PDA

View Full Version : Wait a sec, didn't he leave the group ... then why is he on this album?

test

tsull1
12-16-2011, 07:54 PM
Listening to a fairly rare Spinners song on YouTube, "I'm Tired of Giving" off The Spinners 8 album, their last with Thom Bell, and their first with Jonathan Edwards.

OK, there's a line in there that goes: "But it's you that keeps me hanging on." I pride myself in my Spinners knowledge, who the leads are, etc. ... it goes with the fanaticism. Damn if that's not Phillippe Wynne singing that line. It's not Bobbie Smith, it's not Edwards, and Henry Fambrough is the lead on this song. It's Wynne. Was it in the recording library and they put it on the album? It's a good tune, so perhaps they did. Listen for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsYnzfS5BeE&feature=related

While we're on that topic [[Paladin has another with Tempts questions), I swear to God that's Theo Peoples on "Stay" on the Phoenix Rising album [[great album, by the way) ... I've read those tiny liner notes, couldn't find Theo's name anywhere in the notes [[also couldn't find Phillippe's in Spinners 8). I've heard that it is Theo on lead, but he's not credited and had left the group just before the album, I believe. Barrington Henderson might prove me wrong because live [[on YouTube) he does kind of sound like the guy on the album.

Maybe my ears are failing me ... I hope not. :cool:

paladin
12-17-2011, 12:26 AM
Your ears are not failing you my friend, No problem with this one Tsull, that's Theo, all day and all of the night.....lol......I've seen Barrington sing it live [[ and quite well) but in the video he lip synced the words.

Theo also sang the lead on the Temptations Wedding Song [[ This Is My Promise) and although he was not credited on the album Barrington did thank Theo for being real.

splanky
12-17-2011, 07:10 AM
Tsull, this has happened a few times but other examples escape my memory at the moment. Still, I'm sure you're right
about that Spinners track. Maybe they decided to add a Henry led song recorded while PW was still in the group but
unless someone is doing a very good impersonation [[ lots of singers including Phil could) that sounds like Phillipe Wynne
to me,too. I tried to research the album on the net but even allmusic dead ends on the details, which actually is quite
common for a site with such a grandiose name...