PDA

View Full Version : The Steel Pier TV Show [[1960's / 70's)

test

jsmith
12-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Any of the US based SDF listies remember this TV show that was broadcast in Philly from 1960 [[as the 'Summertime On The Pier' show) before being syndicated from 1968 to 1978 [[as The Steel Pier Show).
It went out on a Saturday afternoon & was presented by Philly radio DJ Ed Hurst.
The show was staged in the theatre on Atlantic City's Steel Pier where Motown Revues played live gigs at times.

JimBagley
12-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Any of the US based SDF listies remember this TV show that was broadcast in Philly from 1960 [[as the 'Summertime On The Pier' show) before being syndicated from 1968 to 1978 [[as The Steel Pier Show).
It went out on a Saturday afternoon & was presented by Philly radio DJ Ed Hurst.
The show was staged in the theatre on Atlantic City's Steel Pier where Motown Revues played live gigs at times.

I loved the Steel Pier Show and watched it every Saturday afternoon during the summer months.

Jim

jsmith
12-19-2011, 04:36 AM
The venue where the TV show was broadcast from .........
The likes of Jay & the Techniques, Dionne Warwick & the Silhouettes got to be on the show.
Jim, can you recall some of the other [[soul) acts who featured on the show ?

nosey
12-19-2011, 10:58 AM
I watched it faithfully as a teen as well. One dancer that stands out in my mind was a guy called Twinkle Toes who danced on his tiptoes. I remember seeing Chubby Checker, Dee Dee Sharp, the Dreamlovers [[I guess Cameo-Parkway had a little payola going on), Barbara Mason, etc. What I found annoying was when they would show scenes of that darn diving horse!