PDA

View Full Version : "Nightflight" Tue Oct 18, 9P-12M ET:"Supremes 50th Anniversay Singles" w/Andy Skurow!

test

midnight johnny
10-17-2011, 08:46 PM
THIS is the formal thread.....

I'm very excited to have with me on "Nightflight" Producer Andy Skurow as we air "The Supremes 50th Anniversary Singles Collection" for the first time. This was produced byy Andy and George Solomon [[CHEERS to YOU too, George!) Your questions are welcome.... post your questions for Andy here for Tuesday Nights show! Oh....and please...no phonecalls tonight...I'll be on the line for a few hours. Thanks!

Andy and George and Harry [[Weinger)and Kevin [[Reeves)....thanks so much for allowing the airing to take place on "Nightflight".

See Y'all tomorrow night....on "Nightflight"...on WOMR 92.1 Fm Provincetown and WFMR 91.3 FM Orleans and streaming live worldwide in digital stereo at www.womr.org [[http://www.womr.org)

Thanks...and thanks Andy and George!!!
John

johnjeb
10-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Questions for Andy:

I'm still on the fence about whether to get this or not since I have everything many times over.

Can you address the packaging and booklet please. The Hip-O site states this is designed similar to TCMS. Would it be safe to assume that the essays about the songs are the same that are found in TCMS? Or are they edited to a shorter form? Or are they completely new?

It might be nice to have all of these essays and anecdotes from TCMS in one volume on one artist. Same for The Temptations set [[is that why it only goes up to 1971?). Maybe the same can be done for other artists. A nice way to recycle TCMS, possibly.

Also, what size are the picture sleeves reproductions? Are all the US sleeves pictured?

This set would be nice to have just for the mono versions of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Me" and "Going Down For The Third Time". I prefer both over the stereo versions.

It's tempting to want to get. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas List.

Thanks John & Andy.

sophisticated_soul
10-17-2011, 11:07 PM
Great news Johnny, Andy is always such a great interviewee! The Supremes 50th is a beautiful looking, great sounding collection. I'm very happy with it. Once again Andy, George, Harry and company have done a fantastic job. Many thanks for the love and care they took with this set.:) See you Tuesday John.:cool:

My favorite Supremes single: Let Me Go The Right Way/Time Changes Things

marybrewster
10-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Kudos to midnightjohnny for bringing another quality program to the airwaves.

And as always, thank you to Andy and George and Harry and Kevin and Company for bringing another quality product to the fans.

Unfortunately [[or fortunately?), I just learned that an old high school friend is in town from Alaska [[for one night only, naturally), so unless this show is archived, I'll miss it! Big mascara tears!

My question WOULD have been..... :)

When a lush release, such as "The Supremes 50th Anniversary Singles Collection" is conceived and later executed, it's quite obvious that it is a labor of love by all involved. What particularly excites me about this upcoming release [[and all of the Expanded Editions prior and post) is that one can tell that plenty of research was conducted, and in many cases, many of the "original players" were involved in the "process"; the writers, the producers, and of course, the Supremes individually.

Mary has a long history of involvement with almost every release [[at least the ones that I have purchased) and as we saw with "Let Yourself Go: Final Sessions", Cindy, but especially Scherrie and Miss Susaye, were quite involved as well. I personally think this makes the end product, especially the booklets and liner notes, much more incredible, and I dare say, credible.

Can you tell us me [[us?) a little bit of the process when involving the former Supremes? Interviews are obviously conducted; are these done in person? Via phone? Who conducts these interviews? Do the Supremes have a "final say" in the finished product? And can we assume that Mary [[and possibly Cindy?) were involved in this new 50th Anniversary Collection?

And now for the big question: Has Diana ever been contacted for input, insight on any Supremes releases, such as this one? I think it was mentioned, during the "LYG: Final Sessions" interview on this show that Mary, Scherrie and Miss Susaye received "advanced copies" of the set: when a release that features Diana is completed, does she receieve one as well? And if so, has there ever been any feedback?

I'm sorry to bombard you with so many questions; feel free to pick and choose one that might be easy to answer; or maybe just answer this simple question: besides RuPaul, who is your favorite drag queen? :)

Seriously though: thank you again to everyone involved in the process of bringing these super, superb, supreme releases to the masses. You probably aren't told enough, but honey, you all is terriffic.

xo

And for the record, over the years, Mary Brewster and her "girls" have "performed" only FOUR Supremes songs: "Up the Ladder" [[which was our showstopper), "Love Child" [[barefoot.....and smoking[[!), when you could still smoke in clubs), "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" [[a holiday classic, with FANTASTIC background vocals), and my favorite Supremes song "Reflections". I think we've got that choreography down better than Diana, Mary and Cindy ever did! Ha!

midnight johnny
10-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Questions for Andy:

I'm still on the fence about whether to get this or not since I have everything many times over.

Can you address the packaging and booklet please. The Hip-O site states this is designed similar to TCMS. Would it be safe to assume that the essays about the songs are the same that are found in TCMS? Or are they edited to a shorter form? Or are they completely new?

It might be nice to have all of these essays and anecdotes from TCMS in one volume on one artist. Same for The Temptations set [[is that why it only goes up to 1971?). Maybe the same can be done for other artists. A nice way to recycle TCMS, possibly.

Also, what size are the picture sleeves reproductions? Are all the US sleeves pictured?

This set would be nice to have just for the mono versions of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Me" and "Going Down For The Third Time". I prefer both over the stereo versions.

It's tempting to want to get. Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas List.

Thanks John & Andy.

Thanks, John, for the questions!
John

midnight johnny
10-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Great news Johnny, Andy is always such a great interviewee! The Supremes 50th is a beautiful looking, great sounding collection. I'm very happy with it. Once again Andy, George, Harry and company have done a fantastic job. Many thanks for the love and care they took with this set.:) See you Tuesday John.:cool:

My favorite Supremes single: Let Me Go The Right Way/Time Changes Things

Joseph...thanks!!! See you tonight!

midnight johnny
10-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Kudos to midnightjohnny for bringing another quality program to the airwaves.

And as always, thank you to Andy and George and Harry and Kevin and Company for bringing another quality product to the fans.

Unfortunately [[or fortunately?), I just learned that an old high school friend is in town from Alaska [[for one night only, naturally), so unless this show is archived, I'll miss it! Big mascara tears!

My question WOULD have been..... :)

When a lush release, such as "The Supremes 50th Anniversary Singles Collection" is conceived and later executed, it's quite obvious that it is a labor of love by all involved. What particularly excites me about this upcoming release [[and all of the Expanded Editions prior and post) is that one can tell that plenty of research was conducted, and in many cases, many of the "original players" were involved in the "process"; the writers, the producers, and of course, the Supremes individually.

Mary has a long history of involvement with almost every release [[at least the ones that I have purchased) and as we saw with "Let Yourself Go: Final Sessions", Cindy, but especially Scherrie and Miss Susaye, were quite involved as well. I personally think this makes the end product, especially the booklets and liner notes, much more incredible, and I dare say, credible.

Can you tell us me [[us?) a little bit of the process when involving the former Supremes? Interviews are obviously conducted; are these done in person? Via phone? Who conducts these interviews? Do the Supremes have a "final say" in the finished product? And can we assume that Mary [[and possibly Cindy?) were involved in this new 50th Anniversary Collection?

And now for the big question: Has Diana ever been contacted for input, insight on any Supremes releases, such as this one? I think it was mentioned, during the "LYG: Final Sessions" interview on this show that Mary, Scherrie and Miss Susaye received "advanced copies" of the set: when a release that features Diana is completed, does she receieve one as well? And if so, has there ever been any feedback?

I'm sorry to bombard you with so many questions; feel free to pick and choose one that might be easy to answer; or maybe just answer this simple question: besides RuPaul, who is your favorite drag queen? :)

Seriously though: thank you again to everyone involved in the process of bringing these super, superb, supreme releases to the masses. You probably aren't told enough, but honey, you all is terriffic.

xo

And for the record, over the years, Mary Brewster and her "girls" have "performed" only FOUR Supremes songs: "Up the Ladder" [[which was our showstopper), "Love Child" [[barefoot.....and smoking[[!), when you could still smoke in clubs), "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" [[a holiday classic, with FANTASTIC background vocals), and my favorite Supremes song "Reflections". I think we've got that choreography down better than Diana, Mary and Cindy ever did! Ha!

marybrewster...WOW....thanks! I'm very grateful Andy, George and Harry...for giving me the opportunity to share their productions with listeners and Motown fans...and for taking their time to share the priceless information they have with us.
John

hwume
10-18-2011, 01:45 PM
I am looking forward to hearing Andy tonight as well. There is one question asked above about the text [[track-by-track essays) that Andy can answer and flesh out further during the show, but allow me to preface his answer with this:

For both of the new 50th Anniversary Temptations and the Supremes collections, the track-by-track essays were edited and sometimes re-written from the original drafts for the Complete Motown Singles series. Not too much wrong with those drafts, originally written by Keith Hughes and Bill Dahl, then edited into final shape by yours truly. But these artist box set projects presented an opportunity to revisit those stories, and put in things originally taken out, add new material learned from the last publication, and/or make any other necessary corrections/updates, etc. Andy and George really "did the business" with the Supremes text, I did my best with the Temptations, and both were swooped around to proofreaders, including each other as well as Keith again - all with the format in mind, wishing to keep the text to one solid page in the booklet [[with a few exceptions).

Enjoy!

midnight johnny
10-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Harry...thank you so very much!
John

jobeterob
10-18-2011, 05:16 PM
So Vancouver is 3 hours behind Boston in time.

Andy sent me a Facebook link to pick up and get the station.........so I'm gonna try that.

It should start at 6 PM our time.

This is one worth listening too for sure!

carlo
10-18-2011, 05:42 PM
I really wish I could tune in, but I am supposed to be in class until 10 PM...hopefully the lecture will end early enough for me to catch some of the show. :[[

Laurel
10-18-2011, 06:25 PM
This show sounds exciting. I'll have to tune in and hear the great songs and memories of Diana Ross and The Supremes. Could you please play I Hear A Symphony? That song has such dear memories for me. I got my first real kiss from a boy at a school dance dancing to that song!

midnight johnny
10-18-2011, 06:57 PM
This show sounds exciting. I'll have to tune in and hear the great songs and memories of Diana Ross and The Supremes. Could you please play I Hear A Symphony? That song has such dear memories for me. I got my first real kiss from a boy at a school dance dancing to that song!

Laurel....welcome! I think we will be playing that one...thanks for asking!

midnight johnny
10-18-2011, 06:59 PM
So Vancouver is 3 hours behind Boston in time.

Andy sent me a Facebook link to pick up and get the station.........so I'm gonna try that.

It should start at 6 PM our time.

This is one worth listening too for sure!

Rob...I think that link and the link above are the same...

midnight johnny
10-18-2011, 07:09 PM
I really wish I could tune in, but I am supposed to be in class until 10 PM...hopefully the lecture will end early enough for me to catch some of the show. :[[

Hope we see you Carlo!

redlabs
10-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Hello Johnny, looking forward to your show an dspecial guest Andy!
hello Andy and welcome back.
from the previous thread,my favorites supremes singles are LOVE IS AN ITCHING IN MY HEART,REFLECTIONS/KEEP ME HANGIN ON,LOVE CHILD.
favorite non single; ASK ANY GIRL. i know it may be in the liner notes but could you shed some light on this song.it has become a favorite.
also, i know you can;t talk about sales but could you talk about; how successful this album was as apposed to the other hit albums[always heard GO GO and WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO ]were the two best selling???? so could you [maybe] tell us what the top 5 supremes album were?
last q....... were there any surprises in this collection for you??? thanks david from baltimore

midnight johnny
10-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Hello Johnny, looking forward to your show an dspecial guest Andy!
hello Andy and welcome back.
from the previous thread,my favorites supremes singles are LOVE IS AN ITCHING IN MY HEART,REFLECTIONS/KEEP ME HANGIN ON,LOVE CHILD.
favorite non single; ASK ANY GIRL. i know it may be in the liner notes but could you shed some light on this song.it has become a favorite.
also, i know you can;t talk about sales but could you talk about; how successful this album was as apposed to the other hit albums[always heard GO GO and WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO ]were the two best selling???? so could you [maybe] tell us what the top 5 supremes album were?
last q....... were there any surprises in this collection for you??? thanks david from baltimore

David....thanks and thanks for the questions. Always glad to have you here representing Fell's Point!

sophisticated_soul
10-18-2011, 08:02 PM
I think the first thing I noticed about the set is that the cover graphics are much more attractive in person than the photos of it that I've seen. I think that's because the spine color that overlaps on to the front cover [[which is not included in any photo I've seen) balances the colors on the rest of the cover. All aspects of this package show great care and great love. Thanks again guys.:cool:

marybrewster
10-18-2011, 08:14 PM
Knock 'em dead tonight you guys! I am flying out the door as we speak and should be back, just missing the first half hour of the show. I hope I don't miss the answers to my 114 questions! :)

xo

midnight johnny
10-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Knock 'em dead tonight you guys! I am flying out the door as we speak and should be back, just missing the first half hour of the show. I hope I don't miss the answers to my 114 questions! :)

xo

We'll hold off for you, marybrewster [[not the show, silly...your questions[[smile))....let us know here when you return......thanks!

JimBagley
10-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Have a great show John. I'll be listening.

Jim

Glenpwood
10-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Hey Johnny... Managed to get the night off and so looking forward to the show...enjoy!

dba
10-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Looks like you are starting right at the beginning. Go John!

bradsupremes
10-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Looking forward to the show!!

My favorite Supremes single....."Forever Came Today"

It was the perfect song to end a brilliant partnership. In my opinion, the most profound love song HDH ever wrote and produced for the group.

carlo
10-18-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm here!! It's a miracle! The professor ended class one hour early. I took the bus and ran home! I made it! :D

redlabs
10-18-2011, 09:12 PM
a great opner! yes it Mary and Flo

jobeterob
10-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Negligence. Not against the law but you need to pay for this. We'll need to consider the penalty!

carlo
10-18-2011, 09:17 PM
MJ, if you're taking requests, please play "Things Are Changing". Also, don't forget to play "Baby Love". :) Please and thank you!

lovechild
10-18-2011, 09:19 PM
hi John looking forward to the show tonight ..hi Andy

carlo
10-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Thank you Sophie for posting the artwork of this set in its full glory. It looks very nice and as you say, much more attractive than the previous cover scans I've seen on the internet.

Glenpwood
10-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Here's two question for Andy,

Since we were blessed with the extended endings on the Diana Ross & The Supremes number ones compilation, is there any gems as far as the endings of the number twos and below singles we haven't heard yet or any thought to releasing them on something?

Oh, and did you have any input or assistance in the upcoming Ross Hits Collection coming out in the UK this November?

sophisticated_soul
10-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Thank you Sophie for posting the artwork of this set in its full glory. It looks very nice and as you say, much more attractive than the previous cover scans I've seen on the internet.

You're welcome Carlo. I'm glad you made it, especially since you had to run!:) You're a true fan.:cool:

johnjeb
10-18-2011, 09:30 PM
John, please never play "Never Again" ever again.

I agree with you, it is simply dreadful. It is the only song from "Meet The Supremes" that I did not put on my iPod. However, I do like "Play A Sad Song" which has a similar sound.

John

jobeterob
10-18-2011, 09:33 PM
No one likes Diana's hair......bad bad; does kinda fowl up the photo! Still buying it though.

carlo
You're welcome Carlo. I'm glad you made it, especially since you had to run!:) You're a true fan.:cool:

lol. Thank you! :) I had to "Run, Run, Run"!!

marybrewster
Hurray; I made it! And am glad to see that Carlo is here as well!

Loving the interview!

carlo
10-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Welcome MaryBrewster! Whoever you are! :)

sophisticated_soul
10-18-2011, 09:37 PM
lol. Thank you! :) I had to "Run, Run, Run"!!

Fortunately you didn't have to "Stop! In The Name Of Love"!:p:rolleyes:;)

redlabs
10-18-2011, 09:40 PM
whew.....i lost power...and it just came back on. that would have been NOTHING BUT HEARTACHES.

carlo
10-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Fortunately you didn't have to "Stop! In The Name Of Love"!:p:rolleyes:;)

You know I don't do that! It's because I don't want any "love childs". :)

sophisticated_soul
10-18-2011, 09:46 PM
"Let Me Go The Right Way", my favorite - thanks John!:cool:

redlabs
10-18-2011, 09:52 PM
i never heard him say Diane,lol. what book.? love LET ME GO THE RIGHT WAY also

sophisticated_soul
10-18-2011, 09:54 PM
You know I don't do that! It's because I don't want any "love childs". :)

Oh, my bad, "I'm livin' In Shame".:p:rolleyes::cool:

sophisticated_soul
10-18-2011, 09:57 PM
love LET ME GO THE RIGHT WAY also

In the sets' book it says Berry initially chose "Time Changes Things" for the a-side but reconsidered and went with "Let Me Go The Right Way". I can understand that because I love both songs equally!:cool:

jobeterob
10-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Was my 71st choice for a photo!

How can you guys make me talk against DianA! But that's a bad head of hair.

carole cucumber
10-18-2011, 10:03 PM
No one likes Diana's hair......bad bad; does kinda fowl up the photo! Still buying it though.

Just what is Miss Diana hiding under her wig? Did she just come back from Disneyland and didn't want Flo & Mary to see her souvenir Mickey Mouse ears so she hid it under her wig?

Sorry for the salacious post.

Glenpwood
10-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Those sculptured wigs required larger wig boxes that could hold Dianas pet Maltese's for plane travel... I bet poor Tiffany and Bit Bit fell asleep in the box and accidentally got left in the wig when it got plopped on her head..... Hehe

RossHolloway
10-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Are the other Supremes on Run, Run, Run?

jobeterob
10-18-2011, 10:22 PM
With Andantes I bet.

RossHolloway
10-18-2011, 10:34 PM
Ask Any Girl- I could totally hear Mary Wells singing this song.

carole cucumber
10-18-2011, 10:36 PM
The date HDH record [Ask Any Girl] is the same date they record [Love [[Makes Me Do Foolish Things)]. Kim did record vocals for [Love], perhaps there are Kim vocals for [Ask].................................................. .

jobeterob
10-18-2011, 10:41 PM
Barbara Martin is a Doctor!!! I dont think I have heard that!

jobeterob
10-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Plus DianA did say she loved the money from Blue! Good answer Andy; most informative ever.

sophisticated_soul
10-18-2011, 10:55 PM
In the German version poor Diana can't decide if she wants Johnny or if she wants Joe.:confused:
Pick me! Pick me! LOL!!!!!!!!!!:)

carole cucumber
10-18-2011, 10:59 PM
For the foreign versions, persons who spoke those languages were in the studio to help out- in fact, it's been reported that a guy from Germany was flown in who didn't know much English. I'm sure that that heightened the tension level for the Supremes in the studio.

carlo
10-18-2011, 11:06 PM
In the German version poor Diana can't decide if she wants Johnny or if she wants Joe.:confused:

lol!! I never thought about the lyrics of that version before....hahahaha. True.

sophisticated_soul
10-18-2011, 11:18 PM
lol!! I never thought about the lyrics of that version before....hahahaha. True.

Yeah, in the sets' book it says the German lyrics of "Come See About Me" are totally different from the English lyrics. In German Diana is "torn between two lovers who are constantly fighting over her", but she can't decided between them because she is in love with both Johnny and Joe. Some of the text spells Johnny as Jonny.

texassoul
10-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi John. Been locked on and listening from the shadows!! Qwality show as always. Thanks for uploading to YouTube. I've missed your remixes.

redlabs
10-18-2011, 11:24 PM
is there a version of MY WORLD IS EMPTY that has the backing vocals more upfront? it seems to far pushed in the background.
what do you think of the MOTOWN STORY version of YOU KEEP ME HANGIN ON. I think it is also on the PLAYLIST CD. i think that is the best version of YKMHO.totally cool mix

redlabs
10-18-2011, 11:27 PM
the SINGLES COLLECTION is not up on ITUNES? thought it was available for download?
love ITCHING IN MY HEART,...i am chair dancing.

carole cucumber
10-18-2011, 11:39 PM
Is it possible that that version of [Going Down] could be remixed to stereo and made available?

texassoul
10-18-2011, 11:44 PM
John, this question has probably already been asked, but did the Andantes get a recording contract of their own? If not, why not?

carlo
10-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Great show! Thanks guys!

johnjeb
10-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Wonderful show John & Andy. This collection will be on my birthday or Christmas wish lists.

Thanks for playing "Going Down For The Third Time".

I think Diana bears a slight resemblance to Wanda Rogers in this picture from the CD cover.

sophisticated_soul
10-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Great show John, thanks! Thank you for being here Andy, I really enjoy your insights and stories. Thanks everybody for joining in.:cool:

Motown Andy
10-19-2011, 12:10 AM
John, thank you so much for having me on your show. It's always an incredible experience and I always have so much fun doing it. Thanks to everyone who listened. I tried to answer all of your questions, but if I missed any, please email or post them again and I will try to answer them. I look forward to coming back in a few weeks to discuss More Hits with John and George. Have a great night everyone!

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 01:01 AM
Andy...the pleasure was all mine. Thanks for sharing your heart and all the information that is so interesting and important.

And to all of you folks that spent time with us....thanks for letting us spend time with you ALL! Thanks for your support, your questions...a BIG THANKS!

John

jobeterob
10-19-2011, 01:25 AM
Thanks Andy and John.

I couldn't stay for all of the show but that was the most informative interview from a fan's viewpoint. I've not heard a better one.

It kind of shoots all the many ideas that are presented for how many records the Supremes, Diana Ross or any other Motown artist sold ~ basically, quite a few, but pick your number and nobody really knows.

I also enjoyed Andy's caution about believing and validating the "salacious" gossip.

Also glad to hear that Diana receives these CDs even if she doesn't participate in them and that she is happy with them.

So, I guess because we aren't Mary, Berry or Smokey ~ her name is DianA and we should address her as such; oh right, the alternative he says is Miss Ross. Got it.

A very good shew..........and no, I don't think Ed ever called her Diane.

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Have a great show John. I'll be listening.

Jim

Glad you were here, Jim!

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:06 AM
Hey Johnny... Managed to get the night off and so looking forward to the show...enjoy!

Glenpwood....thanks!
John

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:08 AM
Looks like you are starting right at the beginning. Go John!

David....glad you could be here! Thanks!

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Looking forward to the show!!

My favorite Supremes single....."Forever Came Today"

It was the perfect song to end a brilliant partnership. In my opinion, the most profound love song HDH ever wrote and produced for the group.

bradsupremes...thanks!!

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:19 AM
I'm here!! It's a miracle! The professor ended class one hour early. I took the bus and ran home! I made it! :D
Hey carlo...you got here early...YEA!

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:21 AM
hi John looking forward to the show tonight ..hi Andy

TONY!!!! Forgive me....so glad you were here!

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:22 AM
John, please never play "Never Again" ever again.

I agree with you, it is simply dreadful. It is the only song from "Meet The Supremes" that I did not put on my iPod. However, I do like "Play A Sad Song" which has a similar sound.

John

John....YES! Never again for "Never Again"!

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:27 AM

Actually, Rob, I don't hate Diana's wig at all...it's just a bit odd...but I would like to see the sides and back to get a better feel for it....

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:28 AM
"Let Me Go The Right Way", my favorite - thanks John!:cool:

Joseph....very glad it was one of the few I played [[*smile)....

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:42 AM

Joseph....thanks for THAT! But she picked ME...because I didn't BEG! [[*grin)

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Hi John. Been locked on and listening from the shadows!! Qwality show as always. Thanks for uploading to YouTube. I've missed your remixes.

Mike..glad you revealed yourself! Thanks!!!

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:45 AM
John, this question has probably already been asked, but did the Andantes get a recording contract of their own? If not, why not?

Mike...sorry and Dammit! Great question and I missed it!

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:46 AM
Great show! Thanks guys!

Thanks Carlo!!!

smark21
10-19-2011, 07:47 AM
Barbara Martin is a Doctor!!! I dont think I have heard that!

I've heard Barbara Martin was a nurse, not a Doctor. Barbara Ross, Diana's sister, is a Doctor.

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Wonderful show John & Andy. This collection will be on my birthday or Christmas wish lists.

Thanks for playing "Going Down For The Third Time".

I think Diana bears a slight resemblance to Wanda Rogers in this picture from the CD cover.

Thank you, John! And I see what you mean about Diana's "Wandaesqueness" [[don't tell her *smile).

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Great show John, thanks! Thank you for being here Andy, I really enjoy your insights and stories. Thanks everybody for joining in.:cool:

Thanks, Joseph...YOUR insights are always appreciated, too!

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:53 AM
Thanks Andy and John.

I couldn't stay for all of the show but that was the most informative interview from a fan's viewpoint. I've not heard a better one.

It kind of shoots all the many ideas that are presented for how many records the Supremes, Diana Ross or any other Motown artist sold ~ basically, quite a few, but pick your number and nobody really knows.

I also enjoyed Andy's caution about believing and validating the "salacious" gossip.

Also glad to hear that Diana receives these CDs even if she doesn't participate in them and that she is happy with them.

So, I guess because we aren't Mary, Berry or Smokey ~ her name is DianA and we should address her as such; oh right, the alternative he says is Miss Ross. Got it.

A very good shew..........and no, I don't think Ed ever called her Diane.

Thanks Rob!!

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Folks...I just responded to a number of your posts, just because I couldn't last night. Most I what I didn't comment on, I think, was addressed during the show. Thanks to you all for your questions and involvement. John

RossHolloway
10-19-2011, 09:26 AM
I originally thought that I was just going to pass on this release, but now I think I will go ahead and buy it. It wasn't so much the songs/music that sold me but the liner notes and written material that has sold me.

marybrewster
10-19-2011, 11:19 AM
midnightjohnny; kudos on another success. Andy; you were spectacular as always. Those 3 hours just flew by! It's almost as though you could do a Part II. [[wink)

In regards to Diana's wig: I don't hate it either. Having a teensie bit of experience in the field, I would almost guess that it's "bumped" or rounded in the back. To me, it almost has the same look at Flo's wig that she's wearing on the cover of "Sing HDH", or the cover of Mary's book "Dreamgirl".

I would guess the pic on the cover of the 50th set was taken sometime around 1965; to me it's very "Supremes Meet the Beatles". Does anyone know much about the photo session?

jobeterob
10-19-2011, 11:24 AM
This might be my last thought on Diana's wig............I think she's got a couple gel packs in there; 40 years later they were using them for breast implants; she was just ahead of her time again.

And I bet she was singing Never Again about her hair in that picture...........cuz luckily, we did not see it again.

RossHolloway
10-19-2011, 11:50 AM
can't believe some people are obsessing over a wig. That's the take away from 3 hours with Andy? A wig?

jobeterob
10-19-2011, 12:22 PM
No no no; the wig was just fun; and it was a surprise that for most people, it was noticed and wasn't a real favorite.

But the show was excellent. Andy is the voice of rationality. If only most Supremes fans would take his words to heart, perhaps it would encourage a reunion; because the unhappiness and harshness on the Net have damaged everything Supreme.

And Andy gave us word on Diana's involvement in these projects [[minimal) and on the sales of Supremes records [[no one knows); very valuable interview; very impressive interview.

Still that wig...........

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 12:24 PM
midnightjohnny; kudos on another success. Andy; you were spectacular as always. Those 3 hours just flew by! It's almost as though you could do a Part II. [[wink)

In regards to Diana's wig: I don't hate it either. Having a teensie bit of experience in the field, I would almost guess that it's "bumped" or rounded in the back. To me, it almost has the same look at Flo's wig that she's wearing on the cover of "Sing HDH", or the cover of Mary's book "Dreamgirl".

I would guess the pic on the cover of the 50th set was taken sometime around 1965; to me it's very "Supremes Meet the Beatles". Does anyone know much about the photo session?

marybrewster...you are so MUCH more than kind [[*smile). Thank you! And you are so right...Andy was spectacular...even being under the weather.

rosshollaway...now you should know Jobeterob well enough by now that it shouldn't surprise you that he just loves to poke a pig with a stick...in THIS case, not a pig...but a wig....

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 12:26 PM
No no no; the wig was just fun; and it was a surprise that for most people, it was noticed and wasn't a real favorite.

But the show was excellent. Andy is the voice of rationality. If only most Supremes fans would take his words to heart, perhaps it would encourage a reunion; because the unhappiness and harshness on the Net have damaged everything Supreme.

And Andy gave us word on Diana's involvement in these projects [[minimal) and on the sales of Supremes records [[no one knows); very valuable interview; very impressive interview.

Still that wig...........

Rob....thank you....

carlo
10-19-2011, 01:26 PM
If only most Supremes fans would take his words to heart, perhaps it would encourage a reunion; because the unhappiness and harshness on the Net have damaged everything Supreme.

As the saying goes, change starts with each and every one of us.

I've also always loved all of the Supremes and I have never felt the need to put one down in order to exalt another, like many fans tend to do.

RossHolloway
10-19-2011, 01:53 PM
As the saying goes, change starts with each and every one of us.

I've also always loved all of the Supremes and I have never felt the need to put one down in order to exalt another, like many fans tend to do.

Applause, applause. I could not have said it any better.

thommg
10-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Well, it seems I'm late getting in here with my gratitude to Johnny and Andy for such a great show last night. This was my first Nightflight but not my last. So much information and so wonderful to hear the more obscure songs on the radio! Thanks for a wonderful few hours.

Brad, I'm with you regarding Forever Came Today. It's one of my favorite Supremes songs and something totally different than what I would have expected from The Supremes or HDH.

I was going to get the Complete Singles release anyway but now it will be sooner rather than later. [[Hearing the mono of Going Down For The Third Time will do that to a person).

rod_rick
10-19-2011, 02:48 PM
Well, it seems I'm late getting in here with my gratitude to Johnny and Andy for such a great show last night. This was my first Nightflight but not my last. So much information and so wonderful to hear the more obscure songs on the radio! Thanks for a wonderful few hours.

Brad, I'm with you regarding Forever Came Today. It's one of my favorite Supremes songs and something totally different than what I would have expected from The Supremes or HDH.

I was going to get the Complete Singles release anyway but now it will be sooner rather than later. [[Hearing the mono of Going Down For The Third Time will do that to a person).

Hey John
Are the shows archived?

sophisticated_soul
10-19-2011, 03:44 PM
Joseph....thanks for THAT! But she picked ME...because I didn't BEG! [[*grin)

I ain't to proud to beg sweet darlin', besides it's our song anyway Johnny.:)

ejluther
10-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Hey John
Are the shows archived?

My question, too - I'd love to hear this and missed it when it was live...thanks.

George Solomon
10-19-2011, 05:27 PM
I was in Australia thinking of you all last night. I'm sure Andy was wonderful as always. Can't wait to come on and chat again, Johnny!

jobeterob
10-19-2011, 05:34 PM
I dont think they are archived...........but I have this recollection that John Lester somehow got a couple of good shows sent to me............somehow, someone downloaded them as they happened or something.

We need to get John Lester to return to SD; charm him boys.

ejluther
10-19-2011, 05:49 PM
but I have this recollection that John Lester somehow got a couple of good shows sent to me............somehow, someone downloaded them as they happened or something.
Well, if that could happen and they could be shared that would be terrific - I'd love to hear the show [[as well as many of the others)...

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 08:44 PM
I ain't to proud to beg sweet darlin', besides it's our song anyway Johnny.:)

.....and it will ALWAYS be our song......[[*smile)

berry101
10-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Andy , Trust you are feeling better than you were last evening . I managed to catch the first hour last night - yahoo listened over the internet. Wish I could have heard the rest of the program but was not able to. What I did hear was great and very informative. Keep up the great work with the reissues and the stories and take care

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 09:17 PM
I was in Australia thinking of you all last night. I'm sure Andy was wonderful as always. Can't wait to come on and chat again, Johnny!

George....we missed you!!! Can't wait for you to come back again!!!

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 09:20 PM

thommg...thanks so much....glad you were with us for the show, and please join us every week.
John

midnight johnny
10-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Hey John
Are the shows archived?

Rod....hi! The shows are not archived, but WOMR is able to post the shows as podcasts. But at this time, the WOMR station muckity mucks say that I am not able to air the music that is played during the show due to copyright issues. That requires me to edit out the music from a 3 hour show....very time consuming. I have been in touch with Harry Weinger to find out exactly what copyright issues there may be, because maybe it isn't a problem in the scheme of things. I am awaiting his response.
So presently, I have 3 podcasts on the WOMR website, of interviews...2 with The Velvelettes, 1 with Janie bradford, and one with Frances Nero [[sadly with none of their music).
Did I answer your question [[*smile)?
John

stephanie
10-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Did John Lester leave SDF! Say it aint so!