PDA

View Full Version : liverpool lp

test

redlabs
10-18-2011, 08:52 PM
hello sdf.
with the upcoming More Hits from the Supremes coming in a few i was listening to their albums today and i gave a listen to the Liverpool album for the first time [[in a long time as it's not a favorite).
after a listen , i found a few gems here including YOUVE REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME,WORLD WITHOUT LOVE,HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN.
bottom line, what do you think of this lp.do u like any of the songs? thanks david;)

johnjeb
10-18-2011, 09:26 PM
David, I bought this album in 1966 and didn't like it all that much. It was my 6th Supremes album so I had plenty else to listen to but I did listen to it enough to pick out favorites that are still favorites to this day.

On my iPod I have the three you mentioned plus "Because", "Do You Really Love Me" and "You Can't Do That" which is on youtube from Shindig!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfQhgHQPJJ8

the same night they did "Eight Days A Week",

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsW9NTfHoos

but I digress, as usual.

Liverpool sounds so different from the Motown productions we are used to. I think the attempt was to create a garage-rock sound which was popular at the time with the influx of the British boy bands. When you listen to the Liverpool album in that context it is pretty good. I enjoy it. That being said, I admit that there are some duds, I am not fond of "Hard Day's Night" and "Bits and Pieces".

Jimi LaLumia
10-18-2011, 11:27 PM
for me, the whole thing fell flat, part of a rush job, year long product glut..[[see my posts on the 'more hits by the supremes' thread)

kenneth
10-19-2011, 12:04 AM
I do think that "You've Really Got a Hold on Me" is one of the standout tracks. Ironic, because the Supremes were doing the Beatles doing the Miracles! So it was a bit of Liverpool via Detroit...

Other than that, it seemed so thrown together. Thin arrangements and Diane doesn't sound good vocally on most of the LP. It's been ages since I've heard it, but I recall her sounding particularly cloying and nasal on this LP.

randy_russi
10-19-2011, 07:27 AM
It was ok in creating a Beatles-band type sound with females singing. How Do You Do It, You Can't Do That, World Without
Love and Because were ok. I absolutely hate Bits & Pieces. It's irritatingly horrible!

alcestermotown
10-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Loved the Supremes. When this lp came out I was expecting a real attempt to bring the music on down to Motown, instead, they gave it a 3 guitars and a drummer sound, very poor. I was not a lover of this jingle jangle music anyway.

Motown Eddie
10-19-2011, 11:41 AM
hello sdf.
with the upcoming More Hits from the Supremes coming in a few i was listening to their albums today and i gave a listen to the Liverpool album for the first time [[in a long time as it's not a favorite).
after a listen , i found a few gems here including YOUVE REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME,WORLD WITHOUT LOVE,HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN.
bottom line, what do you think of this lp.do u like any of the songs? thanks david;)

I've never heard the complete A Bit of Liverpool album by The Supremes but the song that I have heard from it [["A Hard Day's Night" for example which was included on the Anthology collection back in 1974) does not work for me. Have you heard the Let The Music Play: Supreme Rarities 1960-1969 set? It has two tracks [["I Saw Her Standing There" & "Not Fade Away") from the sessions for ABOL and two other "british invasion" hits; "It's Not Unusual" and "I Can't Get No Satisfaction".

BayouMotownMan
10-19-2011, 12:42 PM
I bought this album when it first was issued and I was disappointed as well. I agree that it was a cash-in and surprisingly charted very well. It did show the group's versatility. I still cringe at "How Do You Do It" as each lady sang through her nose. Never knew what this was about. I never listen to the album or the Funny Girl lp either

kenneth
10-19-2011, 12:46 PM
I bought this album when it first was issued and I was disappointed as well. I agree that it was a cash-in and surprisingly charted very well. It did show the group's versatility. I still cringe at "How Do You Do It" as each lady sang through her nose. Never knew what this was about. I never listen to the album or the Funny Girl lp either

Maybe it was their attempt to imitate a British accent? Don't remember that...sounds horrendous.

motony
10-19-2011, 01:03 PM
I only liked the LP Cover.I laugh everytime I've heard "Bits N Pieces".

Glenpwood
10-19-2011, 02:29 PM
It's an ok record..... obviously knocked out rather quickly. I appreciate it from the standpoint of it has some great harmonies from DMF even if the tone is still quite nasal on a lot of it. My favorites are Because and You Can't Do That. I've always thought its existence came about because Berry wanted to cash in after having to cut [[in his opinion) an inferior royalty deal with Brian Epstein to put those Motown covers on the Beatles Second Album.

randy_russi
10-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I think this lp was issued to broaden their appeal and show their versatility. They also issued the C&W lp about this
time, didn't they?

redlabs
10-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Liverpool was released oct 64 ,whole CW@P came 2-65 and We Remember 4-65. or something like this

ejluther
10-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Even though it's not a great song I like the way their version of "Bits & Pieces" opens with the same type of clapping/stomping that opens "Where Did Our Love Go" [[and it's found at the beginning of "Baby Love", too, for that matter)

Have you heard the Let The Music Play: Supreme Rarities 1960-1969 set? It has two tracks [["I Saw Her Standing There" & "Not Fade Away")
I think "Not Fade Away" is pretty terrific - love the harmonies!

stephanie
10-19-2011, 11:47 PM
I like this album for the harmonies only! Its nice to hear Flo in the background on certain songs especially You Cant Do That!
I cringe when I hear like an arrow ZOOM on How do you Do though its funny. This album would have been much better if they had let Flo have the lead on House of the Rising Sun which backgrounds I adore Miss Ross was way too tinny on this.

I think if Ross had the lead on World Without Love and it was not a song in unison and they had Mary and Flo doing some backgrounds and thats it the song would have come across much better. Because is awesome! I wouldnt listen to this album everyday I only played it a lot because of the Mary and Flo angle.

honest man
10-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Terrible album, never play it, Diana doing a Millie Small[ my boy lolliipop fame] or was that Millie in the studio LOL,though i can see the reasoning why it was recorded Cheers.

johnjeb
10-23-2011, 12:21 PM
I have always defended the Liverpool album. Well, this weekend I listened to it in full. Ouch! I have 6 songs on my iPod that I do enjoy but I've forgotten how bad the other 5 songs are. The worst is the album's lead song "How Do You Do It", the girls sound more like the sister group to The Chipmunks than to The Temptations.

kenneth
10-23-2011, 12:24 PM
I have always defended the Liverpool album. Well, this weekend I listened to it in full. Ouch! I have 6 songs on my iPod that I do enjoy but I've forgotten how bad the other 5 songs are. The worst is the album's lead song "How Do You Do It", the girls sound more like the sister group to The Chipmunks than to The Temptations.

Thanks! You just spared me a painful aural experience!!!

RossHolloway
10-23-2011, 12:34 PM
While this is not my favorite Supreme's album, it's far from garbage. But to be perfectly honest, I was never a fan of the British Invasion nor their sound. I would never have bought the original versions of any of these songs [[except the Contours). I do give the Supremes and Motown credit for doing the album, its Motown taking on the British sound. I think way too many people hold the Beatles and the British sound as sacred and should never be touched. I personall think its all a bunch of BS. But if you want to talk about unlistenable go and listen to some of those British covers of Motown/Soul and American songs. Then we can talk and compare.

Jimi LaLumia
10-23-2011, 01:55 PM
I loved the UK bands and the Motown acts with an equal fervor in 1964/65/66 and The Beatles take on Motown classics is far superior to Motown's take on the Brit invasion, it may be because The Beatles really loved the Motown stuff, and it's obvious that this was a one sided love affair, at least until songs like "Yesterday" and "Michelle" started popping up,suitable for the Copa/lounge period of Motown

kenneth
10-23-2011, 03:26 PM
I loved the UK bands and the Motown acts with an equal fevor in 1964/65/66 and The Beatles take on Motown classics is far superior to Motown's take on the Brit invasion, it may be because The Beatles really loved the Motown stuff, and it's obvious that this was a one sided love affair, at least until songs like "Yesterday" and "Michelle" started popping up,suitable for the Copa/lounge period of Motown

I especially love the Beatles take on "Please Mr. Postman." That song is even more plaintive coming from a male singer.

A lot of people covered "You've Really Got a Hold on Me." The first line alone made it an instant classic. I think the strangest cover I ever heard of it was Cher and Greg Allman, from their LP "Allman and Woman." [[What a title!) They must have recorded their album quickly considering they were only married about 10 days!

ajk93
10-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Well... I love the album. I love the harmonies, and the way you
get to hear Mary and Flo. I love the album cover, and I love the
differerent sound it posesses. If I get bored of listening to some of their
other albums, this one is a good alternative to hear something "different".

I do agree, some British covers of American R&B and gross...namely you
Cilla Black [[how dare you cover Dionne so often:D).

kenneth
10-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Well... I love the album. I love the harmonies, and the way you
get to hear Mary and Flo. I love the album cover, and I love the
differerent sound it posesses. If I get bored of listening to some of their
other albums, this one is a good alternative to hear something "different".

I do agree, some British covers of American R&B and gross...namely you
Cilla Black [[how dare you cover Dionne so often:D).

But Dusty covered Bacharach and David pretty well, didn't she. I'm not so familiar with Cilla Black. She never really got big here in the US though I do like her voice.

Okay, off topic, but the Brit singer I was always amazed at was Helen Shapiro. That lady sounds like a man sometimes, her voice is so deep! Was she a big star? Some of our British members perhaps could let me know.

tomato tom
10-23-2011, 04:49 PM
I think I have probably only ever played the album about 4-5 times. I dug it out this afternoon, and remembered why. It hasnt aged well. Some tracks are ok, some atrocious. A rush job sure,but it does show how versatile the girls could be. An historical curiosity for sure..Paulo xxx

marv2
10-23-2011, 06:38 PM
While this is not my favorite Supreme's album, it's far from garbage. But to be perfectly honest, I was never a fan of the British Invasion nor their sound. I would never have bought the original versions of any of these songs [[except the Contours). I do give the Supremes and Motown credit for doing the album, its Motown taking on the British sound. I think way too many people hold the Beatles and the British sound as sacred and should never be touched. I personall think its all a bunch of BS. But if you want to talk about unlistenable go and listen to some of those British covers of Motown/Soul and American songs. Then we can talk and compare.

I disagree that the British Sound and the Beatles were a bunch of BS. I enjoy a lot of the music that the Beatles recorded and a good deal of the British Invasion songs. There was some real quality songs that came out of those years. The Supremes "A Little Bit of Liverpool" was a throw away album that I kept for no good reason.

stephanie
10-24-2011, 12:35 AM
Someone mentioned Helen Shapiro! She was like a non drugged up Amy Winehouse she was even better. Check out her version of My Guy on youtube she is the ONLY person I have heard sing that song as well as Mary Wells. What a unique voice.

marv2
10-24-2011, 12:40 AM
Someone mentioned Helen Shapiro! She was like a non drugged up Amy Winehouse she was even better. Check out her version of My Guy on youtube she is the ONLY person I have heard sing that song as well as Mary Wells. What a unique voice.

Stephanie, wasn't she the singer associated with Boy George and Culture Club?

stephanie
10-24-2011, 12:41 AM
No you are thinking about Helen Terry that wonderful voice that is in the Church of the Poison Mind and I forget the other song she was featured in.

marv2
10-24-2011, 12:44 AM
No you are thinking about Helen Terry that wonderful voice that is in the Church of the Poison Mind and I forget the other song she was featured in.

Yeah that's right, thanks. I wonder whatever happened to her?

stephanie
10-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Marv I found this interview with her in 2001 and it tells you what she is doing now.

http://web.swedevice.com/sistergeorge/morestuff/helenterry.asp

smark21
10-24-2011, 07:42 AM

I don't think A Bit of Liverpool was Motown trying to "take on" the British sound, it was just Motown's quickie attempt to cash in on it. Just like 20th century fox had Mary Wells do an album of Beatles covers.

roger
10-24-2011, 08:15 AM
I'd be interested to know when "You Really Got A Hold On Me" and "Do You Love Me" were recorded by THE SUPREMES .. They are the two Motown originals on the "Liverpool" LP and were presumably included as they had received a new lease of life when remade by British "Beat" groups. It wouldn't surprise me if they had been recorded before anyone in the US had heard of THE BEATLES, consigned to the vaults and then resurrected for this project.

With regard to HELEN SHAPIRO she was HUGE in Britain in 1961/2 and had two #1 hits .. "You Don't Know" and "Walkin' Back to Happiness" .. plus 3 other Top 10 entries .. however she was one of those singers who were swept off the best selling lists by THE BEATLES and their ilk. Her last UK Top 10 hit "Little Miss Lonely" was in July/August/September 1962, the first major UK success by THE BEATLES .. "Please Please Me" debuted on the UK charts in January 1963 and all of a sudden Miss Shapiro's records were out-dated.

Roger

reese
10-24-2011, 08:43 AM
I'd be interested to know when "You Really Got A Hold On Me" and "Do You Love Me" were recorded by THE SUPREMES .. They are the two Motown originals on the "Liverpool" LP and were presumably included as they had received a new lease of life when remade by British "Beat" groups. It wouldn't surprise me if they had been recorded before anyone in the US had heard of THE BEATLES, consigned to the vaults and then resurrected for this project.

With regard to HELEN SHAPIRO she was HUGE in Britain in 1961/2 and had two #1 hits .. "You Don't Know" and "Walkin' Back to Happiness" .. plus 3 other Top 10 entries .. however she was one of those singers who were swept off the best selling lists by THE BEATLES and their ilk. Her last UK Top 10 hit "Little Miss Lonely" was in July/August/September 1962, the first major UK success by THE BEATLES .. "Please Please Me" debuted on the UK charts in January 1963 and all of a sudden Miss Shapiro's records were out-dated.

Roger

Judging by their sound, I would think DO YOU LOVE ME and YOU'VE REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME were recorded specificially for this project. They fit in seamlessly with the rest of the remakes, in everything from the vocals to the instrumentation.

marv2
10-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Marv I found this interview with her in 2001 and it tells you what she is doing now.

http://web.swedevice.com/sistergeorge/morestuff/helenterry.asp

Thanks Steph! I'll check it out.

RossHolloway
10-24-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't think A Bit of Liverpool was Motown trying to "take on" the British sound, it was just Motown's quickie attempt to cash in on it. Just like 20th century fox had Mary Wells do an album of Beatles covers.

Motown was just beginning to hit its stride in the fall of 1964. I seriously doubt the powers that be at Motown thought that a British cover album was going to sell a million copies. To me it was more of an in your face, we can do the same thing and cover your songs just like you've covered ours. I also thought it was an album intended to broaden the Supremes appeal to a larger whiter and international audience. It worked..

RossHolloway
10-24-2011, 09:36 AM
I disagree that the British Sound and the Beatles were a bunch of BS. I enjoy a lot of the music that the Beatles recorded and a good deal of the British Invasion songs. There was some real quality songs that came out of those years. The Supremes "A Little Bit of Liverpool" was a throw away album that I kept for no good reason.

I did not call the Beatles or the British sound BS, I said their hype was BS. They definitely have their place in musical history, just not my taste. The Rolling Stones, in my opinion, were the best of the lot. But even the Stones will admit that they were just copying American blues and soul artists.

And the Beatles versions of Please Mr. Postman and Twist & Shout is the musical equivilant of Tony Martin's Ask Any Guy. Just sayin..

marv2
10-24-2011, 10:13 AM
I did not call the Beatles or the British sound BS, I said their hype was BS. They definitely have their place in musical history, just not my taste. The Rolling Stones, in my opinion, were the best of the lot. But even the Stones will admit that they were just copying American blues and soul artists.

And the Beatles versions of Please Mr. Postman and Twist & Shout is the musical equivilant of Tony Martin's Ask Any Guy. Just sayin..

You did so! You just have a very nasty disposition about just about everything!

RossHolloway
10-24-2011, 10:26 AM
You did so! You just have a very nasty disposition about just about everything!

Dude or whoever you are, just ignore my posts. I find your posts and what you bring to this board to be of absolutely no value.

marv2
10-24-2011, 12:22 PM
Dude or whoever you are, just ignore my posts. I find your posts and what you bring to this board to be of absolutely no value.

Further proof of your nasty, mean spiritness......

tamla617
10-24-2011, 12:35 PM
bits and pieces was by the dave clark five from..[[drum roll) ...TOTTENHAM [[symbols keeeeeeeesh), north london.i cant imagine why it was included on a scouse themed lp

BayouMotownMan
10-24-2011, 12:47 PM
All bitching aside, I don't take the Liverpool lp for more than what it is or was...another product out on a very hot group of Supremes. It sold very well making it into the Top 25 best selling lps and even charted on the Soul lp charts. There are some highlights. Because is quite nice and Ross's version of Got A Hold On Me is also noteworthy. For the fans, it was just Motown giving us something to go with until another killer studio lp could be readied...that being the soon to be re-issued More Hits By The Supremes, IMHO, their best studio album of the sixties

roger
10-24-2011, 02:25 PM
bits and pieces was by the dave clark five from..[[drum roll) ...TOTTENHAM [[symbols keeeeeeeesh), north london.i cant imagine why it was included on a scouse themed lp

AND .. "House of the Rising Sun" .. had been a major hit for THE ANIMALS .. who hailed from Newcastle Upon Tyne .. I can't imagine that the Geordies were too thrilled being lumped in with the Scousers. :)

Mind you, the whole LP was really more of a homage to the whole "British Invasion" and I doubt if too many US residents were too bothered about the intricacies of English geography .. I also can't imagine that many people in Liverpool wore "city gent" outfits like MDandF were wearing on the cover either .. LOL ..

Roger

P.S. .. Translation note for non British SDFers ..

Geordie = Person from Newcastle Upon Tyne in North Eastern England.

Scouser = Person from Liverpool in North Western England.

marv2
10-24-2011, 06:19 PM
AND .. "House of the Rising Sun" .. had been a major hit for THE ANIMALS .. who hailed from Newcastle Upon Tyne .. I can't imagine that the Geordies were too thrilled being lumped in with the Scousers. :)

Mind you, the whole LP was really more of a homage to the whole "British Invasion" and I doubt if too many US residents were too bothered about the intricacies of English geography .. I also can't imagine that many people in Liverpool wore "city gent" outfits like MDandF were wearing on the cover either .. LOL ..

Roger

I liked "House of the Rising Sun". That was a good record!

Laurel
10-24-2011, 06:24 PM
This album sounds like a lot of fun. I'll keep my eye out for it when I go to my garage sales and flea markets.

marv2
10-24-2011, 06:28 PM
This album sounds like a lot of fun. I'll keep my eye out for it when I go to my garage sales and flea markets.

You might want to check out Ebay for it. It is the largest flea market on Earth!

Laurel
10-24-2011, 06:31 PM
You might want to check out Ebay for it. It is the largest flea market on Earth!

I've bought things on ebay, but it's a lot more fun to actually find it for real! Nothing like finding a treasure and paying for it with cash right there and then at a garage sale. Besides finding something fun or special at a garage sale or a flea market, there's just the fun of meeting people and hearing about their lives or what they collected or talking about what we had as kids or the things our kids collected when they were still living at home.

tamla617
10-24-2011, 06:34 PM

Roger

the city suits etc. was another nod to how britain was perceived along with steed,cathy gale and emma peel!,and the idea any british pop group must all come from the north west. the residents of liverpool 8 would understand!

marv2
10-24-2011, 06:40 PM
the city suits etc. was another nod to how britain was perceived along with steed,cathy gale and emma peel!,and the idea any british pop group must all come from the north west. the residents of liverpool 8 would understand!

....and don't forget Mr. French from "Family Affair"! That is exactly how we imagined the British to be back in those days! Well dressed and very proper. LOL!!!!

skooldem1
10-24-2011, 06:48 PM
I had a satellite station playing in the background while I was doing things today. Just by chance I heard a song and the voice sounded kind of familiar. It was the Supremes singing a Beatles song. Don't remember the title. I said to myself, what a coincidence. The gang is discussing this now on SDF. Besides hearing the group sing "Yesterday/Michelle, or 8 days a week on Youtube, I've never heard these Beatles songs. I don't like any of their music except for "Yesterday" and "Let it be". So I never had a desire to hear the Supremes cover their songs. I too think that most if not all of the British versions of Motown songs that I've heard aren't good. I wish I caught the name of the song, but a couple of things did stand out. Diana wasn't too whiny and the music didn't sound like Motown at all. That's what I expected, a Motown sounding Beatles song. So I must say, it was both suprising and refreshing to hear the group on record singing a song that didn't sound like Motown at all.

kenneth
10-24-2011, 10:05 PM
I had a satellite station playing in the background while I was doing things today. Just by chance I heard a song and the voice sounded kind of familiar. It was the Supremes singing a Beatles song. Don't remember the title. I said to myself, what a coincidence. The gang is discussing this now on SDF. Besides hearing the group sing "Yesterday/Michelle, or 8 days a week on Youtube, I've never heard these Beatles songs. I don't like any of their music except for "Yesterday" and "Let it be". So I never had a desire to hear the Supremes cover their songs. I too think that most if not all of the British versions of Motown songs that I've heard aren't good. I wish I caught the name of the song, but a couple of things did stand out. Diana wasn't too whiny and the music didn't sound like Motown at all. That's what I expected, a Motown sounding Beatles song. So I must say, it was both suprising and refreshing to hear the group on record singing a song that didn't sound like Motown at all.

Ross did some great versions of Beatles songs, but much later, so I think you'd know the difference. Her versions of "Come Together" and "Long and Winding Road" are really outstanding, from her second solo LP. But you seem pretty sure it was an earlier version with the Supremes.

roger
10-25-2011, 06:57 AM
Well .. I've been trawling youtube for tracks from the LP and look what I found ..

"Bits And Pieces" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENWfEbrkrII

"You Can't Do That" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2lmphAXVTk

"House Of The Rising Sun" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdNcL4TrQk0

"I Want to Hold Your Hand" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a784JbB7xaU

"Can't Buy Me Love" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLwZ17mrOM8

And a remake of a BEATLES tune that didn't make the LP ..

"When I Saw Him Standing There" ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkoQd9Rkv4I&feature=related

Not exactly my taste in music but interesting all the same ..

AND ..

Their version of "You Really Got A Hold On Me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYmjFhMUJQw

Listening to it I think Reese was right .. it does sound like a Motown remake of the version by THE BEATLES as opposed to a canned Motown version!!

Roger

kenneth
10-25-2011, 09:26 AM
And I found a few more...

"Do You Love Me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQHlNbdm_Zk&feature=related

"I Feel Fine" [[a live clip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOB7fNFIqzk&feature=related

"8 Days a Week" [[a live clip - very poor quality, be warned)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuMu5vKWnb4&feature=related

"Satisfaction" [[Shouldn't this have been on the Liverpool album? Yeah, yeah I know they weren't from Liverpool...but neither were the Animals, the Dave Clark Five, the Marvelettes, the Contours or the Miracles...!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLmevCYMqvE&feature=related

"Because"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8S6zZsD4Tc

From the clips above, I was surprised to hear their version of "You Can't Do That." It's actually pretty good, with a nice [[as usual brief) guitar solo in the middle. I still think "You Really Got a Hold on Me" is the standout track. A great vocal by Diane, much more soulful than she usually sounds and in good voice, even better than I remembered.

skooldem1
10-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I dont remember the song title, but I did catch "The Supremes" and something like "Motown sings the Beatles".

kenneth
10-25-2011, 09:45 AM
I dont remember the song title, but I did catch "The Supremes" and something like "Motown sings the Beatles".

Here's the track listing for that compilation if it helps. It's a great collection. The Supremes "Come Together" is with Jean Terrell on lead, not Ross, from their second LP.

http://www.amazon.com/Motown-Meets-Beatles-Various-Artists/dp/B000001A7Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1319550227&sr=1-2

1. A Hard Day's Night - The Supremes 2. Eleanor Rigby - The Four Tops 3. We Can Work It Out - Stevie Wonder 4. Hey Jude - The Temptations 5. Yesterday - Marvin Gaye 6. The Long and Winding Road - Diana Ross 7. Come Together - The Supremes 8. She's Leaving Home - Syreeta 9. You Can't Do That - The Supremes 10. Fool On The Hill - The Four Tops 11. Michelle - The Four Tops 12. And I Love Her - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles 13. Something - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas 14. Let It Be - Gladys Knight & The Pips 15. Imagine - Diana Ross 16. My Love - Jr. Walker 17. My Sweet Lord - Edwinn Starr

skooldem1
10-25-2011, 09:55 AM
I only caught the last minute or so of the song, but I don't recall it being "A hard days night". I know it wasn't the "long and winding road" or "Imagine". I'm confused now. I will have to listen to these clips after work.

roger
10-25-2011, 10:31 AM
"Satisfaction" [[Shouldn't this have been on the Liverpool album? Yeah, yeah I know they weren't from Liverpool...but neither were the Animals, the Dave Clark Five, the Marvelettes, the Contours or the Miracles...!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLmevCYMqvE&feature=related

"Satisfaction" by THE ROLLING STONES didn't come out until the summer of 1965, about 6 months after the release of the "Liverpool" LP Kenneth.

Incidently, I read somewhere recently [[wish I could remember where) that the driving rhythm of "Uptight" by STEVIE WONDER was inspired by "Satisfaction" .. certainly the timeline of the recordings would fit that theory.

Roger