PDA

View Full Version : Mary-I am not the leader!Supremes live on Soul Train-Early Morning Love

test

luke
11-07-2011, 08:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_laLq8u6O1c&feature=related I cant hear all of other comments. What did Cindy say?

marv2
11-07-2011, 08:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_laLq8u6O1c&feature=related I cant hear all of other comments. What did Cindy say?

Ok she wasn't the leader [[wink, wink)........but she was the boss! LOL!!!!

luke
11-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Lol--good way to put it!

motony
11-07-2011, 09:21 PM
I'll tell you what, that "Early Morning Love" is one of the BEST records by any 70's Supremes.Mary Wilson did a GREAT job.What a great record why wasn't that an A side release.My brother said they did it on another TV show too.It sounds just like a Hot Wax/Invictus Record which was THE sound during the early-mid 70's.I never really sat down & listened to alot of their stuff at the time b ut I'm really diggin this record.

BayouMotownMan
11-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Early Morning Love received a lot of radio play and, if I recall, was in their act briefly. It wasn't issued as a single likely because Motown didn't want Mary on a full lead. Instead, the Scherrie Payne lead Where Do I Go From Here followed He's My Man

smark21
11-07-2011, 10:12 PM
I'll have to disagree. I think Early Morning Love is the worst song the Scherrie era Supremes ever recorded. Just a really stupid and tacky song about having sex and I just don't care much for Mary singing the entire lead on an R and B type disco song and at times she sounds shrill trying to hit the high notes.

Jimi LaLumia
11-07-2011, 11:09 PM
the 'turn me over' line was a bit much for 70's Top 40 radio

Roberta75
11-07-2011, 11:09 PM
I'll have to disagree. I think Early Morning Love is the worst song the Scherrie era Supremes ever recorded. Just a really stupid and tacky song about having sex and I just don't care much for Mary singing the entire lead on an R and B type disco song and at times she sounds shrill trying to hit the high notes.

I don't think it is the worst song they ever recorded but it's pretty awful.

marv2
11-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I'll tell you what, that "Early Morning Love" is one of the BEST records by any 70's Supremes.Mary Wilson did a GREAT job.What a great record why wasn't that an A side release.My brother said they did it on another TV show too.It sounds just like a Hot Wax/Invictus Record which was THE sound during the early-mid 70's.I never really sat down & listened to alot of their stuff at the time b ut I'm really diggin this record.

I remember them doing it on "the Merv Griffin Show" and later on "Sammy [[Davis) and Friends".

marv2
11-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Early Morning Love received a lot of radio play and, if I recall, was in their act briefly. It wasn't issued as a single likely because Motown didn't want Mary on a full lead. Instead, the Scherrie Payne lead Where Do I Go From Here followed He's My Man

Which I recall, "Where Do I Go From Here" got NO airplay at least in Detroit. The only time I remember hearing it was on the night after Florence Ballard died, they played it as a tribute to The Supremes and Florence.

juicefree20
11-07-2011, 11:17 PM
I never paid much attention to this song but Mary is in fine voice & I can only imagine how many more hits they could've had had they recorded for Hot wax/Invictus because this is cut right from that cloth.

Thanks for posting this clip Luke, I'd never seen it before.

marv2
11-07-2011, 11:18 PM

It was a really good song. Some people were just not prepared to hear the Supremes singing grown up material even though they were fully grown, sophisticated women by that point. Some people are also just not into sex either, I guess! LOL!!!!

luke
11-07-2011, 11:18 PM
My pleasure juice. Good point per Hot wax...I wonder if HDH made overtures to them.

jillfoster
11-08-2011, 02:39 AM
the 'turn me over' line was a bit much for 70's Top 40 radio

Oh, please. It wasn't too much for no top 40 70's radio. Considering Donna Summer and her orgasms came out that same year, and Patti Labelle was asking some dude to screw her in french... and this song 3 years before that was a top 10 hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voKihZAN4ng

And do I even need to mention how blatant Joe Tex' "I Gotcha" was?

luke
11-08-2011, 10:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDaTEG_138g I had to add this from same show. Is Mary stunning or what!! I think they are at their post Jean peak here. They tear it up and the crowd knows it!!

marv2
11-08-2011, 11:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDaTEG_138g I had to add this from same show. Is Mary stunning or what!! I think they are at their post Jean peak here. They tear it up and the crowd knows it!!

Yes she is! Even more amazing is that was 36 years ago and she is still out there doing it!!!!

motony
11-08-2011, 02:29 PM
who wrote & produced "Early Morning Love" ?as someone who was never a big Supremes fan, this is up there with "Stone Love" as far as sounding like a 70's hit.Maybe because it doesn't sound like a typical Supremes record is why I'm liking it so much. I love Scherrie Payne, but Mary should have done more leads like this.H-D-H [[HotWax/Invictus) would have not had advance money to get the Supremes, but they knew that Motown would have squashed the Supremes being a hit on any other label.

smark21
11-08-2011, 09:20 PM
who wrote & produced "Early Morning Love" ?as someone who was never a big Supremes fan, this is up there with "Stone Love" as far as sounding like a 70's hit.Maybe because it doesn't sound like a typical Supremes record is why I'm liking it so much. I love Scherrie Payne, but Mary should have done more leads like this.H-D-H [[HotWax/Invictus) would have not had advance money to get the Supremes, but they knew that Motown would have squashed the Supremes being a hit on any other label.

The Holland Brothers and Harold Beatty wrote and produced Early Morning Love. I much prefer the other song they produced that made it to the Supremes 75 album, Where Do I Go From Here.

motony
11-08-2011, 11:04 PM
so Hot Wax/Invictus musta bit the dust by this time still I think they captured Marys voice in fine form