PDA

View Full Version : The Supremes performing Beach Ball...Did Anybody Else Catch This?

test

BayouMotownMan
11-09-2011, 10:37 PM
There is a mystery that has bothered me for a while concerning The Supremes performing Beach Ball in the movie by the same name.

Can anybody else detect the blooper here? Whenever they get to the chorus the camera usually cuts away. But if you watch, the ladies are not mouthing "Come On, Come On, Come on...To the Beach Ball With Me." They are mouthing "Come On, Come On...To the Beach Ball with me," leaving out one of the "come on's." All three ladies are doing this throughout the song so I've asked Andy Skurow if perhaps there is an alternate version of this song.

If you go to YouTube you can watch the whole clip. Would be interested if anybody else caught this.

motony
11-09-2011, 11:06 PM
from what I remember the movie itself was a POS,I only went for the Supremes, they were singin at a car show I think but the way I remember the song is with only 2 come ons.

Jimi LaLumia
11-09-2011, 11:10 PM
I saw this when it was new, and Miss Ross laughed her way through the performance,she must have realized what a hoot it was for The Supremes to be singing about surfer boys...this appearance was clearly a lark for the girls..great track though..

reese
11-09-2011, 11:25 PM
I never noticed the camera cutaways before.

But the recent MORE HITS cd notes say that the working title of the song was "BIKINI PARTY". In her first book, Mary wrote that the girls filmed a movie called "BIKINI PARTY", but that it was never released. However, she never mentions "BEACH BALL" at all.

Maybe "BIKINI PARTY" was actually released, but with a new title, "BEACH BALL" . And since the girls had already filmed their segment, they had to go back and re-record some lines for the song to reflect the new title. But they didn't redo the visual. Just a thought.

motony
11-09-2011, 11:33 PM
it seemed like everyweeknd through '65 there was a new "Beach & or Bikini" movie, & we would go to Saturday matinee, those movies didn't age well.I can't sit through a whole one now.I was a little surfer boy in '65 & I never saw the Supremes at the beach, LOL the glamour & gowns jus don't mix with salt water & sand.

Jimi LaLumia
11-09-2011, 11:41 PM
in 1965 or 66, NY Top 40 giant WMCA AM had announced that Diana Ross [[solo) was going to appear in a film called "Island Of The Pussycats"; [[Josie & the Pussycats,anyone?).....then, it was NEVER mentioned again

motony
11-09-2011, 11:46 PM
I don't doubt that, Jimi...it was said that Florence had been offered roles in film & goin through her management[[Motown) that was never relayed to her.I do remember an Island movie that the whole island was a womens prison, maybe Pam Greer was in it late 60's early 70's I guess.

Jimi LaLumia
11-09-2011, 11:58 PM
this obviously would have been a "Beach Ball" movie,not a heavy drama, as Pussycat was a then cool term for hip 'chicks" [[as per the 1965 Tom Jones hit, "What's New,Pussycat?")/...
I remember the Pam Grier flick, Ross would have never done anything like THAT!!!...lol

franjoy56
11-10-2011, 12:09 AM
think the name of the flim was Black Mama/White Mama

ejluther
11-10-2011, 07:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sepy886IhJ0
Good eye to catch that, BMM...

smark21
11-10-2011, 09:00 AM
It was a low budget movie. Perhaps they only had one take to get the lip synch right. They didn't, but it was time to move on to the next scene to shoot for the day.

randy_russi
11-10-2011, 09:35 AM
There were a lot of other acts in this movie too. The Supremes, however, were the only act, I think, to do two songs.
I loved the way all three of them looked. By the way, the back up band behind them were called "The Sinners"
according to the bass drum. Were they a real group? Did they actually work with the Supremes or were they
just props for the movie?

skooldem1
11-10-2011, 10:04 AM
They performed 2 songs in the movie? I only saw one. This movie ran on VH1 in the 90's and that is when I caught it. I don't know what it is about that song, but it hooked me right away. This is a great song, very catchy. I agree, there is something a little funny about 3 detroit girls singing about a surfer boy.

marybrewster
11-10-2011, 10:23 AM
The Supremes sing "[[Come to the) Beach Ball [[With Me)" and "Surfer Boy".

I am surprised that Berry would allow the Supremes to be in such a low-budget, "no name" movie. The Supremes were riding pretty high by 1965; shouldn't they have at least been in a movie with Frankie and Annette?

Jimi LaLumia
11-10-2011, 10:45 AM
in the era of instant success, here today, gone tomorrow 1965, no one knew if the one year success of The Supremes would last, thus Gordy rushed out 6 or 7 albums all at once[[make hay while the sun shines) and shoved them into anything and everything that he could

RossHolloway
11-10-2011, 11:37 AM
And wasn't Little Stevie Wonder also in a beach movie around this time frame?

motony
11-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Stevie was in the 2nd Frankie & Annette Beach Party movie BEFORE the Supremes by about a year.

Jimi LaLumia
11-10-2011, 11:54 AM
The Four Seasons[[who battled the Supremes on the 1960's Top 40 charts) were also in "Beach Ball", I think they may have had two songs as well