2012, 06:28 PM
i can confirm that motown does have a good quality version of TCB. because i bought one from them back in the mid 90s. i hunted around [[this was pre-internet lol) and found their phone number. i just called them up and made up some story that i was doing collegiate research and was interested in purchasing a copy. The woman on the phone said they could sell this for $100. so i sent off a check and i got a vhs tape with a typed label on it stating TCB - Takin' Care of Business. includes the NBC peacock logo coming on, the "Rowan and Martin's Laugh in will not be seen tonigth so taht we can bring you this special presentation." then the full show including all commercials. unfortunately no outtakes. but film quality is exceptional. you can see each sequin on the green swirl gowns

now i have no idea if this secretary just pocketed the money and then lurked over to the vault and dubbed me a tape. and i don't really care! lolol all i know is i have a flawless copy! lol

My dad got his copy of TCB sort of the same way. Someone allegedly from Motown sold him a copy on VHS tape. It was very good quality. Not too long ago, I bought a copy on DVD from someone selling it on the internet. I have seen a lot of photos from TCB on the internet recently so maybe a release is coming.

Jimi LaLumia
03-30-2012, 07:18 PM
So everyone EXCEPT Motown is making money offof this!...put it out, Motown/UMG/ Shout Factory..whoever..
it is a brilliant early showcase for Diana Ross,can't imagine why anyone would object to it's release!