PDA

View Full Version : Somebody get Ms. Labelle into some Anger Management Classes!

test

blueskies
11-14-2011, 10:02 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/lawsuit-labelle-threw-water-tot-nyc-lobby-235912136.html

soulster
11-14-2011, 10:05 PM
Looks like Patti Labelle is a bi-polar bitch who need some serious counseling and meds.

jobeterob
11-14-2011, 10:16 PM
NEW YORK [[AP) — R&B diva Patti LaBelle hurled curses — and half a bottle of water — at a woman and her 18-month-old daughter after a dust-up over parenting in an apartment building lobby, according to a lawsuit filed Monday and the family's lawyer.

LaBelle's publicists and lawyer didn't immediately respond to Kevin and Roseanna Monk's lawsuit.

The couple live in a Manhattan building where the Grammy Award-winning singer stayed for a time while appearing in the Broadway musical "Fela!" last year, said the Monks' lawyer, Samuel L. Davis.

He said LaBelle chastised Roseanna Monk for letting the toddler take some steps away from the mother as she grappled with some luggage and a car seat in the building's lobby on the afternoon of Nov. 11, 2010. After Monk scooped up the child and told LaBelle it was none of her business, the singer threw water on them from a bottle she was carrying and then launched into an obscenity-filled tirade, he said.

When the child started wailing, Roseanna Monk made a remark to LaBelle, and the singer charged at her and tried to hit her, Davis said.

The Monks filed a complaint with police; no arrests were made.

The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages, comes five months after a U.S. Military Academy cadet sued LaBelle over a Houston airport scuffle with her bodyguards. He said they attacked him for no reason in March 2010. She countersued the cadet, saying he tried to get into her limousine and was drunk and using racial slurs, which he denied.

Davis said Roseanna Monk had asked LaBelle for an apology and a donation to a children's cancer charity but was rebuffed. The Monks feel "someone's got to teach her even a diva can't attack and frighten and assault regular people in the building," their lawyer said.

LaBelle's singing career has spanned more than four decades, two Grammys and several hits, including the 1974 disco smash "Lady Marmalade."

___

Follow Jennifer Peltz at http://twitter.com/jennpeltz

Roberta75
11-14-2011, 11:22 PM
NEW YORK [[AP) — R&B diva Patti LaBelle hurled curses — and half a bottle of water — at a woman and her 18-month-old daughter after a dust-up over parenting in an apartment building lobby, according to a lawsuit filed Monday and the family's lawyer.

LaBelle's publicists and lawyer didn't immediately respond to Kevin and Roseanna Monk's lawsuit.

The couple live in a Manhattan building where the Grammy Award-winning singer stayed for a time while appearing in the Broadway musical "Fela!" last year, said the Monks' lawyer, Samuel L. Davis.

He said LaBelle chastised Roseanna Monk for letting the toddler take some steps away from the mother as she grappled with some luggage and a car seat in the building's lobby on the afternoon of Nov. 11, 2010. After Monk scooped up the child and told LaBelle it was none of her business, the singer threw water on them from a bottle she was carrying and then launched into an obscenity-filled tirade, he said.

When the child started wailing, Roseanna Monk made a remark to LaBelle, and the singer charged at her and tried to hit her, Davis said.

The Monks filed a complaint with police; no arrests were made.

The lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages, comes five months after a U.S. Military Academy cadet sued LaBelle over a Houston airport scuffle with her bodyguards. He said they attacked him for no reason in March 2010. She countersued the cadet, saying he tried to get into her limousine and was drunk and using racial slurs, which he denied.

Davis said Roseanna Monk had asked LaBelle for an apology and a donation to a children's cancer charity but was rebuffed. The Monks feel "someone's got to teach her even a diva can't attack and frighten and assault regular people in the building," their lawyer said.

LaBelle's singing career has spanned more than four decades, two Grammys and several hits, including the 1974 disco smash "Lady Marmalade."

Follow Jennifer Peltz at http://twitter.com/jennpeltz

Patti Labelle needs to get some therapy before she really harms someone. What type of woman hurls water at a baby at tries to hit the mother in front of the child. Patti has major issues.

mark speck
11-14-2011, 11:39 PM
I suspect she is ill...maybe her diabetes may be at the root of all this?

Best,

Mark

jobeterob
11-15-2011, 12:05 AM
I think you could be right Mark.

MotownSteve
11-15-2011, 12:12 AM
I still don't think that excuses her behavior.

carlo
11-15-2011, 01:04 AM
This makes me real sad. What is going on?

I just saw Patti in concert a couple of weeks ago. She seemed like she wasn't 100% there. Something was not right. It was a great show, but she looked a little stressed and tired.

This is not cool. I tried to stand by her and tried to defend her after the news of first lawsuit hit...but now there's a second one. Obviously there's a repeating pattern here. I will always like her music, but I can no longer respect her as a person. She's hurting on the inside. I pray that she can get help and can make a change.

carlo
11-15-2011, 01:31 AM
Just goes to show that most of the artists I once loved and respected are monstrous divas on huge ego trips. Whitney won't do up her seat belt on an airplane, is rude to her fans and smoked away her voice. Dionne Warwick called someone a hussy and belittled a deaf woman on national television. Patti LaBelle throws tantrums, disrespects her fans and assaults people. What the heck?

Major success = Guaranteed insanity.

milven
11-15-2011, 01:42 AM
Maybe Patti just needs to get a New Attitude !

carlo
11-15-2011, 01:46 AM

lol! No kidding.

jillfoster
11-15-2011, 01:51 AM
Just goes to show that most of the artists I once loved and respected are monstrous divas on huge ego trips. Whitney won't do up her seat belt on an airplane, is rude to her fans and smoked away her voice. Dionne Warwick called someone a hussy and belittled a deaf woman on national television. Patti LaBelle throws tantrums, disrespects her fans and assaults people. What the heck?

Major success = Guaranteed insanity.

It's tough when your divas behave badly. It's really hard to listen to the beautiful music without thinking how nasty the person can be. But there are plenty who DO have great reputations, and one can enjoy COMPLETELY, the music and the person. Olivia Newton John, Julie Andrews, Dolly Parton, Marie Osmond, Carol Burnett, Telma and Joyce, etc...

carlo
11-15-2011, 01:59 AM
You're right, Jill. Fortunately there are other divas I love who have had very little or no bad press/negative stories: Tina Turner, Gladys Knight, Chaka Khan and Donna Summer. I know there was that story that came out years ago about Donna being homophobic, but I don't believe it's true. She denies it too.

jillfoster
11-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Oh, and let's not forget Natalie Cole.. tons of personal demons, but she's nice to people.

Roberta75
11-15-2011, 06:55 AM
I suspect she is ill...maybe her diabetes may be at the root of all this?

Best,

Mark

I'm sorry but that doesn't excuse throwing water on a child, using foul language and attempting to hit the child's mother while the child is in the mother's arms.

Patti Labelle needs anger management classes and she needs them now.

Roberta

dianesfan_1965
11-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Looks like Patti Labelle is a bi-polar bitch who need some serious counseling and meds.

Yes, she need a new attitude. SOMEONE had to say it!!!

BobC
11-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Unbelievable. Patti was once very nice but now...

You know a couple of years ago Patti stormed off a stage [[Florida maybe?) because some guy in the front row didn't appear to be enjoying her show to her satisfaction--and then she stormed back on, took her wig off, and threw it at the guy. Everybody was shocked.

soulster
11-15-2011, 11:05 AM

I have a knack for doing that. :)

milven
11-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Then I'm glad I did

But it sounds so out of character for her. On interviews on TV, she always seemed so down to earth. She may be suffering from some medical problem that we do not know about.

jillfoster
11-15-2011, 11:42 AM
Well.... Milven, from what I've heard from various sources, "Down home Patti" is pretty much an act, and real Patti is nothing like that.

skooldem1
11-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Patti has fooled a lot of people with her "real" down to earth persona. Its all fake. I have heard numerous stories about her acting this way. She has been acting this way for years and now its all starting to surface. I'm sure she will "blame" it on medication or some illness. I find it odd that people are looking for excuses. There is NO excuse for acting this way. NONE. Assaulting a mother and her child??? I won't excuse this, but at the same time, I will wait for more info before I condemn her.

BobC
11-15-2011, 11:48 AM
Patti, in the 80's, was very nice--in fact she cooked me dinner once. I'm not sure what is going on with her and I don't care either. It's one thing to have an occasional attitude or bad day, but attacking people is beyond the pale. I am done with her.

carlo
11-15-2011, 12:23 PM

You know a couple of years ago Patti stormed off a stage [[Florida maybe?) because some guy in the front row didn't appear to be enjoying her show to her satisfaction--and then she stormed back on, took her wig off, and threw it at the guy. Everybody was shocked.

I've been hearing a lot of similar stories from fans lately. I remember seeing that video on Youtube a few years ago where she invited one of her fans onstage to sing Lady Marmalade with her and she chewed him out and kicked him off the stage. She seemed to have some remorse afterwards, because she invited him back up, but she crossed the line...

BobC
11-15-2011, 12:46 PM
I remember that. He made some sort of remark that Patti construed, or misconstrued, what he said. To me, the guy seemed taken aback by Patti's temper, so I'm thinking she either misinterpreted what he said or he was just kidding and she took it seriously. Who knows. In the 90's a woman sued Patti after she was hit in the head by one of Patti's shoes--Patti said she was just doing her rolling-on-the-floor thing where she kicks off her shoes and the shoe just happened to hit the girl. Others at the show felt Patti did it on purpose [[I wasn't there nor have I seen a clip so I will leave this one open to debate).

Roberta75
11-15-2011, 01:13 PM
But it sounds so out of character for her. On interviews on TV, she always seemed so down to earth. She may be suffering from some medical problem that we do not know about.

It's called acting.

Roberta

midnightman
11-15-2011, 01:25 PM

Well I'll be blessed lol yeah Patti's got some problems.

BobC
11-15-2011, 02:50 PM
More details:
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/11/15/patti-labelle-sued-for-allegedly-causing-toddler-to-vomit-out-fear/?test=latestnews

Roberta75
11-15-2011, 03:24 PM
More details:
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/11/15/patti-labelle-sued-for-allegedly-causing-toddler-to-vomit-out-fear/?test=latestnews

What appalling language to use in front of a child and to lunge towards a woman holding a baby is despicable. Miss Labelle is no lady that's for sure.

Roberta

BobC
11-15-2011, 04:20 PM
you can say that again.

carlo
11-15-2011, 04:21 PM
It says, "The suit seeks unspecified damages, but the family’s lawyer, Sam Davis, said he took the case for free and that the family plans to donate any money it gets to a children’s cancer charity."

This makes it clear that this is not a case of someone making up a story just to get money. They want justice.

BobC
11-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I would imagine there's a security camera in the hallway that has it all on tape. The last incident is on tape.

marv2
11-15-2011, 05:18 PM
The Judge: "Ms. Monk, you claim that Ms. LaBelle assaulted you and your daughter with a few drops of water from a Poland Springs bottle, is that correct?"

Ms Monk: "Yes your Honor"

The Judge: " Would say it was more or less water used in a typical Christening?"

Ms. Monk: " About the same amount your honor"

The Judge:" Uh Huh", "What else did Ms. LaBelle do to you?"

Ms. Monk: "For 45 consecutive seconds, Ms. LaBelle cursed me out! Just because I told her to mind her own damned business........"

The Judge: " I see....." "Is that it? Is that all?"

Ms. Monk: "Oh and she made my daughter vomit and poop her pants by her actions..."

The Judge: "Ms. Monk, based on the facts as you explained them, I will award you $2.15 the average cost to wash and dry your daughters pants...nothing more. Now get the F*^K outta my courtroom with this nonsense!"

LOL!!!!

jillfoster
11-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Marv.... the suit said that Patti came at her. Now, the water thing is no big deal, other than it being incredibly childish. But if someone starts coming at you, that's a different story. I want to put Maxine Powell in the same room with down Home Patti, she will straighten little miss high and mighty OUT! Damn Skippy!

Rosie
11-15-2011, 06:35 PM
The Judge: "Ms. Monk, you claim that Ms. LaBelle assaulted you and your daughter with a few drops of water from a Poland Springs bottle, is that correct?"

Ms Monk: "Yes your Honor"

The Judge: " Would say it was more or less water used in a typical Christening?"

Ms. Monk: " About the same amount your honor"

The Judge:" Uh Huh", "What else did Ms. LaBelle do to you?"

Ms. Monk: "For 45 consecutive seconds, Ms. LaBelle cursed me out! Just because I told her to mind her own damned business........"

The Judge: " I see....." "Is that it? Is that all?"

Ms. Monk: "Oh and she made my daughter vomit and poop her pants by her actions..."

The Judge: "Ms. Monk, based on the facts as you explained them, I will award you $2.15 the average cost to wash and dry your daughters pants...nothing more. Now get the F*^K outta my courtroom with this nonsense!"

LOL!!!!

*Dead* this post made my day LMAO!

carlo
11-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Throwing water in someone's face is considered assault.

Like I said, this family is not trying to get money. That says it all.

Roberta75
11-15-2011, 08:41 PM

Like I said, this family is not trying to get money. That says it all.

It's not even the throwing of water. Patti Labelle lunged for a woman holding a baby and if her "handlers" hadn't of pulled her back she may have seriously hurt the woman and possibly the baby she was holding.

I have to agree with you Carlo regarding the money. It's very telling that the woman is going to donate all monetary damages to a Children's cancer charity.

Roberta

midnightman
11-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Didn't her attorney say he would've done this for free?

Roberta75
11-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Didn't her attorney say he would've done this for free?

You are correct midnightman. According to the news reports, the attorney is working pro bono.

"The suit seeks unspecified damages, but the family’s lawyer, Sam Davis, said he took the case for free and that the family plans to donate any money it gets to a children’s cancer charity"

Roberta

marv2
11-15-2011, 09:24 PM
You are correct midnightman. According to the news reports, the attorney is working pro bono.

"The suit seeks unspecified damages, but the family’s lawyer, Sam Davis, said he took the case for free and that the family plans to donate any money it gets to a children’s cancer charity"

Roberta

There will be no money, because there are no damages! This is merely another case of " hey guess what everybody, I had a run-in with a well known celebrity....!"

They are trying to create a case or some vehicle to get money out of this little nothing incident.

luke
11-15-2011, 09:38 PM
Money to go to charity. But let us remember we may not know all the facts yet. We havent heard Patti's side of it.

carlo
11-15-2011, 09:47 PM
If this was any other celebrity, I would give them the benefit of a doubt. But Patti has had a history of taking out her anger on others. Other fans have witnessed this.

This family who is suing Patti LaBelle has nothing to gain, so it makes their story that much more believable.

marv2
11-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Money to go to charity. But let us remember we may not know all the facts yet. We havent heard Patti's side of it.

Exactly! I bet Ms. Monk said more than she is admitting to during the exchange.

marv2
11-15-2011, 09:52 PM
If this was any other celebrity, I would give them the benefit of a doubt. But Patti has had a history of taking out her anger on others. Other fans have witnessed this.

This family who is suing Patti LaBelle has nothing to gain, so it makes their story that much more believable.

Carlo, how different would this story have been if Ms. Monk had responded...." Ms. LaBelle, do you mind holding my little girl for just a moment? I'd really appreciated it" vs "Why don't you mind your own damned business"? Had Ms. Monk taken the first approach, she made have made herself a new friend.........

carlo
11-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Marv, I have always been a diehard Patti fan. But this is where I draw the line. If this is how the story went down, then I cannot defend her. Her behaviour is unacceptable. If you're a famous person, you are that much more accountable for your actions. If I had done something like this in my workplace, I would have been arrested.

carlo
11-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Also...Patti could have simply responded to the note that was forwarded to her by the family and she could have apologized. It would have avoided this entire ordeal. One of the articles say:

"My clients will feel good about any outcome that holds [[Patti) responsible for her actions," he added. "Just because you have an entourage and bodyguards doesn't mean you can scream and throw water in people's faces."

jillfoster
11-15-2011, 10:51 PM

Really? I find that kind of bizarre. I wonder if farting in someone's face is assault as well?

marv2
11-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Really? I find that kind of bizarre. I wonder if farting in someone's face is assault as well?

What about someone with extremely bad breathe getting in your face?

luke
11-15-2011, 11:51 PM
Im still surprised that there is a rush to judgement when we have yet to hear Ms Labelle's side of things.

juicefree20
11-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Right out of the box I'm going to say that I like Patti. I've photographed her & been in a few intimate settings with her where she's been away from the cameras & one-on-one with her fans & have always seen her behave graciously. Now if someone were to come at her funny, Patti's not going to take that.

My only issue with this is the seeming leap to conclusions being drawn here.

What we have so far is one woman who's given her side of the story & nothing from Patti in response. Given the fact that there are cameras just about everywhere, including people's bathrooms [[without their knowledge nor consent), Id like to see if there's any additional info before jumping on Patti here.

Anyway, if Patti did what she has been accused of then obviously she was wrong & that's that. HOWEVER, I have MAJOR issues with the "Lawyerese", so to speak & to me, this bullshit only serves to make this appear to be somewhat trumped-up & it's directly related to the child & appears to be a ploy to appeal to the child-lover in all of us.

Because Patti threw water in this woman's face & screamed and/or lunged at her, some remarkable things happened. I can understand the child being a bit scared & I'll take a quantum leap & give them the vomiting thing because fear makes that a possibility. But where they lose much of their credibility with me can be found with their trauma" statement, which is so ridiculous to me, that it's just, well...ridiculous...

Now my grandson is exactly 18 months-old & I can't imagine the episode as described being so traumatizing to him that he would be reduced to suffering with...

A. "personality changes"
B. "sleep disorder"
C. "increased fear of strangers" [[increased fear as compared to what???)

One incident in which no one was slapped, kicked, punched, chased by a car, shot at, had a gun or knife drawn, nor My Little Elmo was stolen reduced an EIGHTEEN MONTH OLD to the brink of insomnia, nervous breakdown & the heartbreak of psoriasis?

Sorry, but I'm not buying that.

Had they simply left it at an attempted assault or an unnecessary over-reaction by Patti, that, I could buy. But in my opinion, the ONLY REASON why this child & her new-found personality errrr..."DISORDERS" is even being mentioned is for the purposes of the suit & citing damages tends to bring about a larger monetary settlement, either for their charity, or with Christmas & the holidays being so close, perhaps some may find it's way toward the purchase of anew My Little Pony, if only to ease the trauma of this incident that 99% of 18 month-old infants would've long since forgotten after the passage of 15 minutes or so. The majority of infants are very resilient that way & once their parents pick them up, give them a hug & a kiss, they're off, running to play somewhere.

I live around & am around a whole bunch of kids daily & sorry, but this part of the story just doesn't pass the sniff test. Even if Patti had done what she is accused of, some of this just sounds like some trumped-up b.s. to me. And if this incident of a year ago is so traumatic that it's totally rocked this infant's world, then her parents have got bigger things than water to worry about once their child gets out there with other kids in pre-school.

And as I read my paper & watch the news & see infants whom deal with true & horrific tragedies, this should be the worst thing that an 18 month-old has to endure. I know of a few 18 month-olds or their families whom would pray for something such as this as opposed to the truly traumatic things that they must deal with.

jillfoster
11-16-2011, 12:32 AM
Luke, it's really only the Past transgressions that is making us rush to judgement. Had this been virtually anyone else, people would have a more "wait and see" attitude. unless it was Whitney, and then we'd all think she was having a crack fit.

mark speck
11-16-2011, 12:47 AM
Bottom line...she needs to get help!

Best,

Mark

jobeterob
11-16-2011, 03:07 AM
Throwing water in someone's face is definitely an assault. Words together with actions can constitute a criminal assault. And it certainly can constitute a civil assault. As the article states, a complaint was made to the police. Generally, police won't act on these rather menial matters.....and they didn't; no arrests were made.

But Patti opened herself up here.......and she got sued as a result. This is the kind of tomfoolery Michael Jackson engaged in when sleeping with young children. Act in these fashions as a celebrity, and you are a huge target and you should expect consequences.

The public often thinks these people have a lot of money; and as most of us know, a few of them do have a lot of money. Many of them don't.

These people obviously saw Patti as a target and she was foolish enough to provide them with some ammunition; involving a child endeared her to even more people.

StuBass1
11-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Wow...This is like an edition of The National Enquirer...like the good old days LOL...Bottom line [[in only my own humble opinion) is that Patti LaBelle [[terrific singer), much like Naomi Campbell [[hot model who somehow came to mind) are a couple of arrogant, ego driven divas who if you massage their egos will love you to death, but if you fail to acknowledge their egos will try to tear your heart out...I'm just sayin...

carlo
11-16-2011, 11:04 AM
You would think that someone who is 67 years old would know better than to react in such a hostile way? The problem with many of these divas is that they think they're above everyone and everything, including the law, and that they can do what they want without consequences. It's almost a way of living for them. Not cool.

Supposedly when diabetics have low blood sugar, there is the tendency for them to have major mood swings/anger issues. This could have been the case, but it's still no excuse.

luke
11-16-2011, 11:50 AM
True thats why I think it's impt to slow down before finding Patti guilty, though I did read another article today that explained things more fully[[NY Daily News) and it does seem from that that Miss Patti really lost it and her entourage had to intervene and get her in car. It said she took a swing at the woman. It also said they didnt decide to file suit until they read about other lawsuit about her behavior at that airport and they wanted to validate this stuff unacceptable.

carlo
11-16-2011, 12:32 PM
While I still find her behaviour unacceptable, I doubt that these people are going to get any money out of Patti. Throwing water in someone's face is considered assault and if you're trying to charge towards someone, that's considered a threat and form of violence. In the eyes of the law, she could have gotten in trouble...BUT I doubt the lawsuit will be successful. The plaintiffs would have to prove that their child has some sort of emotional damage that is a direct result of this incident. They allege that their baby is having problems with strangers, loud noises and cannot sleep through the night due to this incident. As Juice already mentioned, the defense is going to say, "What baby does not have problems with strangers, loud noises and sleep?" End of case.

I took a law class in University and I am by no means an expert, but this is probably how it's gonna go down.

midnightman
11-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Throwing water in someone's face is definitely an assault. Words together with actions can constitute a criminal assault. And it certainly can constitute a civil assault. As the article states, a complaint was made to the police. Generally, police won't act on these rather menial matters.....and they didn't; no arrests were made.

But Patti opened herself up here.......and she got sued as a result. This is the kind of tomfoolery Michael Jackson engaged in when sleeping with young children. Act in these fashions as a celebrity, and you are a huge target and you should expect consequences.

The public often thinks these people have a lot of money; and as most of us know, a few of them do have a lot of money. Many of them don't.

These people obviously saw Patti as a target and she was foolish enough to provide them with some ammunition; involving a child endeared her to even more people.

I agree. It's real unfortunate. I can understand she may have been stressed out but yeah all this could've been avoided. Same with the incident with the cadet. I don't think it's really more of a rush to judgment than it really is that there's a pattern forming around Patti losing her cool. I think the suits she's got against her would be settled sooner or later though to avoid further scrutiny.

midnightman
11-16-2011, 01:04 PM
While I still find her behaviour unacceptable, I doubt that these people are going to get any money out of Patti. Throwing water in someone's face is considered assault and if you're trying to charge towards someone, that's considered a threat and form of violence. In the eyes of the law, she could have gotten in trouble...BUT I doubt the lawsuit will be successful. The plaintiffs would have to prove that their child has some sort of emotional damage that is a direct result of this incident. They allege that their baby is having problems with strangers, loud noises and cannot sleep through the night due to this incident. As Juice already mentioned, the defense is going to say, "What baby does not have problems with strangers, loud noises and sleep?" End of case.

I took a law class in University and I am by no means an expert, but this is probably how it's gonna go down.

That's why I just said that this suit will be settled. Maybe both suits would be settled but the cadet one is hanging in the balance but this one I could see a quick settlement.

BobC
11-16-2011, 01:40 PM
What proof do you have that either of these two victims "obviously saw Patti as a target?"

carlo
11-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Here is a message posted on Patti's Official Facebook page:

Thank you all for the love and support! Unfortunately at this time Ms. LaBelle has been advised not to comment. Please see statement released from Ms. LaBelle’s close friend and lawyer, Allen Arrow. “Patti LaBelle has been a client and a dear friend for more than 40 years. Above all else I can say with complete certainty that she is a loving mother and a caring human being who adores children. This incident, which occurred over a year ago, began because Patti was concerned about the safety of a very young child who was left unattended. It is being handled through the courts and we are confident that once the facts are revealed, the outcome will be in Patti’s favor. Unfortunately, this is another case of individuals and their attorney targeting someone who is in the public eye. Their claim for purported damages and personal injury is frivolous on its face.”

Roberta75
11-16-2011, 02:36 PM

Thank you all for the love and support! Unfortunately at this time Ms. LaBelle has been advised not to comment. Please see statement released from Ms. LaBelle’s close friend and lawyer, Allen Arrow. “Patti LaBelle has been a client and a dear friend for more than 40 years. Above all else I can say with complete certainty that she is a loving mother and a caring human being who adores children. This incident, which occurred over a year ago, began because Patti was concerned about the safety of a very young child who was left unattended. It is being handled through the courts and we are confident that once the facts are revealed, the outcome will be in Patti’s favor. Unfortunately, this is another case of individuals and their attorney targeting someone who is in the public eye. Their claim for purported damages and personal injury is frivolous on its face.”

Typical lawyer speak. He all but called her Mother Teresa. LOL

Roberta

skooldem1
11-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Its safe to say that whoever these people were, they LIVED in the same building as Patti did. So I doubt they need her money and saw her as a target. In fact, they may have more money than her. LoL.

marv2
11-16-2011, 03:15 PM

This is exactly what I said earlier. Thank you Carlo.

skooldem1
11-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Calling a mother a f*cking C*nt in front of her child is really showing love for the kids.

jillfoster
11-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Well, Julie Chen and the talking heads on The Talk were discussing this just now, and damn near all of them know Patti personally and are trying to cover her butt. Stupid Perez Hilton makes a comment that it's a lawsuit to try and get money... not ONE of them mentioned the fact that the lawyer is doing it for free, and the mother has emphatically stated that any money will be donated to charity. that, my friends, is what you call SPIN.

marv2
11-16-2011, 04:27 PM
Calling a mother a f*cking C*nt in front of her child is really showing love for the kids.

Well, what did the woman call Patti?

jillfoster
11-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Well, what did the woman call Patti?

I think he was making the point that Patti should not use such language in front a child.

marv2
11-16-2011, 04:59 PM
I think he was making the point that Patti should not use such language in front a child.

Yes and I agree. I am just curious to know if the woman also used profanity. I mean it did occur in New York City yes? It is highly probable that Ms. Monk could have also used profanity.

jillfoster
11-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Well. Marv, you know how those New Yorkers are! LOL

marv2
11-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Well. Marv, you know how those New Yorkers are! LOL

You are Gosh Darn right I know how US New Yorkers are, that is why I find it hard to believe that Ms. Monk only said "damned business"! LOL!

marv2
11-16-2011, 06:24 PM
Well, Julie Chen and the talking heads on The Talk were discussing this just now, and damn near all of them know Patti personally and are trying to cover her butt. Stupid Perez Hilton makes a comment that it's a lawsuit to try and get money... not ONE of them mentioned the fact that the lawyer is doing it for free, and the mother has emphatically stated that any money will be donated to charity. that, my friends, is what you call SPIN.

Oh sure the lawyer is taking the case for free [[It's Patti LaBelle after all LOL!) ,but I can promise you that if there is any kind of monetary settlement, he will ask and get his customary 33% from it. That is how it is done here.

soulster
11-16-2011, 06:36 PM
The use of colorful language is not the issue. It's the throwing water on someone that's the issue. That's assault.

Roberta75
11-16-2011, 07:00 PM
The use of colorful language is not the issue. It's the throwing water on someone that's the issue. That's assault.

Throwing water can be considered an assault. [[see below) Even worse is lunging at another person to punch or hit them regardless of whether you were restrained in time or not.

A battery is any physical contact with another person, to which that other person has not consented.

An assault is basically an attempt at a battery.

Throwing water on someone can be considered an assault and battery in both criminal and civil cases. In either case a person has to prove they were assaulted.

Many times cases of assault turn on whether the threatened harm was "imminent," meaning how soon was the threatened thing supposed to happen. In a confrontation, this is the difference between someone about to hit you now versus someone who says they will hit you tomorrow.

The fear of an assault must also be "reasonable." This means that if you were threatened with a water gun and you knew it was a water gun it is probably not "reasonable" for you to fear it.

Secondly, the person has to prove there was battery. The battery must have also been "intentional." This means that the person meant to throw something [[like water) or meant to swing their arm.

Remember that legally the harm does not have to be intended for the victim. Merely doing an intentional act is enough to commit a battery. It could be intended for a particular person or the person victimized could be totally random.

A criminal assault and battery is when a person is prosecuted by the district attorney's office for committing an assault and battery against a victim. If you are facing criminal charges, you are in criminal court and need a criminal defense lawyer.

A civil assault and battery involves the victim suing the person who committed the assault and battery against them to recover damages for their injuries. If you want to sue someone for your assault and battery injuries, or are being sued by the victim for money, you are in civil court and need an experienced personal injury lawyer.

Source[[s):
Legal Match Law Library

Roberta75
11-16-2011, 07:07 PM
"An assault can be committed without a battery and battery can occur without an assault preceding it. For example, swinging at someone and missing is an assault but not a battery. Striking someone from behind, without his or her knowledge, is a battery but not an assault. Conduct which intentionally arouses apprehension of an imminent battery constitites an assault. Shaking a fist at another person, lunging at someone in an effort to attack and swinging an axe at another person are actionable assaults."

Source[[s):
Legal Match Law Library

marv2
11-16-2011, 07:11 PM
*Dead* this post made my day LMAO!

I'm just saying.......hehehehehehehehe!

jobeterob
11-16-2011, 07:45 PM
It is trite law to a lawyer that words and actions without any contact constitute an assault. Yelling, throwing water and gesticulating, wildly or otherwise, are an assault.

Patti will likely buy this off too........but not for much money.

She just needs to get back in control of herself so this doesn't happen.

BobC
11-16-2011, 07:47 PM
I am not saying anybody's lying because I wasn't there. It is certainly true that wealthy people are often targeted because they have money, but it is also true that often wealthy people act like idiots. I do, however, have a problem with people stating as fact that this Monk woman is lying and out to get money. Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. But let me ask you all this--if I had come on this forum a year ago and said Patti sicced her entourage on an unsuspecting cadet, beat him bloody, and then Patti posed for photographers right next to the boys blood--would you have called me a liar? YES. Nobody would have believed it. Thank God for videotape.

marv2
11-16-2011, 08:27 PM
It is trite law to a lawyer that words and actions without any contact constitute an assault. Yelling, throwing water and gesticulating, wildly or otherwise, are an assault.

Patti will likely buy this off too........but not for much money.

She just needs to get back in control of herself so this doesn't happen.

If that be the case, then close to 65% of New Yorkers are assaulting each other weekly here! LOL!!!!

marv2
11-16-2011, 08:29 PM
I am not saying anybody's lying because I wasn't there. It is certainly true that wealthy people are often targeted because they have money, but it is also true that often wealthy people act like idiots. I do, however, have a problem with people stating as fact that this Monk woman is lying and out to get money. Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. But let me ask you all this--if I had come on this forum a year ago and said Patti sicced her entourage on an unsuspecting cadet, beat him bloody, and then Patti posed for photographers right next to the boys blood--would you have called me a liar? YES. Nobody would have believed it. Thank God for videotape.

No, my first question would have been: "well what did that cadet do to make Patti and them upset?"

loveblind
11-16-2011, 08:51 PM

Too funny...Sadly the truth!

smark21
11-16-2011, 09:37 PM
The best case scenario for Patti would be that this was an unfortunate confrontation between a tempermental diva and a woman with a litigious streak and a victim complex. Lord knows, NYC has plenty of tempermental divas and people who like to play victim and file law suits.

luke
11-16-2011, 09:37 PM
And again, they didnt file suit until they read about the suit and felt this kind of behavior needed to stop. That does say something about their intent.

BobC
11-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Marv you aren't suggesting that beating someone bloody because they upset you is okay, are you?

marv2
11-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Marv you aren't suggesting that beating someone bloody because they upset you is okay, are you?

Where did I suggest that?

BobC
11-17-2011, 11:24 AM
No, my first question would have been: "well what did that cadet do to make Patti and them upset?"

I'm not saying you were suggesting that--I was just asking based on the above comment.

marv2
11-17-2011, 11:41 AM

I'm not saying you were suggesting that--I was just asking based on the above comment.

Well then let me clarify. I would expect that if a situation like what you described occurred that there would have to have been some provocation involved. Meaning that the provocation could have been in the form of some type of physical contact or provocative verbal exchange. To sit here and pretend that fights or physical altercations never occur when there is a verbal exchange would be disingenuous. I have been around some of roughest people and the roughest areas in this country in my time and have seen all sorts of confrontations, fights and general human mayhem, hehehehehe.... so it would not surprise me that a beat down erupted from an arguement. Is it right? no! Does it happen? Definitely! Do I condone it as being okay? Of course not, BUT, I have seen it happen from Five Points in Denver to the Red Light District of Boston, from the East Side of Detroit to Bed-Sty in Brooklyn and all other points in between LOL! [[special shout out to Camden, NJ!). That is what I meant. My first question would not be "when did the cadet hit Patti LaBelle or members of her entourage....". My first question would be "what happened? What did the cadet DO [[to provoke such a response)".

blueskies
11-17-2011, 12:34 PM
I think Patti is having some mental health/physical issues. I hope she gets some help and things in control. A 67 year old woman spewing that kind of language out of her mouth for the general public isn't too classy. I've been a fan since the "junk man" days and have been very disappointed in her behavior of late. Enough has happened that I don't think this is an isolated incident. I'm a fan and wish her well.....but, Patti, take some responsibility for your behavior. Yea, there are people out there that are going to push your buttons....just be classy and walk away.

skooldem1
11-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Well then let me clarify. I would expect that if a situation like what you described occurred that there would have to have been some provocation involved. Meaning that the provocation could have been in the form of some type of physical contact or provocative verbal exchange. To sit here and pretend that fights or physical altercations never occur when there is a verbal exchange would be disingenuous. I have been around some of roughest people and the roughest areas in this country in my time and have seen all sorts of confrontations, fights and general human mayhem, hehehehehe.... so it would not surprise me that a beat down erupted from an arguement. Is it right? no! Does it happen? Definitely! Do I condone it as being okay? Of course not, BUT, I have seen it happen from Five Points in Denver to the Red Light District of Boston, from the East Side of Detroit to Bed-Sty in Brooklyn and all other points in between LOL! [[special shout out to Camden, NJ!). That is what I meant. My first question would not be "when did the cadet hit Patti LaBelle or members of her entourage....". My first question would be "what happened? What did the cadet DO [[to provoke such a response)".

What kind of logic is that? That's like saying Pedro must have had a reason to knock Mary Wilson upside her head? As long as there is a "reason", its ok?

Roberta75
11-17-2011, 01:17 PM
From the Houston Chronicle. The comments are not very kind. Ouch!!!

http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2011/11/new-yorkers-sue-patti-labelle-over-fracas-with-tot/

BobC
11-17-2011, 02:19 PM
oh...my...GOD. I am in shock that Patti alleging that crap about the cadet. I agree with the posters--I think Patti is certifiably crazy and needs to be put away.

marv2
11-17-2011, 02:23 PM
I think Patti is having some mental health/physical issues. I hope she gets some help and things in control. A 67 year old woman spewing that kind of language out of her mouth for the general public isn't too classy. I've been a fan since the "junk man" days and have been very disappointed in her behavior of late. Enough has happened that I don't think this is an isolated incident. I'm a fan and wish her well.....but, Patti, take some responsibility for your behavior. Yea, there are people out there that are going to push your buttons....just be classy and walk away.

I also tend to think she may be experiencing some health issues. She is the last surviving member of her immediate family and her health has always been a delicate situation.

marv2
11-17-2011, 02:26 PM
What kind of logic is that? That's like saying Pedro must have had a reason to knock Mary Wilson upside her head? As long as there is a "reason", its ok?

It's not suppose to be logical . It is what has been going in the REAL WORLD since before either of us were born. Do you think folks go around with rule book in their pockets? You think everyone considers the law and the consequences if you break it before they act? Nah..........! If that were true you wouldn't have so many folks incarcerated today.

Mary and Pedro? LOL!!!!

marv2
11-17-2011, 02:27 PM
oh...my...GOD. I am in shock that Patti alleging that crap about the cadet. I agree with the posters--I think Patti is certifiably crazy and needs to be put away.

Well did my clarification help you understand what I was saying originally or not? It takes time to type a response to you BobC.

skooldem1
11-17-2011, 02:32 PM
It's not suppose to be logical . It is what has been going in the REAL WORLD since before either of us were born. Do you think folks go around with rule book in their pockets? You think everyone considers the law and the consequences if you break it before they act? Nah..........! If that were true you wouldn't have so many folks incarcerated today.

Mary and Pedro? LOL!!!!

Spousal abuse is funny to you?

marv2
11-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Spousal abuse is funny to you?

No abuse is funny to me. Torture isn't funny to me either along with a long list of things. I laughed at your reference to Mary [[wilson) and Pedro [[Ferrer) because they have nothing whatsoever to do with this discussion and also for the fact that they divorced over 30 years ago!

What I am trying to get you to understand is that out in the World you can receive bodily harm just by using the wrong words with the wrong person[[s) and it does not matter if it is wrong or right, whether you condone it or not at any particular moment. My advice is to defend yourself if you can or get out of harm's way to the best of your ability, then sort out the legal issue later!

jobeterob
11-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Something isn't right for Patti Labelle; there's too much of this going on; she is either in personal grief or she is not understanding she should not be opening herself up to this kind of trouble; she needs to start understanding "no comment" "I hear nothing" "I see nothing" "I'm not involved" "This is not my issue" "This is not my fight".

New Yorkers sue Patti LaBelle over fracas with tot

Scene from surveillance video of incident at Bush in March 2011. [[Bush Intercontinental Airport / HPD)

Patti LaBelle [[Michael Perez)
Singer Patti LaBelle was accused Monday of screaming obscenities at a toddler and throwing a punch at the child’s mother outside a Manhattan apartment house, according to the New York Daily News.

Lawyer Sam Davis, representing Kevin and Roseanna Monk, said the Monks’ daughter Genevieve was scampering around the lobby of an apartment building in which LaBelle was a temporary resident, when the star “yelled” at Roseanna Monk about “letting your kid run around like that.”

He said LaBelle … then started “screaming at my client, throwing water from a bottle at the mother’s face and the baby’s face.”

… [[Then) LaBelle, “tries to take a swing” at his client, he said.

LaBelle’s entourage then shoved her into a black car and the baby violently threw up all over her mother, Davis said.

One of LaBelle’s representatives declined to comment, while two others did not return calls.

Davis told the Daily News that the Monks decided to sue when they read about an incident in Houston in which LaBelle’s entourage were accused of assaulting a West Point cadet.

The cadet, Richard King, 23, is suing LaBelle, her assistants, a taxi dispatcher and the Bush Intercontinental Airport, saying he suffered a concussion in the March 11 incident, which he contended was unprovoked.

LaBelle is countersuing King, claiming the Houston man started the fight by punching her son in the face, using racially and sexually offensive language, and trying to force his way into her car.

skooldem1
11-17-2011, 02:59 PM
No abuse is funny to me. Torture isn't funny to me either along with a long list of things. I laughed at your reference to Mary [[wilson) and Pedro [[Ferrer) because they have nothing whatsoever to do with this discussion and also for the fact that they divorced over 30 years ago!

What I am trying to get you to understand is that out in the World you can receive bodily harm just by using the wrong words with the wrong person[[s) and it does not matter if it is wrong or right, whether you condone it or not at any particular moment. My advice is to defend yourself if you can or get out of harm's way to the best of your ability, then sort out the legal issue later!

You can't get me to understand anything when it comes to bullies, or people that abuse others. Regarding Mary and Pedro, I purposely mentioned their physical altercations- and it doesn't matter if it were yesterday or 30 years ago. You have developed a pattern of almost siding with the aggressive/abusive party in altercations, almost blaming victims. I was looking for an answer from you to gauge whether or not this is truly your mindset, or if its only reserved for people you like.

jobeterob
11-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Bingo...............

marv2
11-17-2011, 03:25 PM
You can't get me to understand anything when it comes to bullies, or people that abuse others. Regarding Mary and Pedro, I purposely mentioned their physical altercations- and it doesn't matter if it were yesterday or 30 years ago. You have developed a pattern of almost siding with the aggressive/abusive party in altercations, almost blaming victims. I was looking for an answer from you to gauge whether or not this is truly your mindset, or if its only reserved for people you like.

Aiight! Go on out there and get your ass kicked. I've tried to offer you understanding and friendly advice. I've done my Civic duty for today. It is now all on you as you make your way out in the real World!

Oh and for the record, I am not siding with anyone. Just the facts man, just the facts!

skooldem1
11-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Man, really? all that double talk and not really answering the question? Not working with me. When you read that Pedro punched Mary in her face, did you want to take the time to find out what MARY did to make him so mad and lose his cool? Did you want to find out what Mary did to provoke this abuse? When you heard that there was some sort of altercation between Diana and Mary at M25 did you ever wonder what in the world could have made diana lose her cool on stage and "touch" Mary? What is your moral compass?

jobeterob
11-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Double jackpot!

But as Andy said, don't ask questions that you are unlikely to like the answer to............like who sang on You Can't Hurry Love, when Diana really left the Supremes and moral compasses.

Roberta75
11-17-2011, 04:05 PM

Bam. Well said.

BobC
11-17-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm 6'2", 220 lbs and can bench 300 lbs--I could easily beat the crap out of most guys. BUT, because I despise bullies, I couldn't fathom just attacking someone, especially someone smaller than I am, no matter what they said. I understand the real world fine, Marv, and I also know right from wrong. I will happily help stop an attack--but what Patti's henchmen did was beyond any explanation. End of story.

The videotape i saw of the cadet had him standing and talking on a cell phone. Is there a tape I missed that shows the cadet beating up Patti's son and then trying to force his way into Patti's car? If so I'd love to see it. Until then, I will consider Patti a bald faced liar and will never spend a dime on her again.

marv2
11-17-2011, 05:17 PM
I'm 6'2", 220 lbs and can bench 300 lbs--I could easily beat the crap out of most guys. BUT, because I despise bullies, I couldn't fathom just attacking someone, especially someone smaller than I am, no matter what they said. I understand the real world fine, Marv, and I also know right from wrong. I will happily help stop an attack--but what Patti's henchmen did was beyond any explanation. End of story.

The videotape i saw of the cadet had him standing and talking on a cell phone. Is there a tape I missed that shows the cadet beating up Patti's son and then trying to force his way into Patti's car? If so I'd love to see it. Until then, I will consider Patti a bald faced liar and will never spend a dime on her again.

You know I said the same thing when I first saw the video tape of those 6 or 7 cops beating the shit outta Rodney King back in '92 out in LA. When the then Police Chief Darrell Gates held a press conference to say that we should not rush to judgement and that what we saw in the video did not tell the full story of how Rodney King provoked and attack all those officers! LOL! I have to laugh because he, the Police Chief believed that we would buy his explanation.

Anyway, I digress. I am happy to know that you understand that people get beat up all the time over words even if you would never do something like that. Wars have been started between nations over words initially. I and most of the kids I came up with grew up not being afraid of anyone. You just couldn't intimidate them no matter what, so we never had a central bully to deal with for long if you understand what I am saying. Like you, I would stop kids from fighting, but some of these kids out here today will kill you. They are bad! So you have to make sure you are not getting involved in something that will lead to personal tragedy. Oh back to the subject. Whatever Patti Labelle has to deal with, she is going to have to deal with. I am sure she will be fine. I think a lot of this amazement over her recent public situations stems from not really knowing who Patti LaBelle is and where she came from. The bottomline is,she and company are too old for this kinda stuff.

skooldem1
11-17-2011, 05:20 PM
The bottomline is,she and company are too old for this kinda stuff.

Marv- this we can agree on.

soulster
11-17-2011, 06:49 PM
You can't get me to understand anything when it comes to bullies, or people that abuse others.

Amen! I have no use for bullies.

thaperson
11-17-2011, 07:02 PM
Did it say Patti has five kids? WTF?

I thought she had the one and adopted the two neighbors.

jobeterob
11-17-2011, 07:04 PM
Has five children; two of whom are adopted and the orphaned children of one of her sisters and her biological son.

jobeterob
11-17-2011, 07:05 PM
Lost all three of her sisters to some form of cancer

Suffers from diabetes

Was once engaged to Otis Williams of the long-time R&B singing group, The Temptations.

Godmother of Cyndi Lauper's son, Declyn [[B. Nov 19 1997)

stephanie
11-17-2011, 07:26 PM
You know I have always suspected that Patti has some form of anger in her because I read her book and when she said that Nona got sick of the direction Labelle was taking I didnt believe her. Nona was a major songwriter on a lot of their material and I heard Cindy Birdsong say in an interview that Patti wanted to do more showtunes. Sarah and Nona have always been agreeable I think Patti has major diva problems. I certainly hope she gets help.

luke
11-17-2011, 08:25 PM
It always surprises me when people say Labelle broke up per different musical directions. The immediate reason LaBelle broke up was because at a concert Nona left the stage, locked herself in dressing room and banged her head repeatedly on a wall. Then she went and got help. This was documented a number of years ago.

blueskies
11-17-2011, 10:58 PM
at a concert Nona left the stage, locked herself in dressing room and banged her head repeatedly on a wall.

Yikes! I never heard this. Did the article state what the issues were to cause this? Frustration in the group? Personal issues? Glad to hear she went and got help.

luke
11-17-2011, 11:03 PM
I think their last concert where this happened was in Maryland-at a college. I think it may also be in Patti's book-I will check. Though I remember she said things happened then that she still wont talk about to this day. I think there was stress about their musical directions and there were some other personal issues. But they had no immediate plans to break up.

jobeterob
11-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Maybe Patti Labelle just needs some independant management, no family, no kids, god forbid, no husbands; every R & B diva has tried a husband and none have been successful.

She needs to be quiet, close the mouth totally and have a time out; and she needs a manager to enforce it.

Roberta75
11-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Maybe Patti Labelle just needs some independant management, no family, no kids, god forbid, no husbands; every R & B diva has tried a husband and none have been successful.

She needs to be quiet, close the mouth totally and have a time out; and she needs a manager to enforce it.

IMHO Miss Patti needs medication and major anger management counseling.

marv2
11-18-2011, 03:18 AM
IMHO Miss Patti needs medication and major anger management counseling.

Roberta being such a good and devout Christian woman that you are, I was expecting you to say that Patti needs prayer and that you would be praying for her. I guess you never really know a person.

Marv

midnightman
11-18-2011, 06:18 PM
You know I have always suspected that Patti has some form of anger in her because I read her book and when she said that Nona got sick of the direction Labelle was taking I didnt believe her. Nona was a major songwriter on a lot of their material and I heard Cindy Birdsong say in an interview that Patti wanted to do more showtunes. Sarah and Nona have always been agreeable I think Patti has major diva problems. I certainly hope she gets help.

I read that and it's often been repeated in interviews she gave that she wanted to go back to ballads and showtunes, the stuff they did during the chitlin circuit while Nona wanted to continue in the funkier direction they were going in. The group Labelle was really Nona and Sarah's baby with Patti leading it. Patti just agreed to it to get along but when she wanted to change things, that's when their partnership cracked. I think had they stayed together, Labelle would've continued to funk it out and evolve. But I guess there was always a crack beneath the surfaces in their friendship. Fame can change a person.

midnightman
11-18-2011, 06:20 PM
at a concert Nona left the stage, locked herself in dressing room and banged her head repeatedly on a wall.

Yikes! I never heard this. Did the article state what the issues were to cause this? Frustration in the group? Personal issues? Glad to hear she went and got help.

It hasn't been clear what really caused them to abruptly depart. Patti and Nona may have had a fight before the show or something. I remember reading about a band member or two getting into it before a show but they weren't clear on who it was or who they were.

Laurel
11-19-2011, 09:44 PM
This is just terrible, there's no excuse for anyone to do that to a child. If you have a beef with another adult, then settle it when the child is not around.

dianesfan_1965
11-19-2011, 09:53 PM
This is just terrible, there's no excuse for anyone to do that to a child. If you have a beef with another adult, then settle it when the child is not around.

Well Laurel, SOME people think it's a big fucking joke. But then again those people that think this is funny are fucking assholes.

jobeterob
11-20-2011, 03:28 AM
No misunderstanding that viewpoint ~ seems prevalent.

BobC
11-20-2011, 08:38 AM
Labelle broke up for a number of reasons. Patti was never comfortable with what she called "the rock and roll lifestyle"--which included a lot of drugs in and around the group, which she had been protected from in earlier days. Patti did want to do more ballads and show tunes, but Sarah and Nona didn't even want to do "Isn't It a Shame" and that was, for Patti, the last straw. Patti felt she was the leader and focal point of the group, but Vicki and Nona were really running things, so that caused a lot of friction. Then there is the fact that they hit their commercial high point in 1975, and their records past that point didn't sell as well--and Patti felt Nona's songs were not commercial enough, since most of them were psychedelic funk which was fine for groups like PFunk but not for women. I love Nona's music but at the time, disco or dance music was getting more vapid and silly, whereas Nona's music was more cerebral. Then, towards the end, rumors started circulating that all three women were lesbians, involved with each other, and that bugged the crap out of Patti. Suddenly everything Nona wrote was supposedly about homosexuality in some peoples' minds--something that Nona strongly denied. Her song "Going Down Makes
Me Shiver" was about baptism and spirituality, but fans insisted it was about oral sex [[to be fair, Nona obviously loved double entendre--but it is interesting that earlier soul songs like "I'm Going Down" never got that rep).Last but not least, Labelle had been together 17 years, and that's a loooong time. They were just burnt out. Yes Nona and Patti got in a huge fight that night before their last gig in Cincinnati [[I think) and yes Nona had some sort of breakdown, but those were just symptoms of the previously stated problems. I would imagine it also bugged Patti that Nona, the groups main song-writer, made a lot more money from Labelle than Patti did. If Patti went solo, she kept all the money. So there ya have it.

jobeterob
11-20-2011, 01:29 PM
If you go to the site, there are some pictures.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2061879/Patti-LaBelle-screamed-toddler-threw-water-childs-face--swung-punch-pregnant-mother.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Patti LaBelle, known for smooth R&B hits, lost her cool when she screamed at a toddler, threw water in her face then tried to punch the baby's pregnant mother during a profanity-laden rampage, alleges a lawsuit.
Roseanna Monk says the 67-year-old soul-singing legend terrified her 18-month-old daughter Genevieve so badly that she started vomiting violently. The child hasn't been the same since and suffers from personality changes, sleeping disorders and 'increased fear of strangers,' Ms. Monk and her husband Kevin claim.

The Monks have filed a lawsuit against Ms LaBelle for an incident they say took place in the lobby of their Upper West-side apartment building last fall.
Diva: Two New Yorkers claim legendary singer Patti LaBelle traumatized their 18-month-old daughter with profanities and screaming

Terrorized: Roseanne Monk says her daughter Genevieve was terrorized by the legendary singer and has had sleeping problems ever since
Ms Monk said she put down her daughter to carry luggage out of the building. When Ms LaBelle walked in and saw the child running around the lobby, she went ballistic, according to the suit.

'What are you doing letting your kid run around like that?' LaBelle asked Ms Monk, a kindergarten teacher who was pregnant at the time.

More...'My court, my decision': Judge publicly 'humiliates' woman for breastfeeding son in courtroom
Churchill would have been proud! Moment battling Bletchley Park baroness, 89, gave two-finger salute to fellow peer who said WW2 veterans like her looked 'pretty old'

When Ms Monk picked Genevieve up, Ms LaBelle, herself a mother of five children, admonished the new mom for leaving her daughter by the door.

Ms Monk told the New York Post she responded: 'I have no interest in what you say or think.'
The diva, who was dressed in a fur coat and over-sized sunglasses, started hurling profanities at Ms Monk and her baby, according to the lawsuit.

Legend: Ms LaBelle has been a hit-maker for more than four decades, with songs including 'Lady Marmalade' and 'On My Own'
Ms LaBelle then threw water from a water bottle in the baby's face.
When Genevieve started to cry, Ms Monk told her: 'Are you happy that this is what you have done to this baby?'
That's when the singer, known for hit songs including 'Lady Marmalade' and 'I'll Be Your Friend,' 'tries to take a swing' at Ms Monk, the couple's attorney Sam Davis told the New York Daily News.

Ms. LaBelle's entourage restrained her and shuffled her off into a waiting car.
The couple said they didn't want to sue. First, they asked the singer, who was staying at the New York apartment building while she worked on the Broadway show 'Fela!', for an apology.

But they decided to file a lawsuit after reading about an incident in Houston where Ms LaBelle's bodyguards were arrested for beating a West Point cadet in March.

'The purpose is to hold Patti LaBelle responsible for her conduct, Mr Davis said.

'That kind of behavior is completely unacceptable, especially when aimed at a kindergarten teacher carrying an 18-month-old child.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2061879/Patti-LaBelle-screamed-toddler-threw-water-childs-face--swung-punch-pregnant-mother.html#ixzz1eGeXL1O2

smark21
11-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Labelle broke up for a number of reasons. Patti was never comfortable with what she called "the rock and roll lifestyle"--which included a lot of drugs in and around the group, which she had been protected from in earlier days. Patti did want to do more ballads and show tunes, but Sarah and Nona didn't even want to do "Isn't It a Shame" and that was, for Patti, the last straw. Patti felt she was the leader and focal point of the group, but Vicki and Nona were really running things, so that caused a lot of friction. Then there is the fact that they hit their commercial high point in 1975, and their records past that point didn't sell as well--and Patti felt Nona's songs were not commercial enough, since most of them were psychedelic funk which was fine for groups like PFunk but not for women. I love Nona's music but at the time, disco or dance music was getting more vapid and silly, whereas Nona's music was more cerebral. Then, towards the end, rumors started circulating that all three women were lesbians, involved with each other, and that bugged the crap out of Patti. Suddenly everything Nona wrote was supposedly about homosexuality in some peoples' minds--something that Nona strongly denied. Her song "Going Down Makes
Me Shiver" was about baptism and spirituality, but fans insisted it was about oral sex [[to be fair, Nona obviously loved double entendre--but it is interesting that earlier soul songs like "I'm Going Down" never got that rep).Last but not least, Labelle had been together 17 years, and that's a loooong time. They were just burnt out. Yes Nona and Patti got in a huge fight that night before their last gig in Cincinnati [[I think) and yes Nona had some sort of breakdown, but those were just symptoms of the previously stated problems. I would imagine it also bugged Patti that Nona, the groups main song-writer, made a lot more money from Labelle than Patti did. If Patti went solo, she kept all the money. So there ya have it.

Interesting to learn about. In some respects LaBelle mirrored Oasis in that Liam Gallagher was the lead singer, but his brother Noel was the primary songwriter, as well as lead guitarist. I guess a similar friction can occur in other groups in which the lead singer may be the focal point of the act, but another member is the creative talent behind the scenes.

jobeterob
11-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Like Simon & Garfunkel? The Beach Boys?