PDA

View Full Version : Aretha Franklin: Knew You Were Waiting [[Best-of Arista 1980-1998)

test

Sugarchilehoneybaby
12-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Aretha Franklin 'Knew You Were Waiting: The Best of Aretha Franklin 1980-1998' preview

added: 22 Dec 2011 // by: newsdesk

http://www.music-news.com/images/news/Aretha-Franklin.jpg Email this story [[http://www.music-news.com/send-to-a-friend.asp?ID=47061&nT=0) Printable version
The third major period of the career of Aretha Franklin, after her jazz years at Columbia and her hit years at Atlantic, are being collected on the Arista/Legacy album Knew You Were Waiting: The Best of Aretha Franklin 1980-1998.

Franklin, who will turn 70 on March 25, spent 18 years under the guidance of Clive Davis at Arista Records and, while the hits may not equal the years at Atlantic, the singer still turned out her share of classics.

The new chronologically-sequenced, 16-song collection is the first major U.S. release to focus on the nearly two-decades that marked Aretha's tenure at Arista. These range from her label debut, 1980's #3 comeback R&B smash United Together [[her first Top 5 hit in over three and a half years), to 1998's iconic #5 R&B entry, A Rose Is Still A Rose, written, produced and arranged by Lauryn Hill of the Fugees.

"When Aretha Franklin signed to Arista Records in 1980," writes Ernest Hardy in his liner notes to Knew You Were Waiting, "she had nothing left to prove. She had redefined the terms and reset the boundaries of both R&B and pop. She had sung jazz, gospel and blues, and erased the lines between them. She embodied the beauty that was Blackness while providing a soundtrack to the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s. She had worked with the very best songwriters, musicians, producers, arrangers and visionaries, and proved herself to be one of the best singers, songwriters, musicians and visionaries the music industry had ever seen." Hardy is an award-winning cultural critic and essayist based in Los Angeles.

Underscoring Hardy's point, Aretha's Arista years were indeed marked by a steady flow of successful collaborations with contemporary music's "very best songwriters, musicians, producers, arrangers and visionaries." Virtually every track on Knew You Were Waiting supports this, starting with United Together, which was written and produced by Chuck Jackson [[known for his career-making hits with Natalie Cole), and features Aretha's beloved Sweet Inspirations on backing vocals [[the 'original' lineup of Cissy Houston, Myrna Smith, Sylvia Shenwell and Estelle Brown). Likewise, Love All The Hurt Away, a duet with George Benson, was written by Sam Dees, and produced by the late Arif Mardin, the legendary producer who worked on so many of Aretha's early breakthrough '60s and '70s Atlantic LPs.

Lauryn Hill, Arif Mardin and Chuck Jackson are just three of the important producers with whom Aretha worked at Arista. In addition to tracks produced by Luther Vandross [[with arrangements by Marcus Miller), Narada Michael Walden, and Kenneth 'Babyface' Edmonds, Knew You Were Waiting also includes tracks produced by Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones and Dave Stewart of the Eurythmics.
In addition to the collaborations above, Knew You Were Waiting contains many more A-list collaborations that have become cornerstones in the Aretha canon:

Freeway Of Love [[1985), featuring the late Clarence Clemons of the E Street Band on tenor saxophone, Randy Jackson on bass, and percussion by the Santana rhythm section, was a #1 R&B hit for 5 weeks, and went on to win the Grammy Award® for Best R&B Female Vocal
Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves [[1985), a Top 20 pop hit with the Eurythmics' Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart [[who produced), also features [Tom Petty] Heartbreakers band members Benmont Tench [[organ), Stan Lynch [[drums), and Mike Campbell [[lead guitar)
Jumpin' Jack Flash [[1986), a Top 20 R&B and pop crossover smash duet with Keith Richards [[who produced and played lead guitar, along with fellow Rolling Stones guitarist Ron Wood), was the title song from the movie Jumpin' Jack Flash starring Whoopi Goldberg
I Knew You Were Waiting [[For Me) [[1986), a duet with George Michael, was another mega-hit, #1 pop for a fortnight and #5 R&B, and winner of the Grammy Award® for Best R&B Vocal Duo
Through The Storm [[1989), a Top 20 R&B and pop crossover hit vocal duet with Elton John, is one of two Albert Hammond/Diane Warren compositions [[among many!) that were brought to Aretha by Clive Davis

It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be [[1989), a #5 R&B hit duet with Whitney Houston, is the other Hammond/Warren composition here, from the same album [[Through The Storm); and Ever Changing Times [[1991), a Top 20 R&B hit vocal duet with Michael McDonald, written and produced by the hitmaking duo of Burt Bacharach and Carol Bayer Sager, in a mix previously unreleased on CD.

Knew You Were Waiting as Hardy concludes, "makes clear that Aretha Franklin was a vibrant, soulful, stretching, creative, forceful artist at Arista Records. She kept her fingers on the pulse of the world around her while sating old fans and scoring new ones. Her music at the label was about a place that exists behind and beyond mere words... No one expresses joy the way she does. No one conveys grief or loss with anywhere near her force or heartbreaking precision. She burns right through the words she sings, taking you straight to the core. That is her unmatched genius."

Track List:

United Together
Love All the Hurt Away [[duet with George Benson)
Jump to It
Get it Right
Freeway of Love
Who's Zoomin' Who
Sister's Are Doin' It For Themselves [[duet with the Eurythmics)
Another Night
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Jimmy Lee
I Knew You Were Waiting [[For Me) [[duet with George Michael)
Through the Storm [[duet with Elton John)
It Isn't, It Wasn't, It Ain't Never Gonna Be [[duet with Whitney Houston)
Ever Changing Times [[duet with Michael McDonald)
Willing to Forgive
A Rose is Still a Rose

So my question is: do we really need this? And how uncreative is this tracklist???!! What the fans really want are all those hard-to-find remixes from the 80s, on CD and in digital format. To me, the real story of Aretha on Arista is how she transformed herself into a dance diva, years after the peak if disco. She ranks as the #5 Dance/Disco club play artist of the 1980s, according to Joel Whitburn's research.

This really stupefies me. I actually love Aretha's Arista catalogue and have been hoping for a few years now that we would get a 2-CD anthology of her work there, focusing on those great 12" mixes of her work with Luther Vandross and Narada Michael Walden, but instead we get a previously unreleased mix of "Everchanging Times", along with all the other regurgitated tracks from "Greatest Hits 1980-1994". Really a missed opportunity IMO.

carlo
12-23-2011, 12:39 PM
This really stupefies me. I actually love Aretha's Arista catalogue and have been hoping for a few years now that we would get a 2-CD anthology of her work there, focusing on those great 12" mixes of her work with Luther Vandross and Narada Michael Walden, but instead we get a previously unreleased mix of "Everchanging Times", along with all the other regurgitated tracks from "Greatest Hits 1980-1994". Really a missed opportunity IMO.

Agreed. This tracklisting isn't very exciting. "Can't Turn You Loose" and "School Days" should have been included...

reese
12-23-2011, 12:47 PM
I will probably buy this, but I won't rush. I have everything on it already. As you said, its really just an updated GREATEST HITS 1980 - 1994. Since that collection is out of print, Legacy most likely wants to get the Arista years represented again.

It would have been nice if there were some unreleased material included. I don't know how much of that there is, and the one unreleased song that I did hear "THE WIND" should have stayed in the can, IMO. I just hope there are some really good notes and unseen photos.

Just this week, I read that Aretha might be working with Clive Davis again. Maybe this project is a precursor to that.

soulster
12-23-2011, 01:49 PM
So my question is: do we really need this? And how uncreative is this tracklist???!! What the fans really want are all those hard-to-find remixes from the 80s, on CD and in digital format.

Well, i've been a huge fan since 1966, and I want comps with the hits, as long as they are mastered well.

This is probably, well, hopefully, the beginning of a remastering campaign by Sony/BMG. I certainly hope so!

And, can we stop using that "diva" word? Sister Aretha doesn't belong in that bag. She's beyond it.

mark speck
12-23-2011, 02:06 PM
I honestly had no idea that she was no longer with Arista!!

Best,

Mark

soulster
12-23-2011, 07:29 PM
I honestly had no idea that she was no longer with Arista!!

Best,

Mark

The Arista label no longer exists, and hasn't for some time now.

JimBagley
12-23-2011, 07:30 PM
This 32 track import covering Aretha's Arista years is far superior and reasonably priced.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7954838

soulster
12-23-2011, 08:10 PM
This 32 track import covering Aretha's Arista years is far superior and reasonably priced.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7954838

Now, that's a nice comp!

Here's the problem with the U.S. domestic labels: they have to always consider the casual fans, the ones that will shop at Wal-mart and Target. They just don't remember, or even care about lesser hits, single edits/mixes, rare tracks, outtakes, and other hard-core collector fan stuff. Not only that, the domestic labels have to deal with royalties much more than the overseas counterparts do. To top that off, the artist can step in, if invited, or per-contract, and veto tracks, change mixes, or add new material. Domestic labels went to keep costs down too. These are some of the reasons some comps just aren't so comprehensive. And, there is the factor of people at the label just not being familiar with the artist and/or the material. Believe it or not, that is a huge factor in what gets released on CD.

However, Sony should have created a "The Essential Aretha Franklin" 2-CD set, like they have done for so many artists before. They could even have gotten ace mastering engineer Vic Ansini to do the job.

And last, but not least, let's not forget that the CD is a slowly dying format, if not on life support. It's getting harder and harder for reissue producers to convince the suits to issue anything anymore.

Glenpwood
12-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Actually think this is a decent collection. It refreshes the 1980-1994 set and removes the lesser hits and non singles from it and gives us some bigger legit hits. I'd rather Sony let Rhino Records step up to the plate and do a new box set that encompasses her entire career. Dig up some never before seen photos and get David Nathan to write the liner notes.

soulster
12-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Actually think this is a decent collection. It refreshes the 1980-1994 set and removes the lesser hits and non singles from it and gives us some bigger legit hits. I'd rather Sony let Rhino Records step up to the plate and do a new box set that encompasses her entire career. Dig up some never before seen photos and get David Nathan to write the liner notes.

That probably won't happen. Sony won't be letting a competitor [[Warner Music Group) steal a future sales potential, although it has happened before. Sony got EMI/Capitol to allow them to cross-license their material to reissue the Essential heart comp.

luke
12-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Totally boring. If you have the cds why bother? ANother Night a wonderful Motown ish gem!

smark21
12-24-2011, 02:25 PM
I will probably buy this, but I won't rush. I have everything on it already. As you said, its really just an updated GREATEST HITS 1980 - 1994. Since that collection is out of print, Legacy most likely wants to get the Arista years represented again.

It would have been nice if there were some unreleased material included. I don't know how much of that there is, and the one unreleased song that I did hear "THE WIND" should have stayed in the can, IMO. I just hope there are some really good notes and unseen photos.

Just this week, I read that Aretha might be working with Clive Davis again. Maybe this project is a precursor to that.

I hope she's not working with Davis again. It will just mean another album of cheesy Diane Warren songs and duets.

soulster
12-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Totally boring. If you have the cds why bother?

Well, Luke, it's all about sound quality and/or convenience. One day your CD format will go away. Probably not as soon as some are predicting it, but it will go away. Time to move on to better things, For me, CDs and vinly are all to bulky. They are extra posessions I realy don't need. The idea today is to live lighter.

Sugarchilehoneybaby
12-26-2011, 07:08 AM
Well, Luke, it's all about sound quality and/or convenience. One day your CD format will go away. Probably not as soon as some are predicting it, but it will go away. Time to move on to better things, For me, CDs and vinly are all to bulky. They are extra posessions I realy don't need. The idea today is to live lighter.

Sorry, but I have to politely disagree. There's nothing wrong with loving the physical formats! As for living lighter, do you mean "going green"? Because chile, please. I eat all organic food, I recycle, and I walk and bicycle as much as I can, mainly for the exercise. But don't mess with my music! I despise the low quality of Amazon's mp3's. 8-bit? No way. Rhino has lossless wave files for purchase, which is vastly preferable, but I love to hold my records and CDs, hold them and love them, read the liner notes a zillion times, and display them in my home the way some people display books. [[On that topic, I will never own a Kindle. I like physical books as well.)

Call me a luddite if you must, but that's how I feel. :)

Sugarchilehoneybaby
12-26-2011, 07:21 AM
I actually think the 'Who's Zoomin' Who?' album is very worthy of an expanded edition treatment. Re had sooo many hits off that one! Maybe this a job for BBR in the UK? They've done an outstanding job on the Pointer Sisters expanded reissues.

soulster
12-26-2011, 01:28 PM
Sorry, but I have to politely disagree. There's nothing wrong with loving the physical formats! As for living lighter, do you mean "going green"? Because chile, please. I eat all organic food, I recycle, and I walk and bicycle as much as I can, mainly for the exercise. But don't mess with my music! I despise the low quality of Amazon's mp3's. 8-bit? No way. Rhino has lossless wave files for purchase, which is vastly preferable, but I love to hold my records and CDs, hold them and love them, read the liner notes a zillion times, and display them in my home the way some people display books. [[On that topic, I will never own a Kindle. I like physical books as well.)

Call me a luddite if you must, but that's how I feel. :)

No, I mean things that take up living space. Some of us have thousends and thousands of vinyl records and CDs. But, I do miss liner notes. And, again, I know most of you guys here don't care all that much about sound quality, but there is better than CDs, and even vinyl now.

soulster
12-26-2011, 01:31 PM
I actually think the 'Who's Zoomin' Who?' album is very worthy of an expanded edition treatment. Re had sooo many hits off that one! Maybe this a job for BBR in the UK? They've done an outstanding job on the Pointer Sisters expanded reissues.

They would have to stop compressing the shit out of them. I really hesitate to buy anything from them as long as they keep compressing them. I'd rather see a hi-rez version of it one day.

carlo
12-26-2011, 01:31 PM
There's nothing wrong with loving the physical formats!

But don't mess with my music! I despise the low quality of Amazon's mp3's. 8-bit? No way. Rhino has lossless wave files for purchase, which is vastly preferable, but I love to hold my records and CDs, hold them and love them, read the liner notes a zillion times, and display them in my home the way some people display books. [[On that topic, I will never own a Kindle. I like physical books as well.)

I totally agree with you SugarChile! I prefer the physical formats too. I'm really weary of mp3's. I have a feeling that one day, this technological empire is going to collapse. Technology and computers are just too vulnerable. At least with physical formats, I know that what I'm holding in front of me is there...not floating around on a hard drive or in cyber space. Physical formats have a certain mystique because as you say, you get all of the artwork...

I will also never get a Kindle or e-reader. I spend enough time looking at a computer screen. I don't want to have to read my books on one.

carlo
12-26-2011, 01:33 PM
They would have to stop compressing the shit out of them. I really hesitate to buy anything from them as long as they keep compressing them. I'd rather see a hi-rez version of it one day.

The sound quality of their releases have improved. I bought one of their earlier releases and the sound was really bad. It was compressed so much, there was audible distortion. Of course, most people can't hear that because they listen to music through their computer speakers or iPod. I've bought some of the more recent reissues and the sound has improved. I like BBR because they seem to put a lot of love into their projects and so I want to support them to keep them going...

soulster
12-26-2011, 03:32 PM
I despise the low quality of Amazon's mp3's. 8-bit? No way. Rhino has lossless wave files for purchase, which is vastly preferable, ...

First: mp3s are not 8-bit. They are usually 16-bit. Second, the lossless files available at Rhino are not wave files. They are data-compressed lossless formats like FLAC and AAC. There is a difference between data-compressed lossless and data-reduced lossy.

soulster
12-26-2011, 03:34 PM
The sound quality of their releases have improved. I bought one of their earlier releases and the sound was really bad. It was compressed so much, there was audible distortion. Of course, most people can't hear that because they listen to music through their computer speakers or iPod. I've bought some of the more recent reissues and the sound has improved. I like BBR because they seem to put a lot of love into their projects and so I want to support them to keep them going...

The last title I was burned by was Tom Browne's "Love Approach" CD, and I don't hear any backing off the EQ or compressor. And, it's a shame that they put out some good titles but screw the sound. There is absolutely NO reason to make them as loud as the last Metallica album. None! They should preserve some dynamics and sound quality.

Sugarchilehoneybaby
12-27-2011, 01:01 AM
The last title I was burned by was Tom Browne's "Love Approach" CD, and I don't hear any backing off the EQ or compressor. And, it's a shame that they put out some good titles but screw the sound. There is absolutely NO reason to make them as loud as the last Metallica album. None! They should preserve some dynamics and sound quality.

Agreed.

Despite my reservations about BBR's sound quality, I simply HAD to get the Pointers' "So Excited!" reissue because it is my all-time favorite album by them. I love that it perfectly captures the blend of actual instruments and synthesizers, right before they went all-synth with 'Break Out'....speaking of which, although I love that album too, I don't feel the need for BBR's 2-CD deluxe edition, because actually, most of the 12" versions and single edits have shown up on umpteen compilations, both Pointers and various artists 80s/Dance type things.

"So Excited!" sounds very good to me. I haven't yet pulled up a track in Cool Edit to analyze the way it looks, which is the quickest way to know something's gone awry with compression-happy remastering...

carlo
01-02-2012, 02:58 PM
http://theseconddisc.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/aretha-knew-you-were-waiting.jpg

soulster
01-02-2012, 05:04 PM
http://theseconddisc.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/aretha-knew-you-were-waiting.jpg

Great cover! The photo goes perfectly with the title!

soulster
01-02-2012, 05:05 PM
A
"So Excited!" sounds very good to me. I haven't yet pulled up a track in Cool Edit to analyze the way it looks, which is the quickest way to know something's gone awry with compression-happy remastering...

I'll bet you money they smashed it. I don't even have to check the waveform to know it. All I have to do is hear it.

Sugarchilehoneybaby
01-02-2012, 05:23 PM
I'll bet you money they smashed it. I don't even have to check the waveform to know it. All I have to do is hear it.

Well that sucks!

I heard that BBR many of their reissues are actually the exact same CDS reissued by Wounded Bird just a few years ago, and that BBR does "post-mastering" on them. Must mean they just compress the heck out of em. Maybe I should be looking online for the Wounded Bird reissues...

soulster
01-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Well that sucks!

I heard that BBR many of their reissues are actually the exact same CDS reissued by Wounded Bird just a few years ago, and that BBR does "post-mastering" on them. Must mean they just compress the heck out of em. Maybe I should be looking online for the Wounded Bird reissues...

Wounded Bird CDs have been better in the past, but lately, even they have been jacking up the sound. There's just no justification for it! Many of these albums may never be digitized again, and these companies are screwing them up for all time.

gary_james
01-03-2012, 12:20 AM
To me, this is not a good period... when her voice got deeper, and she was recorded with a muddy, echoey, lush sound. No great songs here. Freeway Of Love is dance fluff. And, Who's Zoomin' Who? Please.