PDA

View Full Version : All Quiet on the Ace/Kent Front?

test

psychedelic jacques
11-16-2011, 07:03 AM
It was almost a year ago that the Contours release was announced by Keith on this forum, speedily followed up by the Marv Johnson and Monitors releases. Heady days! Then I remember a consultation thread about the sorts of releases we were hoping for and their frequency, with the Patrice Holloway cd being announced days afterwards.

But since then, nothing more.

I'm fearing this project has come to an end, yet hoping that we'll be hearing of more soon, particularly much discussed potential releases from Eddie Holland and the Fantastic Four who have still not had a legit cd release of their Motown output.

Any news? Any hope?

longtimefan
11-16-2011, 07:59 AM
Plus, what has happened to REEL MUSIC? And SPECTRUM?

mr_postman
11-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Jacques, things are being worked on at Ace. I can't go into any details, because I don't know much more than you do. But you can rest assure that Ace and Kent will continue releasing Motown product during 2012.

Longtimefan, I've had the impression that things aren't coming along as expected over at Reel. Things that I don't know anything about seems to have come in the way. I've seen Paul Williams of Reel Music chiming in here and on other forums comforting us with replies like "We've had some problems, but we'll be back online soon" several times, but I don't see much happening. Let's see how it all turns out. Gee, I'd love to have the Blinky and Ivy Jo Hunter CD's he announced more than a year ago. Let's hope things will take a positive turn for everyone concerned.

I think Spectrum have been dead for many years. Haven't come across any release in a long time bearing that imprint. But I suspect you think of the Motown UK division with all those fantastic Motown anthologies, and the unsurpassable A Cellarful Of Motown! series. Let's just say the high suits at the Universal UK office aren't as enthusiastic about releasing Motown as you and I are. I haven't heard anything, and I don't expect I will either in the near future. I think the ACoM! CD's have sold rather well, so perhaps we can hope for another volume in the series within the next couple of years.

pj1
11-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Another forum has hinted that we are likely to see Eddie Holland as the next Motown artist to receive the Ace/Kent treatment sometime in 2012.

kenneth
11-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Another forum has hinted that we are likely to see Eddie Holland as the next Motown artist to receive the Ace/Kent treatment sometime in 2012.

Eddie Holland is long overdue for a legitimate release. An Ace/Kent compilation would be great. I still love my Marginal CD because it's still the only game in town when it comes to Holland, but his material deserves so much better!

keith_hughes
11-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Since an Ace staffer has already mentioned the Eddie Holland project in Another Place, I may as well at least confirm here that it's in preparation. But in interview the other day, Mr Holland mentioned a record he was on that we didn't have in our collection, which is subtitled "... the Complete Recordings ...". Well, we weren't about to change the title, and so ...

Hope to be giving details of this, and a couple of other Ace/Kent projects, on here soon, as soon as all the parts are assembled and cleared.

Keith

brother_love
11-16-2011, 01:42 PM
Just saw a full page add in the new issue of In The Basement for a new single by Chris Clark called Dream Or Cry b/w Sleepin'. It comes out Jan. 2012 and it will be issued by Reel Music.

kenneth
11-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Since an Ace staffer has already mentioned the Eddie Holland project in Another Place, I may as well at least confirm here that it's in preparation. But in interview the other day, Mr Holland mentioned a record he was on that we didn't have in our collection, which is subtitled "... the Complete Recordings ...". Well, we weren't about to change the title, and so ...

Hope to be giving details of this, and a couple of other Ace/Kent projects, on here soon, as soon as all the parts are assembled and cleared.

Keith

Fantastic news! Thanks!

Roger Polhill
11-16-2011, 04:15 PM
What wonderful news about the Ace/Kent upcomers what with the Marvelettes and Shorty Long the future is really bright. I am most impressed with "Cellarful Vol. 4" which I consider the best yet. It just goes to show the quality that was produced back then.

psychedelic jacques
11-16-2011, 06:15 PM
That's such good news, Keith. I've been waiting for an Eddie Holland set for a long time - and "complete" - epic! Thank You.

144man
11-18-2011, 07:00 PM
Is the Eddie Holland going to be a double CD? Surely with unreleased tracks there's too many to fit on a single.

144man
11-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Just saw a full page add in the new issue of In The Basement for a new single by Chris Clark called Dream Or Cry b/w Sleepin'. It comes out Jan. 2012 and it will be issued by Reel Music.

There's no mention of the Blinky or Ivy Hunter CDs, and the website in the advert hasn't been updated for months.

Incidentally, the Chris Clark single is on vinyl. I wonder where it originated.

RossHolloway
11-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Is the Eddie Holland going to be a double CD? Surely with unreleased tracks there's too many to fit on a single.

A short while ago there was a Eddie Holland collection on I-Tunes that had something like 34 songs on it. I think it was put up in error because shortly after I mentioned it here on this board it "disappeared".

keith_hughes
11-18-2011, 08:48 PM
The Marginal EH collection [[and derivatives) are still being advertised on Amazon. The "powers that be" are trying to do something about that.

Yes, 144man, I think there are too many tracks to fit on a single CD, too!

144man
11-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks, Keith. Looking forward to it. Hopefully the confusion about the Briant Holland single, which some have attributed to Eddie, will be cleared up

johnny_raven
11-19-2011, 12:06 PM
I thought Briant Holland was Brian, not Eddie ...

Jimi LaLumia
11-19-2011, 12:21 PM
maybe consumers are directing all available $$$$ at the fab Supremes/Marvelettes releases this year, Temptations too, plus the Sullivan DVDs, I know I am...there's only so much 'disposable income' to go around if you're one of the 99%!..lol

144man
11-19-2011, 12:45 PM
I thought Briant Holland was Brian, not Eddie ...

So did I ...but not everyone agrees.

mysterysinger
11-23-2011, 01:11 PM
So Shorty Long will be along shortly? Thats great because I've long felt that we've been short changed in the Shorty Long department. Thank heaven for CFoM.

Hotspurman
11-23-2011, 05:57 PM
As far as I know, Spectrum was an imprint of Universal that has been discontinued for some considerable time. I also thought it was more of a European label as opposed to a British one, but like several have commented, I've not seen anything coming on on the label for a good while now.

alanh
11-24-2011, 05:05 AM
The Spectrum label is still alive, although it hasn't been as active in recent years - and certainly the Motown/soul area - as it used to be. Releases in the last few months [[in the black music area) have included hits compilations on reggae acts Desmond Dekker and also the Ethiopians, plus a delve into Motown with 'Boyz II Men: The Collection'. In January there's a Shalamar hits compilation, plus 'Tears Of A Clown: The Collection' [[track list taken from Amazon).....

1. More Love - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
2. I Second That Emotion - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
3. If You Can Want - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
4. The Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
5. The Tracks Of My Tears - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
6. Oh Be My Love - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
7. Going To A Go-Go - The Miracles
8. Whole Lot Of Shakin' In My Heart [[Since I Met You) - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
9. It's Fantastic - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
10. If Your Mother Only Knew - The Miracles
11. Father Dear - The Miracles
12. Show Me You Can Dance - The Miracles
13. [[Come 'Round Here) I'm The One You Need - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
14. When The Words From Your Heart Get Caught Up In Your Throat - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
15. That's The Way I Feel - The Miracles
16. Shop Around - The Miracles
17. Save Me - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
18. You've Really Got A Hold On Me - The Miracles
19. Ain't It Baby - The Miracles
20. My Girl Has Gone - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

But I agree that we're certainly not getting the exciting releases and deeper material that we did in the past.

mr_postman
11-24-2011, 05:32 AM
My apologies, Alan. I usually don't buy rehashes and generic best-of's, so Spectrum must have fallen off my radar. Thanks for clearing that up. Anyway, as you say yourself, UK-divisions of Universal Motown doesn't seem interested in Motown releases other than the same-old, same-old.

Bingo
11-24-2011, 01:44 PM
in our most recent fairly regular musings concerning an official ric tic/ golden world collection, didn't one of the ace/kent boys [[ may have been ady ) let slip that this was something they were working on... ?