PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama Appoints Shakira to Advisory Board

test

jobeterob
10-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Barack Obama Appoints Shakira to Advisory Board

President appoints Colombian star Shakira to Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics

October 7, 2011

President Barack Obama has appointed Colombian pop star Shakira as a member of the President's Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics.

In a press release announcing four new appointees to the same advisory committee, the president named Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll, recognized for her continued work with children in Latin America.

The statement says, "Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll… is a Grammy Award-winning singer, songwriter, record producer, and dancer. In addition to her career in music, Ms. Mebarak Ripoll has been involved in a number of global educational efforts. She founded the Barefoot Foundation in 1995, which operates schools and educational projects in Colombia, South Africa, and Haiti, feeding and educating approximately 6,000 children. In 2010, she collaborated with the World Bank and the Barefoot Foundation to establish an initiative that distributes educational and developmental programs for children across Latin America. In 2008, Ms. Mebarak Ripoll served as the Honorary Chair of the Global Campaign for Education's Global Action Week. In 2005, she became a founding member of Latin America in Solidarity Action, a coalition of artists and business leaders seeking to promote integrated early childhood public policies. Ms. Mebarak Ripoll became a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund in 2003, where she promotes the expansion and improvement of comprehensive early childhood care and education across the world."

[[Photo by PR Photos)

splanky
10-10-2011, 09:26 AM
You know a lot of people are yelling, screaming and soiling their pants over this at a number of sites all over the web but
the facts are that Shakira has been working hard for children and human rights for more than 15 years now, giving her time AND money. She is also one of the most sucessful Hispanic artists ever making her a high profile person who can draw a lot
of attention to her causes. She has more experience with this kind of work than Wyclef Jean and he tried to run for President, no less, of Haiti,almost solely on his popularity.I'm sure the late Celia Cruz if she were here would be quite proud of her as I am, and I'm not even Hispanic. Besides, it is a membership in an Advisory Commission. Republicans and some
Dems too are acting like President Obama gave her one of our cities!Geesh!....

juicefree20
10-11-2011, 10:37 PM
I may be a bit out of touch if her work has gotten wide-spread notice but it seems as though she deserves more attention for her work & we deserve to hear less about some artists & their nonsense.

I'm glad to hear some positive news about a young artist for a change.