PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Ruffin Sings Top Ten

test

justanothermotownfan
11-26-2011, 05:11 AM
Would someone be kind enough to post a clean scan of this album for me? Thank you in advance...

nabob
11-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Waiting for download:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24608030@N06/6405196345/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24608030@N06/6405196303/in/photostream/

There were two covers issued on this LP.

justanothermotownfan
11-26-2011, 02:15 PM
Thanks so much!!

Jimi LaLumia
11-26-2011, 05:31 PM
I have the original vinyl LP release...FABULOUS

marv2
11-26-2011, 06:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG4mGeouOns&feature=related

tomato tom
11-27-2011, 02:59 PM
I have this, but I never knew there were two different covers! Damn! this collecting lark never ends! Paulo xxx

nabob
11-27-2011, 10:42 PM
I have this, but I never knew there were two different covers! Damn! this collecting lark never ends! Paulo xxxThe reasons for the two covers were previously discussed [about a year ago?]. Unfortunately, I don't remember the reasons. The red cover was in broad circulation in 1966 or 1967. Mine came from the Columbia Record Club. I don't remember seeing the other cover until a couple of years later [1968].

Jimi LaLumia
11-27-2011, 11:13 PM
I Got MARVELETTES GREATEST HITS from Columbia Record Club in 1966 with a green cover but i understand there's an orange cover as well, was this a record club thing?

huntergettingcaptured
11-28-2011, 12:53 AM
I found that orange cover in a record store a few years ago. It wasn't a tie in with a record club, but I believe the orange cover came out first, then it was changed to the green cover. From what I've read in a book on Motown, the art department would change a cover if they felt it would make it more appealing visually, or make the type more readable.

The orange cover has blue lettering and it does tend to create a "strobing" effect for the eyes!

I had the sepia-tinted Jimmy Ruffin cover and finally found the alternate cover in Chicago just a couple of years ago. Just pure chance that I came upon it! One of the few times I didn't care about the price, I just bought it!

Now, see if you can find the alternate cover of the Stevie Wonder album, "I Was Made To Love Her"!

Paulo, you've got your work cut out for you!

kenneth
11-28-2011, 01:00 AM
I Got MARVELETTES GREATEST HITS from Columbia Record Club in 1966 with a green cover but i understand there's an orange cover as well, was this a record club thing?

In Detroit, the orange cover was the Mono version and the green cover was the Stereo version. I think that's the only Greatest Hits package where they had the two different color designs.

uptight
11-28-2011, 02:20 AM
This is cool. I've always seen both covers but never compared them side-by-side. LOL

wedgeville
11-28-2011, 06:55 AM
And then there was the UK version, which was re-titled "The Jimmy Ruffin Way", and contains a completely different cover design.
A great LP.

Wayne

tomato tom
11-28-2011, 04:04 PM
I have both the orange and green versions of The Marvelettes Greatest Hits. I understood that the orange version was changed for the reasons given by huntergettingcaptured, but who knows. I have the sepia version of the Jimmy Ruffin album, also the UK Jimmy Ruffin Way. Now as for Stevie..well yes, I do have my work cut out!....Aint collecting fun!..Paulo xxx

nabob
11-28-2011, 07:53 PM
I Got MARVELETTES GREATEST HITS from Columbia Record Club in 1966 with a green cover but i understand there's an orange cover as well, was this a record club thing?Yellow/Orange cover: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24608030@N06/3391094030/in/photostream/lightbox/
Green & Gold cover: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24608030@N06/3391093996/in/photostream/lightbox/

The yellow/orange cover was store bought in NYC; the green/gold also was acquired in NYC compliments of my brother who used my room for storage after I went away to school. Maybe that's why he still holds a grudge.

Roger Polhill
11-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Please tell me the earlier "other" cover of "I Was Made To Love Her" is more valuable.There is an earlier cover of the first "A Collection Of 16 Original Big Hits"
titled "A Package Of 16 Big Hits" too."Four Tops Now" became "Macarthur Park" Jr. Walker`s "Gotta Hold On To This Feeling" became "What Does It Take" "Merry Christmas From Motown was reissued as "Christmas Gift `Rap" .The Miracle`s "Fabulous" became "You Really Got a Hold On Me" the artwork was the same and I think it was on the spine only. The same artwork different tiles for the Miracle`s "Make It Happen" to "Tears Of A Clown" and the Original`s Green Grow The Lilacs" to "Baby I`m For Real" You will know about "Meet The Supremes" and Marveletts Sing" There is possible another cover for "Here I Am" by Barbara McNair. Happy hunting Paulo.

tomato tom
11-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks Roger...Does anyone know why The Marvelettes same titled album has different covers between the U.S. and U.K. issues? I have them both, and have often wondered..Thanks..Paulo xxx

pj1
11-29-2011, 02:52 PM
If you mean "The Pink Album" Tamla TM/TS 274, there is at least 1 cover variation in the U.S. edition. The major difference is the size of the non-pink portion that contains the photos of Kat, Wanda , Gladys. One is considerably larger than the other.
I've always found the size and positioning of the photos interesting -Kat left and large [[part of wig cropped), Wanda, low and center with song titles above [[part of wig also cropped), Gladys, larger than Wanda, no cropping. The uniinitiated might assume that Kat was the lead voice.
Kat [[long black and white) & Wanda [[mid-length black leather) are photographed without the jackets they wore to the outdoor session- Gladys retains her in photo... Perhaps because Gladys' was a matched pants suit, I assume.

pj1
11-29-2011, 03:02 PM
I did a little research. Unless I am mistaken, it is The Marvelous Marvelettes that has a different cover in the U.K.

tomato tom
11-29-2011, 04:41 PM
The Marvelettes Pink album has THE above MARVELETTES on one, as opposed to THE MARVELETTES across the cover on the other. Look at the two and you see the difference. Oh, and yes, pj1, The Marvelous Marvelettes cover is totally different between the U.S. and U.K. issues. Alas, I have neither of the Marvelous albums on vinyl. The hunt continues, as does a big win on the lottery!..Paulo xxx

phil
11-30-2011, 03:46 AM
And then there was the UK version, which was re-titled "The Jimmy Ruffin Way", and contains a completely different cover design.

I have the two pressings [[US & UK) but I prefer the English laminated cover :

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/443f056d4af2405334f3465594ac28c2/76805.jpg