PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Judy [[Judi) & Affections around Detroit-any group info?

test

robb_k
08-26-2010, 11:28 PM
I know that Judy [[Judi) Placido was their lead singer, and they had a contract with Ernie Stratton, and that Al Placido [[her father? -or husband?) co-produced her. I suspect that he was her father, as she sounded like a late teen. I know they sang "Dum, Dum, De Dip"/"Marie Give Him Back" on DoDe 103 in mid 1964, and Pretty Boy-Pretty Girl" on Top Ten 2001 in 1966. I've also heard that Popcorn Wylie was involved in their DoDe session. Here is a link to "Dum, Dum, De Dip": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOjVFNWNpbw&feature=related

Here is their Top Ten Record:

I know nothing else about them. I do remember someone on the SDF Old Forum mentioning they saw them appearing around Detroit back in the mid '60s. Was that Carl P.? Or Ron Murphy? The Count? or Brian? or Sis Detroit, or one of the people not here anymore? Does anyone know the other group members' names? What high school[[s) they went to? The sound like they were in their late teens in 1964. Anyone know of any other records?

I wonder if Patti Young [[Ernstrat Records) was one of their members?

I'd appreciate any help.

robb_k
08-27-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm bumping this up so Carl P., Graham or any others that might be interested can see this thread.

robb_k
08-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Here is a scan of DoDe 103. It shows that Popcorn Wylie worked on that 1964 session, and another J. Placido was involved:

acooolcat
08-28-2010, 02:37 AM
Robb - I know ziltch about the group. Sorry.

carl_p
09-12-2010, 06:18 PM
According to Sal at the record show Judi is from st clair shores and may still live there. She only sang on the two records that he knew of.

robb_k
09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Thanks, Carl.

ralpht
09-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Robb,
I'm trying to remember, regarding who Judy was to Al. I was very tight with Al back in the day, and it may have been his wife. I believe if he had a daughter at that time, she would be too young to be making records.

ralpht
09-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Rob,
It just hit me. Judy Placido was Al's sister.

robb_k
09-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks, Ralph. Do you know who the other J. Placido is? Maybe she had a sister in the group? Do you know if Patti Young was one of their group members?

ralpht
09-13-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure, Rob. I think I have an email address on Al. I'll contact him and find out.

joplacido
09-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Patti Young was not a member.

joplacido
09-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Al Placido is retired, living in Nevada.

joplacido
09-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Judi, Joanne and Al were born and raised on the Eastside of Detroit. Seven and Hayes.

joplacido
09-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Actually, 4 records. Judi and the other group members opted to pursue boyfriends instead of singing careers. Except me, the youngest at 13-4, and too young for boys!!!! For me, being a member of the singing group was a way to go to places that I would be too young to get into. It was a legitimate night out. We recorded in 1963-4.

Doug-Morgan
09-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Anyone speak German? There's a comment on the vid of "Marie, Give Him Back" [[DoDe 103), but I have enough trouble with English, much less German.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-93AyKGfg4

That's some good stuff. Thanks for calling my attention to it.

robb_k
09-03-2012, 06:03 AM
I understand German. But I heard no German in the vocal. If you are referring to a printed comment on the song in German language on You Tube, how do I get to it? This link didn't take me to You Tube, only played the song.

robb_k
09-03-2012, 06:17 AM
I found the particular uploaded version of "Marie, Give Him Back" on You-Tube with the German comment.

The poster is waxing poetic. She refers to the campiness of the old-fashioned music [[I feel very old), and the sweet and smooth flow of Judy Placido's singing and also of that smooth mid-tempo song. Here is more or less what she means:

"There is hardly a more beautiful accompaniment to clean [[my) house as your discography [[group of songs you've uploaded).

My vacuum cleaner swings to [[along with) the campiness and my washing machine [[sound) hums along, dreamily, [[together) with Judy[['s singing).

Thank you for your musical bonbons [[e.g. your sweet, smooth, dreamy song)."

robb_k
09-03-2012, 01:56 PM
I'm bumping this up, so Doug can see the answer to his question.

Doug-Morgan
09-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Thank you. I didn't know if there was any information in there or not.

I sometimes wonder how Europeans get a hold of some of this stuff. There was a little garage band label run by a local DJ out here in the 60's. I knew both a member of one of the bands who recorded on the label, and the jock who ran it. Got enough info to do a blog about it. A couple of months later I got a letter from some guy in Norway [[!) who wondered if I had the masters because he was interested in re-releasing that 50 year old material that pretty much nobody had ever heard of.....

robb_k
09-03-2012, 07:02 PM
You'd be surprised what American trivia is known and enjoyed in little countries around The World. We know that American rare '60s and '70s Soul is widely known in Finland [[as Heikki can attest), also in Sweden, Norway, The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France, etc. I have a large group of fans of my own stories in Finland, Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Even Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania get access to odd bits of North American culture.

heikki
09-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Hi Robb!

Little countries? If I remember correctly, Finland has been in recent years in top-ten in every statistics they've released on business and life conditions. Newsweek even voted us the best country in the world. People just don't know about this region. We're quiet ones. We don't make much noise, but we're quite happy with the way it is.
I became once more aware of the ignorance of our country, when I took a cruise with my wife on an American shipping company just two weeks ago. The facts they gave over there on ship were all wrong. I decided not to interfere.
Robb, I know of your knowledge of many European and Scandinavian countries - by living there - and that's why I really appreciate your words.

Best regards
Heikki

ssholman
10-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi...this is surreal...just saw the movie/documentary titled Searching For Sugarman..awesome story..sad yet I smiled thru most of it, as it was set in Detroit. I received several emails from old broadcast buddies who frequented The Sewer Bar..it inspired me to do a google search from my old high school group, Judi and the Affections. Couldn't believe it when your post came up along with the old song and record on YouTube. Can't tell you how excited I was to see and hear it. It was long lost in my memorabilia. Most of your questions have been answered correctly. Had a photo of us on stage, but somehow it too has been lost. Thanks for the memories...

ralpht
10-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Joplacido,
Are you related to Al?

robb_k
11-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Judi and Joanne are Al's sisters, and the third group member is their cousin. Joplacido is Joanne.

ralpht
11-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks Robb.

snakepit
11-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Robb

as you know I have a lot of 60's tracks on tape. I'm slowly transferring onto CD, but in doing so I lost my database !! so only have tracks on CD that I have done. On searching my new database I saw that this track was included on the Goldmine CD "Way with the girls". I presume it's the same group...

AIN'T GONNA HURT MY PRIDE JUDI & AFFECTIONS WAY WITH THE GIRLS

If I come across anymore I'll post on here
Regards,Snakepit

robb_k
11-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Robb

as you know I have a lot of 60's tracks on tape. I'm slowly transferring onto CD, but in doing so I lost my database !! so only have tracks on CD that I have done. On searching my new database I saw that this track was included on the Goldmine CD "Way with the girls". I presume it's the same group...

AIN'T GONNA HURT MY PRIDE JUDI & AFFECTIONS WAY WITH THE GIRLS

If I come across anymore I'll post on here
Regards,Snakepit
Yes, that's the same group, as I included the scan [[above) on my intro post to this thread. You can see that Judy [[Judi) and Joanne's brother, Al, was co-producer of that record, along with Ernie Stratton.

robb_k
11-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Hi Robb!

Little countries? If I remember correctly, Finland has been in recent years in top-ten in every statistics they've released on business and life conditions. Newsweek even voted us the best country in the world. People just don't know about this region. We're quiet ones. We don't make much noise, but we're quite happy with the way it is.
I became once more aware of the ignorance of our country, when I took a cruise with my wife on an American shipping company just two weeks ago. The facts they gave over there on ship were all wrong. I decided not to interfere.
Robb, I know of your knowledge of many European and Scandinavian countries - by living there - and that's why I really appreciate your words.

Best regards
Heikki
Actually, I have some ties to Finland. My own brother [[who lives in Sweden) lived in Oulu for 3 years, and attended Oulu University [[during the 1990s). I, myself, work for Sanoma Uitgevers [[in The Netherlands). We are a division of Sanoma Publishing, headquarted in Finland, and that company, in turn, is, I believe, owned by Nokia [[a Finnish firm). The Finnish Aku Ankka prints most of my stories. They have re-printed some of mine as many as 4-5 times in different books. I had my own fan club in Finland during the 1990s. My sister married a Dane, and has lived much in nearby, Denmark. I do work also for Swedish Egmont Disney [[Kalle Anka) and Danish Disney [[Anders And). I understand Danish, Norwegian and Swedish.

I am embarrassed to admit that I know only a few words in Finnish [[Suomi) language. But I have made a Christmas card with a traditional Finnish Christmas setting:
http://imageshack.us/a/img526/9866/julifinlandc.jpg

Here is a magazine cover I have drawn:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/Robb_K/Pool2-2.jpg

Here is the original drawing:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/Robb_K/Pool-1.jpg

Here is the first page of one of my stories:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j56/Robb_K/FinnishStoryCredit.jpg

I am also embarrassed to admit that I last visited Finland in 1967. I planned to return to Finland to see a National Hockey League ice-hockey game there a few years ago [[I saw a couple in Stockholm). But I was unable to attend, due to a last minute conflict). I am a big fan of Finnish SM Liiga [[Jokerit and Blues Espoo) as well as The Swedish SEL and Alsvenskan. I also follow the junior leagues in both countries. I played organised hockey in Canada for 17 years.

However, if I do visit in the coming 5-10 years, I will certainly look you up, Heikki. It would be nice for us to meet in person, don't you think?

robb_k
11-02-2012, 12:02 AM
Hi...this is surreal...just saw the movie/documentary titled Searching For Sugarman..awesome story..sad yet I smiled thru most of it, as it was set in Detroit. I received several emails from old broadcast buddies who frequented The Sewer Bar..it inspired me to do a google search from my old high school group, Judi and the Affections. Couldn't believe it when your post came up along with the old song and record on YouTube. Can't tell you how excited I was to see and hear it. It was long lost in my memorabilia. Most of your questions have been answered correctly. Had a photo of us on stage, but somehow it too has been lost. Thanks for the memories...
I take it that you are Judy's, Joanne's and Al's cousin [[as Joanne and Al mentioned that the 3rd member was their cousin). Glad you could hear the DoDe song again. I would have guessed that you all would at least each have one copy of it. Isn't it amazing to find out that people in Finland, Esthonia and Japan want to hear your obscure recordings? Too bad Ernie didn't give you a few boxes of your 45s. You could make some decent money selling them now.

heikki
11-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Hi Robb!

That is really fascinating. I didn't know about your connections. I was a big fan of "Aku Ankka" in the 50s/60s and still like to have a look at them. But your participation in that was news to me; as well as the fan club! Now that I look at those pictures, I can tell you're really good.
I'd be very pleased to meet you. Just let me know in beforehand about your planned arrival [[so that I'll be here, too), and we'll meet.
I'm also a big hockey fan, and living from Espoo, my favourite team is Blues, currently # 6 in our league, but only five points behind the leader.

Best regards
Heikki

robb_k
11-02-2012, 04:44 AM
Hi Robb!

That is really fascinating. I didn't know about your connections. I was a big fan of "Aku Ankka" in the 50s/60s and still like to have a look at them. But your participation in that was news to me; as well as the fan club! Now that I look at those pictures, I can tell you're really good.
I'd be very pleased to meet you. Just let me know in beforehand about your planned arrival [[so that I'll be here, too), and we'll meet.
I'm also a big hockey fan, and living from Espoo, my favourite team is Blues, currently # 6 in our league, but only five points behind the leader.

Best regards
Heikki
Good! Espoo is so close to Helsinki there would be no problem. I'd bet I could spend hours looking at your record collection, and listening to obscure Soul songs I've never heard!

Robb

MaconBlair
10-04-2016, 08:20 PM
Hi! My name is Macon, I'm a filmmaker living in Austin, Texas. I was trying to find some contact info for anyone from Judi & The Affections and I found this thread. I wanted to make sure you knew that we licensed "Dum Dum De Dip" as the end credits song for a film I directed that will be released next year. Our music supervisor worked directly with the company that controlled the rights to the song but I don't know how/if they communicate with the band. But I wanted to THANK YOU so much for recording such a fantastic tune. I feel very honored and lucky to have it close out the movie and I hope it steers some new fans your way. all the best, Macon [[P.S. The movie is called 'I Don't Feel At Home In This World Anymore' and it will be on Netflix sometime in 2017, fyi)