PDA

View Full Version : The Most Important Person

test

JohnnyB
11-16-2011, 02:21 PM
With the upcoming release of Diana Ross 76 many fans are wondering what rarities have been found. I remember an article in late 1976 or early 1977 announcing the upcoming release of a new DR single, The Most Important Person. It was described as similar to Love Hangover and predicted to be her next big hit. The single was never released and I've never heard mention of the song again.

Does anyone remember hearing of this song? Was it recorded and released by another Motown artist? Maybe this will be included in the remastered Diana Ross.

BayouMotownMan
11-16-2011, 06:48 PM
The name of the song was You're The Most Important Person In Your Life. It was eventually done by the 5th Dimension on their debut Motown lp Star Dancing

JohnnyB
11-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Thank you!! I will try to find it.

jobeterob
11-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Wow. Very good Bayou.

redlabs
11-16-2011, 08:28 PM
never heard this song.will have to check it out.looking forward to my fav DR album reissue

BayouMotownMan
11-16-2011, 08:38 PM
Actually the Star Dancing lp by the 5th is a pretty good lp, and that particular track is the weakest on there. I think it was a McLeod/Sawyer collaboration. I'd have to go back and check. I never liked it.

Andy Skurow could tell us if Diana indeed laid a vocal on this. Once when I was talking to Vernessa Mitchell of High Inergy, she said she learned Love Is All You Need, You Can't Turn Me Off and Let Me Get Close To You from their first lp by listening to a tape of Ross singing these. I don't know if Andy ever found them or if they still exist. Ross began snubbing recordings she didn't like, Don't Leave Me This Way was one of them.

If memory serves me, there was a bootleg of You're The Most Important Person by Ross circulating, but I never heard it.

JohnnyB
11-16-2011, 09:44 PM
The members of this board never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of music and all things Motown. When I submitted this question I didn't think anyone would respond. Thank you for the Info!! Maybe some of the songs mentioned will be on the upcoming expanded Diana Ross.

BayouMotownMan
11-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Motown is my passion Johnny B. I have thousands upon thousands of vinyl, tape, CDs with unreleased stuff that has leaked out over the years.

Berry Gordy never ceased to amaze me as a businessman and pioneer. He was devoted to Diana Ross's career. When her 1976 lp came out, Diana Ross [[about to be re-issued), the first single chosen was I Thought It Took A Little Time. The 5th Dimension, reformed with Marjorie Barnes and Danny Beard in the place of Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis, were signed to ABC if memory serves me. Their producer heard Love Hangover from Diana's lp, which was getting heavy club and FM play and figured it would be perfect to re-launch the Dimension. They were rushed into the studio with Florence LaRue on lead and did a pretty darn good version of the song. It hit the streets quick and radio picked it up. It started climbing the charts and looked like it would be the record to re-establish this group.

Berry Gordy wouldn't have it. He ordered Hal Davis to edit the song down and rush it out. I have a tape of Diana giving an interview chastizing the 5th for "stealing" her song. She didn't call them by name but said they needed to get their own material. Of course Ross's version trumped theirs and became a mega hit for her.

In order to prevent this from happening again, what does Gordy do? Sign them to Motown. Put out two lps and singles, doesn't promote them and when they are dropped from the label two years later they are in the hit cellar and never recovered from Motown's failure to promote them. By the time they were dropped even more members came and went and they were considered a road oldies act, having not had a hit in 6 years.

Through all of this, the outstanding Took A Little Time sank quickly. It's truly a beautiful production and likely would have matched Theme From Mahogany as another No. 1 hit. The plan was to release Love Hangover as the third single to give Diana three No 1's in a row. The Fifth Dimension changed all that.

The man was ruthless in his promotion of Diana Ross.

JohnnyB
11-16-2011, 11:32 PM
I Thought It Took... is one of my all-time favorite DR songs, and my favorite from DR 76. I've always wondered where it would have charted if it had been given a chance. It was a perfect follow up for Do You Know and would have captured the same audience. Im surprised Motown didn't try to re-release it after One Love In My Lifetime.