PDA

View Full Version : A Touch Of Classic Soul mag - Thom Bell, the Pointer Sisters

test

mellow_q
10-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Dear Classic Soul Music fans,

I hope this correspondence finds you in the best of health and spirits.

Please note that the latest issue of A Touch of Classic Soul: The Music You Love from Back in the Day is now available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-SOUL-NEWSPAPER-THOM-BELL-POINTER-SISTERS-ELGINS-/380377198429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58903f6f5d[/URL]

Featured in this issue are ...

THOM BELL
THE POINTER SISTERS
MABLE JOHN
THE ELGINS
THE VAN DYKES

To my subscribers, you are in the mail.

Thank you again for your support and Be Blessed!!!

Soulfully yours,

Marc Taylor
aloivta2@aol.com

alanh
10-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks Marc - really looking forward to the Thom Bell article. Looks like another great edition!

mr_june
10-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah! Some updated info on TB. Thanks Mark.

nosey
10-20-2011, 02:27 PM
Got mine yesterday and will dig in tonight.

MIKEW-UK
10-20-2011, 02:40 PM
Marc, is it available as a subscription download for folks outside of the US?

mellow_q
10-20-2011, 06:06 PM
to all; THANK YOU!!!

Mike: Please contact me at aloivta2@aol.com

luke
10-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Great issue as usual! I never knew that Yvonne Allen had recorded with the Elgins on Motown. I thought she joined after they left Motown! Always learning Motown history. Interesting Mr Dawson didnt want to explain why Saundra left group. Great job Marc!

mellow_q
10-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks Luke. I was under the impression that Saundra left because of the "wanted to spend more time with the family" thing, and was VERY surprised when Johnny Dawson's response was "I don't really want to get into that." I guess you can draw your own conclusions, and perhaps it explains why the Elgins weren't bigger.

luke
10-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Marc-I also got the impression-somewhat between the lines-that Ruth is still mad at Bonnie. And yet Bonnie has indicated they will be doing more together!

juicefree20
10-26-2011, 02:07 PM
Marc

As usual, great work & having met & being a fan of her songs "Your Good Thing [[Is About To Come To An End)" & "I'm A Big Girl Now", it was very nice to read about Mable.

As for The Elgins, I was also a bit surprised by Johnny Dawson's response.

Another excellent job!

JimBagley
10-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Marc,
Another great issue. It was so nice to have the latest issue of A Touch Of Classic Soul to read on the plane. The Elgins piece was my favorite as well.

mellow_q
10-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Sorry to just be getting back in here. To all, thanks for your kind words.

I'm kind of surprised to get such favorable feedback on the Elgins story. I'm my biggest critic, and I didn't think too much of it; at least not in comparison to the ones on Mable John and Thom Bell. Nevertheless, thanks again.

luke
10-27-2011, 01:45 PM
The Thom story was fantastic. Great to see him get more attention-he deserves it. Such a great in-depth story. Marc-I wasnt clear why he left the Delfonics-just to move on?

mellow_q
10-27-2011, 06:51 PM
As far as the business side of the music business, Thom Bell was a "babe in the woods" during his partnership with the Delfonics. Ultimately, he left the group because their manager / Philly Groove Records owner Stan Watson wasn't paying him what he was supposed to get. At least, that's what he told me. I've heard rumors of clashes with the lead singer and his ego, but TB didn't "go there."

JimBagley
10-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Marc,
I enjoyed all of the articles in this issue, but I guess what grabbed me most about The Elgins was the realization that their chance at stardom ended because of Saundra leaving due to illness and this was something out of everyone's control. It just made me sad [[or sadder, since I was sitting on a plane, being squished from people on both sides as I read this issue).

Jim

nysister
11-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Marc,

I just finished reading this issue, and I really enjoyed it, especially the Tom Bell interview. Keep up the good work my brother and may God continue to bless you.

tresjolie
11-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Marc- all i can say right now is FIVE YEARS!!! Finally!!!!lolol

nosey
11-03-2011, 03:09 PM
The first article I read was on the Elgins. When I saw how long Thom Bell's article was I couldn't get into it initally. Finally read it last night. Those articles are always chock full of tidbits and regarding Stan Watson, his derrings do were legendary in Philly.

mellow_q
11-03-2011, 07:43 PM
J-Bags: Sorry you got jammed up like that; literally..

NY Sis & Nosey: Thanks much for your kind words!!

Tres: Thanks for ... well ... you know.

Marc T
aloivta2@aol.com