PDA

View Full Version : Unseen picture of Martha Reeves & The Vandellas 1968

test

cheekylincs
11-07-2011, 07:18 PM

Taken in Manchester UK in 1968 and wanted to share it with you guys

bradsupremes
11-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Wow! Great picture, although the picture has to be from 1966 or 1967 as Betty Kelly is present. Lois Reeves, her replacement, joined the group in late 1967.

motony
11-07-2011, 09:02 PM
right, bradsupremes.I remember a Jet Magazine with those outfits on the cover, I think.Thanks for posting this pic as I love LIVE shots.

RossHolloway
11-08-2011, 09:25 AM
I thought Lois didn't join the group until '68?

motony
11-08-2011, 10:28 AM
I think Lois replaced Betty in Sept. of '67

bradsupremes
11-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Lois joined the group in September, 1967. The first single that she's featured on is "Honey Chile."

captainjames
11-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Great shot I love it
I always called those the "Billie Holiday" microphones.

cheekylincs
11-08-2011, 11:28 AM
The back of the photograph has a date stamp from the photographer of 1968 on it which would suggest it was developed or taken in 1968 but you're all absolutely right..........Betty left the Vandellas in September 1967 so photographer must have held onto the photograph a little while before having it developed [[unless of course it's just got the wrong year on it anyway)

Nevertheless I'm really pleased to have this picture........they all look great!

bankhousedave
11-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Brilliant pic, and wonderful dresses. Maybe just as well they didn't have much room to move on that stage.

RossHolloway
11-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Can anyone give more details of why Betty Kelly left the group? I think Martha said there was conflict with her and Betty, but can anyone elaborate? Has Betty ever talked publicly about why she left? Or has Rosalind ever spoke of what happened?

marv2
11-08-2011, 11:45 AM
right, bradsupremes.I remember a Jet Magazine with those outfits on the cover, I think.Thanks for posting this pic as I love LIVE shots.

That's what I was thinking too when I first saw this pic.

carlo
11-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Can anyone give more details of why Betty Kelly left the group? I think Martha said there was conflict with her and Betty, but can anyone elaborate? Has Betty ever talked publicly about why she left? Or has Rosalind ever spoke of what happened?

Martha talks about it in her book. I can't remember the exact details, but it sounded like Betty was getting rebellious/disobedient. There might have been a bit of jealousy involved. Martha said Betty started "defying her" onstage...some of her choreography was evolving into sloppy karate chop-looking moves and things like that. So Martha fired her.

marv2
11-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Martha talks about it in her book. I can't remember the exact details, but it sounded like Betty was getting rebellious/disobedient. There might have been a bit of jealousy involved. Martha said Betty started "defying her" onstage...some of her choreography was evolving into sloppy karate chop-looking moves and things like that. So Martha fired her.

Carlo, you have it right. There was a mixture of those things plus the fact that Betty was quite popular with the guys and dating a lot.

bradsupremes
11-08-2011, 12:42 PM
One of the things that puzzled me is Rosalind Ashford's exit from the group in 1969. I've heard some say that she left the group and decided not to return after Martha had her breakdown, but I've heard others say that she was fired. What happened there? I've had a hard time believing that Martha would fire her. After all, Rosalind was in the Del-Phi's before Martha joined and was an anchor in the Vandellas. It doesn't seem like Martha could get rid of her as easily if she wanted because she was a founding member. To me, the Vandellas ended when Rosalind left. Nothing against the talents of Sandra and Lois, but it was now all Martha's control. With Rosalind around, she was still that link to early days when they were a true group.

carlo
11-08-2011, 12:48 PM
I think Martha fired Rosalind too??

motony
11-08-2011, 12:56 PM
from what I remember, Roz was dating Chico Edwards who had been one of the Spinners & when he was no longer in the Spinners he started traveling with the Vandellas & giving his input into the shows which was not appreciated. Now thats just one side of the story, Ive never asked Rosalind about it.

marv2
11-08-2011, 01:18 PM
I think Martha fired Rosalind too??

Yeah. Martha fired Roz. Roz did not fight it, because who wants to sing with anyone that you're not getting along with?

marv2
11-08-2011, 01:19 PM
from what I remember, Roz was dating Chico Edwards who had been one of the Spinners & when he was no longer in the Spinners he started traveling with the Vandellas & giving his input into the shows which was not appreciated. Now thats just one side of the story, Ive never asked Rosalind about it.

Yeah, Roz also use to go with one of Florence Ballard's brothers too earlier on.....back in the day.

marv2
11-08-2011, 01:20 PM
One of the things that puzzled me is Rosalind Ashford's exit from the group in 1969. I've heard some say that she left the group and decided not to return after Martha had her breakdown, but I've heard others say that she was fired. What happened there? I've had a hard time believing that Martha would fire her. After all, Rosalind was in the Del-Phi's before Martha joined and was an anchor in the Vandellas. It doesn't seem like Martha could get rid of her as easily if she wanted because she was a founding member. To me, the Vandellas ended when Rosalind left. Nothing against the talents of Sandra and Lois, but it was now all Martha's control. With Rosalind around, she was still that link to early days when they were a true group.

Betty was going with what's his name from Little Anthony and the Imperials around the time Martha fired her.

reese
11-08-2011, 01:21 PM
In A TOUCH OF CLASSIC SOUL, Rosalind says that she was called to the Motown offices and told that Martha no longer wanted to sing with her. She says that she was never given a reason why, and was unable to get in touch with Martha to discuss it. They didn't speak again until 1988.

In her book, Martha wrote that Rosalind filed a lawsuit against her after her termination, and won a settlement.

bradsupremes
11-08-2011, 01:59 PM
Wow, poor choice on Martha's part if you ask me. If the Supremes ended in 1967 with the dismissal of Florence Ballard, then the Vandellas ended in 1969 with the dismissal of Rosalind Ashford.

RossHolloway
11-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Does anyone else find this interesting that so much has been written about the termination of Florence Ballard and David Ruffin, but little is known about what really happened with the Vandellas?

floyjoy678
11-08-2011, 03:34 PM
From what I remember in Martha's book she says that Winnie Brown began going out with Martha's boyfriend at the time or something like that and Betty sided with Winnie against Martha in the whole situation and that's when things went down between them. And I think in the book Martha also blames Roz and her boyfriend for giving her drugs which apparently caused her breakdown which eventually led to her firing Roz. The line-up of Martha, Roz and Betty was always my favorite.

carlo
11-08-2011, 03:36 PM
It's a shame that Martha, Rosalind and Annette cannot continue to tour together. They've always seemed to have been on again, off again...

bradsupremes
11-08-2011, 04:27 PM
With Martha's voice in its current condition, I think its best Rosalind and Annette tour on their own.

blueskies
11-08-2011, 04:31 PM
With Martha's voice in its current condition, I think its best Rosalind and Annette tour on their own.

I'd have to agree with you on this one, Brad!

smark21
11-08-2011, 09:22 PM
I remember Martha also mentioning in her autobiography that the situation between she and Betty would have become violent if Betty hadn't been let go.

smark21
11-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Does anyone else find this interesting that so much has been written about the termination of Florence Ballard and David Ruffin, but little is known about what really happened with the Vandellas?

Probably because the Temptations and The Supremes were more popular and Flo and especially David had more distinct personal identities with the public than Betty Kelly or Rosalind Ashford.

robbert
11-08-2011, 09:32 PM
[[Sigh)... Yes, probably, with the emphasis on probably. Cute pic, though.