PDA

View Full Version : Billboard reveals the best selling Christmas albums

test

jobeterob
12-14-2011, 04:05 PM
News Billboard reveals the best selling Christmas albums
added: 18 Oct 2011 // by: VVN Music

Email this story
Printable version Billboard has published a list of the top selling Christmas albums of the Soundscan era [[1991-2011).

Three, Josh Groban's Noel, Celine Dion's These Are Special Times and Mariah Carey's Merry Christmas have gone five time platinum. The rest of the list includes such veterans as Mannheim Steamroller, Harry Connick, Jr. and the Vince Guaraldi Trio.

The top ten:

Noel - Josh Groban [[5.28 million)
These Are Special Times - Celine Dion [[5.17)
Merry Christmas - Mariah Carey [[5.12)
A Fresh Aire Christmas - Mannheim Steamroller [[3.61)
Christmas - Mannheim Steamroller [[3.48)
Now That's What I Call Christmas! - Various Artists [[3.39)
Christmas Eve & Other Stories - Trans-Siberian Orchestra [[3.19)
When My Heart Finds Christmas - Harry Connick, Jr. [[3.08)
A Charlie Brown Christmas - Vince Guaraldi Trio [[3.01)
Home For Christmas - N'Sync [[2.66)

As for a couple of other recent holiday albums by veteran artists, Enya's And Winter Came... currently has sales of 838,000 while Sting's If On a Winter's Night... has 613,000.

Glenpwood
12-15-2011, 12:37 AM
Michael Buble will likely knock nSync out of the top 10 by new years the way its been selling the past few weeks.....

TMSG
12-15-2011, 07:36 AM
Never expected any Motown Christmas albums in this list but always considered Phil Spectre's Christmas album the best ever and it still sells by the bucket loan at this time of year. Wonder what the best selling Xmas album ever is?

motony
12-15-2011, 10:05 AM
The Phil Spector Christmas Album[[AKA A Christmas Gift For You From Philles Records) is the BEST Christmas LP ever, IMHO...and ofcourse this is because of the Crystals, The Ronettes, Darlene Love and Bob B. Soxx & the Blue Jeans.Phil didn't put up with singers that couldn't sing, thats for sure.

jobeterob
12-15-2011, 09:12 PM
I read recently that the best selling Christmas album ever is Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley.

carlo
12-17-2011, 02:00 PM
I agree that Phil Spector's Christmas album is the best Christmas album ever...along with The Supremes' Merry Christmas. :)

mysterysinger
12-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Phil Spector has my vote anyday. Also have a soft spot for Nat King Cole's too.

Strange
12-17-2011, 03:01 PM
I read recently that the best selling Christmas album ever is Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley.

Hi jobeterob - cue me I think!

The bestselling [[at least in terms of RIAA awards) is the 1970 version of 'Elvis' Christmas Album' which was a budget release. It did fine at the time but then in the 1977 season it sold like hotcakes for obvious reasons [[Presley died the previous August) and finally has become his first and only diamond record for 10 million shipments - achieved as a result of this season's shipments.

Oh, and the 1957 full price version that this was based on is 3 times platinum too! 'Blue Christmas' is over one million I believe...

jobeterob
12-17-2011, 09:25 PM
You are probably right Strange; I didn't go checking; but maybe I should.

Greatest hits albums and Christmas albums..........they just sell and sell.

blueskies
12-18-2011, 02:21 PM
http://www.bay-area-bands.com/pictures/bab0309.jpgDoes anyone have this Christmas CD? As much as I like En Vogue, I could never warm up to it. Amanda Cole was in this grouping with Cindy and Terri.