PDA

View Full Version : bob brady and the con chords anyone seen them play

test

tamla617
08-25-2010, 06:01 PM
i just went looking for them http://funky16corners.tripod.com/13_brady1.htm and this is what i found...
cant believe they're white.i always though it was smokey moonlighting until a few years ago[[really!)
sounds more smokey than smokey
anyone here ever see them?

robb_k
08-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Wow! I didn't know they were a blue-eyed Soul group. I knew they weren't Smokey & The Miracles moonlighting. But, I thought they were a Black group. Naturally, they sounded something like The Miracles, singing a Miracles' song, and having their lead singer sing in falsetto. He sure did a fine job, I must say. But, that's really the only song I liked by them. I heard 3 other cuts on their two singles, [[or was it 5 other cuts on 3 singles?), which I didn't really like. Of course, those other songs weren't written by Smokey and arranged by a Motown arranger [[for The Con Chords' arranger to just copy-to make a "Motownlike recording".

platters81
08-26-2010, 09:16 AM
640 :) a scan of their first 45

jsmith
08-28-2010, 09:53 AM
The people who attended this 1967 show in Baltimore sure as anything saw them play ..........

mark speck
08-28-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm interested in knowing whether there were any other acts on the Chariot label.

Best,

Mark

jsmith
08-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Bob Brady & the Con Chords were formed in East Baltimore in 1965 and Chariot Records was their own label.
I'm guessing that the only releases on the label were theirs.
Bob wasn't the group's original lead singer and the original guy always handled some lead vocals on songs the group tackled [[up until Bob went solo).
They were popular in Baltimore BUT they weren't considered to be the top Baltimore 'blue-eyed' soul group.
That title was usually bestowed on Tommy Vann in conjunction with either the Echoes or the Professionals [[45's on Academy, Capitol & Congress Records). TV & P did well locally with releases such as " Too Young" [[66), "Pretty Flamingo" & ""Does Your Mamma Know About Me" [[69).
The group certainly didn't look too soulful !!!

robb_k
08-28-2010, 08:13 PM
I remember at least one other [[single artist) on that particular Chariot label [[possibly 2). But, I can't remember their name[[s).

davie gordon2
08-28-2010, 09:19 PM
this is a complete listing of the Baltimore-based Chariot label
100 BOB BRADY and THE CON CHORDS
Goodbye Baby / Tell Me Why
local Baltimore issue - red label, black print

100 BOB BRADY and THE CON CHORDS [[Dec 1966)
Goodbye Baby / Tell Me Why
dist. Cameo/Parkway green label, black print

101 BOB BRADY and THE CON CHORDS [[June 1967)
More More More of Your Love / It's a Better World

their only release to chart nationally - made it to #104 on Billboard's bubbling under chart in July 1967. Released in Canada on Reo 8997X

Chariot was initially distributed by Cameo/Parkway but by August 1967 C/P was lurching towards bankrupty so distribution was taken over
by Amy/Mala/Bell

525 BOB BRADY and THE CON CHORDS [[March 1968)
Illusion / I Love You Baby

526 BOB BRADY and THE CON CHORDS [[Aug 1968)
Everybody's Goin' To The Love In / It's Been A Long Time Between Kisses
UK = Bell BLL1025

527 BOB BRADY and THE CON CHORDS [[Jan 1969)
It's Love / Love Is The Master

528 BOB BRADY and THE CON CHORDS [[Oct 1969)
Savin' All My Love For You / Please Stay

There were other labels called Chariot but they are unrelated to the Baltimore firm. All the Bob Brady records were produced by Joe Cash and Brent Gordon.

davie gordon2
08-28-2010, 09:26 PM
Here's an interesting July 1967 chart from station WINW in Canton, OH which has the highest chart placing I've found for any of the group's releases.

I think this is the first chart I've seen that shows daily positions.

davie gordon2
08-28-2010, 09:31 PM
the local Baltimore issue of Chariot 100

jsmith
08-29-2010, 12:48 PM
A fine looking bunch of lads ............

mark speck
08-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Was the Cameo-distributed release of "Goodbye Baby" ever issued with the orange Chariot label, or is that label only on "More, More, More of Your Love"?

Best,

Mark

robb_k
08-29-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember a yellow Cameo Parkway issue of "Goodbye Baby". I hadn't ever seen that green one. The yellow one may have been a Midwest and Western printing, and the green an East coast pressing?

ebono
05-18-2011, 02:03 PM
I was an original member of the Con Chords [[aka The Echoes) and played tenor sax from 1962 to 1965. Brady came in about 6 months before I left. He did not start the group. Jim Samuels brought him into the band to sing with George Layfield. They were very good together and did great version of the Ritcheous Bros. I remember being in the studio cutting a demo of Good Bye Baby and another song in 1965. The record came out the following year. We were very popular before Brady but he and Samuel wanted to go big-time and broke us up. I and the original guitar player left the group as did the trumpet player later on. They did well for a number of years but were never a premier group.

oldiesmusicfan
05-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Jsmith - I can't get any of your attachment photos to open.

GREAT survey Davie! Here's the same survey in the regular weekly format from the ARSA site -

http://www.las-solanas.com/arsa//surveys_item.php?svid=8323

And here's another from Philly from that same week, with Bob Brady at #27.

http://www.las-solanas.com/arsa//surveys_item.php?svid=6913

Just a week or so ago, I mentioned on another thread that More More More Of Your Love was a huge hit on the east coast, while only making it to #104 nationally as you said. I wondered at the time how high it climbed in Baltimore.

Oldies