PDA

View Full Version : Supremes on Dean Martin DVD ... Nov 8th

test

johnny_raven
10-19-2011, 03:43 PM
http://www.amazon.com/King-Cool-Best-Martin-Variety/dp/B005LOBW0W/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1319053249&sr=1-3

carlo
10-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Which songs did The Supremes perform on the Dean Martin Show? It has slipped my mind. I remember they did "Mother Dear" and then I think they did a couple of standards? I seem to remember them standing around a podium, singing in a number with others.

reese
10-19-2011, 09:30 PM
They did MOTHER DEAR, and then a long LOVE MAKES THE WORLD GO 'ROUND medley with the other guests.

carlo
10-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Thank you Reese.

Laurel
10-20-2011, 09:50 PM
I never liked the Dean Martin show. He was very disrespectful of women. I'm shocked that a positive group like the Supremes would do his show.

carlo
10-20-2011, 10:09 PM
He was very disrespectful of women.

I don't know much about Dean Martin's history. He disrespected women on his show?

Laurel
10-20-2011, 10:17 PM
I don't know much about Dean Martin's history. He disrespected women on his show?

I remember he made a lot of sexist jokes putting down women and he had dancing girls on his show that were nothing but sex objects. I didn't like watching those dancing girls back when his show was on and I just didn't think he was very funny.

marv2
10-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Which songs did The Supremes perform on the Dean Martin Show? It has slipped my mind. I remember they did "Mother Dear" and then I think they did a couple of standards? I seem to remember them standing around a podium, singing in a number with others.

They sang in the finale with all of that episode's guest. They were all in a circle type formation and as each performers turn came, they walked around the circle, stopped and sang a song. That's what you see in the pic of the Supremes at that podium. I've had this show on DVD for a good long while now. hehehehehehe.....

marv2
10-20-2011, 10:26 PM

Dean Martin was the BEST! A really good guy and he just happened to be from OHIO!

carlo
10-20-2011, 11:22 PM
They sang in the finale with all of that episode's guest. They were all in a circle type formation and as each performers turn came, they walked around the circle, stopped and sang a song. That's what you see in the pic of the Supremes at that podium. I've had this show on DVD for a good long while now. hehehehehehe.....

I've seen the photo you're referring to, but I also remember seeing the footage on Youtube at some point. I think I have it saved somewhere. I always like getting these clips on DVD because it means restored audio and video, which is always an upgrade from our generational video copies.

scanspeak
10-21-2011, 05:40 AM
Dean was a ladies man and those were different times. I don't think you could say that he disrespected women.

Jimi LaLumia
10-21-2011, 06:10 AM
the dancing girls and the 1960's attitude toward women? you hadda be there..straight people loved this stuff!!

marv2
10-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I've seen the photo you're referring to, but I also remember seeing the footage on Youtube at some point. I think I have it saved somewhere. I always like getting these clips on DVD because it means restored audio and video, which is always an upgrade from our generational video copies.

I agree Carlo. I was lucky. My copy is very good. Almost as good as watching it on an early RCA Victor color television set in 1966. The set they use looks like a big "sun dial" and each artist gets a turn or two at singing a few verses of a song. By the way, Dean gives the Supremes a very complimentary introduction before they sang "Mother Dear".

randy_russi
10-21-2011, 12:30 PM
Mother Dear and Rock-a-Bye Your Baby With a Dixie Melody were performed on the Red Skelton Show. Mother Dear
was almost issued as a single.

Laurel
10-22-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm sorry, I just don't like Dean Martin. He might have given the Supremes a respectful introduction on his show, but he was reading from a cue card. I just remember his jokes. I didn't thing they were funny and my mother didn't like him either. There are plenty of men out there who "love" women in the bedroom but really don't like them anywhere else and if his jokes about women were any sign then I think he was one of those kind of men. I don't like men who don't like women. Women should be treated with respect as women and not be put down for being women or be nothing but sex objects.

marv2
10-22-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm sorry, I just don't like Dean Martin. He might have given the Supremes a respectful introduction on his show, but he was reading from a cue card. I just remember his jokes. I didn't thing they were funny and my mother didn't like him either. There are plenty of men out there who "love" women in the bedroom but really don't like them anywhere else and if his jokes about women were any sign then I think he was one of those kind of men. I don't like men who don't like women. Women should be treated with respect as women and not be put down for being women or be nothing but sex objects.

Dean Martin was great and I believe most people would agree with me. Anything he did was completely tame compared to some of these Rap Stars we have today. Those celebrity roasts were hilarious. I miss Dean, Frank, Sammy......the Rat Pack!