PDA

View Full Version : The Marvelettes Final Gig Together

test

cheekylincs
11-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Just curious to know when and where exactly did the Marvelettes perform their last gig together. Also when did they disband....not sure if they would have recorded material after their last gig together! I know that by the time of the last album The Marvelettes were no longer together and for all intents and purposes it was Wanda's solo efforts that contributed to The Return Of The Marvelettes. Would also be interested to know the timeline for various members of The Marvelettes leaving the group and when exactly did Anne join The Marvelettes!

motony
11-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Anne joined in late '67 after Gladys had left to have her first child.cheekylincs, you should get Marc Taylors book on the Original Marvelettes that was done with Katherine Anderson Shaffner.

cheekylincs
11-30-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks motony for that. I have the Marc Taylors book on order hoping it will answer all sorts of questions!

reese
11-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Unfortunately the book doesn't mention a final performance. It just seems that after some hard days on the road with Wanda, the group just sort of petered out.

franjoy56
12-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Catherine told me sometime ago that the Marvelettes Ann, Catherine and Wanda did their last gigs together in the spring of 1969, at the time when there was real friction between Catherine and Wanda, like Cindy in the Supremes, Ann was an innocent bystander who thought keeping Wanda happy was the key, when it really was not the case.

cheekylincs
12-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Interesting insight...........thank you for that franjoy56

RossHolloway
12-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Does anyone know more of the backstory about what the friction between Kat and Wanda?

BayouMotownMan
12-01-2011, 11:25 AM
It had to do with Wanda's ego and unprofessionalism. She wouldn't show up for performances, would fire musicians that Kat would have to go and smooth over. Wanda was very out of control during this period. Kat went to Motown for intervention but they were concentrating on the J5 and breaking out Diana so offered nothing. Therefore Kat and Ann left. And that was the end of the Marvelettes

brother_love
12-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Gladys, Wanda and a girl named Theresa Lockhart did do a few gigs together after the group broke up, but I'm sure of the year.

motony
12-01-2011, 01:22 PM
all members of the group would be sued by the promoter if a contracted performance did not take place & you would think Motown would have been involved in that.

Calv1971
12-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I remember reading in a Blues and Soul interview with Mary Wilson that Florence Ballard had been talking with a couple of the Marvelettes about forming a "Supremes" type group, early 70's period l believe, anyone know any more on this?

franjoy56
12-01-2011, 11:45 PM
I don't recall flo partnering with the Marvelettes unless it was with Gladys and or Wanda, but I do recall reading in Soul Magazine, that Flo was interested in singing with Lynda and Jean of the supremes when they left Motown in 73, and they were suppose to form the flos group back then but flo apparently was not able to fullfill that because of the legal issues she had.

I remember reading in a Blues and Soul interview with Mary Wilson that Florence Ballard had been talking with a couple of the Marvelettes about forming a "Supremes" type group, early 70's period l believe, anyone know any more on this?

jobeterob
12-02-2011, 01:05 AM
Too bad we didn't get Flo, Jean and Lynda; that might have been a strong group.

What a shame about the Marvelettes infighting; another dream gone awry; it's a pipe dream to think a record company ran by Berry Gordy would support fighting Marvelettes and Supremes instead of pushing the J5 and Diana Ross. It just would never happen.

johnny_raven
12-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Jean and Lynda were also supposed to go out as a duo called "Jeanie & Lynda". Stevie Wonder was composing tracks to be produced by Richard Perry. News of this came out in the Fall of 1975.