PDA

View Full Version : New marvin book?

test

arrr&bee
10-22-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm listening too a radio show as i type this and the show is honoring marvin and according to the host there is a book by his sister violla in the works,anyone know about this?

arrr&bee
10-22-2011, 06:03 PM
The title is-my brother marvin-a memoir.

BayouMotownMan
10-22-2011, 06:12 PM
She's been saying she's writing a book for over 10 years. She tried to launch a play on Marvin and was sued to a halt. She's very opportunistic

arrr&bee
10-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Ok,very interesting as she did say that drugs were a part of her life until eight years ago and that she is writing the book to clear up misconceptions about marvin and her family.

daddyacey
10-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Here we go....................Didn't Frankie Gaye write a book about MARVIN some years ago???
Just wait until ANNA is not around [[I'm sorry but we will all in time meet our maker) ,the shxxs really gonna fly then.
MARVIN's work ,his genius ,his story is also a legal property. I don't know who or where his royalties are going to ,but rest assured that ANNA has a lot of control over Marvin Gaye property.

kenneth
10-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Here we go....................Didn't Frankie Gaye write a book about MARVIN some years ago???
Just wait until ANNA is not around [[I'm sorry but we will all in time meet our maker) ,the shxxs really gonna fly then.
MARVIN's work ,his genius ,his story is also a legal property. I don't know who or where his royalties are going to ,but rest assured that ANNA has a lot of control over Marvin Gaye property.

Don't you think at least most of his latter day material would be owned by the second wife, Janice? This would be all the material that he controlled. After the proceeds from "Here, My Dear," I doubt Anna got anything else even with her connections to Motown.

tomato tom
10-23-2011, 11:46 AM
I have the book that Frankie wrote, "My Brother". Nor exactly a great read.IMHO.. Paulo xxx

kenneth
10-23-2011, 12:11 PM
I have the book that Frankie wrote, "My Brother". Nor exactly a great read.IMHO.. Paulo xxx

I tried to read it as well, couldn't get through it. Didn't have much to add to Marvin's life story. What was odd was didn't Frankie also record some of Gaye's songs for Levine's label? I think he even rerecorded "It Takes Two," though maybe not with Kim Weston. I have no idea what kind of singer he was, but that really looks like cashing in on someone else's legacy.

tomato tom
10-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Yes he did record a few sides for the Nightmare / Motorcity label. I believe he too, has passed on. Paulo xxx

1382hitsville
10-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Frankie recorded 5 songs for Ian Levine and he died in 2001. Here is a link for youtube with a story from Ian Levine about the recording etc.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEVQtnXMFtA

Now, what would be the best book on Marvin? it is the one from David Ritz?

BayouMotownMan
10-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Yes...and even that one has inaccuracies

1382hitsville
10-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks. Wouldn't it be time for an updated version?

marv2
10-24-2011, 06:10 PM
I tried to read it as well, couldn't get through it. Didn't have much to add to Marvin's life story. What was odd was didn't Frankie also record some of Gaye's songs for Levine's label? I think he even rerecorded "It Takes Two," though maybe not with Kim Weston. I have no idea what kind of singer he was, but that really looks like cashing in on someone else's legacy.

I saw Frankie Gaye perform in Detroit. Met him afterwards and he looked and sounded very similiar to Marvin. It was a bit eery. Yes he too has passed now.

marv2
10-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Frankie recorded 5 songs for Ian Levine and he died in 2001. Here is a link for youtube with a story from Ian Levine about the recording etc.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEVQtnXMFtA

Now, what would be the best book on Marvin? it is the one from David Ritz?

Yes, David Ritz's book is the best one. Marvin told David most of his story directly.

kenneth
10-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Yes, David Ritz's book is the best one. Marvin told David most of his story directly.

I totally agree. Ritz is a great writer. All his books, liner notes, are very interesting and thorough. He really gets into the subject of what made Marvin who he was and doesn't seem to fawn all over his subject. He maintains objectivity even though it's obvious he thinks Gaye was a great artist [[as he indeed was).