PDA

View Full Version : Facebook ...MySpace ...Twitter ...is there any point

test

grapevine
08-28-2010, 10:03 AM
...I see Harry Weinger's informing of new product exclusively through Twitter ...I keep hearing horror stories of people on Facebook

...what's the point of these sites...?

...what are the differences between them...?

...how long do YOU ...on average spend on them per day...?

...are they 'dangerous' ...?

...just wondering...!

:)

splanky
08-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Grape,
I'm not of any of those sites for my own reasons but I do see the point
of MySpace especially for musicians trying to network for wider exposure. Too,
MySpace does offer the plus for people to browse some of their favorite artists
without having to join the site as a member as I do often...

http://www.myspace.com/pharoahjazz

From all of the stuff I've heard about facebook I don't get why people bother:confused:

abfan
09-06-2010, 10:48 AM
facebook is ok for finding old school and childhood friends but some think it's a cheap shrink...posting and crying all their information....

gary_james
09-06-2010, 10:59 AM
I think it's people starving for attention and confirmation that someone cares.

midnight johnny
09-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm thinking that these days, with people separated from each other, people not knowing their neighbors and so little intimate contact and such a lack of communication, these sights are used to fill that gap. I certainly don't think that it creates any form of intamiacy or fills those needs...but I think the sites are an attempt to...poor as they may be.

timmyfunk
09-07-2010, 12:49 AM
facebook is ok for finding old school and childhood friends but some think it's a cheap shrink...posting and crying all their information....

No, that's Twitter. Some people do try to treat Facebook like Twitter, but that type of activity usually goes on at Twitter. I have absolutely no complaints about Facebook. Reading comments to pictures I've posted from various P-Funk alumni is worth the price of admission alone. For me, it's all about networking with other Funkateers in a way that you can't get on any other site.

timmyfunk
09-07-2010, 12:51 AM
I think it's people starving for attention and confirmation that someone cares.

I think that's a very cynical way of looking at it. It's no surprise that FB took over as the premiere social networking site. It's easy to use, posting photos are a breeze, and to have one on one interactions with the musicians that I grew up listening to is icing on the cake.

soulster
09-07-2010, 12:04 PM
It's just a way for people to communicate it faster time. Twitter different from a chat room because you can respond to previous "tweets". You can follow what a certain person talks about. The topics are diverse, and not controlled or dominated by any one person.

Facebook is like Myspace, only not controlled by a media company. It allows one to put up a personal page for free. It allows companies to promote services and product for free. It's like YouTube in that one can post content.

One can always create their own blog for free, or still make their own website, but that costs money, and requires you find a domain. $$$

I tweet once in a while. It's a way for people to get their opinions out there. I guess if you are a person who believes in keeping things to your self, I guess you wouldn't be much interested in social networking sites. And, that final question would lead one to ask "Why are you here?".