PDA

View Full Version : "90s Whats Goin On Press kit ?

test

nomis
08-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Early in the 90s I was given a Marvin Gaye E.P.K [[electronic press kit) from someone in Polygram - It was roughly a 15 min documentary on the making of Whats Goin On LP with then current interviews with Motown staff and Marvins family..I cant find it anymore in my video collection and I want to show it to my neighbour who has loved the Marvin footage Ive shown him -does anyone out there know where I can get a copy of this promotional doco ? I recall it had heartfelt interviews and if anyone can get hold of it I highly recommend it. cheers

uptight
08-27-2010, 01:28 AM
Sounds cool. I didn't know there was such a video. But I do remember the early 1990s campaign that surrounded MG when they re-issued his CDs, including that CD boxed set of three studio albums plus a bonus disc Love Starved Heart.

On CNN, I saw interviews with then-producer Candace Bond [[and possibly others) talking about the legacy of Marvin Gaye while promoting the new MG "Motown Master Series" product at the time. I think it was a year-long "celebration" of MG. Could Bond's interview have been part of this EPK you talk about?

I still listen to the black & silver version of WGO every once in a while.

pj1
08-27-2010, 01:45 AM
As regards the campaign that Uptight mentions, the flyer announcing the year's activities [[kicking off on February, 1994) stated that March 1994 would see the EPK including archival Gaye Footage [[on 3/4'' for tv), interviews with celebrities, graphics of campaign albums & complete press kit. I wonder if the EKP showed a cover for the proposed February 1995 'Marvin Gaye: The Complete Duets [[with Diana Ross, Kim Weston, and Tammi Terrell) released in conjunction with Valentine's Day promotions. I'm also curious why Mary Wells and Oma Heard weren't included).

nomis
08-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Pji -definetley no cover shot of the proposed duets album,It focused on the importance of Whats Goin On in cultural terms,I remember it included a brief interview segment with Diana specially recorded for the press kit,Im sure Nona and Janis were interviewed,Smokey was saying it was the greatest album ever made....Im gonna have another look in my library for it,I may have dubbed it onto the end of the '95 tribute where Nenech Cherry,Madonna and Boys 2 men did video presentations..I will have another look for it..

nomis
08-27-2010, 08:21 PM
...oh and Jody Watley was interviewed as well speaking very elequently on Marvin....