PDA

View Full Version : The life story of Sammy Davis Jr. is being developed for the stage and screen

test

jobeterob
12-09-2011, 01:25 PM
Dec 8, 2011 0 Comments

This is cool.

The life story of Sammy Davis Jr. is being developed for the stage and screen.

According to THR, the news was announced on what would have been the late Rat Packer’s 86th birthday.

Entertainment Studios acquired the rights to the story from Davis’ daughter Tracey Davis, whose mother is the second of Sammy’s three wives, May Britt.

“Sammy Davis, Jr. was a phenomenal entertainer, icon, and American treasure whose inspirational story has to be told,” said Byron Allen, CEO of Entertainment Studios.

Tracey Davis said, “On his deathbed, one of the last things my father told me as he put my face in his hands was: 'Tracy, tell my story. Warts and all.' Byron Allen, who knew and worked with my father, is the perfect producer to help my family and I achieve my father’s dying wish.”

Davis was a vaudeville performer who made it big as a recording artist, TV and movie star.
Among the highlights: In 1956 he starred on Broadway in Mr. Wonderful and in 1960, he appeared in the first Rat Pack movie, Ocean's 11. In 1966 had his own TV variety show, The Sammy Davis Jr. Show. He toured with Dino, Sinatra and Liza Minnelli in the late 1980s.

When he died of throat cancer in 1990, he was deep in debt to the IRS.

In 2001, he was posthumously awarded the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.

Don Cheadle played Davis in the HBO movie The Rat Pack.

REDHOT
12-09-2011, 03:20 PM
It's about time,Mr.Sammy Davis Jr.was one of the greats,to ever hit the stage,i can't wait.
Please stay positive

tomato tom
12-09-2011, 04:26 PM
I remember seeing him from time to time on TV when I was growing up, and thinking, thats a cool man. When I seriously got into Motown and collecting, much later, I came across his Motown album Something For Everyone, on Promo, to boot! Think it only cost a few dollars on one of my San Fran trips when I flew for Pan Am. He WAS a great artist, and I know is greatly missed..By the way, that album is cool too!..Paulo xxx

arrr&bee
12-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Well if it hits the big screen i hope that tommy davidson gets the part!

nabob
12-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Sammy Davis made the kiss of death by hugging Richard [Tricky Dick] Nixon at the 1986 Republican Convention in Chicago. That action went over like a lead balloon in the black community with many abandoning interest in this career. To show how the serious the bad feelings were, Sammy was booed at the 1972 PUSH convention in Chicago. To his credit, he did receive a mild applause after his performance. It would be interesting to see if the productions address this action and the subsequent fall out.

Penny
12-11-2011, 12:19 AM
It is common knowledge that Sammye's wife wore AVON!

Penny