PDA

View Full Version : Temptations 50th Anniversary Singles Collection

test

jobeterob
12-03-2011, 03:22 PM
I just got this..........an incredible set; I can't imagine any Motown or Temptations fan not having this.

I have listen to some of them and it's so different than the album versions.

And a great booklet.

Wonderful.

I can't wait until the Diana Ross & Supremes set shows up.

tomato tom
12-03-2011, 03:31 PM
I got the Diana Ross & Supremes set a couple of days ago. Faaaab! They had the Temps in the store too, but I could not afford both!! Hope to be able to get The Temptations set soon. But so incredibly expensive!..Paulo xxx

woodward
12-03-2011, 03:56 PM
I got the Diana Ross & Supremes set a couple of days ago. Faaaab! They had the Temps in the store too, but I could not afford both!! Hope to be able to get The Temptations set soon. But so incredibly expensive!..Paulo xxx

Paulo: Just curious, what store did you by chance see these items for sale in? I can never locate any of the Hip O Select releases in any stores. Only available to my knowledge via ordering through internet from far away places. Please advise. Thank you.

Roger Polhill
12-03-2011, 04:06 PM
Are they not the same as "The Complete Motown Singles" plus the international tracks ?

Jimi LaLumia
12-03-2011, 04:13 PM
apparently stores in the UK sell them, I'm not aware of Hip O product being in stores in the USA[[which is pretty stupid, actually)

jobeterob
12-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Yes I suppose they are; but this is Tempts only, all singles and all B sides with some alternates, all together in book form, like the Complete Motown singles, with a very nice booklet.

I would not miss these sets. Very impressive.

There are Hip O product at HMV occasionally. I've seen some in Canada.

But I've recently seen there are very few racks of CDs period; and most of them are $5, $8, and $10.........scads of them, I suppose for Christmas. I concluded the chain will be gone within a year or two. I'm not even sure how long CDs will be around for anymore.

tomato tom
12-03-2011, 05:41 PM
woodward, I got My Supremes set from HMV store in Brighton, UK. They have the Temptations set also. I also wonder how these hipo sets turn up for sale JUST after release at HMV. You can never get them again. Hope this info helps..Paulo xxx

soulster
12-03-2011, 07:50 PM
apparently stores in the UK sell them, I'm not aware of Hip O product being in stores in the USA[[which is pretty stupid, actually)

There's a regional music chain that sells Hip-O product here in the southwest. Well, they're in Las Vegas, NV, and in Phoenix and Tucson, AZ. Both this and the Diana Ross sets are there, as well as all the Teena Marie and DeBarge sets. There is also a mom and pop store in Tucson that sells Hip-O product too.

paladin
12-03-2011, 07:57 PM
I have listen to some of them and it's so different than the album versions.

You'd never know this by the track listings, since I own all of these tunes already, including the Emperor of Soul Box Set, what stands out to you Jobeterob ? I never seriously considered buying this set ? I am most interested in the alternate takes.........

jobeterob
12-04-2011, 04:28 AM
There is an alternate of I Truly Truly Believe; that is the only alternate. The German and Italian singles are there.

What I like is all the singles together, as they were in the days of the 45. And a very nice package. But I'm pretty sure you have them all elsewhere, but not together like this.

I have Emperors as well but I'm still very happy I got this. Done in the same format as TCMS. I got it as a present from a young person who doesn't know much about Motown - I suspect he thinks Aretha Franklin is "Motown" and has never heard of Jean Terrell. But he was very impressed when this came out of the bubble package.

tomato tom
12-04-2011, 01:14 PM
I cant get hold of the Debarge or Teena Marie sets in store. I asked at HMV, and I have to order online, which I HATE doing. On a slightly different topic, there has been a lot of press here in the UK that record companies are planning to phase out CDs next year. I HATE the sound quality of a download. Plus, I want the physical item in my hand. I want the artwork, the liner notes, and all the relevant information. They said vinyl was dead, but its making a HUGE comeback in the UK. Thoughts?..Paulo xxx

paladin
12-04-2011, 03:41 PM
There is an alternate of I Truly Truly Believe; that is the only alternate. The German and Italian singles are there.

I understand that its by Eddie Kendricks....now thats interesting........lol.....

Oh yes I heard snippets , I was like....ok....... good decision to let Melvin sing it........they have Melvin's version listed as the alternate take........and this was the one everyone was familiar with.......

jobeterob
12-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Yes, you are totally correct; they have Melvin's listed as the alternate. I was surprised.

And a story about Eddie singing in his natural voice, called a rare find.

Perhaps this is one of those "throw in an alternate so the heavy duty fans buy it" situations.

paladin
12-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Perhaps this is one of those "throw in an alternate so the heavy duty fans buy it" situations.

Right but as a long time fan and collector it really ticks me off because its been fifty years dam it, release the stuff we want to hear........they have sold most of these songs twenty times over, there must be a wealth of material by Dennis Edwards , Eddie Kendricks, Ali Woodson, Barrington Henderson, Theo Peoples, Louis Price, Richard Street, GC Cameron which we haven't heard, If I left anybody out forgive me...I got a headache...lol.......

thommg
12-05-2011, 12:12 AM
If you are in New York City, you'll find Hip-O product at J&R Music World across from City Hall in the financial district. They get them fairly quickly. I picked up the Supremes 50th Singles set and they also had the Temptations but I couldn't afford both. Their bins also have many of the other releases and their box set area even has some of the Complete Singles collection. All at slightly lower prices than at the Hip-O website.

arrr&bee
12-07-2011, 02:00 PM
right but as a long time fan and collector it really ticks me off because its been fifty years dam it, release the stuff we want to hear........they have sold most of these songs twenty times over, there must be a wealth of material by dennis edwards , eddie kendricks, ali woodson, barrington henderson, theo peoples, louis price, richard street, gc cameron which we haven't heard, if i left anybody out forgive me...i got a headache...lol.......hey paladin,how about a live version of[ain't too proud to beg,with paul williams on lead]and yes it did happen in 66 at the howard in dc and i was right there to see it..now that would be something to have on a temps compilation set!!

paladin
12-07-2011, 05:13 PM
I feel you Jai, I'm just sick of all the same records all the time, when we all know there's a wealth of material out there we haven't heard, which in an odd sort of way would be like new releases.......anything by Paul Williams would be welcome anytime..........here we are fitty years after the fact and we still don't get no respect...........guess we'll have to wait like they do before induction into the hall of fame....we'll have to die first and then Bam !!!! all of a sudden The Lost, Lost, Lost, Buried, Hidden, Undiscovered and Covered up Temptations Sides !!!!!! ........give me a break......lol......

reese
12-07-2011, 06:15 PM

You might try stores in the fye chain, if there are any in your area. I've seen some Hip-O-Select items at those in my area.

kenneth
12-07-2011, 06:46 PM
You might try stores in the fye chain, if there are any in your area. I've seen some Hip-O-Select items at those in my area.

Someone else mentioned they do have them at J&R in NY, in LA they have them at Amoeba [[which is about the only record store left anyway).

arrr&bee
12-10-2011, 06:16 PM
I feel you Jai, I'm just sick of all the same records all the time, when we all know there's a wealth of material out there we haven't heard, which in an odd sort of way would be like new releases.......anything by Paul Williams would be welcome anytime..........here we are fitty years after the fact and we still don't get no respect...........guess we'll have to wait like they do before induction into the hall of fame....we'll have to die first and then Bam !!!! all of a sudden The Lost, Lost, Lost, Buried, Hidden, Undiscovered and Covered up Temptations Sides !!!!!! ........give me a break......lol......you know you preachin to the chior,heck i bet that there might be between 25-100 songs unreleased on the temps.

soulster
12-11-2011, 02:43 AM
Someone else mentioned they do have them at J&R in NY, in LA they have them at Amoeba [[which is about the only record store left anyway).

I'm still surprised at what I find at Amoeba in Hollywood. The only thing is don't bother looking for 45s. All it seems they have are the average pop titles and indie punk titles.

kenneth
12-11-2011, 03:03 AM
I'm still surprised at what I find at Amoeba in Hollywood. The only thing is don't bother looking for 45s. All it seems they have are the average pop titles and indie punk titles.

And a very knowledgeable and helpful staff, don't you think? There was a thread once where we were talking about old record stores, and I commented that I thought Tower Records had the rudest clerks on the face of the earth. Of course, that was when they were practically the only game in town.

jobeterob
02-09-2012, 01:05 AM
Kamasu.............here is the other Tempts 50th Anniversary Thread. Not sure if there is something in here that would interest you.

Kamasu_Jr
02-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Kamasu.............here is the other Tempts 50th Anniversary Thread. Not sure if there is something in here that would interest you.

I did see it, thanks Rob. There are some other alternate takes or mixes on the Tempts set. That longer fade on Why Did She Have to Leave Me is good stuff. I have to listen to it again. But did the Emperors box have all of the B-Sides as well? I can't find mine right now. I've moved into a house and have not unpacked my CDs. I had 20-25 large cartons of discs. The moving men looked at me like I was crazy.

soulster
02-09-2012, 03:42 PM
I did see it, thanks Rob. There are some other alternate takes or mixes on the Tempts set. That longer fade on Why Did She Have to Leave Me is good stuff. I have to listen to it again. But did the Emperors box have all of the B-Sides as well? I can't find mine right now. I've moved into a house and have not unpacked my CDs. I had 20-25 large cartons of discs. The moving men looked at me like I was crazy.

No, they didn't. And, after 1971, they used a few stereo mixes where mono mixes existed.