Just announced!

The inductees of the class of 2012 are:
- Laura Nyro
- The Beastie Boys
- Guns N' Roses
- Donovan
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- The Small Faces / The Faces

This year's class stinks!! What a awful group of inductees with the exception of Laura Nyro. I'm glad that Laura is finally being inducted and getting the recognition she truly deserves. Aside from Laura, I would have picked completely different groups/artists. Why are the women being snubbed??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/07/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees_n_1133250.html

glencro
12-07-2011, 01:21 PM
I agree that they do stink. Hate to see that Rufus & Chaka and Donna Summer were passed over. I could say so much about the The beastie Boys induction but I'll just digress but there are so many other hip hop pioneers that should have had that slot [[if they had to give it to one). Well, que sera sera

glencro
12-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Oh yeah, and the so deserving Spinners were also snubbed

skooldem1
12-07-2011, 01:40 PM
It's no secret that I don't agree with entertainment "awards", and most honors given out. These people are singers not nuclear scientist. But I am not a "rocker". If if makes them feel good to get a pat on the back, who am I to judge? Even if I did support these kind of things, this organization honoring the Beatsie Boys is wrong on so many levels.

JimBagley
12-07-2011, 02:47 PM
What a horrid group. Even Laura Nyro I would have inducted as a songwriter, not performer. To see my favorite singer Chaka Khan [[with Rufus) and Philly Soul legends The Spinners overlooked again, while noisemakers Guns N Roses and Red Hot Chili People got picked: just awful. I will probably watch Laura Nyro's induction somewhere like youtube after the show has aired and skip the rest.

mark speck
12-07-2011, 04:21 PM
There were three acts that I wanted to see get in that did...the Faces, Donovan and Laura Nyro. Everyone else could've waited a few more years and let the older acts have their due.

Best,

Mark

motony
12-07-2011, 05:09 PM
remebering that this is the ROCK N ROLL HOF there is really only one on that list [[Donovan) that could really be considered a "groundbreaking" artists.

dianesfan_1965
12-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Loves me some Chili Peppers!!!

stephanie
12-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Mark you were reading my mind I KNEW Donovan would make it this time but a friend of mine told me they didnt think he would....LOL Laura Nyro well overlooked but I agree she should be in a as a songwriter not as a performer as Jim Bagley said. It seems like this list gets worse every year I think Donna Summer should have gotten in there as well. I like Chaka and Rufus but Ms Summer has done more for music as a whole IMO. Who PAID to have the Beastie Boys and the Red Hot [[what the f*** are they nominated for) Chili Peppers in? As far as the Faces are concerned I dont know much about them except their songs and the Rod Stewart Connection but they certainly should be in I suppose.
Im amazed at the number of groups who are left out of these lists that are older.

Most rock fanatics have been pleading for RUSH to get in and although there are some who I believe are more deserving I would choose the Monkees over the Red Hot Chili Sauces.

timmyfunk
12-07-2011, 07:11 PM
While I'll admit that the list isn't too impressive, I for one am glad to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers up there.

stephanie
12-07-2011, 07:22 PM
timmy
Please enlighten me Im serious I am not trying to be funny about the Chili Peppers. If you can state a case I would love to hear it Im not against anything I am willing to learn.

timmyfunk
12-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Outside of their second album, I'm not that much of a fan. But I do think that their musical output over the past 25 years is more than respectable and earns them a place in the hall. They've been far more consistent than a lot of bands who have existed as long.

timmyfunk
12-07-2011, 08:18 PM
P.S.: I'd take them over Rush any day of the week.

dianesfan_1965
12-07-2011, 08:33 PM
P.S.: I'd take them over Rush any day of the week.

The most boring concert I ever saw. I was drug there by a then-boyfriend.

Doug-Morgan
12-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Note that Freddie King was also voted in, and Don Kirshner, New Orleans producer Cosimo Matassa, producer Tom Dowd and British producer/engineer Glyn Johns will be awarded "The Award For Musical Excellence", which replaced the "Sidemen" catagory in 2011.

Those are 5 very deserving inductees.

I'll post my annual "why did they induct these jerks" blog in a couple of days. But before that, let me say that a) if they're gonna induct Guns 'n' Roses, will Grand Funk be up next year? and 2) I do agree that Laura Nyro should have been given the Ahmet Ertegun Award [[which replaced the songwriter/non performer catagory).

And yes, you guys were right. The Spinners should have made it.

stephanie
12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Doug:
I cant wait for your list! The problem with some of these nominations is that they dont sell tickets and I guess they figure Guns and Roses [[like Metallica) will. I see some people on blogs saying groups like The Cure should be in there and I think the Hall has gotten away from major influences and groundbreakers they were not like that in the beginning. Joan Jett! Give me a break Heart should be in the RRHOF they were groundbreakers and were listed but didnt make the final cut. I think the Marvelettes have had one of the biggest petitions to go in if I remember correctly and they dont make the cut and their fans have been begging for years! There are many who are in twice and Diana Ross should definitely be in as a solo act like her or not. Can someone please tell me why the Miracles were not inducted with Smokey that is the 64,000 question.

mark speck
12-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Why are you against Grand Funk being in the Hall, Doug?

Best,

Mark

P-Shark: The Revenge
12-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Beastie Boys are great musicians. I own an instrumental by CD by BB called THE IN SOUND FROM WAY OUT.
Really tight in the pocket groove. Here a couple of tracks from that cd>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRWSAxDCZAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkzhDMROGpc&feature=related

tsull1
12-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Small Faces over The Spinners? Really? REALLY?! WTF?! I can't name one "Small Faces" song ... just incredible. I'm officially done caring about the R & R Hall of Fame.

Doug-Morgan
12-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Mark......
.....a couple of reasons. First, I never considered them innovative or creative in an era where "progressive rock" was exploding with new ideas. Second, I didn't like the hype. On the other hand, the quality of their recordings were poor, and they substited volume for skill, sorta like Blue Cheer, except with less polish.

When Todd Rundgren came on board as producer in '73, they finally turned out some decent high volume pop, but nothing that would make me gush with joy.

One of the problems with an "artistic" HOF is individual taste come into play, but there's got to be some subjectivity involved. I mean I really like The Rhasberries, but that doesn't mean they should be in the HOF either.

motony
12-07-2011, 11:23 PM
Im no fan but Small Faces are Rock N Roll, Spinners & I am a fan are Soul. I like and honor the Rythmn & Blues Hall of Fame.

sunshineonacloudyday
12-08-2011, 01:16 AM
Chili Peppers and Beastie Boys?? Who are they??

...How about 2 self-contained bands [[musicians, singers, songwriters) who are still touring after 40 years, and continue to sell out venues around the world!

TOWER OF POWER

WAR
[[including classic members now called Low Rider Band)

ollie
12-08-2011, 03:36 AM
Nice to see that the RHC get some fame from the hall. Some of their stuff is good funk rock material.

Can somebody tell me, how they nominate, and who's nominating this fame hall ?

luke
12-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Generally you have to be male and strict rock and roll[[they forget/dont know where the roots of rock and roll come from).

jobeterob
12-08-2011, 01:59 PM
I think the RRHofF is a closed group and of course, it has biases. There is definitely a bias against R & B groups and toward basic loud rock............hence, RH Chili Peppers and Beastie Boys, but I do think those perhaps belong in there. MoTony spells it out..........Small Faces are rock, Spinners are not. Nor are Lesley Gore, the Marvelettes or Mary Wells; I'm not sure any of those last 4 will ever make it in; nor Tower of Power or War.

To me, the RRHofF has made the same mistake as the Grammys; they've got a lot of people in there who really were not that influential in a lasting way; just like the Grammys gave few awards in the great creative 60's and they gave awards for everything the last 15 years; pretty soon, no one notices much anymore and the awards end up in garage sales.

It's one thing to put in Elvis Presley, the Beatles, the Supremes, the Temptations and Aretha Franklin ~ it is entirely something else to put in Laura Nyro, Donovan, the Small Faces etc. And I like all those artists ~ but they are not Elvis Presley and the Supremes.

bradsupremes
12-08-2011, 02:54 PM
During my internship at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, I've asked these questions to those who are on the nominating and voting committees. Their responses were all very much alike. Just as my supervisor told me that Rock and Roll isn't strictly about white men playing guitars, but an umbrella that incompasses all genres of music that influence each other. Sure the Spinners aren't rock and roll, but they were apart of something larger that rock and roll music creates and influences. He explained to me that hip-hop and rap have as much to do with the Rock Hall as Blues, Country, and Pop do. As much I don't like the idea that hip-hop and rap should be included, I understood what he meant and why. Are the Marvelettes, Mary Wells, and the Miracles as deserving as LL Cool J, Run DMC, and the Beastie Boys? Yes. Just because they aren't classified as "rock" doesn't mean they shouldn't be included. Do I like that some people are inducted over others? No, but it's not my say nor is it the artists say either.

From what I was told, the nominating comittee meets in September to discuss the upcoming class. Each person on the committee brings one artist/group that they want to be included [[biased....yep!). Each person advocates a case for why this artist/group should be included while everyone else on the committee tries to knock them down and explain why they shouldn't. Ultimately, things get widdled down to just a handful of artists and from there we get the nominees. From that, the voting members pick the 5 or 6 artists/groups to be inducted.

Most importantly if a certain group or artist like the Miracles don't ever get inducted, it doesn't diminsh their importance. They are still influential and our support for them is far greater than some award.

jobeterob
12-08-2011, 06:28 PM
So they do have a process and it is a private group like this Forum...............so, they get to do what they want.

I do appreciate the explanation because the RRHoF has become a much criticized body in recent years. And sadly, I'll eat a hundred dollar bill if we ever see the Marvelettes, Mary Wells, Petula Clark or Lesley Gore in there.

marv2
12-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Note that Freddie King was also voted in, and Don Kirshner, New Orleans producer Cosimo Matassa, producer Tom Dowd and British producer/engineer Glyn Johns will be awarded "The Award For Musical Excellence", which replaced the "Sidemen" catagory in 2011.

Those are 5 very deserving inductees.

I'll post my annual "why did they induct these jerks" blog in a couple of days. But before that, let me say that a) if they're gonna induct Guns 'n' Roses, will Grand Funk be up next year? and 2) I do agree that Laura Nyro should have been given the Ahmet Ertegun Award [[which replaced the songwriter/non performer catagory).

And yes, you guys were right. The Spinners should have made it.

How about the Guess Who, Rare Earth and the Miracles? The Beastie Boys? come on! I think I liked them for one hot moment in late 1986! They could have waited longer to induct them.

skooldem1
12-08-2011, 07:57 PM
The Marvelettes should have been one of the first groups inducted. I can't believe Mary Wells isn't in there. I never really paid much attention to this. I don't think Diana Ross belongs in there.

Doug-Morgan
12-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Marv....
....I'm not disagreeing with you. I was refrencing the 5 others who are being inducted into the hall.

rta5225
12-08-2011, 08:50 PM
I feel in large part the way most of you feel about this year's inductees. I am thrilled that Laura Nyro has been recognized by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as one of the finest artists of the genre. Tom Dowd was also an American recording engineer and producer for Atlantic Records. He was credited with innovating the multi-track recording method. He is certainly deserving of induction as is Ahmet Ertegun, the founder and president of Atlantic Records. However, I am displeased that the 5th Dimension have not yet been inducted...AGAIN!!!!! WHAT the heck is up with that!? Infact, they sang a lot of Laura Nyro's songs! I'm sick of them getting passed over!

marv2
12-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Marv....
....I'm not disagreeing with you. I was refrencing the 5 others who are being inducted into the hall.

Oh ok, no problem Doug. Hey, I bet we all took 10 mins. we could come up with a list of 40-50 artists that should belong in the RNRHF ahead of most of this current list.

MadLad
12-09-2011, 02:16 AM
Johnnie Taylor isn't even in the Rock Hall Of Fame! thats just crazy isn't it guys?

daddyacey
12-09-2011, 03:31 AM
I can see Laura Nyro as a songwriter ,she has an impressive body of work in that respect more so than an artist/performer but as a writer she deserves that credit.
The Red Hot Chili Peppers ,I've noticed have favor with the old school Funkadelic/Parliament fans ,as they share some musical similarities and longevity traits. [[A good friend/ P-Funk fan turned me on to them 20 years ago)
I agree on the statement made regarding Guns and Roses and Grand Funk. Grand Funk should have been considered over G&R any day. The first 4 GFRR albums were the bomb!!!! GFRR ,Led Zepplin and early Black Sabbath were my introduction to "White Boy" music , my liberation from the SOUL/R&B/pre-FUNK predujice that Black Americans who only delt with or was exposed to SOUL/R&B/pre-FUNK as a result of the cultural climate of pre 70's America. I got into Hendrix ,Funkadelic ,SLY and Santana all at the same period of time. Rock at that time and the rock groups were actually the Blues....on steroids. The steroids being big amps ,big sound and kick ass solos.

There's a whole lot of worthy artists and groups that are overdue for recognition depicted by the attention that the RRHOF represents. All can't be acknowledged at the same time but I have a problem with the fact that some groups or individuals that are recognized have been recognized ahead of people that have had a direct influence on the nominees/inductees that come up year after year. Unfortunately the nominations are choosen in this time of POP politics and generic entertainment values. The same is true for the Grammys. Eventually all that are due their day will get their day, but "Show-Biz" and the gaps in generations will always be a factor in the outcome................

Depends on how seriously you consider TRRHOF.........

smark21
12-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Also have to remember that the Hall of fame is designed to be a tourist attraction. Guns and Roses is better known than Grand Funk Railroad.

Joe Dabbs
12-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Donovan deserved to make it into the Hall of Fame years ago, if only for writing "Season of the Witch", which has come to be a standard.

daddyacey
12-10-2011, 03:12 AM
Also have to remember that the Hall of fame is designed to be a tourist attraction. Guns and Roses is better known than Grand Funk Railroad.

True That...................The best known is not always.........THE BEST...............