PDA

View Full Version : MJ Trial expert witness: Dr. Murray acted like an employee, not a doctor

test

smark21
10-20-2011, 07:54 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15380271

Interesting testimony from an expert witness, anesthesiologist Dr. Steven Shafer. I think he's right that Dr. Murray was responsible, but it should also be added that I think Michael Jackson was shopping for a doctor who would give him his propofol. If it hadn't been Dr. Murray, it would have been someone else. Michael Jackson didn't want a serious doctor, he wanted an enabler, so in that respect, Jackson played a role in his own death.

soulster
10-20-2011, 08:43 AM
But, think about it: Jackson had been using propofol for years and survived quite nicely. Murray was incompetent at almost every level. It is possible that Jackson would still be alive if it had been someone other than Murray.

Murray practiced in the State of California without a licence, obstructed justice by lying and attempting to destroy evidence, and those are the only two I can think of right now. I'm not sure how these facts will play into involuntary manslaughter, for which he is charged.

BayouMotownMan
10-20-2011, 11:51 AM
I agree with Smark totally that MJ is to a high degree responsible for his own demise. It was well known that he had a drug dependance. Frankly I'm surprised he made it to 50.

But this does not excuse the doc. A real doctor would have denied this treatment because of the dangers involved. Now average citizens facing surgery are very fearful of propofil. I feel Conrad Murray at the very least should be stripped of his right to practice medicine.

BobC
10-20-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm with you. It was MICHAEL who demanded that Conrad get the job as his personal physician for the This Is It tour--AND he approved $100K per month as a salary, which most of MJ's management thought was a ridiculous amount of money. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why MJ wanted Murray so badly.

I have a friend who was at one of the rehearsals--and he told me that MJ was so out of it that he just collapsed into a chair. He couldn't really even perform. It was shocking. There is a reason why they play that one short clip of MJ dancing over and over again--it's because that rehearsal was one of the few where MJ was actually able to perform.

I am a severe insomniac and have to take Clomazapan to sleep at night. I'm a big guy, 6'2" 220 lbs, and one pill puts me out. MJ was half my size, and he had what amounted to 7 doses of a very similar drug in his system, along with the Propofol. Not good.

jobeterob
10-20-2011, 01:42 PM
If the Prosecution is able to prove the charges against Dr. Murray beyond a reasonable doubt - many of the matters mentioned above are going to be factors that will mitigate any sentence.

Murray was being paid a fortune by an addict for nothing other than to supply and supervise the drug use of an addict.

I believe the Anna Nicole Doctor was convicted and didn't get much of a sentence; but the loss of a Doctor's license to practice here would be appropriate.

BobC
10-20-2011, 03:56 PM
What I don't get is this: MJ had to take a physical to get insurance for the tour, and passed it--and yet the autopsy said MJ had track marks all over his body. Can anyone explain this?

BayouMotownMan
10-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Drug addicts have a variety of ways to cover these things. One can say they were Vitamin injections. Likely the needle marks didn't occur until after the physical

jobeterob
10-20-2011, 05:29 PM
LOL..........I also wonder what the premium was. You can buy anything if the premium is appropriate. $150000 a month for Dr. Murray; $3 Million for a one year policy!

BobC
10-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Maybe Michael was a diabetic for a while--then kicked it.

smark21
10-20-2011, 08:00 PM
I certainly think Dr. Murray should be held accountable for incompetence, neglilgence and being unethical. But that might be more of a job for the AMA or state medical boards. He should certainly never be allowed to practice medicine ever again. But I don't his incompetence and ineptitude means he should be found guilty of manslaughter. Of course his defense team has taken on a risky, and quite likely losing strategy, by arguing that Michael administered the fatal dose. If I were Dr. Murray's counsel, I would just admit that Dr. Murray is incompetent and unethical, but that's not reason enough to go to jail and try to argue that Michael was looking for an enabler for his addiction, not a competent, ethical doctor.

soulster
10-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Hi did not immediately notify the authorities in time. He withheld information and lied. I'm wondering why the DA didn't charge him with more, or if he could.