PDA

View Full Version : Motown Reinvention

test

skooldem1
11-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Have there ever been any Motown acts that have re-invented themselves, or their act, and gone on to bigger success? I'm thinking along the lines of Labelle. I feel Diana Ross reinvented herself many times over her career. From the Supreme, to Solo career. Not much change in her act with that move, but her persona was more adult. Then came Diana Ross the movie star, the Disco queen, and the long hair weave wearing Superstar persona [[starting with the Boss Lp) . It could be said that Rick James also changed his look and act, as well as George Clinton. The Temptations changed slightly when Dennis Edwards joined- music wise, but overall they still remained the same suite wearing Tempts. The Supremes had changes of lead singers but their act and look remained the same. Stevie changed also, but I don't know if his was more of a natural progression when one grows up. Marvin certainly re-invented himself with "What's going on", he became more "political", and then "Lets get it on", with him becoming more sexual. Besides Diana, Stevie, Marvin and Rick James or George Clinton, what other acts totally reinvented themselves, or their act?

carlo
11-27-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure if Diana really ever totally reinvented herself. Her style changed over the years and she became more and more glamorous, but I don't know if I would call it a reinvention. The biggest change she underwent was when she released the "diana" album in 1980. She seemed to develop a bit of an edge with her look and music, but that really only happened with the album cover and the music. Her onstage image and persona remained the same for the most part.

Most artists change with the times. When I think of reinvention, I think of Tina Turner or Cher. They made big turn arounds with their careers and took big risks IMO.

Motown Eddie
11-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Have there ever been any Motown acts that have re-invented themselves, or their act, and gone on to bigger success? I'm thinking along the lines of Labelle. I feel Diana Ross reinvented herself many times over her career. From the Supreme, to Solo career. Not much change in her act with that move, but her persona was more adult. Then came Diana Ross the movie star, the Disco queen, and the long hair weave wearing Superstar persona [[starting with the Boss Lp) . It could be said that Rick James also changed his look and act, as well as George Clinton. The Temptations changed slightly when Dennis Edwards joined- music wise, but overall they still remained the same suite wearing Tempts. The Supremes had changes of lead singers but their act and look remained the same. Stevie changed also, but I don't know if his was more of a natural progression when one grows up. Marvin certainly re-invented himself with "What's going on", he became more "political", and then "Lets get it on", with him becoming more sexual. Besides Diana, Stevie, Marvin and Rick James or George Clinton, what other acts totally reinvented themselves, or their act?

The Isley Brothers are a great example of a Motown act [[okay, they were only on Motown between 1966 thru 1968) that re-invented themselves. After leaving Motown, they became a funk act; scored with classics like "It's Your Thing" & "I Turned You On" and started incorporating rock influences [[and added their two younger brothers and their cousin to the act) in the early '70s for "That Lady", "Fight The Power" and other hits. Not to mention that they wrote & produced much of their own material during this as well as owning their own record label; T-Neck Records.

robb_k
11-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Connie Haines, Barbara McNair and Billy Eckstine had all been MOR ballad singers, and had to change their style to sing Funk Brothers' mid-tempo and fast tempoed Motown "mechanical sound" Soul songs. Paul Peterson, Irene Ryan, Bunny Paul and Tony Martin did NOT change their style, to adapt to "The Motown Sound".

The Originals changed into an Afro-bearing "Soul" group, after having been a "Doo Wop" group as The Voice Masters.r. Walker & The All Stars changed from an instrumental group to add vocals.

The Versatiles [[pre-5th Dimension) were a Soul group. They changed to a Pop/folk group, before their return to Motown.

Hotspurman
11-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Rick James would be an obvious one - initially a member of the rock influenced Mynah Birds and then a punk funker as a solo artist.

skooldem1
11-28-2011, 10:02 AM
The Isley's is a good one. I forgot about them. Perfect example. Ron was lucky enough to reinvent himself again in the 90's/2000 as "Mr. Big".

marv2
11-28-2011, 10:27 AM
The Undisputed truth gets my vote for best reinvention.

Motown Eddie
11-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Have there ever been any Motown acts that have re-invented themselves, or their act, and gone on to bigger success?

And here's another great example of a former Motown act who re-invented himself and went on to bigger and better things; none other than Michael Jackson. He starts off as the lead singer of The Jackson 5 at age 11 with an amazing run of classic hits like "I Want You Back", "ABC", "The Love You Save" and others. The songs are all written and produced by Motown's staff songwriters [[along with Motown head, Berry Gordy) and are in a bubble gum soul vein [[with members of the Jackson 5 ranging from Michael's age 11 to Jackie's age 16). His solo career begins at Motown with "Got To Be There" in 1971 while his group, The Jackson 5, are still in the middle of their historic run of hits. Five years later, The Jackson 5 leave Motown for Epic Records in order to write and produce their own material [[and abandon their "bubble gum soul" image for a more adult sound in the process). With Destiny and Triumph, the group accomplish their goals with big hits like "Shake Your Body [[Down To The Ground)", "Lovely One", "Can You Feel It". The Jacksons [[as they are now known after leaving Motown) are established as song writers & producers and are very sucessful. As for Michael Jackson, when he releases Off The Wall and Thriller, he goes on to change the course of American pop music and becomes the best selling recording act of all time. Talk about going on to bigger success......

carlo
11-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Diana Ross & the Supremes reinvented themselves with the Love Child album.

Motown Eddie
11-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Diana Ross & the Supremes reinvented themselves with the Love Child album.

The Supremes would re-invent themselves yet again when Diana Ross leaves them for her solo career in 1970. With "Up The Ladder To The Roof", "Stoned Love", "Nathan Jones" & "Floy Joy", they leave behind the "pining for their man to treat them right" tone of the major hits that made them stars in the mid '60s for lyrics that embraced a more assertive female persona [["Nathan Jones") and addressed a "higher love for mankind" concept [["Stoned Love" & "Up The Ladder To The Roof"). And on one of their final hits, "I'm Gonna Let My Heart Do The Walking" in 1976, they not only take on mid '70s Disco Music with flair but the lyrics of the song tell the "no good man" to take a flying leap. It's unfortunate that The Supremes didn't surpass their success from the '60s in terms of record sales [[as we know, their sales would fall off during the mid '70s for various reasons).

smark21
11-28-2011, 09:20 PM
One can say the Marvelettes were re invented when Smokey Robinson began to produce those sexy sophisticated soul songs with Wanda on lead. They grew up with with those songs.

roger
11-29-2011, 08:36 AM
One artist who started as a Motown artist and who went on to bigger things when he left was rocker MEATLOAF.

Here he is with his singing partner STONY singing what must be his best known Motown track .. "What You see Is What You Get" .. released on the Rare Earth label in both the US and UK in 1971 ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjBpi3Cu6V4

Roger

Motown Andy
11-29-2011, 09:50 AM
How about Lionel Richie? From sax player to member of one of the greatest funk bands [[Commodores) to songwriter producer balladeer? Lamont Dozier and Eddie Holland from singers to unbeatable songwriters? Chris Clark from singer to writer/photographer? Or Suzanne DePasse from assistant to running the company? I like this thread.

tamla617
11-29-2011, 06:56 PM
the motown/detroit [[or just) the spinners

from the sound of detroit to philly

and what about meatloaf

tomato tom
11-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Dont forget The Originals went from romantic hits like Baby Im For Real and The Bells to a real low point. then bounced back with the huge disco hit Down To Lovetown....Paulo xxx

tomato tom
11-29-2011, 07:02 PM
marv2..I agree with you on the Undisputed Truth. Apart from joe Harris, that group had more line ups and makeovers than any group I can think of....Paulo xxx

mysterysinger
11-29-2011, 07:38 PM
1) Stevie Wonder when his voice broke.
2) Rita Wright became Syreeta.
3) Ashford and Simpson became Solid [[as a rock).
4) Thelma Houston went disco.
5) 4 Tops went loco in Acapulco
6) Kiki Dee had a monster duet with Elton John
7) Jimmy Ruffin recorded the Bee Gees.
8) Jermaine Jackson - Did what he did on Arista
9) Scherrie Payne re-invented herself as a Supreme
10) Johnny Bristol Hung On In There Baby

mysterysinger
11-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Almost forgot about Tommy Chong!