PDA

View Full Version : PBS does it again-featuring the Miracles w/Claudette, Eddie Holiman...

test

luke
12-10-2011, 11:01 PM
Percy Sledge, an amazingly youthful ?[[the Mysterians) etc etc and great background singers! Wonderful show. The Miracles had 5 members including Bobby and Claudette. Being shown again now on WLIW NY PBS.

marv2
12-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Percy Sledge, an amazingly youthful ?[[the Mysterians) etc etc and great background singers! Wonderful show. The Miracles had 5 members including Bobby and Claudette. Being shown again now on WLIW NY PBS.

Hey Luke, it's on right now! Yes Rudy Martinez [[? Mark & the Mysterians) lit up the stage. I was impressed with the guy singing Steams "Na,Na,Na Kiss Him Goodbye". I was not sure if he was in the original band. He sure sounded like the vocal on the record to me.

luke
12-10-2011, 11:14 PM
Right Marv-Gary DeCarlo Im pretty sure was the original Steamer! Great new Jefferson AIrplane female singer. Eddie Holiman killed it!!

marv2
12-11-2011, 12:17 AM
Right Marv-Gary DeCarlo Im pretty sure was the original Steamer! Great new Jefferson AIrplane female singer. Eddie Holiman killed it!!

All of them have been great so far. It was really nice seeing Claudette Robinson onstage and singing again. What I don't get is how great Peter Noon/Herman Hermits are at working that audience! I mean, I grew up in the sixties but never realized how popular they actually were.

daviddesper
12-11-2011, 01:10 AM
I saw this last week. Very good assortment of performers. I assume that they would not book an act for something like this unless there was still at least one original member and in some cases, it was hard to figure out who that might be. I agree that Peter Noone, Eddie Holman, and Claudette all looked amazing for their age!

jsmith
12-11-2011, 03:42 AM
"Na,Na,Na Kiss Him Goodbye" was written and recorded by producer/writer Paul Leka along with studio musicians Garrett Scott & Dale Frashuer at Mercury studios in New York City. When it topped the charts, Leka put together a band called Steam and sent them out on tour in support of the song.
By the way, the song / track was put together in a few minutes as it was intended to be a "throwaway" song that was destined to be a seldom-played B-side of a proposed single release.
So no members of the band that toured 'back in the day' were actually on the record.
Paul Leka died some time back; in the 70's he had run Connecticut Music Studios where he laid down tracks by the likes of R.E.O. Speedwagon & Harry Chapin. He was also responsible for a good soul album; 'The Hitchhikers' which was picked up for release by ABC. The group's lead singer was Kenny Hamber [[known to all NS fans for his 60's Philly & NY outings).

luke
12-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Just dont understand their camera work sometimes-no close up on Bobby Rogers and two seconds on Claudette and multiple close ups on at least two of the non-originals. Duh!!

Doug-Morgan
12-11-2011, 08:30 PM
A couple of observations.....Cathy Richardson [[Starship) has a great Grace Slick type voice, but was hard to watch, what with all her posing. Paul Revere's band inhales without Mark Lindsay. And yes, Peter Noone's Hermits were VERY popular in the 60's, and yes, he really does know how to work an audience. I was also very much impressed with the house band. Someone did a lot of work to get the arrangements correct, and the band did an excellent job pulling them off.

I was very impressed by Eddie Holman, probably [[for me) the most impressive performance since Mel Carter's 10 years ago. A very good show overall.

randy_russi
12-12-2011, 08:55 AM
That was filmed, however, some time ago. I saw it also over the weekend here in Central Florida.

bigrod62563
12-12-2011, 11:29 AM
hi to all,greg from PA here. i love and support tj and the pbs music shows. i know that it was admitted that there is sbout 25 percent tweaking ,if you will; sweetning,etc. of the broadcast and i guess i understand the reasons for it since the mantra is to make the songs sound like the original recordings but i do wish the mantra could be the tv audience sees and hears exactly the way the theatre audience saw and heard..and with no tweaking. just my philosophy. i feel these singers and performers do well enough in other performances i have seen on the web; that it would sell the music good enough,but it is what it is. as for this show; i saw part of it and thought it was terrific. 2 comments; gary lewis and the playboys-this diamond ring. now i have heard them do this live many times on tv,etc. to know how it sounds today music wise and gary`s voice. but this performance just sounded like the record to me..even going beyond what the tweaking. it didn`t sound at all like he sings in any other performance i have seen. i have seen him on the MDA telethon several times,for instance. there were a couple of times for whatever reason; this diamond ring would be performed lip-synched to the record but you could tell the other songs weren`t but otherwise he sang TDR live too. so what is your opinion on the performance of this song based on my observation? also,gary decarlo. that sounded just like the record except for the ending of course compared to the original fade-out on the record. what do you feel about this performance? i can`t find another performnace of this on the web to compare. i always thought most of the tweaking was done on the music since there is usually something i can hear vocally that seems to show me it`s all 100 percent but not in all cases. remember the motown show? several posters on here wondered about the live aspect of some of those performances. just my thoughts. let me know what you think. greg

gary_james
12-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Gary DeCarlo IS Garrett Scott. I think he was singing live to the original backing track & backround singers. I think the sound was a little too processed on the show, I would rather it be more pure and natural. And, the canned applause throughout the songs was annoying. It's always fun to see the middle-aged people clapping on the wrong beat and trying to sing along. I enjoyed the performances, Eddie Hollman was great.

bigrod62563
12-12-2011, 04:26 PM
ok garrett scott. my last name is scott too btw ..lol yeah,the singing along to your own recording thing has always baffled me. i`d rather have the post-production sweetening,etc than that.,i think. yeah,i`m with you; pure and natural. unless it is 100 percent proven that the songs.music and performances couldn`t be sold and preserved and gotten enough funding for otherwise. i can see the long-term philosphy of the compromise if it helps greatly keep this music alive; not just for the people who already know and love it; but for others who never paid attention or disliked it and especially for the younger generation. but again; the mantra seems to imply that there must be an overriding need to have it sound as close a spossible to the original recording[[which fails in a lot of cases despite the tweaking anyway) and as i have stated before; there artists sing and play well enough to garner respect and enjoyment and to thrill audiences and music lovers if you just keep it as honest as it can be and just use common sense effects like echo and reverb,etc. when called for. for exampl,most other video performances of these artists at outdoor venues or other theatres,etc where it doesn`t seem to be played around with. and if pbs does this sometimes to more an extreme for a particular performer or performance; then i will bluntly say; they ought not to be part of the recording; or at least not for the televised show. if their talent is so diminished or illness strikes at the last minute or vocal problems...have the performer come back in the future. i get more pride for these artists or any artist when i know it is being kept more honest. but what is more important with these artists is; well,think of the flipside. you must have people ,especially younger people or ones who are cynical in the first place; thinking that there is something being added because; oh they are old and how they singing so well,etc. sounds too musch like the record,etc. well,i would think;especioally with an admission of this from the producer; will play into the hands of those people saying that. "see,even the producer admits they do things to make the performances sound better". and 25 percent would seem signifigant enough to most people as it is on it`s face to criticize; but then it opens the door for people to fill-in the blanks." well.ok,then if they admit that,it could be a lot more or ok,it is 25 percent,but what is being done or not done on a specific performance". the point being; not to us lovers of it but to others that it is tainted and that i wouldn`t think is a good image for a lot of viewers to have and the sad thing is ,we know these performers can do so great out of the box. sorry to be so long winded; but i am passionate about this and have wanted to speak on this matter for some time now. hell,my brother who knows nothing about an admittal of there being anything to augment the performances; but who nonetheless has told me he was skeptical of some of the performances; and he is 52 and loves this music!!! so i think that right there makes my case in spades. then what is some person who takes the combination of stereotyping them because of age, a general dislike for the music and the idea that it is a televised production,etc.; what are going to think,without knowing anything about the production? i say these things analytically not to be picky,but because i do care about all this greatly.

nosey
12-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Speaking as a fan and not coming from a technical point of view because I know nothing about the technicalitys, I enjoyed the performances of the Vogues [[love that song!), Eddie Holman, [[kind of tired of HTLG, as he made so many more records better than that one, imho), Garrett DeCarlo, [[whew, he had me up out of my seat) Peter Noone, [[again out of my seat), and Mitch Ryder [[sounded great but looked kind of odd to me with those sunglasses on).

Did Garrett DeCarlo make a bundle on that song since it was used for sporting events? How does that work? Great one hit wonder.

bigrod62563
12-13-2011, 02:22 PM
yep. as a fan,i loved all that i saw of it. yeah,the sporting events have made that,i think,one of the biggest songs of all time. looking forward to seeing all that i have missed. one more point about what i stated in my last post and this brings it home.i feel and proves that it can be done well without all that post-production stuff. did anyone see the malt shop memories show that pbs showed? it had a 2011 date. i saw it yesterday from noon-2 here in PA on WITF. you can plainly obviously tell that every singer,every note,etc. is just what you would experience if they were in a small club doing it. it was not a tj my music production. time-life is involved here,of course. the singers and the music sounded great!!! they just sounded like excellent live performances. no trying to sound just like the record but some of the performances were close just the same. chris montez was fantastic doing "call me" and "let`s dance". or for that matter all the other non-my music shows where everyone sounded good. so why all this augmentation then? to sell it? i take it this show i mentioned and others are doing a lousy job of promoting the music then? and it`s in consistent anyway. some of the my music stuff doesn`t sound anywhere close to the record. ben e. king for instance. i love the guy. like to see him on tv. he can`t sing like he used to. how are you going to make him sound the way he did for instance? i can understand if one musician just couldn`t play something correctly and you can`t replace him at the last minute,etc. that`s one thing. the main thing to me is that the singing..leads and backups are untouched..period>!

luke
12-13-2011, 06:08 PM
You have to give it up for Eddie Floyd too. I think hes in his 70s and he's still got it! I thought Gary Decarlo was ok but not in Eddie Holman's category. What made it was the background singers and the audience-cant sit still for that song!