PDA

View Full Version : Stevie albums

test

mysterysinger
11-23-2011, 12:32 PM
Assume Stevie has approved this release but I'm not about to get too excited about it....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Album-Selection-Stevie-Wonder/dp/B005Z4D3R8/ref=sr_1_37?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1322064965&sr=1-37

RossHolloway
11-23-2011, 01:05 PM
I would be excited for the release...if they were all expanded edition re-releases..

Roger Polhill
11-23-2011, 03:33 PM
How about a regular release of "Workout Stevie Workout" I along with others have all the other 60`s albums so I don`t think it`s fair to have purchase the I Tunes deal.

soulster
11-23-2011, 03:38 PM
Nah! Screw that! get the Audio Fidelity gold remasters. They sound superior.

RossHolloway
11-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Roger - If I remember correctly, I think you can download just the "Workout Stevie Workout" album without having to purchase the entire collection

Roger Polhill
11-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Thanks Ross, I looked at I Tunes recently and there were no prices listed although other discs in the set were.I`ll have another look.

Roger Polhill
11-23-2011, 10:04 PM
No it is marked work only.

booty
11-24-2011, 12:56 AM
The "Workout" album is available on 7-digital [[UK) as individual tracks @ 99p each. Last time on i-tunes it was only available as part of the package for around £150.00!

Roger Polhill
11-24-2011, 03:36 AM
Many thanks booty, I`ll check it out.

Bokiluis
11-24-2011, 10:42 AM
This has become a new marketing angle to box an artist's catalog in inexpensive slip covers replicating the original art but without a plastic sleeve over the disc or any information that wasn't on the back cover is not included. So it is pretty much the barebones artist catalog in a customer friendly pricing.

Bokiluis
11-24-2011, 10:50 AM
iTunes and Motown/Universal collaborated on creating a comprehensive digital-only box set, "The Complete Stevie Wonder". It includes all of his released studio albums, b-sides, all the mixes with instrumentals, dubs, etc. all included. What is disappointing is the fact that only the studio albums can be bought individually. The mixes have to be bought with the complete album at a stiff $185.00. What I was hoping for when this was originally announced are all the in progress albums like the 2nd phase of "Fullingness First Finale" and even "In Conversation Peace". I was hoping for tracks that had long been discussed and things like the Wonderlove album.....I am sure that had to be some thing recorded on Wonderlove. What you do get is Diana ad Stevie in the duet of "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" from the Hollywood Palace. But that cannot be bought as a single track, only part of the package.

Roger Polhill
11-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Thanks booty I`ve found it.

booty
11-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Bokiluis

Try 7-Digital - all tracks from The Complete Stevie Wonder are available individually.

Bokiluis
11-25-2011, 02:17 AM
Hi there,

I looked at 7 Digital and I did not see "The Complete Stevie Wonder". "The Complete Stevie Wonder" is a comprehensive album deal between iTunes and Motown/Universal, I cannot imagine iTunes letting another site sell it.

booty
11-25-2011, 04:19 AM
It's there Bokiluis! Link below. I already had most of the albums and many of the remixes, so I just downloaded the odd tracks I was missing plue the "Workout Stevie, Workout album". Buying the set costs £159.00, individual tracks are 99p.

http://www.7digital.com/artists/stevie-wonder/the-complete-stevie-wonder/

mr soul
11-25-2011, 06:00 AM
What no "Where I'm Coming From" & "Music Of My Mind". I recently purchased the Chicago equivalent & at least they treated the first 2 double albums as single CD's. Come on Universal give us a Stevie Wonder release we can buy.

daddyacey
11-26-2011, 04:22 AM
Stevie has the strongest control over a large portion of his work ,next to maybe Mr.Rodgers [[PRINCE) who has become fanatic about control. I read somewhere about a clause of Stevie's that provides for the destruction of some master tapes and unreleased demo's and tracks upon his death. I don't know if that is true or not but you can bet that Mr. Morris has a shitload of tapes in his basement and scattered over many studio vaults around the country. It looks like only another "contusion" and or epiphany would be the reason for him to release anything other than what is already out there ,over and over again. I wouldn't put it past him being a genius/ perfectionst and protective of his work ,cause lets be real ,as we are chomping at the bit for these tracks and our basis for this is total respect and admiration for him and the history of his work ,to him it's his lifes work and growth and is a PERSONAL thing. He reserves the right to release what he wants to release and to destroy that which he does not want to share with others. Maybe it's to avoid the likes of what for example was done with Jay-Z and Kanye's sample of OTIS REDDING's "Try A Little Tenderness" ,on that abomination that they created , or the MICHAEL JACKSON ,"IMMORTAL" CD that was just released. I could understand the feeling of "I'd rather burn my shvt up than rather you turn it into a FRANKENSTEIN SAMPLE DIGITAL MONSTER CIRCUS"

Yes there is a wealth of STEVIE and STEVIE produced tracks in existence ,[[for example the beautiful "BUTTERCUP" from THE JACKSON 5) ,the demos of songs he wrote and gave to other artists, but like it or not it's up to him to release or not release what he wants to. Regardless you have to respect him for that , but if only for that being a part of the respect for his greatness. Same as DIANA not reuniting with MARY and CINDY or SMOKEY not reuniting with the MIRACLES ,if it happens it happens. It's their perogative and it's up to them if it's ever going to happen. That does not impact on what is available however and the respect for and recognition of the works that are in general release. SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bokiluis
11-26-2011, 08:03 AM
It's there Bokiluis! Link below. I already had most of the albums and many of the remixes, so I just downloaded the odd tracks I was missing plue the "Workout Stevie, Workout album". Buying the set costs £159.00, individual tracks are 99p.

http://www.7digital.com/artists/stevie-wonder/the-complete-stevie-wonder/
Wow! You learn something everyday. When I put in "The Complete Stevie Wonder" in search nothing came up. But here it is. That's really interesting because it was originally a joint effort between iTunes and Motown/universal. And they are not even selling the album this way on iTunes. Thanks for the link.

Bokiluis
11-26-2011, 08:12 AM
Stevie has the strongest control over a large portion of his work ,next to maybe Mr.Rodgers [[PRINCE) who has become fanatic about control. I read somewhere about a clause of Stevie's that provides for the destruction of some master tapes and unreleased demo's and tracks upon his death. I don't know if that is true or not but you can bet that Mr. Morris has a shitload of tapes in his basement and scattered over many studio vaults around the country. It looks like only another "contusion" and or epiphany would be the reason for him to release anything other than what is already out there ,over and over again. I wouldn't put it past him being a genius/ perfectionst and protective of his
work ,cause lets be real ,as we are chomping at the bit for these tracks and our basis for this is total respect and admiration for him and the history of his work ,to him it's his lifes work and growth and is a PERSONAL thing. He reserves the right to release what he wants to release and to destroy that which he does not want to share with others. Maybe it's to avoid the
likes of what for example was done with Jay-Z and Kanye's sample of OTIS REDDING's "Try A Little Tenderness" ,on that abomination that they created , or the MICHAEL JACKSON ,"IMMORTAL" CD that was just released. I could understand the feeling of "I'd rather burn my shvt up than rather you turn it into a FRANKENSTEIN SAMPLE DIGITAL MONSTER CIRCUS"

Yes there is a wealth of STEVIE and STEVIE produced tracks in existence ,[[for example the beautiful "BUTTERCUP" from THE JACKSON 5) ,the demos of songs he wrote and gave to other artists, but like it or not it's up to him to release or not release what he wants to. Regardless you have to respect him for that , but if only for that being a part of the respect for his greatness. Same as DIANA not reuniting with MARY and CINDY or SMOKEY not reuniting with the MIRACLES ,if it happens

it happens. It's their perogative and it's up to them if it's ever going to happen. That does not impact on what is available however and the respect for and recognition of the works that are in general release. SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I guess that explains why we haven't heard tracks like from Wonderlove or all those albums that were works in progress that he abandoned at some point. In general I think it is a positive when an artist gets control of his own masters. That makes me wonder just what is the arrangement with Diana and the RCA catalog. Most international iTunes site have all her 80s catalog for sale save for"Ross '83", since internationally they are on EMI. I know that RCA cannot release any of her catalog without her approvalWhat this means for the catalog in general, I'm not sure.

Bokiluis
11-26-2011, 08:28 AM

http://www.7digital.com/artists/stevie-wonder/the-complete-stevie-wonder/Oh, I now see the difference. I am in the states. The U.S. Version of 7 Digital doesn't offer "The Complete Stevie Wonder" for sale only international. So I guess when I did my search I was on the U.S. Version.

soulster
11-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Stevie has the strongest control over a large portion of his work ,next to maybe Mr.Rodgers [[PRINCE) who has become fanatic about control.

Prince has had no control over his Warner Brothers catalog. That may have changed since hie resigned with them recently, but I doubt it.

stephanie
11-27-2011, 03:12 AM
Stevie Wonder is an extremely talented individual but [[Please dont throw the computer at me) I find him to be very boring at times. After Songs in the Key of Life I didnt listen to the rest of his stuff I was just bored with his output. It seems like the people who make the most money are the ones who have this "proprietary nature" where they dont want anyone ruining their music. I understand it but I dont understand the holding back of certain tapes unless they are horrible or of bad quality. He is a genius and for a blind person he writes the most beautiful lyrics on the planet but I wish that I could hear something outstanding.

Bingo
11-27-2011, 03:32 AM
ahem.......

stephanie
11-27-2011, 04:02 AM
I know I am in the minority Bingo but Stevie stopped doing it for me after Key of Life. When I started hearing things like Dont Drive Drunk, I Just Called to Say I love You and things of that ilk I stopped listening. I couldnt even listen to the Secret Life of Plants. It reminds me of when I was an Elton John nut and after that Lion King Song I couldnt take him anymore. I guess I live in the world of Mary Wants to be a Superwoman and As and Village Ghetto Land.

soulster
11-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Stevie Wonder is an extremely talented individual but [[Please dont throw the computer at me) I find him to be very boring at times. After Songs in the Key of Life I didnt listen to the rest of his stuff I was just bored with his output. It seems like the people who make the most money are the ones who have this "proprietary nature" where they dont want anyone ruining their music. I understand it but I dont understand the holding back of certain tapes unless they are horrible or of bad quality. He is a genius and for a blind person he writes the most beautiful lyrics on the planet but I wish that I could hear something outstanding.

No one's going to throw a computer at you, but I am one of those rare people who think "Journey Through The Secret Life Of Plants" was one of the weakest things he ever did, even if it was just a soundtrack. However, "Send One Your Love" is one of the best songs he ever recorded, IMO.

But, if you stopped after "Songs In The Key Of Life", you should at least check out "Hotter Than July". It's the last in the classic Stevie Wonder Albums, and it is very strong! Too bad the sound of the recording sucks. After that, there are the four "new" songs on "Original Musiquarium", a couple off of the "Woman In Red" soundtrack, and "Skeletons". Oh, "In Square Circle"? I tried to convince myself for years that it had some worth. I've finally realized that he could have done without recording it. Well, maybe "Go Home" is decent, but the single "Part-Time Lover" just rubs me the wrong way on so many levels.

But, again, listen to "Hotter Than July". I think it just may become one of your favorite SW albums.