PDA

View Full Version : Never leave your babys side

test

Calv1971
11-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Hello-although being a Motown fan for many years this is my first time posting a thread on Motown Forum.
"Never leave your babys side" by Martha and the Vandellas is my all time favourite song and was wondering if other Motown fans share my opinion that the versions that have appeared on CD are still not the exact wonderful version as what is on the b-side of vinyl copies of "My baby loves me", there just seems to me that CD versions are missing that something that to me make this song so FAB.
If this topic has been brought up on a previous occasion, then l apologise, as mentioned before l am new.

BayouMotownMan
11-18-2011, 07:50 PM
The actual released version on vinyl, which is dynamic, has never been issued on CD. Only a watered down mix that first appeared on the LIVE WIRE set has been issued digitally

midnight johnny
11-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Calv...actually, on the Complete Motown Singles Vol. 6, there is a version that is mixed differently from the Live Wire version, but still not instrumentally as complete as the 45 rpm mix. Strangely the tamborine is promenant and they brought the strings out. You might be able to hear a clip here....

http://www.kazaa.com/#!/Various-Artists/The-Complete-Motown-Singles,-Vol.-6:-1966

soulster
11-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Ah shoot! The vocals are too loud on TCMSC.

nabob
11-19-2011, 02:09 AM
"Never leave your babys side" by Martha and the Vandellas is my all time favourite song and was wondering if other Motown fans share my opinion that the versions that have appeared on CD are still not the exact wonderful version as what is on the b-side of vinyl copies of "My baby loves me", there just seems to me that CD versions are missing that something that to me make this song so FAB.Welcome to the Forum. Yeah Buddy! I loved this one too. Their 1965 and 1966 work with Ivy Hunter & Mickey Stevenson holds its own with the more popular H-D-H big hits.

The Live Wire version caught Cary Mansfield by surprise at the time of that release in 1993. Spectrum released a version in 1996 from its [I]Early Classics series that repeated the 1993 version. I'm still holding out for a stereo version mixed in the technical spirit of the Motown 60s stereo mixes. I'm also hoping that the Marvelette's Forever More will have a stereo version of No Time For Tears correctly mixed.

kenneth
11-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Welcome to the Forum. Yeah Buddy! I loved this one too. Their 1965 and 1966 work with Ivy Hunter & Mickey Stevenson holds its own with the more popular H-D-H big hits.

The Live Wire version caught Cary Mansfield by surprise at the time of that release in 1993. Spectrum released a version in 1996 from its [I]Early Classics series that repeated the 1993 version. I'm still holding out for a stereo version mixed in the technical spirit of the Motown 60s stereo mixes. I'm also hoping that the Marvelette's Forever More will have a stereo version of No Time For Tears correctly mixed.

The second Marvelettes set doesn't include that track, as it was on Volume 1. On Volume 1, was it the Mono single version? I would be surprised if that was stereo in that context. What about the first appearance of "No Time for Tears" on LP, on the Marvelettes Anthology? I am thinking that must have been stereo...was it?

144man
11-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Does anyone know if the US and the UK vinyl versions of "Never Leave Your Baby's Side" are identical to each other?

Motown Eddie
11-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Hello-although being a Motown fan for many years this is my first time posting a thread on Motown Forum.
"Never leave your babys side" by Martha and the Vandellas is my all time favourite song and was wondering if other Motown fans share my opinion that the versions that have appeared on CD are still not the exact wonderful version as what is on the b-side of vinyl copies of "My baby loves me", there just seems to me that CD versions are missing that something that to me make this song so FAB.
If this topic has been brought up on a previous occasion, then l apologise, as mentioned before l am new.

I agree with you; the versions of "Never Leave Your Baby's Side" that have been released on CD so far are different [[and inferior) mixes to the original version of the song as released on the B-side of "My Baby Loves Me". Unless Hip-O Select/Motown plans a re-release of the Martha & the Vandellas catalog, I don't think we'll see the original single mix of "Never Leave Your Baby's Side" on CD [[which is a shame since it is one of Martha & the Vandellas best songs).

snakepit
11-19-2011, 01:15 PM
TCMS box set notes say"

"...and this is the first CD appearance of the original single mix"

Strange....

Calv1971
11-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied to my 1st thread.
I have yet to own a UK copy of the 45, assuming its the same version as the US copy. Canadian and Dutch copies are the same as the US.
Tony Jackson [[formerly with The Searchers) recorded the song for CBS and it was an "A" side, someone then knew the possible potential of this song and this is a very good version.

huntergettingcaptured
11-20-2011, 10:03 PM
This whole mystery of why we've never received the 45 single mix of this song on CD has been like a thorn in my "paw" for a long time too! That song is one of those "Cannon Blast" tracks from Staunton and Walker. That team- Robert Staunton, Robert Walker, Robert Dobyne and Charles Jones kept coming up with some of the most intensive productions Motown ever released. The 45 version is so hard hitting with lots of great percussion. Somehow, the CD versions sound like we're getting just the left or right channel of a stereo mix. I hope the true mono mix will turn up one day.

Motown Eddie
11-24-2011, 01:50 PM
TCMS box set notes say"

"...and this is the first CD appearance of the original single mix"

Strange....

If that's true, that means that there was one mix of "Never Leave Your Baby's Side" on the market back in 66 because I've got the original single [[with "My Baby Loves Me" on the flip) and the mix of the song on the single is far better than the one offered on TCMS-1966.

soulster
11-24-2011, 03:59 PM
If that's true, that means that there was one mix of "Never Leave Your Baby's Side" on the market back in 66 because I've got the original single [[with "My Baby Loves Me" on the flip) and the mix of the song on the single is far better than the one offered on TCMS-1966.

No, this suggests that there were at least two mixes. That, or a tape box was mis-labeled. It's obvious there were more than one mix. And, remember, "My Baby Loves Me" was the hit single. "Never Leave Your Baby's Side" never charted.