PDA

View Full Version : The Marvelettes Anthology

test

tomato tom
11-29-2011, 04:23 PM
:[[ With all the excitement of the upcoming Marvelettes set happening, something crossed my mind. When Motown issued their original Anthology series on Vinyl back in the day, The Marvelettes issue was the ONLY one not issued with a booklet. I even remember a review of this in Blues & Soul magazine at the time commenting on this. Why was this, do you think? Did Hollywood Motown have such little regard for the group that the marketing people couldnt be bothered? Thoughts?..Paulo xxxx:D

BayouMotownMan
11-29-2011, 04:33 PM
It was rush-released on the heels of the Carpenters hitting it big with a re-make of Please Mr. Postman. Motown did not plan an Anthology on the Marvelettes. A belated Anthology on Stevie Wonder, re-titled Looking Back came years after it was scheduled.

RossHolloway
11-29-2011, 04:34 PM
I don't think Looking back had a booklet either, don' remember one with the Vandellas either..or Stevie Wonder

BayouMotownMan
11-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Vandellas had a booklet

tomato tom
11-29-2011, 04:55 PM
I have the Stevie Anthology with booklet. Also Martha & The Vandellas with booklet. Maybe Looking Back didnt get a booklet. Originally Stevies Anthology was planned along with the rest of the series. Copies were pressed up. Stevie, with his new contract, went apeshit.Ordered all withdrawn, and Motown, to try and recoup their outlay shipped most to Europe where I got mine. About a year later, the EXACT album was issued in the U.S. retitled Looking Back. Same art work except for the change in title. Must have cost a fortune for Motown. Talk about artist control! The Vandellas Anthology when issued in the UK did not get a booklet, and alas, U.K. Motown didnt when it finally got a British release.....Paulo xxx

tomato tom
11-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Addition to above, last sentance was to say The Marvelettes also didnt get a booklet when UK Motown finbally issued it..Paulo xxx

BayouMotownMan
11-29-2011, 05:08 PM
The Vandellas booklet was pictorally beautiful with some great shots of the last appearance at Cobo Hall. The back cover of Martha smiling onstage is one of the best shots ever taken of her, if a bit grainy

BayouMotownMan
11-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Also the Marvelettes Anthology had all the single releases, to my remembrance. I was disappointed when the Vandellas Anthology omitted some important single releases such as Lonely Room, and I Can't Dance

tomato tom
11-29-2011, 05:17 PM
I thought all the booklets had great photos. Jr Walkers was brilliant! They all had lots of pics not seen before or since come to that. The only Anthology albums im missing on vinyl are by The Jackson Five and Four Tops. Have to keep on looking and hunting. Its funny how some things just turn up. Last week, I just happened to pop into a second hand store on the way home, on a street I dont normally use. Found the original Four Tops Greatest Hits Volumne 2 on U.S. Motown Mint for 1.50! Although I have all the tracks many times, I didnt have this particular LP. Well, its another gap filled in my collection...Paulo xxx

RossHolloway
11-29-2011, 05:22 PM
What the... none of the anthologies I bought back in the day had booklets! I feel so cheated..

reese
11-29-2011, 05:23 PM
I think most of the later ANTHOLOGYs didn't receive booklets. In addition to the Marvelettes, the Jackson 5 and Diana Ross sets didn't have one. I think the sets on the Commodores and Grover Washington lacked booklets as well.

Re the Marvelettes not having a booklet, I admit that I was disappointed when I bought the set and there wasn't one. But the album design is quite nice, with rare photos from all eras of the group. It wasn't until I bought the set that I knew the group started as a quintet.

reese
11-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Also the Marvelettes Anthology had all the single releases, to my remembrance. I was disappointed when the Vandellas Anthology omitted some important single releases such as Lonely Room, and I Can't Dance

I think the Marvelettes' collection was the only one that had every single release. The Pips' collection had all but two.

Years later, knowing that there were more singles, I was surprised that the Vandellas' set was missing quite a few. Considering there were a few b-sides, as well as one album track [[BENJAMIN) included, they could have included a few more singles.

tomato tom
11-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Yes reese, your right, the later Anthologies did not get booklets. It was only the original series, except for The Marvelettes. I was annoyed when my Diana Ross & The Supremes purchase lacked one. It was issued with one, but I was unlucky in the fact that my issue didnt get one inserted. Still looking for a replacement...Paulo xxx

tomato tom
11-29-2011, 05:42 PM
I forgot about Gladys Knight & The Pips. Still looking for that one too. Yes, I agree, some of the tracks, historicaly, were off. Without digging it out, I seem to remember the Jr set missing Take Me Girl Im Ready...Paulo xxx

johnjeb
11-29-2011, 10:49 PM
I've always thought The Marvelettes Anthology centerfold collage was genius! It fits so well with the image of the early-60s Girl Group era, their biggest hits years.

The booklets in the other anthologies are nice but The Marvelettes Anthology is unique in such a special way. Whenever I open that album I know my eyes light up and I'm grinning from ear-to-ear.

When it was released a DJ from a local rock station in Boston [[WBCN) remarked how The Marvelettes Anthology was her favorite Motown Anthology second to The Supremes. My feelings exactly.

Greatly looking forward to Forever More.

huntergettingcaptured
11-30-2011, 01:48 AM
I've always thought The Marvelettes Anthology centerfold collage was genius! It fits so well with the image of the early-60s Girl Group era, their biggest hits years.

The booklets in the other anthologies are nice but The Marvelettes Anthology is unique in such a special way. Whenever I open that album I know my eyes light up and I'm grinning from ear-to-ear.

How true! I too was really disappointed that there was no booklet for the group, but the trade off was that amazing collage of photos you wrote about. I love the brilliant red background and all those fantastic photos and records. Out of all the Anthology sets I've bought, I feel the Marvelettes' set has the best centerfold. In fact, I love it so much, I've got three of 'em!

randy_russi
11-30-2011, 09:17 AM
Sadly, and why is unknown, but the Marvelettes Anthology did not give the individual names of the group members.
This was a bonus for the bogus groups who pretended to be some of the girls in the photos on the lp cover.
Surprisingly, in the 60s, the Marvelettes Greatest Hits lp also did not include the names of the girls in the
photo on the back cover nor in the liner notes. Again, another big bonus for the fakes to claim they are some
of the girls in the photos [[and they did claim that!).
As great as the "pink" lp is and was, the cover did not identify them individually and gives the impression that
Kat is the lead singer--hence her larger photo and she is wearing pink. Shame on Motown's art department
for this terrible treatment of the group responsible for the company's first number one hit.

Motown Eddie
11-30-2011, 11:32 AM
:[[ With all the excitement of the upcoming Marvelettes set happening, something crossed my mind. When Motown issued their original Anthology series on Vinyl back in the day, The Marvelettes issue was the ONLY one not issued with a booklet. I even remember a review of this in Blues & Soul magazine at the time commenting on this. Why was this, do you think? Did Hollywood Motown have such little regard for the group that the marketing people couldnt be bothered? Thoughts?..Paulo xxxx:D

That's a good question. I had first picked up The Marvelettes' Anthology back in 1980 and I was disappointed that there was no booklet included like there was for the other albums in the series. I've often wondered if this is why they've been dubbed "mysterious" in the pages of Rolling Stone's History of Rock And Roll. Also, The Jackson 5's Anthology had no booklet included when it first came out in 1976 [[however, the first CD edtion of the album from 1987 did have a booklet). And while Stevie Wonder's Anthology/Looking Back from 1977 had a booklet, it had no addtional notes other that a brief paragraph on the third page [[it did have great pictures of Stevie spanning the sixties to the early seventies).

rovereab
11-30-2011, 02:34 PM
I have several Anthology LP sets bought in the UK.

My triple LP Supremes anthology [[with booklet) comprising the sliver US Motown sleeve and UK Tamla-Motown LPs. My Smokey & Miracles Anthology [[with booklet) is a triple LP set in a brownish US Motown sleeve with Tamla-Motown LPs. My Marvin Gaye Anthology is a 2 LP set [[with booklet) with UK Tamla-Motown sleeve and LPs. I believe my Gladys Knight [[lilac sleeve) and Temptations Anthology [[white sleeve) follow the same approach as the Marvin Gaye Anthology.

johnjeb
11-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Sadly, and why is unknown, but the Marvelettes Anthology did not give the individual names of the group members.
This was a bonus for the bogus groups who pretended to be some of the girls in the photos on the lp cover.

Shortly after the Anthology was released I learned that The Marvelettes would be appearing locally. I decided I couldn't wait for the weekend to attend with friends so I went on a weeknight alone

To my horror it was three unknown women, who we have since referred to as "The Imposterettes"! I did approach one of the ladies after the show and expressed my disappointment. I was told that they were employed by Motown or something of that nature.

To add insult to injury the Anthology cover was hanging in the lobby marquee!

Needless to say my friends never attended the show on the weekend.

I must admit, however, that during the same period, and in the same type of locations, I saw The Chiffons and The Crystals and I cannot tell you if any of them were original. So I know my Motown girls but am lacking in knowledge of similar groups from other companies.

randy_russi
12-01-2011, 09:44 AM
The Crystals ALWAYS have had original member Dee Dee Kenniebrew as she has the rights to the name. I believe
the Chiffons always included two originals.

tomato tom
12-02-2011, 05:35 PM
The original Anthology albums by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, Diana Ross & The Supremes, The Temptations etc, released in the UK, had the U.S.covers and booklets, but UK Tamla Motown vinyl. I often wondered why. Anyone know?..Paulo xxx