PDA

View Full Version : Interesting "Dianna" Ross Live World Tour 1993 CD

test

kenneth
11-20-2011, 06:40 PM
I found an interesting full length [[20 track) CD recently entitled "Dianna [sic] Ross Live World Tour 1993." It's a Japanese CD subtitled "Upside Down/Chain Reaction," I suppose because that's the era in which it was recorded.

I'm sure some of you Ross-philes must know about this one, but it's a new one to me. The sound quality is very good, and she's in quite good voice, though the CD mastering has an irritating "drop-out" where the sound just disappears for a second, fairly often throughout the CD. It's quite irritating because just when you forget about it, there's the weird pause in the recorded sound. Quite obviously a bootleg, naturally.

Can't find anything about it anywhere so far, so I just thought I'd post to see if anyone is more familiar with this one.

kenneth
11-22-2011, 09:05 PM
I can't believe no one knows anything about this CD so am bumping it up to try one more time...

johnny_raven
11-22-2011, 10:10 PM
I've had this CD since '94/'95. I haven't played it in years. I think at one point I edited out the dropouts. Otherwise, it was a little awkward to listen to. I don't know where it came from either, but I'm sure it's a bootleg.

kenneth
11-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Thanks Johnny_Raven...K

carlo
11-23-2011, 12:17 AM
I don't think I've heard of this. I do have one of her 1994-ish concerts in mp3 format somewhere. I think the one I have is her 30th Anniversary concert in Ahoy, Rotterdam where she says, "It's been 30 f***ing years!!" Is this the same concert on your CD?

kenneth
11-23-2011, 12:39 AM
I don't think I've heard of this. I do have one of her 1994-ish concerts in mp3 format somewhere. I think the one I have is her 30th Anniversary concert in Ahoy, Rotterdam where she says, "It's been 30 f***ing years!!" Is this the same concert on your CD?

No, I don't hear that on this CD. I'm sure I would remember that coming from Miss Ross!

I found her voice sounding really good at that time. Not as light, lost some of the high notes, but still contained the Ross touches and vocal style which she doesn't really seem to have today, though I'm sure many might disagree with me on that. She still has a decent voice, I just think as she got older and her voice got deeper and less "girlish" sounding that she doesn't sound enough like herself to bring back those great memories of her earlier style.

jobeterob
11-23-2011, 02:12 AM
The voice can bring back the memories for me but it isn't the voice of 40 years ago.

What I would prefer these veteran artists to do [[and sometimes Diana does it) is to tone down some of the "look" and relax and look a bit more like a veteran artist as opposed to someone that is 70 trying to look 28.

There was recently some god awful picture of Patti Labelle where she had made herself a caricature of her old self and had a dress on that was so short it showed part of her privates.........pretty ghastly for a 70 year old gramma.

kenneth
11-23-2011, 02:18 AM
The voice can bring back the memories for me but it isn't the voice of 40 years ago.

What I would prefer these veteran artists to do [[and sometimes Diana does it) is to tone down some of the "look" and relax and look a bit more like a veteran artist as opposed to someone that is 70 trying to look 28.

There was recently some god awful picture of Patti Labelle where she had made herself a caricature of her old self and had a dress on that was so short it showed part of her privates.........pretty ghastly for a 70 year old gramma.

I think I remember that Labelle photo. Ghastly is indeed the word.

I'll always be a Ross fan, but it's her mid-Motown [[Last Time I Saw Him/Touch Me in the Morning/Baby It's Me/The Boss) phase which to me was her finest, both in her quality of voice as well as her choice of material. I loved her as Billie Holiday, but surprisingly the "Blue" album is kind of a letdown. I didn't care much for her RCA period though on this Live album I do enjoy some of the songs that I wasn't all that familiar with from that time frame.

redlabs
11-23-2011, 11:03 AM
i think this was the FORCE BEHIND THE POWER tour and the cd came out in the mid 90's/i remember them spelling her name wrong which i thought was odd, to say the least. what i didnt like about the cd is the songs are out of line. they rearranged them and there are some odd moments as a result.

kenneth
11-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Redlabs - I think you're right. She does talk about "Force Behind the Power" as being her latest album and that song is on the CD.

motownlover1964
11-23-2011, 12:07 PM
I saw Diana in concert in August 1991. Before the show started they played some cuts from the "Force" CD. None of the songs were recognizable but shortly after the concert I was able to purchase it and remember hearing several of the cuts at the show. She and the band did a very funky performance of "You're Gonna Love It" that was incredible.

The only thing that really bothered me was a few songs into the show she stopped the performance and redid the sound check. It was very odd and took away the momentum, if only for the 15-20 minutes that it took to get her satisfied. I remember her saying to the sound check people "I'm not happy."

RossHolloway
11-23-2011, 01:08 PM
what's the song list for the cd?

motownlover1964
11-23-2011, 02:19 PM
1. Change Of Heart
2. When You Tell Me That You Love Me
3. Battlefield
4. Blame It On The Sun
5. Heavy Weather
6. The Force Behind The Power
7. Heart [[Don't Change My Mind)
8. Waiting In The Wings
9. One Shining Moment
10. You're Gonna Love It
11. If We Hold On Together

Reflections79
11-23-2011, 03:27 PM
I have this one as well. It contains the concert Diana gave in Australia at the Leeuwin Estate in 1992. The order of the songs of the cd has been completely mixed up since it is not the order she performed the songs in. It is a fun concert to watch and it is an outdoor venue. At the beginning of the concert it is still light and you can see people having a picknick.

motownlover1964
11-23-2011, 04:25 PM
When I saw her in '91 it was at a huge outdoor venue about 3 hours east of Seattle called The Gorge. Warm, sunny night. Light at the beginning as well. 12,000 people attended. Great show!

Bokiluis
11-24-2011, 11:00 AM
This is a bootleg of one of the "Here and Now" tour dates that promoted "The Force Behind the Power". The sequence is completely wrong from the live show but the tracks are listenable. Because it was one of my all-time favorite tours, I was happy to have an audio bootleg of the tracks from "The Force Behind the Power". Someone mentioned that she did a killer version of "You're Gonna Love It". I saw the opening night of this tour in Poughkeepsie, NY and it was unbelievable. She got standing ovations for songs the audience for the most part did not know. It began with "Blame it on the Sun" as the first song from the album. She walked into the audience and they loved her and the song. And then she did a most soulful version of "When You Tell Me That You Love Me", a hook laden "Waiting in the Wings", a Supreme "Battlefield" and a standing ovation for all including the closing new song, the title track. This tour ignited Gold and Platinum album sales across Europe, Japan and Australia.

redlabs
11-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Bokiluis, yeah i saw her here in the US for this tour and she was great.great reviews. i loved CHANGE OF HEART and WAITING IN THE WINGS, ONE SHINING MOMENT. a great album[the force]

kenneth
11-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Here's the track listing from the one I have which is subtitled "Upside Down/Chain Reaction Live World Tour". It was made in Australia for the Japanese market.

1. If We Hold On Together
2. Upside Down
3. Mahogany
4. When You Tell Me That You Love Me
5. Ain't No Mountain High Enough
6. Why Do Fools Fall in Love
7. How Do You Do It
8. The Man I Love
9. Supremes Medley: Baby Love/Stop in the Name of Love/You Keep Me Hangin' On
10. Chain Reaction
11. I Cried For You
12. The Force Behind the Power