PDA

View Full Version : You're A Special Part Of Me question

test

rovereab
10-24-2011, 04:55 PM
I am aware of two different mixes and lengths of this song...

One on the Diana and Marvin album at 3:41 minutes long and one on the 2 CD Diana Ross Anthology at 3:38 minutes long.

I have always wondered which version was released as the single - does anyone know please?

Thanks.

Eamonn

nabob
10-24-2011, 06:16 PM
There is a 4:37 version that appeared on the 1990 Marvin Gaye Collection box set. This mix is very different from the LP version. I first heard it on an air plane in 1974 and never heard it again until the box set was purchased. I don't have an answer on the single.

reese
10-24-2011, 06:59 PM
My 45 lists a running time of 3:15. But when I played it, it is actually more like 3:33 or so. I believe the single and album versions are the same, but the album might have a longer fade.

George Solomon
10-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Single is definitely a different mix and I believe it can be found on Marvin's 20th Century Masters CD. [[not a hundred percent sure) I couldn't find that single master for years but then it turned up...

rovereab
10-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Given nabob's comment about a longer version, and that the LP released version of You Are Everything is edited towards the end, there could be an opportunity to release a Diana & Marvin "as recorded" deluxe with the different mixes, unedited songs and the separate recordings by the two artists.

I can dream :)

Eamonn

rovereab
10-24-2011, 08:03 PM
Just thinking a bit more about this "project". We have seen in this thread that there are at least 3 or 4 versions of YASPOM. A "take it from the top" version of Don't Knock My Love. Hopefully the original unedited You Are Everything. The longer quad mix version of Pledging My Love.

Could work as a project!

Does anybody know of any other variants of songs on the original album?

Eamonn

JohnnyB
10-24-2011, 10:01 PM
There is an alternate mix of My Mistake that appeared on Diana's 2001 Anthology and a remix of Stop, Look, Listen from Diana's 2003 expanded To Love Again. Both of these include slight vocal changes; I prefer these mixes to the original LP mixes.