PDA

View Full Version : The "Smile Sessions"....I need a favor....

test

Doug-Morgan
11-01-2011, 04:37 PM
Capitol Records is releasing today a 2 CD [[or 2 LP or a $140 boxed set) set of the Beach Boys "Smile Sessions", that is music from the "lost" "Smile" LP.

If someone happens to purchase a copy over the next few days, would they be kind enough to post a thumbnail review, and maybe compare it to Brian Wilson's 2004 version? Thanks.

soulster
11-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks! I forgot all about it! I may pick up the 2 CD set later today or tomorrow. I'm not a huge Beach Boy fan, but i'll do my best.

StuBass1
11-01-2011, 07:27 PM
It should be interesting since Brian basically called the project "garbage and vowed it would never be released [[although some of the cuts were released in subsequent albums)"...the Beach Boys, particularly Mike Love fought the project from day 1...and VanDyke Parks was run off of the project by the band.

I really enjoy the 2004 version cut in Great Britain.

soulster
11-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I understand that Brian Wilson has given this new collection his blessing.

Doug-Morgan
11-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Hey Stu, how's the golf game? Expanding our muni cource to 18 has almost doubled revenues.

It's not going to be a fully realised LP in the same way Brian's was, this is basically a collection of studio tapes formed together using the 2004 CD as a guide, with Brian's blessings, and I hope people don't listen to it as such.

Given that the original "Smile" LP was scheduled for 11 cuts and the new "Smile Sessions" has 24, I hope there isn't filler overkill.

StuBass1
11-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Very cool Doug. You guys should go after the 2020 Ryder Cup.

My game...losing distance off the tee. I need a new coach...or a 600 cc driver. Short game though...autopilot.

Why did Brian give his blessing to this release? My best guess...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!