PDA

View Full Version : When the Funk Bros saved the day!

test

jboy88
12-02-2011, 03:15 PM
In honor of the new Earl Van Dyke set being announced, I thought I'D reflect on something Norman whitfield was quoted stating on the "Standing In Shadows of Motown" film about how "A chicken having his neck squeeze over a funk bros track, would have a hit record"! That said I thought of some Motown tracks that have great workouts from the Funks but would suck otherwise due to sub-par vocal,lyrics etc. here are some of m picks

Little Water Boy-Stevie Wonder and Clarence Paul
I Comma Zimba Zio- Abdullah
Goodnight Irene- The Originals
TLC- Pj
I Should Be Proud- Martha and the Vandellas
Arma'Gedan- Michael Denton

any more?

Roger Polhill
12-02-2011, 03:36 PM
James Jamerson`s bass lines on "Little Water Boy" are insane - absolutely brilliant. My first thought on your thread jboy.I`ll give it some thought.

BayouMotownMan
12-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Shotgun. In fact, Gordy demanded the Funks be laid over the All Stars to give it that immortal intro

Roger Polhill
12-02-2011, 04:08 PM
How about "Heigh Ho" - Supremes.
"Ballad of Davy Crockett" - Supremes.
"Choo Choo Train" - Little Lisa.

jboy88
12-03-2011, 04:23 PM
A few more to add to my list, "Suzie" by Terry Johnson and "A Child Is Waiting" by Dave Prince!

But I think Heigh Ho was done in LA. But i've never heard it, so don't take my word or it!

Roger Polhill
12-04-2011, 04:09 AM
Oooops! thanks jboy.

robb_k
12-04-2011, 05:03 AM
"California Soul" track done by The Funks on The Messengers' version is one of the greatest tracks ever made. the vocals are awful, to my taste. But the instrumental tracks are so great, that I can listen to the song, anyway. Same for "Choo Choo Train". "Goodnight Irene" has terrific tracks, but, I like The Originals' singing on it as well, and like Terry Johnson's singing on "Suzie", and Stevie and Clarence on "Little Water Boy". There is no doubt, however, that their instrumentals MADE almost all The Motown artists what they became [[and a given % "better").

jboy88
12-04-2011, 03:01 PM
I like the singing on Goodnight Irene and Water Boy, but the lyrics made no sense!

I agree with Little Lisa's tracks, especially "Hang on Bill"

bankhousedave
12-04-2011, 05:23 PM
Did I miss something? What new Earl Van Dyke set?

Roger Polhill
12-04-2011, 07:58 PM
The Motown Sound thread dave.

bankhousedave
12-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Duh. I tink I'm getting a bit dense.