PDA

View Full Version : Diana Ross [[1976) Deluxe Edition

test

Glenpwood
11-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Since its been announced as the next Ross reissue by Andy with a tenantive release date of January 2012 [[or when the powers that be at Universal above them deem it ready to go) and listed in the More Hits booklet, lets discuss and celebrate one of Diana's strongest charting seventies albums....

Glenpwood
11-09-2011, 02:43 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3c/Diana76.jpg [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Diana76.jpg)

Such an iconic cover shot....

skooldem1
11-09-2011, 02:52 PM
I missed last nights show. What kind of tidbits did they share regarding this release?

Glenpwood
11-09-2011, 02:54 PM
That they found missing versus taken out of songs, alternate vocals for every track, and "new songs" but didn't elaborate on what those might be....

Glenpwood
11-09-2011, 02:56 PM
Maybe we'll find out Love Hangover was originally longer than Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In on Farewell but that would likely eat up an entire disc alone lol

whitesoxx
11-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Can't wait for this release! Hopefully the much-much-much requested "Baby It's Me" will be next!

skooldem1
11-09-2011, 03:31 PM
I don't have the CD in front of me, what was the original track list? This looks like its gonna be very nice. A different vocal, and perhaps additional lyrics of "Do you know". A funkier, longer version of "one love in my lifetime". I wonder how many mixes of "Love Hangover" they will include?

Glenpwood
11-09-2011, 04:49 PM
"Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To) [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theme_from_Mahogany_[[Do_You_Know_Where_You%27re_Go ing_To))" [[Michael Masser [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Masser), Gerry Goffin [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Goffin)) – 3:22
"I Thought It Took a Little Time [[But Today I Fell in Love)" [[Michael Masser, Pam Sawyer [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pam_Sawyer)) – 3:19
"Love Hangover [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Hangover)" [[Marilyn McLeod, Pam Sawyer) – 7:49
"Kiss Me Now" [[Gwen Gordy Fuqua [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwen_Gordy_Fuqua), Kenneth Lupper, Bobby Susser [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Susser)) – 2:42
"You're Good My Child" [[Kenneth Lupper) – 3:35
"One Love in My Lifetime" [[Lawrence Brown, Terri McFadden, Leonard Perry) – 3:37
"Ain't Nothin' But a Maybe" [[Nickolas Ashford, Valerie Simpson [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashford_%26_Simpson)) – 3:35
"After You" [[Michael Masser, Ron Miller [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Miller_[[songwriter))) – 4:06
"Smile [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile_[[Charlie_Chaplin_song))" [[Charlie Chaplin [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Chaplin), Geoffrey Parsons [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Parsons_[[lyricist)), John Turner [[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Turner_[[lyricist))) – 2:55

Glenpwood
11-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Wasn't this cobbled together from Michael Masser material originally slated for the Mahogany soundtrack before they decided to do a strictly score album? We know "Smile" comes from the Blue LP sessions. For it to come from several producers and time periods it has a very nice flow to it....

BayouMotownMan
11-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I'd say it's a good album, but not among my favs by Ross. The Michael Masser material ruled. I Thought It Took A Little Time was destined for major hit status before Gordy ordered it pulled in favor of Love Hangover. I have always hated Love Hangover, it was just cheap disco to me.

After You is an outstanding song and also qualified to be a hit single. The single remix of One Love In My Lifetime was also funky. Great guitar work on that one.

jobeterob
11-09-2011, 06:05 PM
This is among my favorite albums from Ross. But quite a bit below Baby It's Me.

I like Ain't Nothin But A Maybe, After You, the first part of Mahogany, Thought it Took A Little Time, and Kiss Me Now.

The song that I've gotten tired of is Love Hangover; the ballad part is fine; the rest is now dated. But it was a huge hit and it drove this album to sell a lot.

rovereab
11-09-2011, 06:40 PM
I am REALLY looking forward to this release. I do hope there is a mix of Love Hangover with all the instruments, background vocals and lead vocals in addition to the "sanitized" version from the original album.

I agree with Glenpwood above regarding the cover - simple but stunning.

Roberta75
11-09-2011, 06:43 PM
I am REALLY looking forward to this release. I do hope there is a mix of Love Hangover with all the instruments, background vocals and lead vocals in addition to the "sanitized" version from the original album.

I agree with Glenpwood above regarding the cover - simple but stunning.

I completely agree with you rovereab. This is one i'll order on the first day.

Roberta

gordy_hunk
11-09-2011, 06:45 PM
The only track I can't bear to listen to on this album is the final track. It's horrible.

Although there are some extremely good tracks, I still find "love hangover" to be outstanding. When that fades, and 'kiss me now' starts, it really is a brilliant close to side one of the album. The Ashford + Simpson track "Ain't nothing but a maybe" is a powerful one - and I love to have the bass on full when I listen to that.

Overall, I've always thought that this was one of Diana's best albums, and in my top 5 of albums by Diana [[which includes 'diana', 'the boss', 'i'm still waiting' and the first solo album, 'diana ross').

JohnnyB
11-09-2011, 06:58 PM
I agree that Smile didn't fit with the rest of the LP. When I discovered it was recorded years earlier, I assumed it was included because Diana was singing it during An Evening With. A good track, but not for this LP.

rovereab
11-09-2011, 07:00 PM
I should have said above, re Love Hangover, hopefully the compilers will not include the version that is present on the Deluxe Chic album as it has a [[boring) repeated section and poor mastering.

Roberta75
11-09-2011, 07:29 PM
I should have said above, re Love Hangover, hopefully the compilers will not include the version that is present on the Deluxe Chic album as it has a [[boring) repeated section and poor mastering.

I actually loved the extended version of Love Hangover on Diana Deluxe. It got me through many a good step class.

Roberta

redlabs
11-09-2011, 07:34 PM
this was my first diana album and it started a love affair that has lasted ever since. i played this album to death .Soonafter i bought the HITS album that came out later that year . this is one of my all time favorite album along with Baby Its Me. cant wait to hear the story behind this album and all its out takes.looking forward to it

redlabs
11-09-2011, 07:55 PM
i think TODAY I FELL IN LOVE and ONE LOVE IN MY LIFETIME are two under rated DR tracks.

soulster
11-09-2011, 09:03 PM
This looks like a CD I will buy! It's about time they reissued this in digital form.

jack020
11-10-2011, 03:27 AM
Can we finally get Tom Moulton's remix of Love Hangover on this release?

uptight
11-10-2011, 05:21 AM
"...'Creatively' entitled Diana Ross," the album showed her versatility while her management was about to present her in a one-woman Broadway show that eventually toured around the world.

It isn't one of my favorite albums, but it has its moments. "Theme From Mahogany" and "I Thought It Took..." were the best tunes. "You're Good My Child" was the worst, LOL. Ross sounded unrehearsed on that song.

thisoldheart
11-10-2011, 08:44 AM
i always thought "love hangover" was one of ross's fiercest tracts. i have a dutch cd ep with several remixes. wish they would be included. "hangover" and "stone love" were two monster hits in my disco days. we would grab our bottles of amyl nitrate and hit the dance floor whenever either of those played!

whitesoxx
11-10-2011, 08:51 AM
I'm also not such a big fan of the version of Love Hangover that is on the Chic box set, the added backing vocals add nothing to the track in my opinion. I'm hoping for an instrumental mix to be included on the release.

There are several versions of "I Thought It Took A Little Time" out there already, so I am assuming they will be added to the album.

I wish Hip-O would step up their release schedule before CD's become extinct by the way. There's still a lot of stuff that should be out on CD like Rick James' "Throwin' Down", Commodores, Billy Preston's Motown albums, Temptations and Four Tops' 70's and early 80's albums etc.

RossHolloway
11-10-2011, 10:25 AM
i always thought "love hangover" was one of ross's fiercest tracts. i have a dutch cd ep with several remixes. wish they would be included. "hangover" and "stone love" were two monster hits in my disco days. we would grab our bottles of amyl nitrate and hit the dance floor whenever either of those played!

What are "amyl nitrates"?

redlabs
11-10-2011, 10:30 AM
i liked all the songs on this album! diana sounds great hear to me.

skooldem1
11-10-2011, 10:35 AM
This was a solid album. One album with hits like "do you know", "love hangover", "one love in my lifetime", plus the fan favorite "I thought it took a little time", make this album a classic. Of course back in the day, albums were so short, usually 8-10 tracks. A deluxe version of this will be welcomed.

Roberta75
11-10-2011, 01:16 PM
This was a solid album. One album with hits like "do you know", "love hangover", "one love in my lifetime", plus the fan favorite "I thought it took a little time", make this album a classic. Of course back in the day, albums were so short, usually 8-10 tracks. A deluxe version of this will be welcomed.

"I thought it took a little time to learn about loving" is a beautiful song and Diana owns it. I also look forward to this deluxe edition.

Roberta

jobeterob
11-10-2011, 02:03 PM
There are so many albums coming out right now that are worth having.............Diana the Greatest, More Hits, the #1 singles collections by both the Tempts and Supremes and this album to look forward to.

This album will be great. However, I always wished that they had built the song, I Thought It Took A Little Time, to a little more of a climax. It starts off so simply which is one of it's strong points; but I always felt it needed just a little bit more to drive it home.

Love Hangover obviously has a lot of fans and was a huge hit; hopefully we will hear something new with it.

redlabs
11-10-2011, 09:50 PM
the 1989 remix of Hangover was pretty good.i have to dig it out and take a listen again

smark21
11-10-2011, 11:43 PM

Also known as poppers. Little bottles you put up to your nose to enhale. It's supposed to enhance the sexual experience.

RossHolloway
11-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Also known as poppers. Little bottles you put up to your nose to enhale. It's supposed to enhance the sexual experience.

Well I learn something new everyday from this board lol. Thanks.

John Sands
11-11-2011, 11:17 AM
this is fantastic. Can we pre-order on amazon?

kenneth
11-11-2011, 12:10 PM

I think their real [[legitimate) purpose is to stimulate the heart in those who have congestive heart failure or seizures possibly. In movies you sometimes see a doctor breaking a capsule and then holding it under a person's nose. I don't think the "street" varieties actually contain the amyl nitrate "cocktail," but I'm not sure what's in them. They still sell them in Los Angeles. Back in the day, their unmistakable odor [[kind of like paint thinner!) would permeate the air at the discos. I remember one popular brand was called Locker Room [[though I kind of hate to mention that considering this week's news from back East).

lakedistrictlad1
11-11-2011, 12:51 PM
this is fantastic. Can we pre-order on amazon?

I'm not sure amyl nitrate is available through Amazon. Yet. ;-)

kenneth
11-11-2011, 03:04 PM
I'm not sure amyl nitrate is available through Amazon. Yet. ;-)

LOL...I guess eventually we'll be able to buy everything on Amazon!

jobeterob
11-11-2011, 03:24 PM
Amyl nitrate was a favorite in some of the Catholic Churches and residential schools in Canada too; not only locker rooms in Pennsylvania. Sad.

John Sands
11-11-2011, 03:39 PM
not that, the album!!!!

Laurel
11-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Amyl nitrate was a favorite in some of the Catholic Churches and residential schools in Canada too; not only locker rooms in Pennsylvania. Sad.

I don't think that's very funny. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Laurel
11-11-2011, 04:46 PM

I thought this was a discussion about Diana Ross not sex. If you want to talk dirty about sex then there should a separate thread for those of you who want to engage in locker room talk. I don't think it's appropriate for those of us who want to learn more about Diana Ross. I love to have fun, but this is just too much.

Roberta75
11-11-2011, 05:45 PM

Not at the masses I have attended. Really!!! Whatever next.

jobeterob
11-11-2011, 05:53 PM
It's not funny at all; but it also is what happened up here. The lawsuits are endless over it.

But of course, it wasn't all of them and everyone; probably too much generalization.

Glenpwood
11-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Ahh but you can buy poppers on Amazon.... Copy and paste the link.... To save on shipping though do pick up a Motown Release and keep the reissues coming.....;)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Jungle+juice&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=amyl+nitrate&sprefix=Amyl&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aamyl+nitrate

stephanie
11-11-2011, 10:25 PM
I am in the minority here I never cared for Love Hangover that much not even by the Fifth Dimension I was shocked when this song became a huge hit. The ONLY reason I listened to this album was for I Thought It Took a Little Time and my favorite song which I could listen to over and over on this song Kiss Me Now. I thought the cover for its time was awesome this one and the Everything is Everything were my favorite Ross album covers.

jobeterob
11-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Love Hangover was a monster hit in it's day. And I see it retains a lot of it's popularity. I find it a little bit boring when it goes into the disco part but I think I'm in the minority.

Roberta75
11-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Love Hangover was a monster hit in it's day. And I see it retains a lot of it's popularity. I find it a little bit boring when it goes into the disco part but I think I'm in the minority.

You sure are in the minority. LOL

I can dance my shoes off when it goes into the disco part.

Roberta

Koach
11-12-2011, 01:19 PM
I liked the first half of Love Hangover, but the second part seemed to drag on IMO.

JohnnyB
11-14-2011, 06:43 AM
I have to agree that I prefer the sultry Love Hangover intro. Over the years alternate versions of the intro have been released [[additional lyrics, spoken verses). I'm hoping this release includes a mix of the song with a lengthened intro to include more of this, then the standard disco ending. Really looking forward to Diana Ross Expanded!!

jack020
11-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Again:
Tom Moulton made an 18 [[?) minute remix which was supposed to be available on Itunes as an extra with the first Motown Remixed but it never got an official release!
Maybe now is the time to release this...

redlabs
11-14-2011, 09:51 AM
forgot about that jack020. hopefully we will get to hear it

jobeterob
11-17-2011, 05:40 PM
[January 2012] Diana Ross - Diana Ross [[Deluxe Edition) [Hip-O Select]

Page 1 of 1
[ 2 posts ]
Previous topic | Next topic

Rock'n'Roll Elitist Post subject: [January 2012] Diana Ross - Diana Ross [[Deluxe Edition) [Hip-O Select]Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:00 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early word leaking out from Harry's crew at Hip-O Select is they are currently working on Diana's 1976 self-titled album. The deluxe edition has a tenantive release date of January 2012.

"Diana Ross" was the second album to bear just her name [[the first, of course, being her 1970 solo debut), and the first of Ross' albums since her debut to yield more than four hit singles. It reached #5 on the US Billboard 200 album chart, #4 on the US Billboard R&B Album Chart and the Top 10 in the UK. When it was originally issued on February 10, 1976, Diana's second motion picture, "Mahogany" was still in theaters, the Tony-award winning show "An Evening With Diana Ross" was breaking box office records on Broadway, and Billboard magazine named her "Artist Of The Century". Two singles from "Diana Ross" became #1 hits: "Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)" [[also included on the Mahogany soundtrack), and the disco anthem, "Love Hangover". Two further single releases - "One Love In My Lifetime" and "I Thought It Took A Liitle Time [[But Today I Fell In Love)" also charted [[#25 and #47 Pop, respectively).

Alternate vocals have been found for all nine tracks of the original LP, along with previously missing verses from many tracks and tracks that have never been released. No mention has been made yet what those unreleased tracks will be, though one inclusion might be "Don't Leave Me This Way," which producer Hal Davis cut on Diana [[the same backing track used for the eventual Thelma Houston release).

More info to follow...

dba
11-17-2011, 05:56 PM
I remember a Rolling Stone or Interview [[Andy Warhol) piece on DR at the time she was doing the Palace Theater with an Evening with that stated that she was in the studio nights after finishing the show laying down some new tracks. I have tried to find a copy of this article on line but with no success.

Could some of the tracks be some of the unreleased material.

Please folks feel free to jump in here if anyone has these old publications. Harry or Andy?

I was hoping for Baby It's Me, but any new remastered DR is appreciated.

Jimi LaLumia
11-17-2011, 06:03 PM
maybe I missed it, but was the first solo Ross album given the expanded edition treatment? Is it still available?

jobeterob
11-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Samples

To view this content, download Flash player [[version 8.0.0.0 or higher)

Song Title Time Price
1. Reach Out And Touch [[Somebody's Hand) 3:08 $0.99
2. Now That There's You 3:31 $0.99
3. You're All I Need To Get By 3:29 $0.99
4. These Things Will Keep Me Loving You 3:12 $0.99
5. Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[Single Version) 6:20 $0.99
6. Something On My Mind 2:28 $0.99
7. I Wouldn't Change The Man He Is 3:21 $0.99
8. Keep An Eye 3:17 $0.99
9. Where There Was Darkness 3:19 $0.99
10. Can't It Wait Until Tomorrow 3:19 $0.99
11. Dark Side Of The World 3:13 $0.99
12. Something On My Mind [[Live at The Grove) 2:37 $0.99
13. Ain't No Mountain High Enough [[Alternate mix) 6:06 $0.99
14. Now That There's You [[Alternate Vocal Version) 3:08 $0.99
15. These Things Will Keep Me Loving You [[Alternate mix) 3:13 $0.99
16. Time And Love 4:08 $0.99
17. Stoney End 3:39 $0.99
18. The Interim 4:49 $0.99
19. Loves, Lines, Angles And Rhymes 4:02 $0.99

Visit our audio help page for more information

Jimi LaLumia
11-17-2011, 07:07 PM
this was commercially released and is still available?

reese
11-17-2011, 07:07 PM
I remember a Rolling Stone or Interview [[Andy Warhol) piece on DR at the time she was doing the Palace Theater with an Evening with that stated that she was in the studio nights after finishing the show laying down some new tracks. I have tried to find a copy of this article on line but with no success.

Could some of the tracks be some of the unreleased material.

Please folks feel free to jump in here if anyone has these old publications. Harry or Andy?

I was hoping for Baby It's Me, but any new remastered DR is appreciated.

There was a ROLLING STONE cover story during the summer of 1977. It mentioned that Diana was recording "ALL NIGHT LOVER" which ended up on "BABY IT'S ME". I also read that during this time Diana was recording two albums simultaneously, one of them being a disco album.

BayouMotownMan
11-17-2011, 07:15 PM
I read that article. She said All Night Lover was reminiscent of the original Motown Sound. I found it to be a poor replica. The better cuts on Baby It's Me are You Got It, Too Shy To Say, The Same Love That Made Me Laugh [[which should have been a single, it was played on Soul Train even)

jobeterob
11-17-2011, 07:26 PM
I thought the first single should have been All Night Lover and then The Same Love That Made Me Laugh; in another era, Confide in Me would have been a success.

And yes, Diana 1970, Expanded is still available on Amazon.

reese
11-17-2011, 07:50 PM
I always liked ALL NIGHT LOVER. It reminded me somewhat of I HEAR A SYMPHONY. Overall, I just feel that BABY IT'S ME is a great album. After its release, I remember watching a tv show that had Raquel Welch as a special guest. Every song she sang was from BABY IT'S ME.

marv2
11-17-2011, 08:20 PM
I always liked ALL NIGHT LOVER. It reminded me somewhat of I HEAR A SYMPHONY. Overall, I just feel that BABY IT'S ME is a great album. After its release, I remember watching a tv show that had Raquel Welch as a special guest. Every song she sang was from BABY IT'S ME.

"Getting Ready for Love" and the whole "Baby It's Me" album is Diana Ross at her all time best! Nothing before it or after has captured her unique vocal talents and style like that album. Richard Perry is to be commended as well.

Jimi LaLumia
11-17-2011, 08:42 PM
agreed...highly under rated album...

redlabs
11-17-2011, 10:25 PM
loved ALL NIGHT LOVER and the BABY IT'S ME album. loved DR76, a great album.looking forward to this...what a way to start off the new year

robbert
11-17-2011, 10:46 PM
Engineer Russ Terrana [[y'all know who he is) could have brought home some material of Love Hangover.

Ralph, could you please ask your bro if he did?

smark21
11-17-2011, 11:23 PM
I enjoy both Diana Ross 76 and Baby It's Me. I hope Baby It's Me gets the deluxe re-release at some point. Come in from the Rain is one of Ross' best ballads ever. For the more uptempo stuff on Baby It's Me, I like Top of the World.

ejluther
11-18-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm a big fan of BABY, IT'S ME, too - a really solid album all around. Speaking of "The Same Love That Made Me Laugh", I thought Queen Latifah's version from a few years back was really great, too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W015G6/ref=dm_dp_trk4?ie=UTF8&qid=1321617425&sr=8-1

marv2
11-18-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm a big fan of BABY, IT'S ME, too - a really solid album all around. Speaking of "The Same Love That Made Me Laugh", I thought Queen Latifah's version from a few years back was really great, too.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W015G6/ref=dm_dp_trk4?ie=UTF8&qid=1321617425&sr=8-1

The way in which they ordered the tracks on the album was just masterful. It was like "Gettin' Ready for Love" was used as a vocal warm-up and then she took off and really settled into the rest of the set. The entire album was crisp, clear, light, moody and in it's own way a bit funky [["Baby It's Me). Why Motown did not have Richard Perry produce a follow up is beyond me.

ralpht
11-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Robbert,
I'm not sure I understand your question.

R. Mark Desjardins
11-25-2011, 09:37 PM
I tracked down the August 1977 issue of Rolling Stone with Diana Ross on the cover. There were two features on Diana and in the section "The Summer and Fall of Diana Ross by Ben Fong-Torres, he referred to entries in her appointment book for Tuesday, 21st June, 1977. "At four [[p.m.) she is right on time at Richard Perry's Studio 55 in Los Angeles. It becomes clear that the schedule is incomplete. After doing the vocal track over pre-recorded instrumentals for "All Night Lover," she must go uptown to Motown's studio where she is recording another album with another producer, Hal Davis, maker of "Love Hangover." The company apparently wants enough on the shelves to tide over her time spent filming the Wiz."

Ross goes on to state, "The Perry album... is a love album. We wanted to make a record people could make love to - keep putting the arm on back to the thing, and make love to it." She went on to state, "The Motown album, on the other hand, is for for dancing." Fong-Torres wrote, she is recording it simultaneously "because I'm leaving for the Wiz, and that's not the reason, really. I wanted to follow up 'Love Hangover' with a disco type of album."

Fong-Torres continued with. She isn't sure - and in fact doesn't care - which Motown will release first. "Whichever they need," she says. "Whatever the market looks like it's ripe for." She is pleased to have enough product to free her to pay full attention to the Wiz."

Evidently, "Don't Leave Me This Way" and a disco arrangement of "For Once in My Life" were recorded during the Davis sessions. One can only wonder what treats are in store if all the session tracks get released!

For those readers of this thread who may not be aware, Motown staff writer, Marilyn McLeod, who co-wrote "Love Hangover" is the sister of musician, Alice McLeod, who married John Coltrane. Marilyn McLeod was part of the short lived group "The Nu Page" which had one release of the MoWest Label in 1973 "When The Brothers Come Marching Home" b/w "A Heart Is A House." McLeod continues to record and in 2010 she released a CD entitled "I Believe" featuring compositions she co-wrote with Janie Bradford, best known as the co-writer of the early Motown hit, "Money." McLeod's nephew, LA based hip hop recording artist Flying Lotus continues the musical family tradition and samples his late aunt, Alice Coltrane in his output.

Bokiluis
11-26-2011, 09:47 AM
Ahh but you can buy poppers on Amazon.... Copy and paste the link.... To save on shipping though do pick up a Motown Release and keep the reissues coming.....;)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Jungle+juice&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=amyl+nitrate&sprefix=Amyl&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aamyl+nitrate

I agree with Laurel that the discussion has strayed way too far from Diana. However, I am always saying you can buy almost anything on Amazon. This proves the point all too well! amazing! I thought they were illegal in most states. Okay back to the topic at hand.

Though I have the first edition of "The Black Album" when it was initially released on Cd, I am excited about this release. All the Diana solo Expanded Editions have been great. For me, the pinnacle has been "Touch Me in the Morning:Expanded Edition". "To the Baby" could have easily been a stand alone release like "Blue". At one point, I believe "Blue" was supposed to be part of an Expanded Edition of "Lady Sings the Blues". But apparently, there are very strict restrictions that nothing can be changed on the soundtrack. They were hoping to release "Blue" to coincide with the release of the movie finally on DVD. At least, that is what I understood it to be.

But if they can top "Touch Me in the Morning: Expanded Edition" with "Diana Ross 1976/The Black Album", that will be heavenly.

selinasian
11-26-2011, 11:41 AM
[January 2012] Diana Ross - Diana Ross [[Deluxe Edition) [Hip-O Select]

Page 1 of 1
[ 2 posts ]
Previous topic | Next topic

Rock'n'Roll Elitist Post subject: [January 2012] Diana Ross - Diana Ross [[Deluxe Edition) [Hip-O Select]Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:00 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early word leaking out from Harry's crew at Hip-O Select is they are currently working on Diana's 1976 self-titled album. The deluxe edition has a tenantive release date of January 2012.

"Diana Ross" was the second album to bear just her name [[the first, of course, being her 1970 solo debut), and the first of Ross' albums since her debut to yield more than four hit singles. It reached #5 on the US Billboard 200 album chart, #4 on the US Billboard R&B Album Chart and the Top 10 in the UK. When it was originally issued on February 10, 1976, Diana's second motion picture, "Mahogany" was still in theaters, the Tony-award winning show "An Evening With Diana Ross" was breaking box office records on Broadway, and Billboard magazine named her "Artist Of The Century". Two singles from "Diana Ross" became #1 hits: "Theme from Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)" [[also included on the Mahogany soundtrack), and the disco anthem, "Love Hangover". Two further single releases - "One Love In My Lifetime" and "I Thought It Took A Liitle Time [[But Today I Fell In Love)" also charted [[#25 and #47 Pop, respectively).

Alternate vocals have been found for all nine tracks of the original LP, along with previously missing verses from many tracks and tracks that have never been released. No mention has been made yet what those unreleased tracks will be, though one inclusion might be "Don't Leave Me This Way," which producer Hal Davis cut on Diana [[the same backing track used for the eventual Thelma Houston release).

More info to follow...

Now this sounds like it's gonna be a good album!!!!!!
Can't wait!

dba
11-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks R Mark for tracking down that Rolling Stone article. I remembered something about a "second" album being recorded around the time of BIM but didn't want to post about something without ALL the facts. Looks like we will have some rarities to look forward to in January!

R. Mark Desjardins
11-26-2011, 03:35 PM
I went back to the photocopied sheet of the microfilm copy of the August 1977 Rolling Stone feature I tracked down and have this nugget to add. Diana is in Richard Perry's studio and has just completed recording "All Night Lover." Ben Fong-Torres writes:

She spends more than an hour on the tune, breaking only once for a few puffs of a More cigarette. "This is the old, old sound," she says. "The Motown Sound." After finishing the track, she sits patiently while Perry plays demos of songs he wants her to consider. She is mostly noncommital, and rejects one song because "it kind of reminds me of yesterday, of the the Rolling Stones kind of song. I can hear Mick..." She listens to her version of Stevie Wonder's "Too Shy To Say," to which Perry has just added strings the night before. "That was a good one," she says, "very nice," and picks up her canvas tote bag..... and heads towards Perry's office.

This article is a real time capsule and paints a wonderful picture. It is too bad that no one ever gave thought to documenting these magic moments on film.

skooldem1
11-26-2011, 03:49 PM
I remember reading once that there was a documentary, behind the scene type of thing surrounding the making of "Baby its Me". Can any verify if this is true? I am looking forward to Diana Ross 76. This sounds like a real good one.

R. Mark Desjardins
11-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Bokiluis;
Just read your comment concerning Diana's recording "Blue" and the soundtrack to "Lady Sings The BLues." At the onset of the recording sessions for "Lady" Gil Askey was the project's musical supervisor and prepared some test recordings. Evidently Berry Gordy was so concerned that Diana had immersed herself too much into Billie Holiday's sound, that he requested she put more of her own musical personality into the recordings. I was very fortunate to have heard a copy of an acetate of these early sessions. How this acetate survived, or got out of the Motown Studio is a mystery, but these recordings, though certainly not pristine in audio quality, are wonderful, and totally demonstrate how immersed Diana was in this project. Askey is heard counting down the small band, and after her first take of "Don't Explain" Ross states "this could be much better......." Hopefully a remastered version of these treasures will be unearthed and given broader exposure!

These recordings are unreleased versions of "Crazy He Calls Me," "What A Little Moonlight Can Do," "The Man I Love," "Don't Explain," "Tain't Nobody's Business If I Do," "Lover Man [[Oh Where Can You Be," "Good Morning Heartache," "I Cried For You," and a second take of "Don't Explain" notated "Rubato version."

redlabs
11-26-2011, 11:13 PM
i am looking forward to this album. never knew she recorded DONT LEAVE ME THIS WAY, thought that was just a rumour. thanks for all the info!

hwume
11-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Andy and George will have a better assessment of the session[[s), but although Diana Ross was assigned the song, she did not record vocals to "Don't Leave Me This Way."

stephanie
11-27-2011, 03:19 AM
Marv
I agree with your assessment of Ross and her voice this album [[with most of her Motown output) was Ross at her best. I like some of the RCA songs [[very few) but even Everything is Everything she showed her vocal chops especially on My Place! Any fool could see All Night Lover would have been a hit I dont know why they didnt pick that one. One thing I have to give Motown when it came to using her face on album covers they knew how to make her look good but when I look at the RCA covers she looks drugged up, or airbrushed. To this day when it comes to RCA I will never understand why Chain Reaction was not a huge hit here in America like it was overseas. The RCA albums with the exception of the hits are hard to listen to because they sound like nothing but filler. I have to say one of the Ross albums I listened to the most was this one and Last Time I Saw Him. Who couldnt listen to Stone Liberty and I Heard a Love Song [[But you never made a sound). Great album cover with the red lighting.

redlabs
11-27-2011, 10:26 AM
funny.LAST TIME I SAW HIM was my least favorite album,...which seemed to have nothing but filler on it.
i agree with your assessment on CHAIN REACTION and i still cant believe it wasnt a hit. but i will say the same about I'M STILL WAITING,TODAY I FELL IN LOVE,TAKE ME HIGHER CD ,THE FORCE BEHIND...CD.
i also think ALL NIGHT LOVER was single potential. i would have released it.
the ROSS 78 and TO LOVE AGAIN albums seemed like lost oppertunities. with all the unreleased stuff in the vaults both contained previously released material. they could have taken both albums and put them together for one really good album if they used only the new material.imo.

redlabs
11-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Harry,thanks for clearing that up. thought that was odd that a great song like that wasnt released on Diana. i did hear she traded the song for DO YOU KNOW WHERE....??????
cant wait, this is my favorite Ross lp

kenneth
11-27-2011, 10:50 AM
this was commercially released and is still available?

The first "Diana Ross" expanded edition was not a Hip-O release, but is still available as a CD-R on Amazon. The "Time and Love" is the same backing track as that on the Supremes "Touch" track. I like the album but the Bones Howe tracks, to me, are not really her kind of material. Here is its blurb:

The only surprise in Diana Ross forging a solo career outside the Supremes [[http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/55281/$%7B0%7D) is how long she waited to do it. Her 1970 debut shrewdly capitalized on her former band's spectacular string of successes at the same time that it carved out a niche for Ross as one of modern pop's most formidable divas. That not inconsiderable task of reinvention fell to the songwriting/production team of Ashford & Simpson [[http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/44332/$%7B0%7D), who constructed a musical framework that traded freely on the sheer dynamics and dramatic potential of Ross's voice on tracks like "Reach Out and Touch Somebody's Hand" and the massive No. 1 hit "Ain't No Mountain High Enough." Loose, light, and occasionally neo-spiritual, it's an album that's almost daringly free of Motown history and clichιs, right down to its cover imagery. This digitally remastered edition features a wealth of bonus tracks that include four from the album's first [[aborted) sessions with producer Bones Howe--including Laura Nyro [[http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/69764/$%7B0%7D)'s "Stoney End," a hit for Streisand [[http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/69759/$%7B0%7D) shortly thereafter--that give an intriguing glimpse of the somewhat jazzier and even more pop-oriented album that might have been. Also included are alternate mixes of "Ain't No Mountain" and "These Things Will Keep Me Loving You," an alternate vocal take of "Now There's You" that underscores the subtleties of Ross's technique, and a showy, unreleased live version of the album's "Something on My Mind" from one of the diva's first 1970 solo performances. --Jerry McCulley

smark21
11-27-2011, 03:27 PM
I wonder if the entire "Let's see if Diana Ross can do it on her own" show was recorded? That would be a release Diana Ross fans would buy.

Jimi LaLumia
11-27-2011, 06:42 PM
what label released the expanded DIANA ROSS if it wasn't Hip O? do they not have the rights[[Hip-O) to issue it?

pj1
11-27-2011, 07:14 PM
what label released the expanded DIANA ROSS if it wasn't Hip O? do they not have the rights[[Hip-O) to issue it?

The Motown label-
In 2002, Motown started a Motown Classic Albums, Remastered & Revisited series, available in stores. In addition to the "Diana Ross" album, Commodores "Live", Smokey Robinson & the Miracles "Going To A Go-Go/Away We A Go-Go" and the Supremes " Sing Rogers & Hart: The Complete Recordings" were issued.

kenneth
11-27-2011, 07:20 PM
The Motown label-
In 2002, Motown started a Motown Classic Albums, Remastered & Revisited series, available in stores. In addition to the "Diana Ross" album, Commodores "Live", Smokey Robinson & the Miracles "Going To A Go-Go/Away We A Go-Go" and the Supremes " Sing Rogers & Hart: The Complete Recordings" were issued.

I'm sure Hip-O would have done a much finer job on it, with much more than just the 4 unreleased tracks and a couple alternates. I like this album, and actually I like it much more now than when it first came out, though I don't consider it amongst her best.

Comparatively speaking, the Hip-O releases of "Touch Me in the Morning" and "Last Time I saw Him" are fantastic pieces and full of real gems.

I do like the Motown reissue of "To Love Again," which includes many of her middle Motown period work; again, not a lot that were new at the time but still a great collection of ballads, which I think also includes a version of "Touch Me in the Morning," to me her finest vocal ever.

Jimi LaLumia
11-27-2011, 07:36 PM
well, Hip-O should re reissue it their way, Motown fans are quite used to multiple re releases of classic albums, this would not be a shocker, and would be most welcome

kenneth
11-27-2011, 08:13 PM
well, Hip-O should re reissue it their way, Motown fans are quite used to multiple re releases of classic albums, this would not be a shocker, and would be most welcome

Jimi, I do agree...K

wedgeville
11-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Four of my top 5 Diana Ross albums [["Diana Ross 70", "Surrender", "Everything Is Everything", and "Touch Me In The Morning"), have already been expanded, so it'll be nice to get my 5th [["Diana Ross 76"). Really looking forward to this.
It'd also be nice if they included Thelma's version of "Theme From Mahogany", just like they included "Surrender" By Val on the extended "Surrender" set.
Then, I too would like to see the "Baby It's Me" get the same treatment. I'd also like the "Ross" set, but not sure that'll happen.

Wayne

pj1
11-29-2011, 08:14 PM
From today's MusicTap:

Hip-O Select plan the release of Diana Ross [[1976): Special Edition on CD for January 31.

whitesoxx
12-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Any hints that HW could give us by chance, like if it's going to be a single or double cd release? :-)

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
12-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Here you go guys. It's available for pre-order :p
http://www.amazon.com/Diana-Ross-Special/dp/B006ISJQ3K/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1323542269&sr=1-1

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
12-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Any hints that HW could give us by chance, like if it's going to be a single or double cd release? :-)

In the More Hits By The Supremes booklet it says the Diana Ross expanded edition is a 2-CD set! :)

jobeterob
12-10-2011, 07:16 PM
Diana Ross [[1976): Special Edition
Diana Ross [[Artist) | Format: Audio CD
Like 1323558941 false 0 0 0 0 [[0)
Price: $27.23 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details
Deal Price:
Special Offers Available
Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

This title will be released on January 31, 2012.
Pre-order now!
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Ordering for Christmas? This item has a future release date and will arrive after December 25.

Find Holiday Music and Great Gift Ideas
Explore the Music Gift Store, featuring Holiday Music [[CD | MP3), Greatest Hits Collections [[CD | MP3), Box Sets, Deluxe Editions, and more.
› See more product promotions

Sugarchilehoneybaby
12-25-2011, 05:19 AM
Yippee!

Tracks

Disc 1

Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)

I Thought It Took a Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love)

Love Hangover

Kiss Me Now

You're Good My Child

One Love In My Lifetime

Ain't Nothin' But a Maybe

After You

Smile

Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right

Together

I Thought It Took a Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love) [Single Version]

Love Hangover [Single Version]

One Love In My Lifetime [Single Version]

To Love Again [Alternate Version]

We're Always Saying Goodbye [Alternate Version]

This Christmas [Alternate Version]

Coming Home [Stereo Mix]

Disc 2

Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To) [Alternate Version]

I Thought It Took a Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love) [Alternate Version]

Love Hangover [Alternate Version #1]

Kiss Me Now [Alternate Version]

You're Good My Child [Alternate Version]

One Love In My Lifetime [Alternate Version]

Ain't Nothin' But a Maybe [Alternate Version]

After You [Alternate Version]

Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right [Alternate Version]

Together [Alternate Version]

Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To) [Alternate Version #2]

Harmony

Le Lo Li

Go Where Your Mind is

Diana Ross Interview [Excerpted]

carlo
12-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Thank you SugarChile! Looks promising! :) I wonder if "Together" and "Sorry Doesn't Make It Right" are the 1978 remix versions from the Ross album? Maybe these were included because those are the only two tracks from that album that we still don't have on CD? Now we can make our own "Ross" Expanded Edition :) The original unreleased tracks look interesting!

redlabs
12-25-2011, 12:49 PM
darn ,i was hoping for the track WHERE DID WE GO WRONG from the Ross 78. not sure if TOGETHER fits this album. thought that was an out take from LAST TIME I SAW HIM??

redlabs
12-25-2011, 12:50 PM
thank you Sugar,....nice christmas treat this morning! heard about Harmony track, me thinks its a Elton John song

carlo
12-25-2011, 01:01 PM
darn ,i was hoping for the track WHERE DID WE GO WRONG from the Ross 78. not sure if TOGETHER fits this album. thought that was an out take from LAST TIME I SAW HIM??

Here I thought that the 1978 remix of Where Did We Go Wrong had already been released on CD somewhere, but I was checking and it doesn't look like it has. Together is from Last Time I Saw Him, but then it was remixed and included on Ross 1978. The '73 and '78 versions have always sounded the same to me, but it's also been a while since I've listened to the '78 LP...

Glenpwood
12-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Is Le Lo Li a Sly Stone cover? Wouldnt have been on my radar as a song for Diana to cover. Harmony is a cover of the Elton John song according to the discography in the last Taraborelli bio of Ross. Was considered for inclusion in Ross 78 though its recording date must be from this era. Together was mixed for the Mahogany soundtrack which was going to have several Michael Masser pieces but that idea got scrapped and most those songs were shifted onto this album instead. They must have some great unreleased songs or a lot of alternates in the vault for the Ross 78 album to put those songs on here as alternates..... I cannot wait to get this....

carlo
12-25-2011, 10:05 PM
At first, I raised my eyebrow when I saw that "Coming Home" and "This Christmas" were being included on this release. But I guess it would make the most sense to include them with this album. This Christmas is from '74, so it wouldn't have made sense to include it with LTISH Expanded or TMITM Expanded. I think Coming Home is from '74-ish as well...

Sugarchilehoneybaby
12-26-2011, 06:49 AM
Here I thought that the 1978 remix of Where Did We Go Wrong had already been released on CD somewhere, but I was checking and it doesn't look like it has. Together is from Last Time I Saw Him, but then it was remixed and included on Ross 1978. The '73 and '78 versions have always sounded the same to me, but it's also been a while since I've listened to the '78 LP...

To my ears, they're [[the two mixes of "Together") very different. I prefer the Ross '78 mix, as it took out the flutes. I can't stand flutes, except in "Sparkle" from 'The Boss'. :)

You're correct that "Where Did We Go Wrong" '78 mix has still not appeared on CD anywhere. I always felt it rightly deserved a place on the 'To Love Again' expanded edition.

And....the Ross '78 remix of "Reach Out, I'll Be There" has yet to make its CD debut. I love this mix of the song.

rovereab
12-26-2011, 07:06 AM
This is going to be a great start to 2012.

It looks like we are not getting a Diana Ross vocal of Don't Leave Me This way but in any case the track list looks superb.

soulster
12-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Good list. I see she even covers a Sly Stone song. I'll buy this.

redlabs
12-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Diana never recorded a vocal for DONT LEAVE ME THIS WAY,darn.

whitesoxx
12-27-2011, 10:04 AM
I also wonder why "Where Did We Go Wrong" won't be on this cd. It won't be right for an expanded "Baby It's Me" and I seriously doubt there will be an expanded "Ross", but then again, you never know... Maybe someone from UME can shed some light?

redlabs
12-27-2011, 01:07 PM
yeah, i was under the impression that many of the songs on ROSS were leftovers from these recording sessions.maybe not. still looking forward to this cd sinc ethis was the first album i bought. when i heard LOVE HANGOVER in the summer of 76, i remember thinking ...that song, that voice! gotta have the album.it's been one of my favorites ever since along with BABY IT'S ME.

berry101
01-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Hi
Think I just discovered the track listing for Diana expanded...
Artist:Diana Ross [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/search.results?Ntk=primary&searchString=Diana Ross)Format: CD
Year: 2012
Number of Discs: 2
UPC: 602527843490
Item Number: MTN784349
Release date: 02/21/2012

1. Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To)
2. I Thought It Took a Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love)
3. Love Hangover
4. Kiss Me Now
5. You're Good My Child
6. One Love In My Lifetime
7. Ain't Nothin' But a Maybe
8. After You
9. Smile
10. Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right [Bonus Track]
11. Together [Bonus Track]
12. I Thought It Took a Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love) [Single Vers
13. Love Hangover [Single Version] [Bonus Track][Version]
14. One Love In My Lifetime [Single Version] [Bonus Track][Version]
15. To Love Again [Alternate Version] [Alternate Take][Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]
16. We're Always Saying Goodbye [Alternate Version] [Alternate Take][Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]
17. This Christmas [Alternate Version] [Alternate Take][Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]

18. Coming Home [Stereo Mix] [Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]
1. Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To) [Alternate Vers
2. I Thought It Took a Little Time [[But Today I Fell In Love) [Alternate V
3. Love Hangover [Alternate Version #1] [Alternate Take][Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]
4. Kiss Me Now [Alternate Version] [Alternate Take][Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]
5. You're Good My Child [Alternate Version] [Alternate Take][Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]
6. One Love In My Lifetime [Alternate Version] [Alternate Take][Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]
7. Ain't Nothin' But a Maybe [Alternate Version] [Alternate Take][Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]
8. After You [Alternate Version] [Alternate Take][Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]
9. Sorry Doesn't Always Make It Right [Alternate Version] [Alternate Take]
10. Together [Alternate Version] [Alternate Take][Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]
11. Theme From Mahogany [[Do You Know Where You're Going To) [Alternate Vers
12. Harmony [Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]
13. Le Lo Li [Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]
14. Go Where Yor Mind is [Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]
15. Diana Ross Interview [Excerpted] [Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]

Glenpwood
01-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Since Berry101's track listing has a Feb 21st release date and it's still not listed on Hip-o's website for presale is it safe to assume it's been bumped until then?

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
01-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Since Berry101's track listing has a Feb 21st release date and it's still not listed on Hip-o's website for presale is it safe to assume it's been bumped until then?I just got an e-mail from amazon.com saying the date has been changed to February 21st.

Glenpwood
01-01-2012, 05:43 PM
I think this sums the news up for me nicely.....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggg hhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

[[Sorry I just had to vent like when Charlie Brown gets the football taken by Lucy at the last second) hehe

selinasian
01-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Can't wait to hear Le lo li. Sounds like a lost classic!

Sugarchilehoneybaby
01-05-2012, 12:10 AM
Can't wait to hear Le lo li. Sounds like a lost classic!

I know rite? I have a feeling I'm going to like that one a lot! It probably was too funky for Berry Gordy's taste and left off for being not MOR enough.

jack020
01-20-2012, 03:30 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diana-Ross/dp/B006ISJQ3K/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_1

Dropping to £12.10 !

redlabs
01-25-2012, 11:46 AM
I'M STILL WAITING lol sorry i had to since this was delayed.lookin 4ward to this

Constantin
01-25-2012, 12:06 PM
3. Love Hangover [Alternate Version #1] [Alternate Take][Previously Unreleased][Bonus Track]

Why "Alternate Version #1"?*Apparently it's the only one here...

Sugarchilehoneybaby
01-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Why "Alternate Version #1"?*Apparently it's the only one here...

I'm hoping that this "alternate #1" will contain portions of the lost background vocals [["I don't want want want no cure cure cure for this") BUT mastered pristinely, unlike the shoddy bootleg-sounding mix on 'diana DELUXE'!!!!

uptight
01-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Constantin, "alternate" number [[#) can refer to a numbering system used in-house, not necessarily the versions on a released CD track listing. For example, a studio engineer in 1976 can label the mixes of a song all on one tape box in preparation for an upcoming quality control meeting. Then they can vote on which number is best for release.

rovereab
01-29-2012, 06:29 AM
I'm hoping that this "alternate #1" will contain portions of the lost background vocals [["I don't want want want no cure cure cure for this") BUT mastered pristinely, unlike the shoddy bootleg-sounding mix on 'diana DELUXE'!!!!

I so hope this is the case too!

Sugarchilehoneybaby
02-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Got it this morning - gagging on it as we speak!!

Absolutely love everything about this package. I'm glad the digipack isn't quite as glossy as LTISH, as that one really has shown quite a bit of wear, being black and shiny and all [[of course I've played it to death!)

The vaults tracks are very nice, but not spectacular - but they are vaults tracks, after all. My favorite is "Harmony". It's a crystal-clear, pristine vocal and production, though there isn't as much emotion invested in it as Ross usually gave.

The alternate versions are AMONG THE BEST ANDY & HARRY HAVE EVER GIVEN US. I don't care if they were newly-mixed or whatnot; they are fantastic. There are additional instruments utilized that were left off the original mixes that really make these pop. And these are not throw-away vocal takes; these are for the most part, just as good [[if perhaps not as MOR as BG would have wanted the singles to be.) I love the extended new mix of "Kiss Me Now"! Wonderful stuff.

And the interview is delightful! Miss Ross talks all about motherhood, including a bit of the story behind the now-beloved masterpiece 'To The Baby'. She also talks about the songs on the Black Album, and great tidbits of the early days in the Supremes and Primettes, very complimentary towards Mary and Florence. The liner notes don't reveal as much as the interview does, actually!

Andy-Harry-George-Kevin: THANK YOU for another Ross treasure!!! 5 STARS.

hobocamp
02-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Just got mine today as well, and put it on a few minutes ago. Can't wait to get to the alternate mixes and unreleased tracks.

One sentence in the wonderfully-done notes makes one's mouth water: "Diana is then put in the studio with Steview Wonder in July 1974, but note of those recordings makes it out of Stevie's personal vault."

I can only imagine what those might have been like.

Glenpwood
02-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Im simultaneously jealous and pissed since I paid for rush shipping from Hip-o. It better show tomorrow or i'll be slapping folks like I'm on the set of Mahogany;)

skooldem1
02-06-2012, 08:31 PM
Those that have received this CD, where did you get it? Hipo or Amazon?

hobocamp
02-06-2012, 08:39 PM
I ordered mine from Hipo.

soulster
02-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Question for any of the audiophiles here: how's the sound, and did they brickwall the CD?

Sugarchilehoneybaby
02-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Question for any of the audiophiles here: how's the sound, and did they brickwall the CD?

Great question. Let me put it this way: if I hadn't read the liner notes and saw "remastered by Kevin Reeves", I would have sworn this was the work of Bill Inglot and Dan Hersch. :) No brickwall at all! I pulled it up in SoundForge to check [[and already made my own re-edited medley of "Le Lo Li/Go Where Your Mind Is") :p

And I ordered mine through Hip-O, regular shipping. Had it at 9:30 a.m.~

Sugarchilehoneybaby
02-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Just got mine today as well, and put it on a few minutes ago. Can't wait to get to the alternate mixes and unreleased tracks.

One sentence in the wonderfully-done notes makes one's mouth water: "Diana is then put in the studio with Steview Wonder in July 1974, but note of those recordings makes it out of Stevie's personal vault."

I can only imagine what those might have been like.

I drooled on that too, Hobo! I pretty much read that sentence to mean that there are indeed Stevie-produced tracks with Ross vocals laid on them. The exist, but are in Stevie's control so no one can touch them. Right? [[Let's hope there's a "Lately" in there!) :)

The only possible thing that makes me doubt it on the other hand, is Diana's interview on Arsenio Hall when she debuted "The Force Behind The Power" and told Arsenio it was the first song that Stevie wrote just for her. She said "I will do his songs, but as remakes" [[likely referring to 'Too Shy To Say' and 'Blame It On The Sun'.)

hobocamp
02-06-2012, 10:11 PM
I suppose you're right Super. Now that you mention it I do remember her saying something on Arsenio about Force being the first song he'd written for her. So probably what's in his possession are covers she sang. But still - I'd love to hear her take on something like Come Back as a Flower, or as you said, Lately.

BayouMotownMan
02-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Ross also did Ribbon In The Sky for a while in her act.

Roberta75
02-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Ross also did Ribbon In The Sky for a while in her act.

She also had "Blame it on the Sun" in her act in the early to mid 90's and sang it beautifully live.

Roberta

atcsm
02-07-2012, 12:04 AM
"Overjoyed" from 1994 A Very Special Season is Diana at her best...

She also had "Blame it on the Sun" in her act in the early to mid 90's and sang it beautifully live.

Roberta

rovereab
02-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Perhaps it's the right time for a "Diana Sings Stevie" album......... perhaps including Diana & Stevie duet or two.

soulster
02-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Great question. Let me put it this way: if I hadn't read the liner notes and saw "remastered by Kevin Reeves", I would have sworn this was the work of Bill Inglot and Dan Hersch. :) No brickwall at all! I pulled it up in SoundForge to check [[and already made my own re-edited medley of "Le Lo Li/Go Where Your Mind Is") :p

That sounds great! Except that Bill Inglot is fond of boosting the treble, although he didn't do that with the Motown or the Stax material he worked on.

I will probably pick this one up tomorrow if my car repairs don't set me back much.

Glenpwood
02-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Wow! Just Wow! This is an amazing album to begin with but presented this way with all the bonus material and alternates it just goes to a higher level I didnt know existed! If you havent bought this yet run to Hipo or Amazon and order it immediately. If you have to skip a few meals or eat Ramen noodles with the lights off to make up for the expense of it, trust me its worth it! Youll be less hungry from losing the inches off your waist from dancing to Love Hangover anyway hehe. ;)

soulster
02-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Wow! Just Wow! This is an amazing album to begin with but presented this way with all the bonus material and alternates it just goes to a higher level I didnt know existed! If you havent bought this yet run to Hipo or Amazon and order it immediately. If you have to skip a few meals or eat Ramen noodles with the lights off to make up for the expense of it, trust me its worth it! Youll be less hungry from losing the inches off your waist from dancing to Love Hangover anyway hehe. ;)

Actually, it's only $23 at Amazon.

redlabs
02-08-2012, 11:38 AM
just got my Black album/cd and i ahve been palying it non stop. i think this one will remain in my cd player for a while, it is the first DR album i ever bought and remains one of my all time favs. love the alt mixs.
great job Andy , Harry, Kevin and all that are responsible for this project.love it

Constantin
02-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Amazon.com Best Sellers Rank:#195 in Music
inMusic [[http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-music-albums/zgbs/music/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_1)>R&B [[http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/39/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_2)>Soul [[http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/67186/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_3)>General AAS [[http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/music/1243479011/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_1_4_last)
This title will be released on February 21, 2012.
Amazon.co.uk Bestsellers Rank:424 in Music
inMusic [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/music/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_h__1_1)>Pop [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/music/694208/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_h__1_2)>Pop R&B [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/music/694216/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_h__1_3_last)
inMusic [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/music/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_h__2_1)>R&B and Soul [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/music/754576/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_h__2_2_last)
This title will be released on March 5, 2012.
Amazon.de Bestseller-Rang:Nr. 47.231 in Musik
Derzeit nicht auf Lager.
Nothing on amazon.fr and amazon.it.
Are those rankings reliable since the cd can only be pre-ordered?