PDA

View Full Version : Marvelettes Forever More - Volume 2 available for preorder at Amazon.com

test

vcq
11-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Marvelettes Vol. 2-Forever More: Complete Motown Albums is available for preorder at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Vol-2-Forever-More-Complete-Motown/dp/B005ZHB94Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320267674&sr=8-1

No tracklisting yet.

The release date is Dec. 13.

Cheers,

VCQ

RossHolloway
11-02-2011, 05:07 PM
That's only 41 days from now! Great news!!

copley
11-02-2011, 06:14 PM
It's been on Amazon UK & US for a few days now. I'll await official confirmation from Hip-O re the release date.

johnjeb
11-02-2011, 06:17 PM
It's been on Amazon UK & US for a few days now. I'll await official confirmation from Hip-O re the release date.

Yeah, especially since More Hits has stalled at the gate.

woodward
11-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Looks very exciting. By looking at the Amazon.com website, I saw that the cost is a mere $66.93 including free shipping. This isn't bad for a 4 CD release. A total of 108 songs are included including 25 unreleased. Covers the final 4 albums. The last disc of the set includes 24 "lost and found" songs. A 40 page booklet is included with many photos, etc. Wow, a super nice Christmas gift for all Marvelettes fans.

RossHolloway
11-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Amazon's Editorial Review:

The final albums in a storied career, plus 25 unreleased tracks!
When, in 1961, the Marvelettes climbed to the top of the national pop charts with their first single, "Please Mr. Postman," they brought Motown with them, helping to establish the little label from Detroit. That first phase of the group's career was thoroughly chronicled in Forever: The Complete Motown Albums Vol. 1, a 3-CD limited edition set that brought together the group's first six albums and every stray single, B-side and rarity from the early era. Now, Forever More: The Complete Motown Albums Vol. 2 collects the group's highly sought-after, final four albums, originally released 1967-1970The Marvelettes [[a/k/a "The Pink Album"), Sophisticated Soul, In Full Bloom and The Return Of The Marvelettesand more of the non-LP singles, B-sides and rarities issued on various compilations. Featured in the set are the group's best-known songs from the era, including the chart hits "The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game," "When You're Young And In Love," "My Baby Must Be A Magician," "Here I Am Baby" and "That's How Heartaches Are Made," as well as fans' favorite album tracks. But that's not all: the set also includes a fourth disc of 24 "Lost & Found" Marvelettes tracks from the Motown vaults, featuring never-before-heard songs written and produced by Smokey Robinson, Norman Whitfield, Mickey Stevenson, Johnny Bristol and more. These "vault gems" are from the group's entire career, 1961-70, and each one begs the question: "How come this didn't come out?" Other rarities: an unreleased, extended mix of "When You're Young And In Love," with a spoken intro; the long Anthology LP version of "The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game;" a U.K.-only version of the LP track "I'm Gonna Hold On Long As I Can," with an extended intro; and various vault tracks, like "Love Is Good" and "Poor Little Rich Girl," found on U.K. CD releases in recent years. And, for serious fans, included are the extremely rare mono versions of the albums The Marvelettes and Sophisticated Soul; the latter was never issued commercially. The 108 songs featured in the 4-CD Forever More: The Complete Motown Albums Vol. 2 are housed in a beautifully designed digi-pak in keeping with the look and size of Vol. 1, with a 40-page booklet stuffed with gorgeous, rare [[and classic) photos, reproductions of the original LP artwork, detailed track annotations, and an essay by Motown chronicler Stu Hackel.

cheekylincs
11-03-2011, 10:08 AM
This is really exciting news...........I have been checking Soulful Detroit forum everyday for news like this! Can't wait to get my hands on this release

carlo
11-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Sounds awesome!! Very much looking forward to this release. I am very happy to hear that the extended intro version of "I'm Gonna Hold On As Long As I Can" has been included.

tomato tom
11-03-2011, 11:46 AM
I am dead and gone to Heaven..right???? Paulo xxx

bradsupremes
11-03-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm excited for this release! There were so many great overlooked songs from this period and I can't wait to see what the unreleased tracks are.

mr_postman
11-03-2011, 05:39 PM
I can't believe what I'm reading! 25 unreleased tracks? The pink album and Sophisticated Soul in mono? Wow, just wow! I can't come up with no Motown release write-up that have made me so excited as this one. Can't wait for December 13th!

vcq
11-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Ross,

Thanks for posting the Amazon writeup...it wasn't there yesterday! I already preordered...the hard part is waiting!

smark21
11-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Looking forward to this one. I wonder if Katherine or Georgeanna have any leads on any of the unrelease tracks? And maybe another Anne Bogan lead song?

daviddesper
11-04-2011, 12:11 AM
This is indeed astonishing news and will be well worth the wait. I had assumed that since it only covered four albums, it would likely be only a two CD set. Let's keep one another posted on other places it can be ordered, price comparisons, etc.

kenneth
11-04-2011, 12:33 AM
This is indeed astonishing news and will be well worth the wait. I had assumed that since it only covered four albums, it would likely be only a two CD set. Let's keep one another posted on other places it can be ordered, price comparisons, etc.

This looks like an astounding release. I never imagined it would be more than 2 CDs, considering there were only 4 albums to cover, even considering some unreleased tracks. I wondered why the price seemed so high...now it looks like a great buy. I'll be pre-ordering my copy. Wow!

huntergettingcaptured
11-04-2011, 01:17 AM
I was excited hearing about this release.

I was even more excited to see the Amazon.com review.

When I got to the part about the inclusion of the mono mixes of "The Pink Album" AND "Sophisticated Soul" I fell off of my chair. I'm not being cute, I honestly fell off my chair onto the floor and jumped up and did one of the clenched fist dances!!!

This is the ULTIMATE of all of my Motown dreams and it's coming true in ways even beyond my wildest dreams. I remember how on the old Motown board, the question was posed about what everyone would want as a Marvelettes project and the top request was that mono mix of "The Pink Album." It took time, and sometimes I thought the project was pretty much canceled, but as they say, good things come to those who wait and very good things come from everyone involved with Hippo Select!

I always say this, but this time, I'm buying at least two sets of this release. [[then maybe I'll go back for another!)

I'm going to have someone pinch me so I can be certain I'm not dreaming!

kenneth
11-04-2011, 01:38 AM
I was excited hearing about this release.

I was even more excited to see the Amazon.com review.

When I got to the part about the inclusion of the mono mixes of "The Pink Album" AND "Sophisticated Soul" I fell off of my chair. I'm not being cute, I honestly fell off my chair onto the floor and jumped up and did one of the clenched fist dances!!!

This is the ULTIMATE of all of my Motown dreams and it's coming true in ways even beyond my wildest dreams. I remember how on the old Motown board, the question was posed about what everyone would want as a Marvelettes project and the top request was that mono mix of "The Pink Album." It took time, and sometimes I thought the project was pretty much canceled, but as they say, good things come to those who wait and very good things come from everyone involved with Hippo Select!

How right you are! I always felt very lucky because I have the Mono/DJ Promo-only copy of "Sophisticated Soul," which I never knew about until I found it in a used record store back in the 80s. It has a very different sound than the commercial release, a lot more bass and beat. You'll love it, if you've never heard it.

kenneth
11-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Just found what appears to be the track listing for the "Lost and Found" set:

Track Listings

1. Three Months 2. My Baby Won't Come Back 3. I Can't Help It 4. From Now On 5. Don't Fence Me In 6. One Kiss Led To Another 7. You Better Behave 8. Queen Of The Fools 9. Johnny Do Right 10. Dance A While, Cry A While 11. You Better Cool It 12. You Can Bet Your Bottom Dollar 13. The Train That's Bringing My Baby 14. Learning To Forget You 15. You Lost The Sweetest Boy 16. Just One More Kiss [[Before You Leave Me) 17. So Glad It's Summertime 18. There Is No Tomorrow [[Only Tears And Sorrow) 19. Don't Make Hurting Me A Habit Version 1 20. I Can't Wait Till Summer Comes 21. Breakthru [[I've Got My Freedom) 22. When My Love Was Born 23. Why'd You Do It 24. Change Of Heart 25. That's The Way I See Him 26. The Boy From Crosstown Version 1 27. The Boy From Crosstown Version 2 28. Sugar's Never Been As Sweet As You 29. You Ain't Livin' Till You're Lovin'

huntergettingcaptured
11-04-2011, 01:54 AM
Hi Kenneth! Thanks for the hads up on the Sophisticated Soul mono album. I can't wait to hear it! I've always loved the differences in sound [[and sometimes completely different versions) between the stereo and mono albums. I was fourtunate to find a mint condition mono mix of "The Pink Album" years ago and thought it was amazing.

I know the general belief is that Motown ignored the Marvelettes, but it really seems that somebody was trying very hard and took great pains to compile an excellent release for the group with "The Marvelettes" album. The "Sophisticated Soul" album too is fantastic. I actually had to learn to enjoy the "S.S." album, but in time I really came to appreciate it. To me, "Sophisticated Soul" seemed to showcase the group in a different light- "The Marvelettes" was a showcase for the group's new grown-up direction, uptown sounds and all, while "S.S." was the Marvelettes in a more soulful, Motown-funky mode.

Oh this is gonna be a great day when this box set is released!

kenneth
11-04-2011, 01:58 AM
Huntergettingcaptured,

"Sophisticated Soul" was really the first Motown album I played to death, though "The Return of the Marvelettes" ended up being my favorite "Marvelettes" album. [[Of course, I didn't know the irony of the title at the time.)

Even considering the Marvelettes were second stringers at Motown, they had a much longer career and released much more product than any girl groups on other labels. I have always tried to consider that when I [[quite naturally) wished there were more... But compared to Philles Records, the Ronettes had only 1 album [[though they had 1 on another label), I think the Crystals only had 2. The Toys had 1, the Bluebelles had 2 or maybe 3 until they became Labelle, the Royalettes had 2, even the late coming girl groups like the Flirtations I believe only had 1 album. So considering the Marvelettes were around for almost 10 years and released about that many albums is really quite a feat. Likewise for the Vandellas.

I can hardly wait for this release! Wanda Rogers is my all time favorite Motown singer, in case you hadn't guessed.

huntergettingcaptured
11-04-2011, 02:27 AM
Hi Kenneth- you have company: Wanda Rogers is my all time favorite Motown singer too!

I love the point you make here. I used to have a book on Girl Groups and the observation was made that even after the bloom was off the rose for the Girl Group phenomenon, Motown was the only label that was able to keep its girl groups in the charts. That is pretty impressive. You do a great job of underlining the point. If nothing else, Motown did keep a pretty consistent release of quality albums coming out by the Supremes, Martha and the Vandellas and the Marvelettes. Especially impressive is how even after the Marvelettes had pretty much come to an end, Motown still put out an album on the group.

I have a friend who is definitely into progressive rock and groups like Yes, Pink Floyd, Rush and such. What I get a kick out of is that he'll borrow my Motown cds and albums and will really find some interesting observations about the music and singers. One of his favorites is the "Return Of The Marvelettes" album. He likes the music arrangements-especially "I'll Be In Trouble." We've had some surprisingly deep discussions on the album and that track in particular; it's nice to talk to someone, a rock fan, no less, who views this as much of a serious release as those prog groups. I'll have to tell him this is finally getting a proper cd release!

kenneth
11-04-2011, 02:30 AM
"I'll Be in Trouble" had kind of a James Bond-spy chase type feel to the arrangement. It could have been a theme song to a film; very different sounding. I thought they did it great. Yes, it's always interesting hearing what fans of rock or other music think about classic Motown.

Just wanted to be sure, did you notice the track listing up above?

mr_postman
11-04-2011, 02:51 AM
If no one else did, I did, Kenneth. Thank you. It whetted my appetite even more. I counted to a handful of songs already known to me through versions recorded by other Motown artists. That should make it something like twenty songs I've never heard before. One of the best Motown sets is getting better and better for every day, it seems!

TMSG
11-04-2011, 04:23 AM
Unable to order on Amazon UK and the delivery date from Amazon US is 9th January !!

smark21
11-04-2011, 07:55 AM
One could make an argument that being a "second string" group commercially, The Marvelettes and their writers and producers were able to make more interesting music as there was not as much expectation for them to come up with a top ten songs which might necessitate compromising the integrity of the music in exchange for commercial success.

RossHolloway
11-04-2011, 09:06 AM
I for one never considered the Marvelettes a "second string" group. While they may not have had the same kinda hits as the Supremes or Martha and the Vandellas, they did release some great songs deep into the late 60's.

kenneth
11-04-2011, 09:50 AM
If no one else did, I did, Kenneth. Thank you. It whetted my appetite even more. I counted to a handful of songs already known to me through versions recorded by other Motown artists. That should make it something like twenty songs I've never heard before. One of the best Motown sets is getting better and better for every day, it seems!

Some interesting titles, to be sure. To me the biggest surprise was "Don't Fence Me In." Think it's the same song as the classic [[Bing Crosby/Gene Autry)? Could be...James Brown actually recorded it in the 70s during his "Payback" phase!

Motown Eddie
11-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks for posting this! I know that Marvelettes fans are going to be happy to hear the news about this upcoming set.

huntergettingcaptured
11-04-2011, 11:00 AM
"I'll Be in Trouble" had kind of a James Bond-spy chase type feel to the arrangement. It could have been a theme song to a film; very different sounding. I thought they did it great. Yes, it's always interesting hearing what fans of rock or other music think about classic Motown.

Yes, that tracklisting is the one thing that has me actually looking forward to winter coming, lol! If I've got to be snowed in anytime this winter, at least I'll have some great music to listen to. I can't wait to hear those vault tracks- I see that you made a comment on one of the titles that really stood out to me- "Don't Fence Me In." I had heard the title before and was wondering if it was indeed the country song.

I really want to hear the first version of "Don't Make Hurting Me A Habit." "Breaktrhough [[I've Got My Freedom)" really sounds intriguing!

huntergettingcaptured
11-04-2011, 11:08 AM
One could make an argument that being a "second string" group commercially, The Marvelettes and their writers and producers were able to make more interesting music as there was not as much expectation for them to come up with a top ten songs which might necessitate compromising the integrity of the music in exchange for commercial success.

Maybe that's why I've always found the Marvelettes music and albums to be so enjoyable. They weren't as strictly confined to a formula so much as the other Motown artists. I've said it before and with all the vault material being released recently on all the Motown artists, I believe it more than ever- sometimes it seems some of the best Motown tracks were either kept in the vault because of not sticking to a "winning formula" OR some of the best Motown tracks went to the artists who didn't receive as much promotion. And I do believe that may be for the very reason you cite above.

brother_love
11-04-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm glad to see "Don't Fence Me In" is included in this set. It's not the same as the country song or the JB version. I'm wondering of "Queen Of Fools" is the same song that Barbara Mills recorded in 1965 on Hickory.

mowest
11-04-2011, 08:03 PM
It is stated in this thread that a Marvelettes' version of "You Lost The Sweetest Boy" will be released on "Forever-More." I find this intriguing! I have never heard of this rendition. IMO, Mary Wells' original version is superb; not even Dusty Springfield, whom I also adore, was able to touch it. Is anyone familiar with the Marvelettes' recording? Did H-D-H produce it? Who's on lead: Gladys or Wanda? Thanks a lot!

kenneth
11-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Full Track Listing!

Disc: 1 1. Barefootin' 2. Message To Michael 3. The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game 4. When You're Young And In Love 5. I Know Better 6. I Can't Turn Around 7. He Was Really Sayin' Somethin' 8. The Day You Take One [[You Have To Take The Other) 9. When I Need You 10. Keep Off, No Trespassing 11. This Night Was Made For Love 12. I Need Someone 13. My Baby Must Be A Magician 14. Destination: Anywhere 15. I'm Gonna Hold On Long As I Can 16. Here I Am Baby 17. You're The One For Me Bobby 18. Reachin' For Somethin' I Can't Have 19. Your Love Can Save Me 20. You're The One 21. Don't Make Hurting Me A Habit 22. What's Easy For Two Is Hard For One 23. The Stranger 24. Someway, Somehow 25. The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game Extended Anthology Version 26. When You're Young And In Love Previously Unreleased Alternate Mix with Spoken Intro 27. I'm Gonna Hold On Long As I Can Alternate Intro Version

Disc: 2 1. Seeing Is Believing 2. Sunshine Days 3. That's How Heartaches Are Made 4. The Truth's Outside My Door 5. I Have Someone [[Who Loves Me Too) 6. Uptown 7. At Last I See Love As It Really Is 8. Now Is The Time For Love 9. Too Many Tears, Too Many Times 10. Rainy Mourning 11. Everybody Knows [[But You) 12. Love Silent, Love Deep 13. So I Can Love You 14. Marionette 15. That's How Heartaches Are Made 16. A Breath Taking Guy 17. No More Tearstained Make Up 18. Uptown 19. Someday We'll Be Together 20. After All 21. Our Lips Just Seem To Rhyme Every Time 22. Fading Away 23. Take Me Where You Go 24. I'll Be In Trouble 25. Love Is Good 26. Caught You Putting The Game On Love

Disc: 3 1. Barefootin' 2. Message To Michael 3. The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game 4. When You're Young And In Love 5. I Know Better 6. I Can't Turn Around 7. He Was Really Sayin' Somethin' 8. The Day You Take One [[You Have To Take The Other) 9. When I Need You 10. Keep Off, No Trespassing 11. This Night Was Made For Love 12. I Need Someone 13. My Baby Must Be A Magician 14. Destination: Anywhere 15. I'm Gonna Hold On Long As I Can 16. Here I Am Baby 17. You're The One For Me Bobby 18. Reachin' For Somethin' I Can't Have 19. Your Love Can Save Me 20. You're The One 21. Don't Make Hurting Me A Habit 22. What's Easy For Two Is Hard For One 23. The Stranger 24. Someway, Somehow 25. Paper Boy 26. Poor Little Rich Girl 27. I Hope You Have Better Luck Than I Did 28. Sugar's Never Been As Sweet As You 29. You Ain't Livin' Till You're Lovin'

Disc: 4 1. Three Months 2. My Baby Won't Come Back 3. I Can't Help It 4. From Now On 5. Don't Fence Me In 6. One Kiss Led To Another 7. You Better Behave 8. Queen Of The Fools 9. Johnny Do Right 10. Dance A While, Cry A While 11. You Better Cool It 12. You Can Bet Your Bottom Dollar 13. The Train That's Bringing My Baby 14. Learning To Forget You 15. You Lost The Sweetest Boy 16. Just One More Kiss [[Before You Leave Me) 17. So Glad It's Summertime 18. There Is No Tomorrow [[Only Tears And Sorrow) 19. Don't Make Hurting Me A Habit Version 1 20. I Can't Wait Till Summer Comes 21. Breakthru [[I've Got My Freedom) 22. When My Love Was Born 23. Why'd You Do It 24. Change Of Heart 25. That's The Way I See Him 26. The Boy From Crosstown Version 1 27. The Boy From Crosstown Version 2

kenneth
11-06-2011, 09:50 AM
It's interesting that they're including the full track listings of both "In Full Bloom" and "Return," even though two of the tracks are the same. I do remember the version of "Heartaches" on "Return" being somewhat different mix during the bridge but don't remember anything different about "Uptown" on the two LPs. Maybe Hip-O has different mixes...they always have a few surprises for us on these sets.

Motown4Ever518
11-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Very exciting news indeed. Especially since at least 25% of the unreleased material is likely from the pen of the fellow you don't want to mess with, Bill, Robinson.

kenneth
11-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Very exciting news indeed. Especially since at least 25% of the unreleased material is likely from the pen of the fellow you don't want to mess with, Bill, Robinson.

Is that true? Does that mean then that we'll have lots of Wanda lead vocals?

daviddesper
11-07-2011, 01:19 AM
I don't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, especially not my own, but just from looking at that list of titles in Disc 4, I have a hard time believing that there will be very many true "gems" in there. I know you can't always go by just reading a title, but some of these just sound like someone had a good idea but it didn't pan out, which is why the song never saw the light of day before.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love the girls and am looking as forward to this release as any of you, so I hope I am wrong. But I am just not expecting anything amazing on that final disc.

huntergettingcaptured
11-07-2011, 01:20 AM
It's interesting that they're including the full track listings of both "In Full Bloom" and "Return," even though two of the tracks are the same. I do remember the version of "Heartaches" on "Return" being somewhat different mix during the bridge but don't remember anything different about "Uptown" on the two LPs. Maybe Hip-O has different mixes...they always have a few surprises for us on these sets.

"Uptown" had a fuller and gutsier sound when re-issued on "Return Of The Marvelettes." When I heard it on that LP, I was really pleasantly surprised to find there was more "bottom" to this mix and the backing vocals are much stronger. I don't know for certain, but it sounds as if it may have been Katherine and Ann doing those backings with the Andantes mixed in. Whoever is doing them, they really rock on the "Return" mix. Wanda was absolutely in her glory on the lead.

TMSG
11-07-2011, 06:56 AM
If ordered from Amazon US in Britain, this CD set will cost $73.39 including postage which I think is a bit steep considering I paid £14.99 for volume 1. Has anyone found a cheeper source in Britain?

cheekylincs
11-07-2011, 07:41 AM
If ordered from Amazon US in Britain, this CD set will cost $73.39 including postage which I think is a bit steep considering I paid £14.99 for volume 1. Has anyone found a cheeper source in Britain?

Not yet but would be also interested to know if anyone finds one. I would pay $73.39 for this but would obviously prefer to pay less!

smark21
11-07-2011, 08:54 AM
I don't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm, especially not my own, but just from looking at that list of titles in Disc 4, I have a hard time believing that there will be very many true "gems" in there. I know you can't always go by just reading a title, but some of these just sound like someone had a good idea but it didn't pan out, which is why the song never saw the light of day before.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love the girls and am looking as forward to this release as any of you, so I hope I am wrong. But I am just not expecting anything amazing on that final disc.

Generally when you hear the vaulted material, you realized, oh, that's why it was never released. But sometimes a gem will be unveiled.

hwume
11-07-2011, 03:03 PM
I'm glad folks have found the track list - the album will be up shortly at hip-oselect.com for pre-order as well. The "editorial" at Amazon.com is the same sales blurb that will be up at Hip-oSelect as well. More info about the unreleased tracks will be forthcoming as we get closer. Yes, I am teasing it out.

I can say this about those: everyone will have varying opinions, but having spent many years in the vault, I feel confident in saying that you'll find most of these tracks to be superb Motown gems. We assuredly don't want anyone to get caught up in hype and then be disappointed, but with all honestly most of these should have made it past the QC board, at least as LP cuts or B-sides; they just may not have fit the platform in the moment everyone was in the studio trying to find another hit. With hindsight, we can and hear see the buried treasure.

Sure, there are a couple of tracks that some may call "just OK" - I know I have my picks - and I look forward to the SDF gang having a spirited debate about them. But you will now have every remaining vault track on the group.

Right: barring alternate mixes of existing material, every remaining vault track on the Marvelettes is on there. If anyone out there has a question about titles they may have heard of as "theirs," but are not on this set, email me at classic.motown@umusic.com, and I'll let you know what we found.

To answer someone's question about what an actual Marvelette thinks, Kat Anderson has heard the unreleased material, and she was most enthusiastic about all of the songs. I was ecstatic to hear her tell me that.

Thank you for supporting Vol. 1, helping to make Vol. 2 a reality, and sorry it has taken so long.

HW

RossHolloway
11-07-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm glad folks have found the track list - the album will be up shortly at hip-oselect.com for pre-order as well. The "editorial" at Amazon.com is the same sales blurb that will be up at Hip-oSelect as well. More info about the unreleased tracks will be forthcoming as we get closer. Yes, I am teasing it out.

I can say this about those: everyone will have varying opinions, but having spent many years in the vault, I feel confident in saying that you'll find most of these tracks to be superb Motown gems. We assuredly don't want anyone to get caught up in hype and then be disappointed, but with all honestly most of these should have made it past the QC board, at least as LP cuts or B-sides; they just may not have fit the platform in the moment everyone was in the studio trying to find another hit. With hindsight, we can and hear see the buried treasure.

Sure, there are a couple of tracks that some may call "just OK" - I know I have my picks - and I look forward to the SDF gang having a spirited debate about them. But you will now have every remaining vault track on the group.

Right: barring alternate mixes of existing material, every remaining vault track on the Marvelettes is on there. If anyone out there has a question about titles they may have heard of as "theirs," but are not on this set, email me at classic.motown@umusic.com, and I'll let you know what we found.

To answer someone's question about what an actual Marvelette thinks, Kat Anderson has heard the unreleased material, and she was most enthusiastic about all of the songs. I was ecstatic to hear her tell me that.

Thank you for supporting Vol. 1, helping to make Vol. 2 a reality, and sorry it has taken so long.

HW

Wow this is some really exciting news and I just can't wait for this release. Sad to know that after this release there are no other unreleased tracks*. I will be interested to see when their last recording session took place or if Wanda recorded any solo tracks after the group disbanded.

*Any live recording aside [[ie. Motown Monday or concert recorded in Cleveland).

vcq
11-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Harry, thanks for the update. And how's that Junior Walker box set coming along? ;)

kenneth
11-07-2011, 09:41 PM
The only worse thing that not having everything your favorite group recorded is having everything they recorded! Oh well, we'll have to be satisfied knowing "that's all there is..." as Peggy Lee would say. Of course, we can always hope for a great live recording sometime maybe!

smark21
11-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Wow this is some really exciting news and I just can't wait for this release. Sad to know that after this release there are no other unreleased tracks*. I will be interested to see when their last recording session took place or if Wanda recorded any solo tracks after the group disbanded.

*Any live recording aside [[ie. Motown Monday or concert recorded in Cleveland).

Wanda did do some solo recordings after the group disbanded, but then these were issued on The Return of the Marvelettes album.

Jimi LaLumia
11-07-2011, 11:12 PM
how close is Vol.1 to selling out, I know that on Amazon it's going for some crazy prices right now, at least in a 'new' sealed condition

lakedistrictlad1
11-08-2011, 08:09 AM
This has got to be the release of the year. For me anyhow. It even eclipses 'More Hits'. Talk about seeing the year out with a bang! I've said it before I know, but I was astounded at the quality of the vaulted Velvelettes tracks when they finally saw the light of day. There are songs on their anthology that are some of the best examples of 'classic' Motown there is. And we had been denied them for years. I have every confidence that there will be many gems in this new Marvelettes set. I'm really hoping there will be something in the vein of 'poor little rich girl' on here. The production on that was mindblowing.

144man
11-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Is this getting an official release in the UK? If I have to wait too long, I'll just have to pay the import price and do without food and heat!

RossHolloway
11-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Wanda did do some solo recordings after the group disbanded, but then these were issued on The Return of the Marvelettes album.

But did Wanda do any official solo recordings after the release of that album?

brother_love
11-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Does anyone know the name of the young lady that did a few dates with Gladys and Wanda in the middle to late '70s?

reese
11-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Does anyone know the name of the young lady that did a few dates with Gladys and Wanda in the middle to late '70s?

Theresa Lockhart.

kenneth
11-08-2011, 01:25 PM

Did Wanda actually perform live with Gladys back then? I never knew that. I remember there were some concerts that were advertised as being recorded for a possible live album but didn't know who was in the lineup as it was a good 5 to 7 years after they disbanded.

If indeed they did some touring together, was that the last time Gladys and Wanda ever sang together in a live setting?

cheekylincs
11-09-2011, 06:00 AM
Hip O Select down...............could this be good news and we are going to see Marvelettes Vol 2 on later today!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheekylincs
11-09-2011, 06:04 AM
Available for pre order on Amazon UK now............£56.11

Motown Eddie
11-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Hip O Select down...............could this be good news and we are going to see Marvelettes Vol 2 on later today!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just checked and Hip-O Select's website is still down so they must be doing an overhaul of their website [[or it must be some tech issues).

dickiemint
11-11-2011, 07:58 PM
I have ordered with amazon uk, i hope that 13th Dec is going to be the UK release date then this set will be an early christmas present to myself !

vcq
11-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Hip-O is still down after several days...

mrlonleyheart
11-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Hi folks I would like to know maybe anybody knows if the "lost and found" cd contains more tracks where Ann Bogan is on lead ?

splanky
11-12-2011, 10:18 AM
If this track listing is still accurate I'm gonna have to plan a few peanut and jelly lunches. Dang, it made me almost mess myself:)...

http://www.amazon.com/Vol-2-Forever-More-Complete-Motown/dp/tracks/B005ZHB94Y/ref=dp_tracks_all_1/181-6867192-7318449#disc_1

arjayvee
11-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Deep Discount has the set for a few dollars cheaper than Amazon -- $69.83 with free postage. But I don't know if they send orders outside of the U.S. Amazon will probably come down in price. They often do during the pre-order stage.

hwume
11-12-2011, 03:17 PM
Hi folks I would like to know maybe anybody knows if the "lost and found" cd contains more tracks where Ann Bogan is on lead ?

I don't have the full annotations in front of me, but I recall at least two of the unreleased tracks feature Ann singing lead.

danman869
11-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Boy, I'm glad I pre-ordered this at Amazon US when I did... My pre-order price was at $66.66. If it goes lower, I'll get the lower price--but it'll never charge me the $75.23 it's listed at today. No matter what, this set sounds AWESOME. I am a little puzzled by the double-inclusion of "Uptown." Perhaps I'm not listening closely enough, but was there a big difference in the mix or vocal take between the song when it was on "In Full Bloom" and when it reappeared on "Return Of"? Unless that's the case, I would've preferred the inclusion of another alternate mix or unreleased song. Just sayin'... Let's hope that when this gets posted on Hip-O Select's website, the track descriptions there will be more detailed [[i.e., the mono LP versions on Disc 3).

C'mon December 13th!

hwume
11-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Re double-listing of songs between albums: we faced a similar dilemma with the DeBarge project, where tracks from the [[to some forgotten) first album were repeated on subsequent LPs.

I made certain that for the Marvelettes project we did or did not delete repeated tracks for the right reasons. For both "Uptown" and "That's How Heartaches Are Made" it was clear from one listen that while they are each the same performance, Motown engineers remixed them for their second LP appearance. Both cuts stayed in the track list.

The Amazon and Hip-oSelect descriptions for the Marvs Vol. 2 set are the same, one-stop marketing blurb. Honestly, I don't have deep details re the mono "Pink" and "Sophisticated" album mixes at the moment; perhaps some collectors here will have that.

More details in the coming weeks, and on John Perrone's radio show Dec. 13.

danman869
11-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the info, HW!

stopinthenameoflove
11-12-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm really excited about this release - any hints yet as to what the cover art might be like??

caliluv
11-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Just looked at Amazon and preorders have gone up to $84.71 from $75.00 in just a couple of days.

mrlonleyheart
11-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Thank you HW for the informations. I´m very excited that we have two further tracks with Ann in the lead spot. But I have a further question about the cover artwork of "Return". First Motown planed a solo album with Wanda, I would like to know if Motown would use the same artwork or was there another artwork in the faults. Because I know that Motown changed the plans in the last minutes ?

hwume
11-13-2011, 12:50 PM
The Vol. 2 cover art is similar in look/design to Vol. 1, with of course an updated photo. The package is quite beautiful, BTW. It has been delivered to all of the "retail partners," but with everything digital now there has to be some initial "push" before it appears. Don't expect me to understand it, but I will follow through to see when it will go up.

mrlonleyheart
11-13-2011, 01:16 PM

It´s one of my favorite track too, and you´re right the track has a James Bond feeling, something like an exciting film I have this feeling when I hear it. And I´m glad to have then the long version of "A breathtaking guy"

brother_love
11-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks Reese.

cheekylincs
11-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Price on Amazon UK gone down to £25.09!! I've cancelled my £50 plus order and placed it again just to make sure

kenneth
11-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Price on Amazon UK gone down to £25.09!! I've cancelled my £50 plus order and placed the it again just to make sure

That is amazing! And today on Amazon UK, it has dropped further to 23.60. Also, something strange, when I placed my order it ended up dropping further to 19.67, just in the time it took to put the order in! According to pounds-to-dollars today, that is only $31.50!

honest man
11-19-2011, 08:45 AM
cheeky thanks for the nod,i have just ordered cheers.

berry101
11-19-2011, 02:27 PM
Hi All Same thing but now lower...
Forever More: The Complete Motown Albums 2 [Box set]

Marvelettes [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?_encoding=UTF8&search-alias=music&field-artist=Marvelettes) [[Artist) | Format: Audio CD

Price:£20.06 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=mk_sss_dp_1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200039400&pop-up=1) Deal Price: Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forever-More-Complete-Motown-Albums/dp/B005ZHB94Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1321726874&sr=1-1#productPromotions).
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o
This title will be released on December 13, 2011.
Pre-order now!
Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk. Gift-wrap available.

berry101
11-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Price in basket still showed original one so I reordered it @ $20.06 Act Quick before someone realises it is a mistake !

carlo
11-19-2011, 10:24 PM
Thank you for letting us know! I just ordered mine. Awesome deal!

booty
11-20-2011, 05:42 AM
Amazon price guarantee mean that at the moment I would pay £19.67 for this, the price they showed this for shortly on Saturday [[but the price will drop further), even though it was £56.11 when I ordered it. Although it is currently at £20.06, the final selling price on December 13th will no doubt be closer to £12.00.

If you ordered it at a higher price don't cancel and reorder else you'll lose the price guarantee!

booty
11-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Still no sign of it on the Hip O-Select site though!

kenneth
11-22-2011, 11:39 PM
The cover art can now be seen on Amazon.Com, with a great photo from the "Sophisticated Soul" sessions.

http://www.amazon.com/Forever-More-Complete-Motown-Albums/dp/tracks/B005ZHB94Y/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

carlo
11-23-2011, 12:21 AM
I like that photo. Very lovely. However, it's not from the Sophisticated Soul sessions, since Gladys was still in the group. :)

kenneth
11-23-2011, 12:40 AM
I like that photo. Very lovely. However, it's not from the Sophisticated Soul sessions, since Gladys was still in the group. :)

Ah, yes! How right you are. The hair and makeup on Wanda and Katherine certainly look like the SS sessions to me, which is what fooled me. Must have been pretty close in time then to 1968, the SS time frame.

daviddesper
11-23-2011, 01:29 AM
I have been following your price discussions, since I am currently "on order" with Amazon in the US for something like $66. So when I saw your great UK price today, I jumped on their website, ready to order it on there and then cancel my US order. But when I check it on Amazon UK, all I am getting is a message saying that I can sign up and they will e-mail me when it becomes available, with no mention of price. So where and how are you guys seeing this price of 19 or 20 pounds?

Or should I leave well enough alone and just let the price guarantee on my US order take care of me?

kenneth
11-23-2011, 01:34 AM
I have been following your price discussions, since I am currently "on order" with Amazon in the US for something like $66. So when I saw your great UK price today, I jumped on their website, ready to order it on there and then cancel my US order. But when I check it on Amazon UK, all I am getting is a message saying that I can sign up and they will e-mail me when it becomes available, with no mention of price. So where and how are you guys seeing this price of 19 or 20 pounds?

Or should I leave well enough alone and just let the price guarantee on my US order take care of me?

That's really strange. Mine still shows on order.

Order Placed: 19 Nov 2011

View Order Details Printable Order Summary

Order Number:
Recipient:
Order Total: £19.80

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/02/x-locale/cs/orders/images/holiday-flakes._V178829200_.gifDelivery 1 of 1: The following item will arrive after 25 Dec 2011. Not yet dispatched

Dispatch Estimate: 20 Dec 2011

Delivery Estimate: 29 Dec 2011 - 5 Jan 2012

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/515cBD-bDwL._SY100_.jpg [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005ZHB94Y)Marvelettes
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

But yes, you are correct, you cannot order it today. Keep checking back...hopefully when it's available again the price will still be low.

TMSG
11-23-2011, 06:14 AM
That's really strange. Mine still shows on order.

Order Placed: 19 Nov 2011

View Order Details Printable Order Summary

Order Number:
Recipient:
Order Total: £19.80

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/02/x-locale/cs/orders/images/holiday-flakes._V178829200_.gifDelivery 1 of 1: The following item will arrive after 25 Dec 2011. Not yet dispatched

Dispatch Estimate: 20 Dec 2011

Delivery Estimate: 29 Dec 2011 - 5 Jan 2012

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/515cBD-bDwL._SY100_.jpg [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005ZHB94Y)Marvelettes
Sold by: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.

But yes, you are correct, you cannot order it today. Keep checking back...hopefully when it's available again the price will still be low.

I ordered this from Amazon.uk on 10th November - My Order states a delivery date od 1st Feb and 4th Feb and the cost is £20.06. Notice that it's beinf sold by "Amazon.EU". Wonder why there is a difference in dates and cost?

Bokiluis
11-23-2011, 07:36 AM
That's good news and it indicates that their previous reissues have done well. Like a lot of people, The Marvellettes was my favorite girl group, just as Martha Reeves and The Vandellas were too before The Supremes began to hit.

kenneth
11-23-2011, 10:48 AM
I ordered this from Amazon.uk on 10th November - My Order states a delivery date od 1st Feb and 4th Feb and the cost is £20.06. Notice that it's beinf sold by "Amazon.EU". Wonder why there is a difference in dates and cost?

I'm not sure. As far as price, I always assumed that if the price went down at any time, after your order was in, prior to the release date, you got it at the lowest price. But if you read their guarantee very carefully, it more or less indicates that the guarantee is effective only if the price is lower on the actual day of the product's release. I'm sure that's not what most people think, but read it and tell me if you agree with me.

So I used to just put my order in and assume I'd get some sort of rebate on the day of release. But on this one I saw the price going down online but the price not being adjusted in the shopping basket, so at some point I did delete the order and reordered it just to make sure.

I could be wrong about how the mechanism works but it seems it could be shown better in the shopping cart, like price at time of order vs. price today, or something.

carlo
11-23-2011, 10:55 AM
I just received an e-mail from Amazon UK, stating that the release date was changed by the manufacturer to February. That might have something to do with all of the issues being discussed above.

vcq
11-23-2011, 11:18 AM
The price on Amazon.com has dropped to $58.45 as of this morning.

Also, when I went to check the price on Amazon UK, it says "currently unavailable" with a release date of Jan 01.

brother_love
11-23-2011, 12:33 PM

Forever More

RossHolloway
11-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Beautiful artwork

hwume
11-23-2011, 04:26 PM
And now... Finally up at www.hip-oselect.com:

http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.public.product.asp?product_id=673E1B94-BE94-48C3-B108-A87A7748EFC8

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
11-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Just ordered mine on amazon.com for $58.45 total. That is the cheapest I have seen in the U.S. Might want to check it out guys :-)

copley
11-23-2011, 08:33 PM
It's now on Hip-O :D

http://www.hip-oselect.com/scr.public.product.asp?product_id=673E1B94-BE94-48C3-B108-A87A7748EFC8

copley
11-24-2011, 02:52 PM
Bump, has no one else noticed this?

copley
11-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Bump, bump!

carlo
11-25-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm excited about this release, but it looks like I'm gonna have to wait until February to get my copy from the UK. The $80 price tag plus $25 for shipping from Hip-O just doesn't seem realistic for me.

kenneth
11-25-2011, 09:23 PM
I'm excited about this release, but it looks like I'm gonna have to wait until February to get my copy from the UK. The $80 price tag plus $25 for shipping from Hip-O just doesn't seem realistic for me.

Last I checked it was $58 on Amazon [[US), no tax, no shipping. I'm willing to wait for the copy from the UK, however at the cheaper price.

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
11-28-2011, 09:18 PM
Hipo site ship date moved up to 11-30 :-)

tomato tom
11-29-2011, 01:31 PM
If it doesnt get a UK release the I will be doing a Campout at the front doors of Universals London HQ, similar to the Wall St, St Pauls etc, until it is!..Paulo xxx

cheekylincs
12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
There are now samples of all the tracks on Forever More to listen to on Amazon US.........will be listening to these later when I get home!!

kenneth
12-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Wow, lots of fun stuff there. Wanda's lead on "You Lost the Sweetest Boy" is great...for some reason, I expected Gladys on this track but Wanda's 'falsetto' really suits this one. In addition, the alternate of "Don't Make Hurting Me a Habit," is much slower paced, a different song entirely than the one we're used to hearing.

Someone had asked about Ann, and "Breakthru" and "Why'd You Do it" are definitely her on lead.

pj1
12-01-2011, 11:19 PM
From the lyrics sung and the song titles listed , it seems that track #6 and #16 are reversed on Disc 4, [[the Lost & Found). Is it also that way on the actual cd?

jboy88
12-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm sold on this set! Wanda's take on the Temps' "I'll Be in Trouble" is as funky as 3 port-o-johns on gameday! And Gladys Horton sounds like another Gladys on "I Know Better", if you know what i mean! I can kiss my Christmas money good-bye!

hwume
12-02-2011, 08:43 PM
From the lyrics sung and the song titles listed , it seems that track #6 and #16 are reversed on Disc 4, [[the Lost & Found). Is it also that way on the actual cd?

Unfortunately, yes. This is my oversight. More on this next week.

carlo
12-02-2011, 09:20 PM
There are now samples of all the tracks on Forever More to listen to on Amazon US.........will be listening to these later when I get home!!

Thank you for letting us know!

Buttered Popcorn and so forth
12-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Unfortunately, yes. This is my oversight. More on this next week.As long as it's not missing a song, and you still get both songs it's alright with me. Only a few more days left to wait! :D

kenneth
12-04-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm sold on this set! Wanda's take on the Temps' "I'll Be in Trouble" is as funky as 3 port-o-johns on gameday! And Gladys Horton sounds like another Gladys on "I Know Better", if you know what i mean! I can kiss my Christmas money good-bye!

Gladys Knight also sang "I Know Better," and sang it well, on one of the Pips' great early LPs, "Feelin' Bluesy."

mrlonleyheart
12-04-2011, 08:53 AM
I´m really excited about the stuff from the fourth CD. I know I´m a special Marvelettes-Fan, I love Gladys on lead and I think Motown did the right thing when they changed with Wanda and she did a fine Job with Smokey-Songs like "Don´t mess with Bill" and "The hunter gets captured by the game". But in my opinion The Marvelettes had a chance for a real "Return of...." but Motown didn´t change the lead singer again.

The two Ann Bogan tracks are real pearls of the fourth CD, when I hear her songs is a little about a revolutuion with voice and music. She is caught in the Motown-Sound and try to break through and you hear it. It´s fabulos and glorius and a hint of a new time

smark21
12-04-2011, 02:39 PM
I´m really excited about the stuff from the fourth CD. I know I´m a special Marvelettes-Fan, I love Gladys on lead and I think Motown did the right thing when they changed with Wanda and she did a fine Job with Smokey-Songs like "Don´t mess with Bill" and "The hunter gets captured by the game". But in my opinion The Marvelettes had a chance for a real "Return of...." but Motown didn´t change the lead singer again.

The two Ann Bogan tracks are real pearls of the fourth CD, when I hear her songs is a little about a revolutuion with voice and music. She is caught in the Motown-Sound and try to break through and you hear it. It´s fabulos and glorius and a hint of a new time

Interesting observation on Ann Bogan. Visually it's reinforced by her appearance on the front cover of In Full Bloom. Wanda and Katherine are styled 60's glam, but Ann is more down to earth looking.

mowest
12-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Listening to the snippet on Amazon, I'd say that "Breakthru [[I've Got My Freedom)" with Ann Bogan on lead is going to be a real standout!

cheekylincs
12-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm loving the sound of Why'd You Do It! Can't wait to hear it in it's entirety

tomato tom
12-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Have pre-ordered via Amazon. Not happy about the price, but this is a MUST have...Paulo xxx

mrlonleyheart
12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Interesting observation on Ann Bogan. Visually it's reinforced by her appearance on the front cover of In Full Bloom. Wanda and Katherine are styled 60's glam, but Ann is more down to earth looking.

I know this she has forgotten her wig and she´s looking more 70´s styling as 60`s. During the whole photo session Ann is without her wig. You will see her again in the afro-look style in their black and white dresses.