PDA

View Full Version : Tammi, Mary & Cindy - could it have worked?

test

rovereab
11-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I realise that this is hypothetical given the tragic death of Tammi but if this had not happened do you think that The Supremes with Tammi replacing Diana could have worked?

BTW - this is no reflection on Jean Terrell's ability as IMO she did a fantastic job.

randy_russi
11-22-2011, 03:36 PM
No! She had already had solo success. They didn't need another lead singer launching her own solo career.
I think Scherrie would've been the best choice to replace Diana. She had that spark and razzle so much
like Diana, and she's a FANTASTIC singer and entertainer.
By the way, Tammi took sick before it was even announced that Diana would definitely be leaving.

BayouMotownMan
11-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Even if Tammi were healthy, she wouldn't have taken that gig.

RossHolloway
11-22-2011, 04:13 PM
I think Tammi would have been an excellent replacement for Diana Ross. Tammi hadn't had any real success as a solo artist prior to teaming up with Marvin. What female singer would have turned down the chance to be a part of the most successful female group in history?

randy_russi
11-22-2011, 04:19 PM
It has nothing to do with her exceptional talent, it is her own aspirations--Diana leaves and becomes a superstar--
so when does Tammi make the same move??? Her name was out there and known too--hence: The Supremes
featuring Tammi Terrell; The Supremes starring Tammi Terrell??? I don't even know how happy Mary and Cindy
would be with a solo singer as the new lead--again, it wouldn't be a group anymore, but a lead and two backups.
My opinion, however.

selinasian
11-22-2011, 04:40 PM
No! She had already had solo success. They didn't need another lead singer launching her own solo career.
I think Scherrie would've been the best choice to replace Diana. She had that spark and razzle so much
like Diana, and she's a FANTASTIC singer and entertainer.
By the way, Tammi took sick before it was even announced that Diana would definitely be leaving.

How old would Scherrie have been then? Too young? Mind you, I suppose she was in Glass House round about that time so probably not too young.

RossHolloway
11-22-2011, 04:44 PM
It has nothing to do with her exceptional talent, it is her own aspirations--Diana leaves and becomes a superstar--
so when does Tammi make the same move??? Her name was out there and known too--hence: The Supremes
featuring Tammi Terrell; The Supremes starring Tammi Terrell??? I don't even know how happy Mary and Cindy
would be with a solo singer as the new lead--again, it wouldn't be a group anymore, but a lead and two backups.
My opinion, however.

Yea, but wasn't Jean T also a solo artist or singing with her brother prior to joining the Supremes? And I think it would have been a big deal for any up and coming solo singer to joing the Supremes, or heck any other singer in another female group to join.

BayouMotownMan
11-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Good points Randy, not only would Tammi not have been interested in that spot but Mary and Cindy would not have wanted her. Tammi was quite short actually, more earthy, not into the elegance as much as the other Supremes were. It would not have worked, the public already knew Tammi as Marvin Gaye's singing partner. She was well into the process of launching a solo career from within a duet situation before her illness struck her down. She had two mild hits, better than most in her situation. I love Tammi, her voice was phenomenal, but I don't see her as a Supreme.

It has been said that Scherrie Payne's name was brought up during the time the plans to separate the Supremes was occuring. More likely, it was Freda Payne's name. But in any event, both ladies were signed to Invictus. Dozens of names came and went in the 2.5 years it took Motown to finally name a replacement for Diana Ross, but the only two names given serious consideration, i.e. contracts signed, recordings, meetings etc., were Jean Terrell and Syreeta Wright.

randy_russi
11-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Scherrie was definitely old enough at the time. She is about two years younger than Freda, who's like 70, I believe.

BayouMotownMan
11-22-2011, 06:05 PM
Jean Terrell sang with her brother's group, Ernie Terrell and the Heavyweights, then re-billed as Ernie & Jean Terrell. They were pretty much unknown for the most part, having cut a few sides for a couple of record companies.

There used to be a video on YouTube of Ernie and Jean on the Hollywood Palace hosted by Jack Benny. I can't seem to find it now, but even then Jean Terrell had the type of stage presence that made her ideal to be a Supreme

Roberta75
11-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Good points Randy, not only would Tammi not have been interested in that spot but Mary and Cindy would not have wanted her. Tammi was quite short actually, more earthy, not into the elegance as much as the other Supremes were. It would not have worked, the public already knew Tammi as Marvin Gaye's singing partner. She was well into the process of launching a solo career from within a duet situation before her illness struck her down. She had two mild hits, better than most in her situation. I love Tammi, her voice was phenomenal, but I don't see her as a Supreme.

It has been said that Scherrie Payne's name was brought up during the time the plans to separate the Supremes was occuring. More likely, it was Freda Payne's name. But in any event, both ladies were signed to Invictus. Dozens of names came and went in the 2.5 years it took Motown to finally name a replacement for Diana Ross, but the only two names given serious consideration, i.e. contracts signed, recordings, meetings etc., were Jean Terrell and Syreeta Wright.

I still think Syreeta would have been a good replacement.

bradsupremes
11-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Motown made the best decision by picking Jean Terrell. As much as I love Syreeta as a solo artist, I think she was too much of a Ross sound & look-a-like that it wouldn't have given the group its separation it needed from Diana. Too much of a comparison would have taken place between Syreeta in the group and Diana. It would have done more harm than good. The group needed a new sound and they found that in Jean Terrell. Berry may have washed his hands of the group after Mary stood up to him, but she was in control of the group now and did the best thing for wanting Jean to stay whether people like it or not.

jobeterob
11-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Tammi's voice would have made her an awesome Supreme.

But from what I've read, her personality would not have been great in a group like the Supremes. Someone called her earthy and that fits.

I don't know if Mary and Cindy would have objected because neither of them were really in "lead singer" mode at that time; Cindy never ever really became that and Mary was 15 years from it. But I'm sure they very much more appreciated having a 3rd person that sang lead but wasn't a star.

In retrospect, the only negative in Jean was that she really didn't seem totally committed in the final years to working really hard to make either herself or the group big stars. Her voice was totally awesome; she filled big shoes and she did well for that first year. But at some stage, due to Mary or Pedro or Motown or her personal issues, or perhaps all of those things, Jean just kind of packed it in.

BayouMotownMan
11-22-2011, 08:20 PM
I would agree Rob, I've spoken to Jean many times over the years and the business just wore her down.

Also, Jean Terrell is a family-oriented woman. As much as she loved singing, she longed for a quieter peaceful life and wanted desparately to have children. This became priority to her

captainjames
11-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Easy answer >>>>>>YES

I realise that this is hypothetical given the tragic death of Tammi but if this had not happened do you think that The Supremes with Tammi replacing Diana could have worked?

BTW - this is no reflection on Jean Terrell's ability as IMO she did a fantastic job.

smark21
11-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Scherrie Payne was born in 1944, same year as Mary and Diana, so she would have been old enough.

luke
11-22-2011, 09:36 PM
I agree I think it would have been great-hypothetically. But from what Ive read about Tammi she didnt sound like she had the tempermanent for a group. But I think they would have shined.

motony
11-22-2011, 09:45 PM
I don't think Tammi Terrell would consider it.

marv2
11-22-2011, 09:59 PM

Good question, but I don't think so. I just believe that Tammi was too much of an individual, free spirit to ever fall in line with the rigid Supreme thing. It, the Supremes image was very much a definable one in terms of looks, they way you dressed, smiling all the time in public, extensive touring and live performances and other things. Tammi just never struck me as the type that would fit into bag very well. Sing she could. In terms of looks, she was gorgeous in my opinion, but just force into a situation where you have to be "ON" 24/7 I highly doubt she would have liked that too much.

marv2
11-22-2011, 10:00 PM
I agree I think it would have been great-hypothetically. But from what Ive read about Tammi she didnt sound like she had the tempermanent for a group. But I think they would have shined.

I posted my comments before reading anyone else's other than the one that started this thread. Interesting that you pretty came to the same conclusion with what we knew about Tammi Terrell.

marv2
11-22-2011, 10:02 PM
How old would Scherrie have been then? Too young? Mind you, I suppose she was in Glass House round about that time so probably not too young.

Scherrie Payne is the same age as Mary Wilson and Diana Ross. They were all born in 1944.

marv2
11-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Motown made the best decision by picking Jean Terrell. As much as I love Syreeta as a solo artist, I think she was too much of a Ross sound & look-a-like that it wouldn't have given the group its separation it needed from Diana. Too much of a comparison would have taken place between Syreeta in the group and Diana. It would have done more harm than good. The group needed a new sound and they found that in Jean Terrell. Berry may have washed his hands of the group after Mary stood up to him, but she was in control of the group now and did the best thing for wanting Jean to stay whether people like it or not.

They say that hindisight is 20/20, but looking back at everything now, Jean Terrell was the absolute best choice on the planet to replace Ross and join the Supremes. I sincerely mean it when I say that I don't think Jean ever recorded a truly bad song with the Supremes. She also had the right look, mannerisms and ways to fit into that group very nicely. She did not look or sound at all like her predecessor in mind opinion which was a good thing as they moved into a new decade and changing music tastes. Yes, Mary and Berry made the right choice in Jean Terrell.

marv2
11-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Tammi's voice would have made her an awesome Supreme.

But from what I've read, her personality would not have been great in a group like the Supremes. Someone called her earthy and that fits.

I don't know if Mary and Cindy would have objected because neither of them were really in "lead singer" mode at that time; Cindy never ever really became that and Mary was 15 years from it. But I'm sure they very much more appreciated having a 3rd person that sang lead but wasn't a star.

In retrospect, the only negative in Jean was that she really didn't seem totally committed in the final years to working really hard to make either herself or the group big stars. Her voice was totally awesome; she filled big shoes and she did well for that first year. But at some stage, due to Mary or Pedro or Motown or her personal issues, or perhaps all of those things, Jean just kind of packed it in.

I don't understand this talk about Jean Terrell not being committed to working really hard. She recorded enough material in her first months in the Supremes to fill up 3 maybe 4 albums. Add to that the concert schedule they were keeping and the television appearances. She didn't just do well that first year she was in the group. She did well throughout her tenure with the group. You can only discuss Ms Terrell in vague terms like you did above because she was awesome and did her job splendidly! They were already big stars by the time Jean joined the group or don't recall. Jean's situation had nothing to do with anything you are inferring about Mary and Pedro Ferrer. I think the company could have worked a bit harder on their behalf. ALL of the ladies that were ever in the Supremes worked hard. They had to or IT would have even worked. They became the greatest female group in history. How do you top that Rob?

motony
11-22-2011, 10:21 PM
She was gun-ho the first year or two but she probably became disillusioned & frustrated by Motowns promotion becoming smaller & smaller. I heard that she brought Clifton Davis & "Never Can Say Goodbye" to the company & wanted the song & it was given to the group of children that all promotion was being put behind.

marv2
11-22-2011, 10:31 PM
She was gun-ho the first year or two but she probably became disillusioned & frustrated by Motowns promotion becoming smaller & smaller. I heard that she brought Clifton Davis & "Never Can Say Goodbye" to the company & wanted the song & it was given to the group of children that all promotion was being put behind.

You have very good handle on the situation Jean and the Supremes were in. I think it would have been normal to become disillusioned under those circumstances. I just wished Motown realize all the great talent they had under their roof back then. It is just amazing the amount of talent that was there and came out of there.

luke
11-22-2011, 10:59 PM
When did Pedro come along? Jean left in 1973.

marv2
11-22-2011, 11:10 PM
When did Pedro come along? Jean left in 1973.

Mary met him in 1973 while she, Jean and Lynda were performing in PR. He became her boyfriend very soon after [[You go Pedro! LOL!) but he was not the Supremes manager at all while Jean was still in the group.

REDHOT
11-23-2011, 04:39 AM
Tammi Terrell would have been a great Supreme,with Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong,had she not been sick,and there was a lot of talk,about Tammi replacing Diana,back then,had Tammi replaced Diana,they Mary Cindy,and Berry would have worked with Tammi,and got her into The Supremes Groove,i don't think Miss Tammi Terrell would have turned down, being the new lead singer of The Supremes,Syreeta and Scherrie Payne would have been great also.
Please stay positive

mysterysinger
11-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Jean Terrell was an excellent choice of lead singer for The Supremes. Tammi would have been great too. In fact they could have had both and renamed the group The Terrells. But wait, wouldn't Val have had to step in? So Diana's replacement could have been Valerie Simpson - how about Simpson and the Supremes - has a ring to it?

jobeterob
11-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Valerie Simpson would have been excellent; it's hard for me to imagine it being anyone but Jean, but Valerie would have been dynamic.

If anyone still has the 45 of Up The Ladder to the Roof, I was always surprised how, just on the 45, Motown managed to soften and mellow Jean's sound just a little bit.......so she ended up sounding a lot like Diana Ross. It never sounded that way on the album, just the 45.

selinasian
11-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Scherrie Payne is the same age as Mary Wilson and Diana Ross. They were all born in 1944.
Really? I always thought Scherrie was at least 10 years younger!!!!

jobeterob
11-24-2011, 04:05 PM
LOL........now you're in trouble! Saying Mary and Diana look old compared to Scherrie!! Gotta love it.

I have to admit that Scherrie looks more NATURALLY younger........and I imagine it's because more of it is natural!

milven
11-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Jean Terrell sang with her brother's group, Ernie Terrell and the Heavyweights, then re-billed as Ernie & Jean Terrell. They were pretty much unknown for the most part, having cut a few sides for a couple of record companies.

There used to be a video on YouTube of Ernie and Jean on the Hollywood Palace hosted by Jack Benny. I can't seem to find it now, but even then Jean Terrell had the type of stage presence that made her ideal to be a Supreme

Here's that video. [[start at about 6:50) I don't see any Supreme presence in this performance. Good thing I wasn't running Motown cause I would have passed up one of the best Supremes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uckIULECMy8

marv2
11-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Here's that video. [[start at about 6:50) I don't see any Supreme presence in this performance. Good thing I wasn't running Motown cause I would have passed up one of the best Supremes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uckIULECMy8

I thought she looked and sounded great here in that clip.

luke
11-24-2011, 11:30 PM
I was reading a Motown book today and it seemed Berry was really set on Syreeta. Im surprised he changed his mind so quickly after seeing Jean perform once in Miami. I love Jean but he knew Syreeta and she was a fave of his. I wonder if Diana was aksed her opinion!

selinasian
11-25-2011, 05:58 AM
LOL........now you're in trouble! Saying Mary and Diana look old compared to Scherrie!! Gotta love it.

I have to admit that Scherrie looks more NATURALLY younger........and I imagine it's because more of it is natural!

I know! But it's true! Although in my defence, I never said Diana and Mary looked older. Just that Scherrie looks younger!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)