PDA

View Full Version : Organizing every Supremes MP3

test

abbafanusa
11-11-2011, 03:45 AM
Hello! I'm Pepé and this is my first post here, though I've been lurking for a couple of years. I first met Carlo on an ABBA forum where he informed me of this one. As well as ABBA, I'm a big Supremes fan. Always knowing about them in my youth, it wasn't until I purchased the 2CD set of '25th Anniversary' in the '80's where I became hooked.
My favorite hit is "Reflections" and favorite non hit is "The Beginning Of The End Of Love" first heard on the 2000 Box Set. For some reason, I've always been attracted to Flo & Cindy. I just love watching them during TV performances. It wasn't until the 2000 that I first heard the 70's material. Now that I own both of those Box Sets, I love them as much as the DRATS era.

My question to you experts is, with all of the CD's out there which include unreleased & alternate versions, has anyone ever tackled organizing all these tracks onto their appropriate album? I would really like to clean up my iTunes and just tack all these miscellaneous songs as bonus tracks to the CD's of their era [[A Super Deluxe Version, if you will) Some of them I can figure out, but I'm not nearly as knowledgable on every track to handle this alone. I'm guessing there will be some songs that can't fit anywhere because the original album hasn't been on CD yet [[i.e. Funny Girl) or the album was cancelled [[i.e. Disney).

Is this an impossible feat? Any help would be appreciated.
Pepé :cool:

uptight
11-11-2011, 03:58 AM
I guess you are asking how you should organize previously unreleased tracks in new playlists in iTunes. Maybe it depends on how creative you want to get with breaking them down into categories and naming each playlist. Personally, I never thought of it because if the unreleased and alternate versions are on these recent CD compilations, then they are already neatly packaged as Lost & Found or Never-Before Released Masters, etc.

Now I suppose you could name your new playlist "Unreleased and Alternate Supremes," and put those versions in there. The label doesn't sound very glamorous, but it's a start. LOL

abbafanusa
11-11-2011, 04:16 AM
Not exactly, uptight. I want to eliminate 25th Anniversary, Lost & Found, Never Before Released Masters etc, etc from my iTunes. I only want the main albums. So I need to know the best album to attach every one of these unreleased/alternate songs to.

uptight
11-11-2011, 05:34 AM
Oh, okay. That's a mind boggler... Many songs were recorded without any attachment to album projects. They were just trying to "crank them out" at Hitsville at the time. Except for themed albums like We Remember Sam Cooke, the released albums often included a hodgepodge of recordings.

ejluther
11-11-2011, 06:36 AM
It would be great to have a thread that tracks all the Supremes songs by recording date which would allow you to at least arrange them by years/around albums released but that would undoubtedly by a mammoth task. But there are people on this forum who seem to be an endless source of information about recording dates, etc. so it is probably possible.

TYK1986
11-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Not exactly, uptight. I want to eliminate 25th Anniversary, Lost & Found, Never Before Released Masters etc, etc from my iTunes. I only want the main albums. So I need to know the best album to attach every one of these unreleased/alternate songs to.

I've been trying to do the same thing with my Mp3's. What you could do is look at all the expanded editions they've produced so far as Where did our love go, meet the supremes and more hits and see which tracks thet've added to them. Thats how i try to organize them.

honest man
11-11-2011, 08:17 AM
I Asked the same thing a few weeks ago not much happened,i will start off hopefully others may add as we go would i be right in starting the thread with 1 THE TEARS,Cheers welcome by the way.

johnjeb
11-11-2011, 08:45 AM
You could go to the site Don't Forget The Motor City and look at the songs' recording dates and assign them according to an album's release date.

http://www.dftmc.info/

redlabs
11-11-2011, 09:33 AM
inside the liner notes to 25TH ANNIVERARY and MASTERS ,they had recording dates under the song titles. some songs were out takes such as my non single fav BEGINNING OF THE END OF LOVE which was recorded originnally for LOVE CHILD but not used and then considered for CREAM OF THE CROP. i added it to LOVE CHILD in place of SUNNY BOY. it also kinda has a REFLECTIONS feel to it but that could just be me. i dont have the track listing in front of me but many of the songs from 25TH...i thought were out takes from the first couple albums ...WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO,MORE HITS. if you check the dates it will help you or let me know i can look it up. off to work now.good luck

ejluther
11-11-2011, 09:36 AM
http://www.dftmc.info/ [[http://www.dftmc.info/)

That's a great resource, johnjeb - thanks!

redlabs
11-11-2011, 09:47 AM
t25th anniversary,track 1 and 2 FROM sing rogers and hart
track 3AND 4,6 ,18 from THERES A PLACE FOR US
TRACK 5 AND 7 DISNEY ALBUM
#8 DATED 12-68
#9 DATED 12-67
#10 7-66 OUTAKE FROM A GO GO
#11 ALT 1-64
TRACK 12 2-65 FROM MORE HITS
#13 FROM MORE HITS
#14 OUT TAKE FROM where did our love go
#15AND 17 MEET THE SUPREMES ??
#21 OUT TAKE FROM REFLECTIONS
hope that helps some

-

redlabs
11-11-2011, 10:01 AM
The masters cd
#1 sweet thing 3-68[reflections?]
#2 all the way to true love 5-67
#3a little breeze 2-68 i added this to cream of the crop
#4asking too much 2-68
#5stormy 1-69 added to cream of the crop.maybe sunhine lp?
#6 slow down 7-66 a go go?
#7dont let tru love die 6-66 a go go?
#8 too much too soon 7-65 more hits
#9 too hurt to cry more hits 2 -65
#19 get a witness 4-66 from a go go
#11 come to my palace 12-64
#12 exception to the rule2-63
#13 our day will come 4-65 from there s a place for us
#14 save me a star 8-61 meet the supremes
#15 mr.blues 7-63 meet the supremes?
#16 miss loser 3-65 theres a place for us
#17 fancy passes 6-65 theres a place 4 us
#18davy crocket 1-67 disney
#19 super....1-67 disney ;lp
#20 whistle...1-67 disney
#21 no strings9-67 disney
22 dream a wish ...9-67 disney
#23 land of make believe 9-67 disney
#24 toyland 9-67
#25 before xmas 9-67

redlabs
11-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Tracks 26 and 27 from merry christmas 9-65

ejluther
11-20-2011, 11:15 AM
Just wanted to throw a link to this thread here, too, in case someone can help with other sources for actual recording date info:

http://soulfuldetroit.com/showthread.php?4176-Supremes-Songs-Chronological-Database

johnny_raven
11-20-2011, 12:10 PM
"Fancy Passes" from The Masters CD has an incorrect date. This is version 2, the demo of which was recorded on July 13, 1967. The June 1965 date refers to version 1. Both versions are found on There's A Place For Us CD.