PDA

View Full Version : Malinda...a temptations reject??

test

arrr&bee
08-25-2010, 12:22 PM
We all love the classic[malinda]bobby taylor & the vancouvers,but was this song written with them in mind remember smokey wrote it and we all know how much he loved the temps,i can hear eddie and david switching off on the lead.....hmmmmmmm???

paladin
08-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Nice theory Jai, but I'm glad Bobby T & Vancouvers made it. I know that they were big fan's of the Temptations and their version & arrangement of "Fading Away" was based upon the Temptations" Live" version of Fading Away. And by the way they absolutely smoked it ! I play their CD [[out of print) often and they are cool with me........

paul_nixon
08-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Is The Bobby Taylor Anthology out of print already?

Nice theory Jai, but I'm glad Bobby T & Vancouvers made it. I know that they were big fan's of the Temptations and their version & arrangement of "Fading Away" was based upon the Temptations" Live" version of Fading Away. And by the way they absolutely smoked it ! I play their CD [[out of print) often and they are cool with me........

arrr&bee
08-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Hey paladin,i agree 1,000% and i love this classic,but we all know in music history how a group may turn down a song and it becomes a classic for someone else...the marvelettes turned down[where did our love go]and we know what it did for the supremes...just wondering!

snakepit
08-25-2010, 02:14 PM
Good question....Smokey cut the Temptations on "Cindy" so it's possible he had them in mind for "Malinda"", also he cut them on "Dinah"..........Smokey must have had a girl name theme going on :)

phil
08-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Is The Bobby Taylor Anthology out of print already?

No Paul, it's still available : http://tinyurl.com/3865oae

$7.35, I call this a bargain !!!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51B5X6VAGZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KReQhTft4rg&feature=related

marv2
08-25-2010, 03:16 PM
If it was [[rejected by the Temptations), then they made a mistake. "Malinda" was and is one of the better songs to come out of Motown in the late sixties.

nosey
08-25-2010, 03:45 PM
I think the Originals are doing the background on the record. I do know for sure they toured as the Vancouvers because I saw them at the Uptown and my cousin later confirmed I saw what I saw.

robb_k
08-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Interesting that the Bobby Taylor & Vancouvers version was produced by Smokey AND Terry Johnson AND Al Cleveland. Maybe Smokey started, and had to leave, and the other two took over? I can hear Terry Johnson singing it, as well. It has a similar feel to it to "Suzie", which, no surprise, was produced by the same trio.

pj1
08-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Paladin said "I play their CD [[out of print) often and they are cool with me........

Paul Nixon,
I believe he was speaking of the 1994 U.S. cd-reissue Motown 31453-0363-2 which has been long out of print .

paladin
08-25-2010, 07:26 PM
PJ1 you are exactly right.....I still play the vinyl too....lol........

marv2
08-25-2010, 07:52 PM
You have to love these lyrics:

"Malinda"

by Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers

Malinda, Malinda

Malinda's the girl [[girl)
Who came to my world
And made my interest
In all other girls stop

Malinda's a dream [[dream)
Beauty to the extreme
Malinda is the cream of the crop

So many guys in love
With my Malinda [[they can't get her)
You ought to see the presents
Others send her

Trying to make her surrender
Surrender them some of that tender
Love she's giving me [[Malinda)

Oh, but she doesn't know
She'll never go
She's where she'd rather be

In the arms of a man
Who fits in her plan
[[Fits into her plan)
She lets them know that man is me

So many guys have
Tried for my Malinda
[[But they can't get her)
From the Casanovas
To the real big spenders

But all they do is offend her
Offend Malinda and send her
Calling out to me
In a lover's speed
Love me tenderly

[[Malinda) oh
[[Malinda, I love Malinda)
I love Malinda
[[Yeah, Malinda Malinda)
[[I love Malinda)
Ooh, I love that girl [[yeah)

Ain't gonna let no
Jill or Jane or Brenda
[[Any one of those girls)
Come between me and my Malinda

I'll never let another girl hinder
The chance that Malinda's gonna
Spend her every night and day
Satisfy this day
In love with me this way

[[Malinda, Malinda, I love Malinda)
Oh, she only has eyes for me [[yeah)
Yeah, she gives up all the
Other guys for me [[yeah)

She is mine, all mine
That's the way it was meant to be

marv2
08-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Bobby Taylor and The Vancouvers!

paladin
08-25-2010, 08:13 PM
Ok Marv, heres my jam........:cool::cool::cool::cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiFYMcG2hss

marv2
08-25-2010, 08:20 PM
Stop it Paladin, that's not yours....that's MY JAM! I Loved Bobby & the Vancouvers version as well as the Four Tops! You have great taste in music Paladin.

paladin
08-25-2010, 08:25 PM
You know Marv, to me they always sounded like a cross between the Originals & The Tempts, I simply loved this group. "Tommy Chong" who would have thought ? Hell Rae Dawn....oh my goodness, !!!! The truth is Marv I came up in a magical time for music and I have tried to share some of those inspiring songs, moments & events from my lifetime. Its one of the reasons I've been around here so long.....not bragging , just saying....

"Kdubya"

marv2
08-25-2010, 08:40 PM
Kdub, we came along during the same time so I truly understand. People do not even love music today, I mean music that is being produced today. You know they say that music is the soundtrack to your life and it always helps you remember fond moments. So what will people, especially youth today remember from their garbage music they have to put up with now?

marv2
08-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Oh and Rae Dawn Chong, she was phynnnnneeeee! LOL!!!

marv2
08-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Oh you knew coming back with this one. I can't let you trumph me, hehehehe. Canadian Soul from the Winter of 1968:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB3Gh6FspFQ