PDA

View Full Version : Cellarful-Great Shopping Experience with Amazon UK

test

daviddesper
08-29-2010, 12:15 AM
I was excited to get my shipping notice today telling me that my copy of the Volume 4 Cellarful collection is on its way. However, the real exciting part about it is the somehow reduced price that I received.

When the news first came out, I knew of course that I could get the best price, even with international shipping figured in, if I ordered it from a UK website as opposed to an American one. So when I placed my order a couple of weeks ago, it was listed as being 8.99 pounds.

Well imagine my surprise today, when the shipping notice says it was only 5.95 pounds, which comes out to something crazy like $10.50 in US funds, compared to the $24.98 price I have seen for it on some US websites. I know the reduction has something to do with VAT, which I have never fully understood, but I just know it gets me phenomenal deals on UK releases.

So for my fellow Americans who may not have figured this out, always compare prices and consider ordering from the UK, as opposed to waiting for an American release. You will almost always do better. With this particular order, I was able to get this Cellarful release, and also the Linda Ronstadt and Margie Joseph 5-CD box sets for a grand total of $46.11, including shipping, whereas some American sites are charging almost that much just for the Linda or Margie sets.

So, buying American is a good idea sometimes [[patriotism and all that jazz) but when it comes to music, Amazon UK or HMV are quite often the way to go!

vcq
08-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Sometimes it IS cheaper to order from Amazon.co.uk or other European Amazon sites [[or an item simply isn't available through US retailers, as in the case of a couple of Region 0 German concert DVDs I purchased). And on the bright side, Amazon.co.uk only charges three pounds shipping to the US...every order I've placed from Amazon.de has cost 14 Euros just for shipping...more than the items I was purchasing!

Also, many Amazon Marketplace Sellers in the US offer MUCH cheaper prices than the official Amazon.com price, particularly on the Motown Anthology sets. I buy from seller ImportCDs, [[http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/storefront/index.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sellerID=APZB0IDP1EYQW) who in many cases only charges around $7.50 for many of the factory-sealed 2CD Motown Anthology sets [[Amazon's price is $23 or more). I've successfully ordered from a number of Marketplace sellers, including those that charge less than a dollar for new, sealed [[and sometimes out-of-print) CDs [[standard shipping is always $2.98 in the US), and I've had nothing but great experiences.

theboyfromxtown
08-29-2010, 06:44 AM
VCQ

Are you an accountant! LOL

It also works in reverse for me as a UK buyer.

nevertoolate
08-29-2010, 07:15 PM
I figured that out when I brought COM2..It is quicker and cheaper to order from the U.K. than from in the U.S.

What is weird is that my COM4 was sent on 8/28..but the release date is 8/30..but says it won't arrive until the 14th
or 21st. of 9/10??...Amazon U.K. is more efficient so far in my experience..

vcq
08-29-2010, 08:55 PM
I think Amazon goes with the latest estimate in the shipping range; frequently when I order an item, it'll say "item should arrive between..." and it always gets there earlier, sometimes even earlier than the first date.

nevertoolate
08-29-2010, 09:26 PM
checked back on Amazon.uk..it said COM4 "temporary out of stock"!!

daviddesper
08-30-2010, 12:10 AM
nevertoolate:

I think I got that same shipping range, but like vcq says, it almost always gets there earlier. If our CDs really did get shipped out before this "temporarily out of stock" message was sent, then my guess is that we will get them either late this upcoming week or within the first day or two after Labor Day. Can't wait!

On a related note, I did notice what seemed to be a good US price on the new Sisters Love CD. I think it is CD Universe that has it for something like $12.49. So that might be a rare case where you could get a better buy, or just as good a one, by going domestic.

And while I am sharing shopping tips, another site I use, CD Connection, has a free shipping offer going on now for purchases of $25.00 or more and they also have a great selection. You guys might want to check that out.