PDA

View Full Version : Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me...............Damn

test

aarondillon2011@gmail.com
10-22-2011, 05:07 AM
Sorry for the swear words bot

roger
10-22-2011, 10:31 AM
Obviously we must be talking about the GLADYS KNIGHT AND THE PIPS classic ..

Here it is on you-tube ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzkIrn-KHUQ

And I have to stand up for the Brits here .. it was actually A BIG HIT back in 1967 Britain .. got to #13 and spent 15 weeks on the charts .. love the song too :)

Roger

tomato tom
10-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Tell it like it is...Brits LOVED it, How come the U.S. missed on this one? No Promotion? Paulo xxx

arrr&bee
10-22-2011, 06:44 PM
sorry for the swear words bot god damn mother fucker.......this has got to be one of the best motown songs ever.....there us just no fucking way that any other motown can compare to this......this is "the" the "almighty" my "favorite" motown, song period of all time.....i have gone through all my music and i keep going back to that......gotta be my fave......damn guys...........mmmmwow i haven't heard this many cuss words since the time i slipped some hooch into my son's baby formula...[little sucker slept for a week,hehe]but the wife wasn't pleased!!

daddyacey
10-23-2011, 06:08 AM
aarondillon2011@gmail.com [[http://soulfuldetroit.com/member.php?1129-aarondillon2011-gmail.com) ,::::::::::::: Where are YOU FROM????????? Cause you are talkin my language. I know just where you are coming from and understand how that track hits you. The song itself is very well put together ,the words and meaning are deeply emotional. On top of that however is Glady's performance on the vocal. In our language it simply is said that ,Ms Knight tore that shii up. Such to an extent that you feel her in your chest when you really get into the recording itself. But that's how Glady's do ,and what she do sometimes is just too intense for nice words to describe that feeling you get from a clssic recording like this. The strings and use of the lower register horns in the arrangement for the horn parts ,the hopsichord at orchestration show that this was not a track intended to be filler. Here in the U.S it was a "B" side. I have to look up what the "A" side was. That's how I got to love it.

ajk93
10-23-2011, 11:36 AM
"Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me" was indeed the an A-Side here in America as well. In March
of '67, it was released as SOUL 35033. The B-Side was "Do You Love Me Just A Little, Honey". The song
made it only to #98 on Billboard.

I love this thread...you all crack me up!

marv2
10-23-2011, 02:54 PM
I know how Aaron feels about his song! I feel like that about my song....."Baby I Need Your Loving" by the Four Tops. I heard it today after not listening to it for a good while.

jillfoster
10-23-2011, 08:26 PM
I like Gladys' version pretty well... but the backing track don't do much for me. I much prefer this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=874Qetm7UBc

mowest
10-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Great group, those Flirtations! It's a shame that they didn't make it bigger in the U.S.
"Nothing But A Heartache" is a true classic.

roger
10-24-2011, 04:33 AM
I like Gladys' version pretty well... but the backing track don't do much for me. I much prefer this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=874Qetm7UBc

Sacrelige!! :)

Nice version Jillfoster, but I still prefer Gladys's .. I wondering what church [[or Cathedral) they shot that at .. its obviously somewhere in England but I don't recognise it .. I don't think it's anywhere in London .. anybody any ideas?

Roger

jalowe1957
10-24-2011, 12:23 PM
My theory is that "Take Me In Your Arms and Love Me" didn't go over in the U.S. because it was too far ahead of its time -- the story arc of the song was the beginning-to-end chronicle of a woman's sexual arousal, and that Gladys sang it in an mature, adult manner. Perhaps Motown was too intimidated by the song's subject matter and subliminal eroticism to give it a major push.

tamla617
10-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Sacrelige!! :)

Nice version Jillfoster, but I still prefer Gladys's .. I wondering what church [[or Cathedral) they shot that at .. its obviously somewhere in England but I don't recognise it .. I don't think it's anywhere in London .. anybody any ideas?

Roger

thats bath abbey,somerset,england

roger
10-24-2011, 04:40 PM
thats bath abbey,somerset,england

Hey .. thanks.

I've been to Bath so no doubt I've walked around it!!

Roger

tamla617
10-24-2011, 06:39 PM
i lived in weston-super-mud and bath was always a great place to go to and spend money,really good 2nd hand record shops!!

Ryon6
10-24-2011, 06:57 PM
That is a great song and one of my faves. I am looking for original recordings of Gladys & the Pips prior to coming to Motown. Can anyone recommend such a cd?

Thanks,
Ryon6

ajk93
10-24-2011, 09:42 PM
That is a great song and one of my faves. I am looking for original recordings of Gladys & the Pips prior to coming to Motown. Can anyone recommend such a cd?

Thanks,
Ryon6

Well I always love me some Gladys Knight and the Pips. How about this CD:
http://www.amazon.com/Letter-Full-Tears-Original-Collectables/dp/B0000008JN/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1319506680&sr=1-4
That one's got their stuff from the Fury label. I LOVE "Letter Full Of Tears". Also on their is
their Top 10 hit "Every Beat Of My Heart" from 1961. The Only place I can find "Giving Up" is
on this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Collection-Gladys-Knight-Pips/dp/B00001QGS4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1319506828&sr=1-1
That includes a whole overview of them, through the 80's. Not too easy to come by some of
their early stuff, but hope this gives you a place to start :)

reese
10-24-2011, 10:00 PM
The best pre- Motown cd is called LETTER FULL OF TEARS: THE EARLY YEARS. It was released in 2008 by the Acrobat Music Group. It contains all of their pre-Motown material, with the exception of their first single on Brunswick.

http://www.amazon.com/Gladys-Knight-Pips-Letter-Tears/dp/B001AI9372/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1319507673&sr=1-3

Roberta75
10-24-2011, 10:36 PM
Sorry for the swear words bot god damn mother fucker.......This has got to be one of the best Motown songs ever.....There us just no fucking way that any other motown can compare to this......This is "THE" the "Almighty" my "Favorite" Motown, song period of all time.....I have gone through all my music and I keep going back to that......Gotta be my fave......Damn guys...........Mmmm

I appreciate and applaud your enthusiasm for this song but must add that I really can't condone your appalling language.

marv2
10-24-2011, 11:05 PM
I appreciate and applaud your enthusiasm for this song but must add that I really can't condone your appalling language.

If all it takes is to change your screen name and made-up persona to chastise others, then maybe Rick Perry needs to look into that as well...........

144man
10-25-2011, 06:59 AM
If all it takes is to change your screen name and made-up persona to chastise others, then maybe Rick Perry needs to look into that as well...........

I don't understand what this means.

nosey
10-26-2011, 11:58 AM
That got played in Philly but it wasn't a huge hit.

Ryon6
10-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Thank you very much for the information regarding the pre-Motown years.

Ryon6

motony
10-26-2011, 10:02 PM
"Take Me In Your Arms.....Me" was as you know their 2nd release on Motown & didn't really have any promotion.I loved the record.....at first, but it wasn't a record I would play over & over. I still enjoy hearing the first half of the record but then it kinda wears thin.It was a much better record then the first release Just Walk In My Shoes but not near as good as the 3rd Everybody Needs Love which I really think is a great song[[all versions, Mary Wells,Temptations, Velevelettes).IMHO

huntergettingcaptured
11-04-2011, 02:10 AM
My theory is that "Take Me In Your Arms and Love Me" didn't go over in the U.S. because it was too far ahead of its time -- the story arc of the song was the beginning-to-end chronicle of a woman's sexual arousal, and that Gladys sang it in an mature, adult manner. Perhaps Motown was too intimidated by the song's subject matter and subliminal eroticism to give it a major push.

BINGO!!!!!!!

First, I completely got the swear-words-filled praise for this track. i don't really cuss very much, but the first time I heard this song all I could say was DAMN! This song hit me hard, very hard. I loved the Funk Brothers' backing track on this- the way those drums were simple, but incredibly blunt and powerful. The strings, horns- everything about this song is spot-on.

Second, Jalowe1957, your comments were why I started this with BINGO!!! I was thinking how very adult the lyrics of this song are- when Gladys sings the line "This feeling is too strong to hold / any second now I'll explode..." I swear the temperature in whatever room I'm listening to this song increased by about 20 degrees. I think you're right about this being too far ahead of its time. Even now, considering how blatant song lyrics are today, this song still sounds incredibly feverish and far more adult than anything out there today.