PDA

View Full Version : Adele Top Artist of 2011

test

jobeterob
12-10-2011, 10:21 PM
a blockbuster 2011, Adele is being flooded with accolades, as Billboard, Rolling Stone and iTunes crowned the British singer-songwriter its top artist for the year.

On Friday, Billboard named the 23-year-old its No. 1 artist of 2011. She beat out stiff competition from the likes of Rihanna, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Lil Wayne for the title, which is based on factors such as album sales, music charts and radio play.

The singer, who is recuperating from recent vocal cord surgery that plagued her in 2011 and forced her to cancel a number of concerts, told Billboard she plans to rest and will return with her third album.

"I'm just gonna lay some concrete, set up home and just 'be' for a bit. I'll disappear and come back with a record when it's good enough. There will be no new music until it's good enough and until I'm ready," she said.

A day earlier, online retailer iTunes revealed its bestsellers of 2011, with the British songstress named its top artist and responsible for the top-selling album [[the much-lauded 21) and song [[the ubiquitous Rolling in the Deep).

ITunes also singled out Nicki Minaj [[breakthrough artist), Foster the People's Pumped Up Kicks [[song of the year) and Wasting Light by the Foo Fighters [[album of the year).

On Wednesday, Rolling Stone magazine tapped 21 and Rolling in the Deep as the best album and single of 2011.

"21 was this year's most stunning pop success, transmuting the young Brit's personal sorrow — the collapse of an 18-month relationship — into a …smash that leapt across borders and oceans and united everyone from teeny-boppers to baby boomers to hip-hop-heads," the magazine's editors said.

Adele will likely continue to receive praise the new year, as she's a contender for six trophies at February's Grammy Awards gala and expected to earn a similar raft of nominations in January for the U.K. equivalent, the BRIT Awards.