PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive collecting

test

tomato tom
12-04-2011, 02:42 PM
:o Is anyone else here as obsessed as I seem to becoming with my Motown collecting? All of my spare time, and spare cash seems to be spent on Motown. Now, I have to say, I have loved the music forever. But do I really need 3 copies of The Supremes A GO GO album? one on UK Tamla Motown, the UK reissue, The Canadian Tamla Motown issue.PLUS the CD issue. And thats just one of many examples. Yes, I do aquire a lot of doubles at second hand shops etc, at very cheap prices, but do I really need them? OK, some have different covers and so on. BUT, it seems, if I see something on any Motown label, I just have to have it. It IS my only hobby, and my other half is very understanding, but...do you think it is obsessive? At least with my Motown books and DVDs , I only have one copy. Paulo xxx;)

Roger Polhill
12-04-2011, 04:14 PM
I wish to own every Motown song on cd.I`m not into alternates unless the band track is different.I have a library of Motowns` albums, some like "Disney Classics" are not complete which I will add to as they appear.I especially collect unreleased material. Each artist has a cd. of rarities if there are at least 3 tracks.I`ve had many non cd. albums transferred to disc like the Jonah Jones pair.I`m really lucky as I have a friend with a recording studio.

tomato tom
12-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Nice one Roger. I do like my vinyl however. When out today, I could not resist popping into our local flea market. If you have the time to trawl through all the dross, and there is an awful lot, some gems do turn up. Today I got The Jazz Crusaders Way Back Home 45 on U.S. CHISA. R.Dean Taylor Aint It A Sad Thing on U.S. Rare Earth with picture sleeve. The Marvelettes Your My Remedy on U.S. Tamla, and Yvonne Fair Its Bad For Me To See You [[demo) on U.S. Motown, all for 50p each. Can you understand my addiction?.. I have the Jonah Jones LP Along Came Jonah, but have not managed to track down the second..yet. Today,in the same market, I almost bought The Supremes LP Mary, Scherrie & Susaye on US Motown. I have the UK issue, so I dont really need it, but for a pound I thought it was a bargain, until I discovered the vinyl was completely unplayable, and covered with spashes of paint. The cover wasnt so great either. Ah, the joys of record hunting..Paulo xxx

soulster
12-04-2011, 06:09 PM
I will only keep two or more masterings of a given recording if I can't decide on which one I prefer more. In other words, if I like the sound of more than one, i'll keep them all. The latest one isn't always the best.

Sometimes, the new mastering will be screwed up some way which will require me to keep both.

Sometimes i'll hang on to a copy of something if the artwork is better.

Roger Polhill
12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
It`s nice to know that I`m not the only nut case.I do not have ready access to record shops, I live out in the sticks and even in the cities there is very little Motown available. New Zealand is a great country but Motown has never been very popular.Keep up the good work paulo and soulster.The only music I listen to is my collection which I thrash.

johnjeb
12-04-2011, 08:00 PM
paulo, it's exciting to collect in the short term. Sure you probably can afford it financially but there are other considerations for long term.

Through the years I have had to figure out where to store the records, tapes, CDs, books and memorabilia. I do not own my home so I do not have a permanent location for all this "stuff".

As the collection grows storage becomes an issue. That nice area of the room is now an eyesore cluttered with items that couldn't fit into the storage unit. Items may need to be stored away if you have enough storage space. Hopefully, it is not a damp cellar or an oven of an attic in the summer.

At my last house there was no "safe" place to keep the 45s for fear of sun exposure during the day. There was no attic and the damp cellar was not an option. So they were packed away in a closet. I now have them out again for the first time in 4 years. Albums take up space, especially 1,000 of them. CD racks are a bit more manageable but still need to be somewhere with easy access.

I do get annoyed that I have to arrange my furniture to accommodate my collection and vice versa. In addition, I have to arrange the collection based on where the afternoon sun hits and where the heating units are located. Of course, these are the same concerns for furniture but it seems more problematic with records, tapes and CDs. Forget about moving music storage units to clean. An armoire is easier to move than are 1,000 vinyl LPs.

Over the years I have also given thought to the impact of all this vinyl, plastic, old paper and cardboard just lying around my living space, especially when stored in my bedrooms. Fortunately I don't have allergies.

Another concern is for my partner, he tolerates all this "stuff" but preferred there was a lot less of it. [[Although he better contribute to it's growth on my December birthday with the Supremes 50th and for Christmas with The Marvelettes Forever More!)

I have moved 4 times in the past 10 years. Moving furniture and other household items is bad enough but packing and unpacking 1,000 albums, 1,000 45s, 800 CDs, scores of books, and cartons of memorabilia gets exhausting, especially at 62. My family, and my partner, have been generous in the past with any assistance needed but do make comments on the records and CDs. I hired a mover this past summer.

I am now trying to unload a large portion of my vinyl collection. I am practically giving it away. If you lived here in northeastern US, paulo, I would gladly invite you over. I don't want to move this "stuff" again.

soulster
12-04-2011, 08:59 PM
johnjeb, this is why I ripped/digitized all of my music onto my own server in a lossless and lossy formats so I can have the convenience of hearing anything I want, where I want at the mouse-click or remote. Oh, where I keep all my CDs and LPs? In boxes in a room because I can't part with it! :)

blueskies
12-04-2011, 09:21 PM
I used to be a pretty avid collector. But, as the years rolled on....space became an issue and I guess I developed other interest and taste in music. I'll always love my Motown, girl groups, Stax, etc. But, I finally realized it all became 'stuff' and eventually a burden. I weeded out most of the vinyl and pared down the CD's. I actually don't miss anything I got rid of. I only occasionally purchase CD's and a lot of it these days is classical. I do plan on purchasing the Marvelettes forthcoming CD as well as Mary Wilson's when that becomes available. Hey, as long as you have the money, space, time and energy for all the collecting.....have at it!

luke
12-04-2011, 10:16 PM
What about self storage compartment? My Dad used one for years where he kept some things impt to him.

smark21
12-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Glad Sandwich bags are a good way to store and preserve CDs. And I'm sure you can find larger sized plastic bags for LPs.

captainjames
12-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Nope I use to collect like that when I was younger but now I am trying to find a way to sell them or give them to some museum.

gordy_hunk
12-05-2011, 05:24 AM
I too used to be completely obsessed with collecting anything and everything from Motown. I was determined to obtain every vinyl release, and then when CD started in the mid 1980s, anything from Motown I had to have.

Storage. Now that was a problem, but I did buy a storage shelving system designed for vinyl, which has 6 shelves, and I'm able to store about 1200 or so [[albums) on this one specific system. CD systems I'm able to store about 2000 on them, and they don't take up an enormous amount of space [[fortunately).

But I realised towards the end of last year, why am I doing this? Why am I spending all this money obtaining an LP of someone, which I'll play once, or a CD that may be played once [[some of my CD I can't recall ever playing).

I took the decision, that as I'm unlikely ever to play 90% of this massive collection again, sell the lot. What is surprising though [[I'm only using ebay for vinyl), how little the records sell for. I've probably only sold about 10% so far, but I'm hoping that by the end of 2012, much of it will have gone.

To an extent, I do wonder when we see some of the re-issues [[on hipo for example), just how successful they are, and how many of us are buying them. I see the prices, and know that they are good value [[the Debarge set can be bought for about £12), but I'm no longer tempted. Although I probably will buy the Marvelettes release when it comes out, it may be a long, long time before I buy another one [[unless the Complete Motown Singles 1972 finally is released).

jaybs
12-05-2011, 05:27 AM
A lot of my collection and it is all on CD are the original USA pressings many completely not available now or perhaps on 2-1's also a lot are signed by the artists when they came to the UK and I got to interview them, I have told my mate when I am gone he must not sell them for pennies!! LOL

florence
12-05-2011, 08:50 AM
As a youngster in the 60s I bought every record released on the Tamla Motown label from TMG 501 for a couple of years and there are some liitle known ones in my vinyl collection up in the attic.

Then I just bought a selected few plus every one that Diana released.

The TM label in the UK only began with Stop! In The Name Of Love by the Supremes - before that they were released on Stateside.

tomato tom
12-05-2011, 04:43 PM
johnjeb..I hear you. Weve moved home 4 times in the last few years, always renting. Now we have bought our own place, but still not enough space. I hated moving with a passion. Like you say, moving your record collection, and it appears I have about the same amount as you, Is a nightmare. I would still gladly take stuff of your hands if I lived in your vicinity. Alas, I live in the UK. My partner too, is understanding, but we have had the odd bust up over it! Cant understand why I wont download stuff instead of adding yet more clutter...PAULO XXX

soulster
12-05-2011, 06:09 PM
johnjeb..I hear you. Weve moved home 4 times in the last few years, always renting. Now we have bought our own place, but still not enough space. I hated moving with a passion. Like you say, moving your record collection, and it appears I have about the same amount as you, Is a nightmare. I would still gladly take stuff of your hands if I lived in your vicinity. Alas, I live in the UK. My partner too, is understanding, but we have had the odd bust up over it! Cant understand why I wont download stuff instead of adding yet more clutter...PAULO XXX

I guess you missed my post above about ripping it all to hard drives/server. That way, you could cut some of the clutter and still keep your music.

tomato tom
12-08-2011, 05:45 PM
soulster.yes, missed it. Understand now. Thanks...Paulo xxx

Hotspurman
12-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Paolo - did you get the Motownopoly? I saw there were three on ebay and one had a bid....

phil
12-09-2011, 03:52 PM
the Motownopoly? I saw there were three on ebay .

Hotspurman I couldn't find them, please can you give us the link? Thanks.

tomato tom
12-09-2011, 04:17 PM
I never saw them either?..I will keep on looking thanks..Paulo xxx

Hotspurman
12-09-2011, 04:24 PM
They’ve obviously been sold – I mentioned last week that there were some on ebay and I was under the impression Paolo was going to look out for them. I saw there were three and one had attracted a bid, so I assumed Paolo might be the bidder. I’m afraid you’ll have to keep an eye on ebay in the weeks to come....

tomato tom
12-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Hotspurman..No, I had to head for work so missed it. Just my luck. However, never say never. Bloody annoying though. BUT, found one one U.S. E-Bay and bid and got it for $15.99 including post and packaging.BARGAIN! Cant wait for it to arrive. But with the Xmas rush?.. Thanks again for letting us know about this. Your a Star!..Paulo xxx`

Hotspurman
12-09-2011, 04:46 PM
You know the strangest thing - when Motownopoly was first released it in 2003, HMV in London had a stack of them. I know we're talking about a good few years ago, but it might be worth keeping an eye on them - you never know what they might have lurking in the storeroom!

tomato tom
12-09-2011, 04:54 PM
mucho gracias..xxx

Hotspurman
12-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Right - good deed done for the day, down to the pub...

tomato tom
12-09-2011, 05:11 PM
Hotspurman..Have one for me, or three!..Paulo xxx

Hotspurman
12-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Six good enough?

stephanie
12-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Im not obessive but I was about the Motown books. I dont have all of the records but I was so obsessive I bought Mark Ribowskys book which IMO is not bad. I got to see quotes from people you normally dont hear from.

marv2
12-09-2011, 10:55 PM
You know the strangest thing - when Motownopoly was first released it in 2003, HMV in London had a stack of them. I know we're talking about a good few years ago, but it might be worth keeping an eye on them - you never know what they might have lurking in the storeroom!

I bought mine at the Motown Store at Detroit Metro Airport some years back. It's never been opened.

daddyacey
12-10-2011, 04:25 AM
:mad:Yall need to stop your whinning and admit to the fact that you are just doing you. You ain't hurting nobody unless you don't pay your rent or eat or neglect your family and personal obligations. You could spend your money on worse things and besides it's MY MONEY. As for partners ,accept me for what I am ,for if I change ,then I am not ME!! I love music ,I love Motown ,I love Stax , Atlantic .Philly Intl ,Solar etc and the fruits they bear I love the history behind the music and if you can't understand and love me for that than well................:mad::mad::mad::cool::cool::co ol:

[[Tito pass me some tissue) :D :D

soulster
12-11-2011, 02:51 AM
I am a music slut!

I collect music whenever, and wherever I can.

I don't care what format it is, I gotta have it!

If I could, i'd listen to music all day long! It just makes me feel soooo gooood!

MIKEW-UK
12-21-2011, 10:21 AM
If you are worried about obsessive collecting, please don't be..... I doubt your collection will ever present you with these challenges. If I'm wrong and you are collecting to this degree, be very afraid..........

By the way, he's got mint copies of The Marvelettes In Full Bloom and The Pink Album still shrink wrapped, but he can't quite lay his hands on them. Merry Xmas everybody!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2076822/Richard-Wallace-hoarded-rubbish-seen-space.html

RossHolloway
12-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Ok, Here's a question for all you collectors: what's the one missing MOTOWN album or 45's that you're still looking for?

blueskies
12-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Hot Butterfly.....The Sweet Inspirations [[CD)

Hotspurman
12-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Do CD's count? I'm still trying to locate Herbie Hancock's Lite Me Up and The Crusaders Unsung Heroes on CD - I've got the former on official cassette and tried to rip it into my ipod but the sound was crap, so I downloaded the album from 7Digital and burnt it to disc. The Crusaders I had on vinyl and got transferred but have lost it! The other CD's I'd love to have if they ever come out are Dionne Warwick - Track Of The Cat and The Stairsteps - 2nd Resurrection. Not much chance of the latter ever being released owing to being tied up in the George Harrison estate. Oh, and three of The Commodores albums [[Caught In The Act, Movin' On and Hot On The Tracks). And then there's........

Hotspurman
12-21-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm not that far gone, but I do see bits of me in the article [[and I was going to watch the documentary tonight but might give it a miss now!) as I kept all my copies of Blues & Soul, Black Music and Black Echoes for years, which when added to my Tottenham programmes and copies of Spurs News, Spurs Monthly and Hotspur magazine started to mount up. So I culled the music titles, keeping only those with articles on Stevie Wonder to create more room. My compulsive hoarding hasn't been passed on to my children, especially my son, who throws things out! The wife and I take it in turns to check he's not throwing out some important or valuable artefact [[old MacDonalds toys, anyone?), Anyway, the available room is now filled by my growing collection of Monopoly sets. I've got two on my Christmas list, so as I've been a good boy this year Santa.....

MIKEW-UK
12-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Hotspurman, I guess Harry Redknapp is revered in your house!

LANGUAGE ALERT!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJBsI7RAuvk

Hotspurman
12-21-2011, 11:59 AM
When he becomes the next England manager, he'll be revered in every Englishman's house....

platters81
12-21-2011, 01:01 PM
ive got a few Spurs programmes from the 60ts....incl the Hajduk Split 67 2nd Leg....will swop for Stoke City progs.....

Hotspurman
12-21-2011, 01:06 PM
I'll have a look at what Stoke City spares I have [[of which there may be a few), but I have every Spurs home since 1947, so if you've got Southampton, Newport County, A***nal [[friendly), Swansea or Fulham from 1946-47 I'd be interested.

platters81
12-21-2011, 01:27 PM
oops no......ive got Chelsea away from 70/71 season if you need it........

tamla617
12-21-2011, 06:16 PM
i am watching a tv prog. on channel 4 about a horder.not thrown anything away for 40 years.he has corridors thru ceiling high stacks of news papers and you name it.he started to collect the printed word on anything.and then planned make a digital copy of it all.he has to crawl thru' tunnels off stuff or climb it.its a £1 million property with ajoining house all full completely full and the 2 garages too.the kitchen is ace.the cooker is in between stacks of mags,and papers.he lives on 2 boiled eggs a day,i think i got that right.it takes him 30 minutes to get from the one chair he has to the front door!

just realised its the one in the daily mail that mike's post refered to

Motown4Ever518
12-21-2011, 10:08 PM
Admittedly, in looking in the mirror, I would say I am more of a collector than a listener. I will go through a phase such as a Lamont Dozier phase, or an Ashford and Simpson phase, or recently an Chic production phase, but find that percentage wise I spend more time buying more product than actually listening. I used to go through and listen to my CD collection which I have broken out by year for R+B, by main instrument in Jazz, and then Classical, Rock, World, Show, Blues, Gospel, and then Motown up until 1972 separate from after 1972 which is in the year released grouping, once a year. But I find lately with all of the expanded reissues, and previously unreleased items released in the past 10 years, that is what I listen to mostly these days. All vinyl and cassettes are in the attic and never listened to, which makes a nice ambitious project when I get the equipment, to record all of that on CD. The Motown books are another story.

Hotspurman
12-22-2011, 05:44 AM
i am watching a tv prog. on channel 4 about a horder.not thrown anything away for 40 years.he has corridors thru ceiling high stacks of news papers and you name it.he started to collect the printed word on anything.and then planned make a digital copy of it all.he has to crawl thru' tunnels off stuff or climb it.its a £1 million property with ajoining house all full completely full and the 2 garages too.the kitchen is ace.the cooker is in between stacks of mags,and papers.he lives on 2 boiled eggs a day,i think i got that right.it takes him 30 minutes to get from the one chair he has to the front door!

just realised its the one in the daily mail that mike's post refered to

I watched this too - amazing. All the way through I kept telling my wife, 'see, I'm not as bad as that!' and she just said 'not yet'! But what was especially good about the whole show was the end; he had been a recluse and alienated from the rest of the village, yet the community spirit came through, with scores of people helping him clear up the mess. It would have been great if they could have done a follow-up piece about how his properties look now. But the actual show was first class - the psychiatrist and his comment 'is there somewhere we can sit down and have a chat' had us in stitches! And the look on the firemen's faces when they inspected the property was priceless!

144man
12-24-2011, 08:38 AM
If you have the mindset to be a compulsive collector, does that mean you never delete your emails or text messages either?

Motown4Ever518
12-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Good point, I do about 2-3 times a month press the delete buttons, it actually feels kind of good. With the New Year upon us, I am making the usual plans to change my ways, good luck to me.

robb_k
12-24-2011, 04:41 PM

Ok, Here's a question for all you collectors: what's the one missing MOTOWN album or 45's that you're still looking for?
Soul 35019 "Sweeter As The Days go By"/"Do I Love You [[Indeed I Do" by Frank Wilson. We had it in our office record files for 7 years, but a strange and infamous Moroccan/French/British NS dealer [[with the initials of SS) either lightfingered it away when we weren't looking, or tempted my business partner to sell it to him. I'll never know the answer, as some of the parties involved are deceased and other won't admit to guilt.

I do have a homemade "facsimile" of it, and I have it on British Tamla-Motown. The original last sold for a little over $30,000 US [[£16,500?). Well, I had it to look at and play for about 12-14 years [[we had it at Motown as well for half that period). So, I've had all the Motown 45s from 1959-66 [[other than a few cut versions/variations and The Lee Allen record and the Patrice Holloway on VIP, and a couple Mel-o-dy C&W 45s I don't care about.

Roger Polhill
12-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Funny about that track Robb, it never registered with me , I couldn`t see what the fuss was all about then it clicked that it was a LA. recording and not the Funks.I only collect cds. and all I need is the bootleg "Matha & Vandellas Unreleased Tracks" Merry Christmas to all.